Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
8sms is my personal favorite for SMS app. It's the Cyanogenmod/AOSP based one. Quick reply is pretty awesome.

Another popular one is Textra, but I wasn't a fan.

Hangouts just feels really clunky. If they're going to separate the threads like that, I'll use a more convenient app for texting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Just use hangouts.

And hope no-one sends you an MMS (or an iOS group message).

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Stevie Lee posted:

I know MMS works great in hangouts. Don't know about iOS group messages.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

McPhearson posted:

I know MMS works great in hangouts. Don't know about iOS group messages.

They work great too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stevie Lee posted:

Its December 2013. All that works fine.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I missed a bunch of messages from my boss while I was using Hangouts earlier this month.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I tried Hangouts for a few days and removed it, conversations weren't threading.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stevie Lee posted:

I missed a bunch of messages from my boss while I was using Hangouts earlier this month.

Phone? Stock? Hacked up rom?

I've been using it since the SMS/MMS update and have not missed a single message. Roommate and fiance also using it. Couple of G2s and a NOTE 2. Keep in mind we're stock and not using XxGoKuBLACKrom1.5V3Xx

Hell maybe its loving awful and we all just dont know it. But you'd think between 3 people using it non stop we'd see some issues.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Add me and my girlfriend to the 'no problems with Hangouts' list. That's a Nexus 5 on Aio and a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Phone? Stock? Hacked up rom?

I've been using it since the SMS/MMS update and have not missed a single message. Roommate and fiance also using it. Couple of G2s and a NOTE 2. Keep in mind we're stock and not using XxGoKuBLACKrom1.5V3Xx

Hell maybe its loving awful and we all just dont know it. But you'd think between 3 people using it non stop we'd see some issues.

Stock HTC One; I've never bothered rooting it. A few people in the Android apps thread have complained of missed or late MMS messages (arriving 4-5 days later which is actually what happened to me). It did work fine for most messages, so it's a mystery to me. I wish I could use it instead of the stock app cause I actually use it for most of my messaging needs, but I'm playing it safe - I don't want to hear any more poo poo from my boss.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!
Grandma's sero (i got the entire family accounts) is up for renewal finally. Looking at the G2, what are the exact steps I'll need to take to get the discounts and yet still stay on the SERO+ plan?

Do I order it online through the sprint store but then call to activate?

UFO fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 26, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

UFO posted:

Grandma's sero (i got the entire family accounts) is up for renewal finally. Looking at the G2, what are the exact steps I'll need to take to get the discounts and yet still stay on the SERO+ plan?

Do I order it online through the sprint store but then call to activate?

Might be safest or easiest to just start by calling them.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Loaded up the Sense 5 rom from XDA for the EVO LTE. Aside from a weird little glitch where my phone will start playing my onboard music upon unlock sometimes, the overall experience is pretty darn slick. No weird crashes or glitches and the device does feel a good bit consistently quicker over Sense 4+. However I believe I still have a little glitch with 1X data not working whatsoever with my phone.

Has anyone else had an issue with 1X completely not working or know how to fix it? I am figuring it may require flashing a completely stock full rom (boot loader and everything) and then flash back to custom which will be an all day pain in the rear end.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Allaniis posted:

8sms is my personal favorite for SMS app. It's the Cyanogenmod/AOSP based one. Quick reply is pretty awesome.

Another popular one is Textra, but I wasn't a fan.

Hangouts just feels really clunky. If they're going to separate the threads like that, I'll use a more convenient app for texting.

I like 8sms, but the problem is that the G2 won't let me replace the lock screen Messaging shortcut with it, probably because they're both named Messaging. So I get a messed up unread count and the ugly LG messaging if I use it.

Looks like it's Hangouts for me for now.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
It looks like my time with Sprint is coming to an end. I've been going back and forth with reps from dan@sprint.com about getting out of my contract early and they offered me to walk with my 3 lines for an ETF of 120. One line is out if contract but the other two have 11 months and 7 months, and I get to keep the phones to sell (both S3's).

I'm talking to a supervisor tomorrow and will see if I can do even better but I'm happy with the offer. It'll be nice to go somewhere with real working service. Feels good.

/coolstory

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You should be able to do better. I had a supervisor waive the ETF earlier last week. She even admitted to using Verizon. One of the big complaints we had was when making a call we would get an error message about not being authorized to call that number, but an hour later it would go through. And this only affected one of our lines. Plus that line would get text messages and voice mail notifications a day late.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Sperg Victorious posted:

You should be able to do better. I had a supervisor waive the ETF earlier last week. She even admitted to using Verizon. One of the big complaints we had was when making a call we would get an error message about not being authorized to call that number, but an hour later it would go through. And this only affected one of our lines. Plus that line would get text messages and voice mail notifications a day late.

That's encouraging. I'm gonna see how it works out tomorrow with the third supervisor I've moved up to. Honestly, at this point I'd still take the drat 120 dollar ETF just so I can go and get service that I can actually use. Nothing like paying 186 a month for poo poo that just doesn't work. It's pretty bad when both my wife and our friend on our third line who barely use their data as it is are complaining.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

My family has been on a Sprint family plan for as long as I can remember, and we've been loving around with our phone upgrade schedules too. My mother's upgrade has come up and it's my turn to upgrade to a new phone this time. I definitely prefer a lot of the Moto X's features but unless I'm able to make a customized version of the phone through the moto maker my weird neuroses will flare up and drive me crazy. ( Why isn't the matte black back the standard black model instead of the customized version? :rant: ) Does anyone have experience doing the sprint upgrading process through the Moto Maker system? I already hate dealing with Sprint and switching phones around when I don't have to mess with a third party shipping a customized phone to me. The local sprint stores do not seem particularly competent either, visiting one and calling the other has indicated that neither store has recognized that the Moto Maker site has been set up for Sprint service. If someone's had a bad experience I can just get a Nexus 5 and be done with it. I just like that AMOLED screen so much.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
So, I'm finally fed up with sprint. I have a great plan, truly - old school sero - but my town is all 3g, they pushed back the LTE upgrade another 6 months from the first of the year (I thought I read that it was supposed to be all done nationwide by the first) and currently there's a tower that's been broken for a few months they are trying to fix. I spend more time roaming than I do in network it seems, and I have been getting a ton of dropped calls. The only time I've seen my phone move off 3g was traveling down to phoenix about 100 miles away.

Being in a small town, provider choices are tough. My wife moved over to verizon, and we added a few phones so the per phone cost is the same. Her coverage - perfect. I really wanna move over to get the coverage that really, I've been paying for anyways.

Called the sero cust care and explained all of this - nicely - and they offered me 25$ over a 4 month period. The cust care rep was super nice, they always are, but they won't let me out of contract. I don't blame them, I owe $320 on my ETF if I bail - but the lack of coverage in major areas and dropped texts/calls has put me in switcheroo mode.

I got a new phone back in april, hence the large ETF. Is there anyone else to talk to about my issues? I'm definitely not getting what I'm paying for, even though it is a very good plan.

Wanna stop 4xing in my Ferrari and see some @#(&*#ing pavement (thread title).

Thanks for any ideas guys. For now my only plan is to call weekly and tell them about the coverage problems. Should I email the dan@ team? Seems like this is a common topic in the thread lately.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just keep roaming until they terminate you with no penalty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just keep roaming until they terminate you with no penalty.

This. Just start downloading apps or use apps that are very image heavy, such as tumblr or flickr. You'll hit the cap that gets you removed from Sprint very quickly.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Sounds good. Any way to make the phone roam more than usual?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Find a Verizon PRL. Google around for it with something like "Sprint roaming PRL" or whatever. Thankfully I had a jailbroken iPhone at the time and was able to roam like hell.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
In the past people were getting out of their contracts at the beginning of the new year because the taxes would slightly go up. Sprint would let you out of the contract due to the price increase. Although you did have to be pretty adamant about it.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
So my parents can't get signal inside of their house. I called the Airrave number in the first post (redirected to the new number: 855-405-4098) and after being told they qualify for an Airave, I was also informed there would be a $3.50 a month "administration fee" for the airrave. When did this bullshit start, and is there anything that can be done about it? I shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to make the phone work inside the drat house.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

zeek40 posted:

So my parents can't get signal inside of their house. I called the Airrave number in the first post (redirected to the new number: 855-405-4098) and after being told they qualify for an Airave, I was also informed there would be a $3.50 a month "administration fee" for the airrave. When did this bullshit start, and is there anything that can be done about it? I shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to make the phone work inside the drat house.

That's the first time I have heard of this. That doesn't sound right.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Wizard of Smart posted:

That's the first time I have heard of this. That doesn't sound right.

Hell, I'm amazed they're giving them one. We were told at my store there were no more free airraves, you have to buy them now.

Maybe that's what they're doing instead.

And to be honest, if the phone doesn't work in the house, your best bet is to switch to a service that does. Anything else is just going to be a patch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys.

I just did this:

Times two, for my wife and I, for christmas. Prior to getting these phones we'd been using Samsung Moments, which we got four years ago. A big upgrade.

I have a discount due to my employer, so this is what my plan currently looks like, as far as I can tell (I haven't gotten my next bill yet so I'm not certain):
  • Everything Data Share 1500: $110.00
  • employer discount: 20% (-22.00)
  • Premium Data (required for this device): $10.00
  • Line 2: $19.99
  • Premium Data (required for this device): $10.00
  • Sprint surcharges: (previously $7.28, dunno if it's more now)
  • Government taxes and fees: (previously $1.36, dunno if it's more now)

Total: $136.63/month

That seems like a lot, but I have no idea if it's more, the same, or less than it'd cost to have similar services from a different carrier. Obviously I've just signed a new two-year contract, and we got the phones themselves for very cheap (sprint wants $199 for each phone if you buy them through Sprint) so maybe that balances it out.

Basically though, does the above bill look right? My discount has always been applied to the base plan, and not the add-ons... I guess that's how it's supposed to be, but it'd be good to hear if there's some other avenue to save more.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Seems like a good deal to me.

If you want to compare to AT&T: http://myattrpc.com/

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

TVs Ian posted:

Hell, I'm amazed they're giving them one. We were told at my store there were no more free airraves, you have to buy them now.

Maybe that's what they're doing instead.

And to be honest, if the phone doesn't work in the house, your best bet is to switch to a service that does. Anything else is just going to be a patch.

We just upgraded from HTC Evo 4gs to LG G2s. The Evos got signal inside my parents house. Not great, but they worked. The G2s only work outside the house or in the 2 bedrooms on the side of the house that faces the tower. This is the first complaint I've had about the G2, but it's a pretty big one. Since the weather's been so nice it took my parents a while to notice because they've been spending a lot of time outdoors. At my house about 5 miles away, it's great. I get two or three bars of 4g signal which is a huge improvement over the sometimes flaky 3g signal I was limited to before, but the inside of my parent's house is basically a dead zone now. There's still no 4g tower in range of my parents place.

When I called to see about either getting the Airave fee waved or returning 2 of the G2's, I eventually got put through to a network support tech who said theres been problems with the only tower my parents can connect to at home recently. He gave me a ticket number and told me the network engineers should be calling me within 3 days. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that's caused by "tower problems" to me, but I guess I'll give them a few days to look into it. The network tech to seemed to know what he was talking about. He was able to tell me exactly when the phones were disconnected from the network and which towers we were connected to when, so at least I know he was looking through our actual event logs even if he turns out to be wrong.

zeek40 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 28, 2013

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Man, roaming on Verizon sure has been nice. I was over at a friend's house tonight, phone at 65% when I got there. Normally that'd drop to 0% in about 90 minutes there, but after hanging out with them for about 5 hours tonight, I still had about 5% left on the battery when I got home.

Pity I can't keep things this way, but at least it gets me by while I'm visiting.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Well, I took the deal that dan@sprint.com offered me to get out of my contract early and moved all 3 of my lines to Verizon. Holy crap was that the best decision of my life.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Just upgraded from a Sprint iPhone 4S to the 5S a couple weeks ago and was vaguely shocked to discover I have excellent LTE coverage in my house. Considering I'm on the northwest outskirts of Colorado Springs and LTE coverage is still pretty patchy across most of the city, I was only expecting 3G at best when I'm at home. Nope. Routinely get 3 bars, even in the basement workroom. Not too shabby, and pretty loving fast.

Edit: No LTE in one specific bathroom or the recording studio, but those rooms never had signal anyway.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
My company is switching from Sprint to Verizon. THANK GOD! Verizon sent us a couple phones to test. I had a Sprint iPhone with 3 bars of LTE and a Verizon iPhone with 2 bars of LTE. I completed 12 speed tests on the Verizon phone before the Sprint phone completed one test.

Once again, THANK GOD!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AstroZamboni posted:

Just upgraded from a Sprint iPhone 4S to the 5S a couple weeks ago and was vaguely shocked to discover I have excellent LTE coverage in my house. Considering I'm on the northwest outskirts of Colorado Springs and LTE coverage is still pretty patchy across most of the city, I was only expecting 3G at best when I'm at home. Nope. Routinely get 3 bars, even in the basement workroom. Not too shabby, and pretty loving fast.

Edit: No LTE in one specific bathroom or the recording studio, but those rooms never had signal anyway.

They've been rolling out LTE all over the place in the springs. I think I have LTE service pretty much everywhere but Peterson and Falcon now.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

e.pie posted:

They've been rolling out LTE all over the place in the springs. I think I have LTE service pretty much everywhere but Peterson and Falcon now.

There's a big stretch of Union between Academy and downtown that's still only 3G, and some areas along Centennial only a couple blocks from me.

Still, since both my home and work have coverage I'm pretty pleased.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

I have an upgrade coming January 1 and I am going to get an iPhone. I am on SERO premium and have a couple questions:

I plan on getting appplecare+. Will I have any problems using this because I am on SERO? (I doubt I would. But want to double check.)

With SERO in the past I always ordered phone upgrades online, had them ship me the phone, then called in to activate it. That's what I plan on doing this time. Unless I can use their store pickup. Can I use store pickup with SERO? Order online, pickup in store, then go home and call to activate it? (I am doubting I will be able to do this. But then I wouldn't have to wait for shipping.)

This thread has been very helpful to me over the years. Thanks a lot guys.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

flickmaker posted:

I have an upgrade coming January 1 and I am going to get an iPhone. I am on SERO premium and have a couple questions:

I plan on getting appplecare+. Will I have any problems using this because I am on SERO? (I doubt I would. But want to double check.)

With SERO in the past I always ordered phone upgrades online, had them ship me the phone, then called in to activate it. That's what I plan on doing this time. Unless I can use their store pickup. Can I use store pickup with SERO? Order online, pickup in store, then go home and call to activate it? (I am doubting I will be able to do this. But then I wouldn't have to wait for shipping.)

This thread has been very helpful to me over the years. Thanks a lot guys.

No problems with Applecare+ and SERO. Remember to have it added when you activate the phone, otherwise you'll have to make a trip to Apple to get it.

And you probably won't be able to do the in store pickup. Basically that just tells the store someone is coming for the phone. It doesn't process anything, and they would normally have to do the activation in store. I know at my store, we can't touch SERO. We'd basically just say, "Sorry, go order it online or go to a corporate store." Then our local corporate store would screw something up because it's SERO. Save yourself a headache and just have it shipped.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Thanks a lot for the help. That's what I figured about store pickup and I will just order applecare+ when I order the phone. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm on SERO premium. I'm eligible for an upgrade January 1. (I feel an echo in this forum). As always, I am meh about Sprint's service. The $50/mo for 500 minutes and unlimited text/data keeps me coming back. Is there anything even close on another provider?

Alternate question - I've been on an EVO 4G LTE for two years. Looking at the Nexus 5 or HTC One to upgrade. Any thoughts?