Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

Old lady accidentally litters? Eradicate civilisation.

Control is a horrifying future in which all species live by the whims of an unstable, sexually aggressive maniac.
Look, you romance Diana Allers, you're not exactly one to talk about horrifying futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Look, you romance Diana Allers, you're not exactly one to talk about horrifying futures.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite poontang on the Citadel.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

Monstrosities? Horrific? Glorified cosmic roombas ruled by a defective program? These are terms of those who don't get it, and are incapable of getting it. The players, like Shep, are inherently in the dark. There is no permutation of ways to play ME that proves the Reapers wrong.

Oh, get off your high horse. You are basing your whole argument on Leviathan, which is basically the testament to the fundemental brokeness of the ending. What does it tell you that the Catalyst and his thesis literally had so little basis in the preceeding narrative, that a whole new chapter needed to be retconned in an attempt to justify it? (Nevermind the fact that you had to pay for the privilege of getting a more sensible story, and that it reduced the Reapers to be the end-result of some almightly idiots forgetting to program their AIs with the laws of robotics.)

In the vanilla game, all you get is the Catalyst telling you about the dangers of synthetics, despite the facts that what you have been shown about the motivations the obvious example of his thesis, the Geth, doesn't fit this story, and more importantly (since this is about a video game after all) what you have done as a player has either resulted in peace between the Geth and the Quarians, the out and out destruction of the Geth, or the Geth fighting on your side to preserve other lifeforms. What you are told, by the self-admitted leader of your enemy no less, runs contrary to what you have been shown and done.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 25, 2013

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It was never about organics and synthetics come on

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't see why people think it's all about organics and synthetics, when the only people who really talk about the relationship between organics and synthetics are the game's primary antagonists, and they only do that when you ask them what their motivation is.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Organics and synthetics are a shorthand for intergenerational conflict, not a thing in and of itself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Utritum posted:

Oh, get off your high horse. You are basing your whole argument on Leviathan, which is basically the testament to the fundamental brokeness of the ending.

No, I'm basing it off what Leviathan says, what the Catalyst says, what Javik says (remember, his people got blindsided dealing with their own Synthetic War), how closely the Gs and Qs came to war and how likely the Qs are going to gently caress things up, etc. Like it or not, but the game provides a lot more backing for what the Reapers do making sense.

Shep (or the players playing him) sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "Nuh uh gently caress you dad we're totes spehshul snowflakes la la la I can't hear you!" does nothing.

Utritum posted:

What does it tell you that the Catalyst and his thesis literally had so little basis in the preceeding narrative, that a whole new chapter needed to be retconned in an attempt to justify it?

It was always there. The first game starts in a universe where a Creator/Created war is known to all, and its revealed later that such a war is common in the history of the galaxy.

Utritum posted:

In the vanilla game

Immaterial.

Utritum posted:

what you have done as a player has either resulted in peace between the Geth and the Quarians, the out and out destruction of the Geth, or the Geth fighting on your side to preserve other lifeforms. What you are told, by the self-admitted leader of your enemy no less, runs contrary to what you have been shown and done.:

What have you done? You either brokered a fragile peace convenience at gunpoint*, had the Created wipe out their Creators, or let the Creators commit genocide.

* Because the Creators in our totally proof we're different has a great track of good, rational decisions...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would be kind of funny if the player had been allowed to argue that not one AI they've encountered throughout the entire trilogy has posed any real threat to organics, only for the Catalyst to counter by pointing out the window, at the Reapers.

Checkmate :shepface:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
There was that gambling AI that threatened to blow you up in the first game!

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

Immaterial.

Come on. Don't tell me you are actually arrogant enough to defend the practice of selling supposedly vital parts of a story in chunks.

EDIT:

For the record, I agree with the previous posts about the story being about intergenerational conflicts. The problem is that the story suddenly drops that so it can throw around some high-faluting ambiguity about the singularity.

Like if Babylon 5 suddenly turned into Battlestar Galactica in the middle of its last episode.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 25, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Computers are dumb as heck.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's pretty bizarre to defend the story of Mass Effect 3 by appealing to the DLC. It's like defending the Star Wars prequels by appealing to all those ridiculous EU books.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Utritum posted:

Like if Babylon 5 suddenly turned into Battlestar Galactica in the middle of its last episode.

Actually the last ten minutes of the last episode of the Battlestar Galactica reboot and the last ten minutes of Mass Effect 3 have a frightening amount of stuff in common. Most namely that they're both really dumb.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

It was quietly stealing money so it could get off the Citadel until you rumbled it. You monster :smith:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

2house2fly posted:

It was quietly stealing money so it could get off the Citadel until you rumbled it. You monster :smith:

I offered to let it go, but it decided to blow itself up instead. It's not my fault it was really stupid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Artificial "intelligence" indeed :smug:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
And technically EDI did go a little crazy with the neurotoxin stuff on Luna...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Utritum posted:

Come on. Don't tell me you are actually arrogant enough to defend the practice of selling supposedly vital parts of a story in chunks.

I'm not speaking to that practice, one way or another. What I am speaking to is the immaterial nature of outdated content. Portal used to end with Chell passing out, free. Then it ended with her being dragged back into the facility. The original free-from-Aperture ending? Don't bring it up, it doesn't exist.

The same is true of Mass Effect.

I consider the DLC stories to be reinforcement of the existing story concept that some players either didn't pick up on, or foolishly dismissed. Don't like/believe what the Catalyst said? Here's the creators of the Reapers saying it, and a dude whose empire was distracted by a Creator/Created war saying it.

Hell, the devs even gave you an option to reject/disbelieve what the Catalyst says. Sure, it winds up with your species and every species you know getting pulped, forcing the next cycle to make the choice, but still.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Irrelevant to whether or not DLC is a good practice I think the context in which ME3 and specifically its ending was written is more important to criticizing it as rushed, incomplete feeling, and poorly forshadowed at best.

It's not as awful as people made it out to be to me but it's really, really not good, it's incoherent even with the context of the DLC and Extended Cut, and just is not a good ending to an otherwise competent game and great trilogy.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
ill be real with you guys

i still havent beat me3

i got me1 the day it came out, beat it + dlc's maybe 10-20 times. same with me2. got me3 at midnight when it came out, stopped playing before the final mission, haven't touched it since

is it worth beating yet

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

ill be real with you guys

i still havent beat me3

i got me1 the day it came out, beat it + dlc's maybe 10-20 times. same with me2. got me3 at midnight when it came out, stopped playing before the final mission, haven't touched it since

is it worth beating yet

All commentary on the plot aside, the final mission is pretty fun video gaming and you should play it if you enjoy Mass Effect.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

All commentary on the plot aside, the final mission is pretty fun video gaming and you should play it if you enjoy Mass Effect.

i remember all the hubub about the final mission choices - how did they change them?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i remember all the hubub about the final mission choices - how did they change them?

They didn't really change much, they just kind of expanded them (the original endings were super abrupt.) They also added one weird one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dumb question: Does Balak show up post Priority: Tuchanka, or before it? He hasn't shown up for me, and I did do Bring Down The Sky...

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Dumb question: Does Balak show up post Priority: Tuchanka, or before it? He hasn't shown up for me, and I did do Bring Down The Sky...

Post. He shows up after the coup.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not speaking to that practice, one way or another. What I am speaking to is the immaterial nature of outdated content. Portal used to end with Chell passing out, free. Then it ended with her being dragged back into the facility. The original free-from-Aperture ending? Don't bring it up, it doesn't exist.

The same is true of Mass Effect.

No, it's not. DLC is optional content that is something you need to pay for and, in all honesty, should not be considered in the context of Mass Effect 3's ending. This is exactly the same defence that grognards like to make of film series like the Matrix or Star Wars - 'it all makes sense if you read the novels', or, in this case, 'it all makes sense if you get the DLC'.

Portal is different because, from what I can tell, it is a mandatory patch and update that all users received.

You'd think it would be obvious storytelling 101 - if you have to write additional stories to make your main plot make sense then you've hosed up somewhere along the way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

No, it's not. DLC is optional content that is something you need to pay for and, in all honesty, should not be considered in the context of Mass Effect 3's ending.

I reject that line of thought entirely. The only acceptable way to discuss Mass Effect is to incorporate all the DLC into the discussion. I don't care if you didn't download it (or ignoring it since it put another two OI CREATOR/CREATED RELATIONS IS KINDA A THING IN THIS GAME, FOLKS signs into the game), it's out there and it's part of the story. Reject any of it, and you're referencing your own fan fiction, not the real game.

And I'm pretty sure I can install Portal with my Orange Box disks and tell Steam not to update. Voila, the only way to discuss Portal is having her escape the facility at the end.

Milky Moor posted:

You'd think it would be obvious storytelling 101 - if you have to write additional stories to make your main plot make sense then you've hosed up somewhere along the way.

Given how a lot of people legitimately thought the whole Creator/Created thing came out of nowhere - or that the deliverer of that message was incorrect or wrong, it would seem to me that the DLC served a bonus purpose aside from more adventures - making the underlying theme of the game as blatantly obvious as humanly possible to ensure that everyone understood.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Or maybe - and this is more accurate - the main theme was poorly communicated and did come out of nowhere given that it was created at the eleventh hour by two people who sequestered themselves off from the development team?

You realise that Mass Effect is not a real history, right? When the vast majority of people think the ending is disappointing and incoherent, it's not the fault of the majority for 'not getting' Bioware's art - Bioware evidently hosed up in actually telling the story and establishing that creator/created was the central focus and conflict of their epic cinematic space action hero video game romance simulator trilogy.

edit: Also, appealing to Javik - the one character whose running theme and joke is that his prejudices make him out of touch with the rest of the galaxy? :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 25, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

No, it's not. DLC is optional content that is something you need to pay for and, in all honesty, should not be considered in the context of Mass Effect 3's ending. This is exactly the same defence that grognards like to make of film series like the Matrix or Star Wars - 'it all makes sense if you read the novels', or, in this case, 'it all makes sense if you get the DLC'.

They don't offer Star Wars novels as supplementary materials while watching The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema. That's a pretty poor analogy.

DLC isn't pretty, particularly in this case, but those aren't the same thing at all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

They don't offer Star Wars novels as supplementary materials while watching The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema. That's a pretty poor analogy.

DLC isn't pretty, particularly in this case, but those aren't the same thing at all.

Matrix series and the Animatrix then. :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I mean, not that this discussion really matters. Mass Effect 3 is going to be remembered as the game with the horrible, nonsensical ending regardless.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Matrix series and the Animatrix then. :shrug:

Not made by the same creative crew and doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion. I don't remember people recommending the Animatrix as a fix to the Matrix's issues. Mass Effect 3's DLC is pretty interesting in this context and probably shouldn't be lazily dismissed, that said, it shouldn't have been required to 'understand' Mass Effect 3 itself, if that's how people feel.

Wasn't my issue, or really what I took away from that content, but it's a pretty common complaint.

EDIT: Huh, apparently the Wachowski siblings did contribute to Animatrix. Never knew that. Huh.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 25, 2013

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sassassin posted:

Old lady accidentally litters? Eradicate civilisation.

Control is a horrifying future in which all species live by the whims of an unstable, sexually aggressive maniac.

yeah but they're also a gigantic mary sue so everything will be fine

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Whorelord posted:

yeah but they're also a gigantic mary sue so everything will be fine

Yeah, Control just makes it official that Shepard's pretty much in charge of all policy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Or maybe - and this is more accurate - the main theme was poorly communicated and did come out of nowhere given that it was created at the eleventh hour by two people who sequestered themselves off from the development team?

But the end result, regardless of developmental origin, was entirely coherent with the rest of the game. I played 1 and 2 completely blind and clearly saw the underlying theme was the conflict between organic life and synthetic life. It permeated both games.

Milky Moor posted:

You realise that Mass Effect is not a real history, right? When the vast majority of people think the ending is disappointing and incoherent, it's not the fault of the majority for 'not getting' Bioware's art

No, I just think it speaks to the ability for a small subset of gamers to be obnoxious over things they don't understand. We get it, some gamers have gently caress-you-dad issues. Good on Bioware for not changing their game because of it.

Milky Moor posted:

edit: Also, appealing to Javik - the one character whose running theme and joke is that his prejudices make him out of touch with the rest of the galaxy? :shrug:

His running theme is how wrong our characters were about things they have no idea about. Shep is proven wrong about the Reapers by the Catalyst, just as Liara is proven wrong about the Protheans by Javik.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I reject that line of thought entirely. The only acceptable way to discuss Mass Effect is to incorporate all the DLC into the discussion. I don't care if you didn't download it (or ignoring it since it put another two OI CREATOR/CREATED RELATIONS IS KINDA A THING IN THIS GAME, FOLKS signs into the game), it's out there and it's part of the story. Reject any of it, and you're referencing your own fan fiction, not the real game.

And I'm pretty sure I can install Portal with my Orange Box disks and tell Steam not to update. Voila, the only way to discuss Portal is having her escape the facility at the end.
You're sort of getting into Death of the Author territory here. I played portal before the ending was retconned, so that was my experience, and nothing Valve does now can change that. Han always shot first in Star Wars. With ME3, thousands (millions?) of people played the game through to the end and were disappointed. The extended cut is an OPTIONAL download - free, but still entirely optional. It wasn't patched in automatically unlike the portal ending, and even if it was, that doesn't help the people who's narrative was experienced immediately post release. It's not an automatic part of the experience.

Different people get different narratives and it's pointless discussing the 'true' events because the games were designed to have different events happen to different shepards. Fallout 3 is the best example of this I can think of - my wanderer left the vault and hosed around for months before even starting to find his dad, and only grudgingly did so to open up more fun side quests.

If you're going to say you don't care if I got any DLC, then frankly I want you to know that I don't care about the 'right' way to play the game, and the interactive nature of the medium is kind of more on my side than yours. My point is that you can't say 'you aren't looking at all the facts' when the entire point of DLC is that it's extra content. The ge you play at the time you play it is the experience you have, and for a ton of people, Leviathan wasn't part of their experience.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If DLC is suddenly necessary content to get the full experience, then studios probably shouldn't charge you for it.

And let's just disregard the fact that Leviathan wasn't released until well after Mass Effect 3 was done and dusted for a lot of people (it was about six months afterwards). It's not like Javik who essentially came with the game.

quote:

No, I just think it speaks to the ability for a small subset of gamers to be obnoxious over things they don't understand.

...so Bioware made the Extended Cut to appease a 'small subset' of gamers? What's it like being one of the few to truly 'understand' Mass Effect? Why do you think you are the one who truly 'got it' when virtually everyone else got a different response?

Come on, buddy, try harder. You haven't even mentioned entitlement yet.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 25, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Being completely fair to Mass Effect 3 here, if the Reaper motivation was also just 'harvest species so new species get a chance to evolve and survive' without the organic/synthetic weirdness, it'd be markedly better. Of course, that would also make them a rehash of Freespace's Shivans, so...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's not a big deal. Lots of fun sci-fi is chock full of rehashing. Though I'd replace "so new species get a chance to evolve and survive" with "destroy advanced species so that can't get strong enough to take us on but leave primitives so they can evolve and we might turn them into a new reapers later". More malevolent. And that's pretty much what I thought it was going to be after ME2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Being completely fair to Mass Effect 3 here, if the Reaper motivation was also just 'harvest species so new species get a chance to evolve and survive' without the organic/synthetic weirdness, it'd be markedly better. Of course, that would also make them a rehash of Freespace's Shivans, so...
Yeah, I liked that version as well, or even the lovecraftian idea of unknowable horrors that view us as little more than insects that they seemed to be going for with Sovereign. Unfortunately if Lost proved anything, it's that most people throw a hissy fit if everything's not explained outright, even if the explanation ends up worse than the mystery.

• Locked thread