Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mandrel posted:

Huh, that's (good) news to me. I'm planning on getting a PS4 at some point but I'm putting it off as long as possible and that's one of the titles I wanted to play, so I'll be happy to grab a Wii U version.

NL did a story about this a day or two ago: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/12/wii_u_more_than_capable_of_providing_the_core_project_cars_experience_says_developer

I think the crux of the issue is, if you're a first party or a developer willing to put the effort in to getting the most out of the console, you can get great results from the Wii U. If you're lazy, and just wanting to port easily from one system to the other, you're not going to get the performance you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mandrel posted:

Was just reading a feature on Project CARS, the new sim racer/Forza & Gran Turismo competitor coming out on PS4/XB1. The developers claim to apparently be working on a Wii U version as well? Or at least thinking about it.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331625870374/project-cars-the-ultimate-racing-game

I'm dubious. Not sure why they'd make a point of skipping 360/PS3 for tech reasons but then say they're willing to scale down for the Wii U. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Well they started out with them included but only recently cut them out, and while underpowered the Wii U technically supports (somewhat) modern graphic features. But I suspect the main reason is that the game is coming late 2014. By that time most people that'd be interested would probably be on PS4/XB1 instead of PS3/360, and Wii U would at least be a current console.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know why an SD card wouldn't be working if I plug it into my console? Could it just be a dud card? I don't really have any other SD devices, I just got it for this. It's just a regular 8gb SDHC card.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The SD Card is only for compatibility with Wii mode, right? The Wii U only uses the USB ports as secondary drive interfaces.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mennonites Revenge posted:

The SD Card is only for compatibility with Wii mode, right? The Wii U only uses the USB ports as secondary drive interfaces.

Some Wii U stuff can use the SD card. Off the top of my head Animal Crossing Plaza and Mii Maker use it for moving pictures between Wii U, 3DS, and computer.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Odd question but is this like the Wii and GCN where I will have to buy more controllers if I want to play with my friends here.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Any word from Ubisoft on whether they will use the Gamepad to do creative and interesting things with Watch Dogs for the Wii U release?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mooseontheloose posted:

Odd question but is this like the Wii and GCN where I will have to buy more controllers if I want to play with my friends here.

Depends on the game, but yes. If you already have a wii, you'll be able to use any wiimotes. A few games make concessions for fewer controllers but it's pretty situational and you might as well just grab some wiimote plusses when you can.

I got Mario and Sonic at Sochi for Christmas; mum and dad figured they'd be better to play it with me than if they got me 3D World (no matter, I'll go get it anyway).

The game's probably not buying unless you're really into the olympics/winter sports or you're busting for a multiplayer game that can be played locally. Still, it looks nice enough and the soundtrack's pretty excellent. I'd like more gamepad integration beyond second-screen stuff, though the planning mechanic in curling seems remarkably well thought out. I'm happy to have it in my collection because I know I'll get use out of it (and Nintendoland it's fairly family-accessible), but if unless you feel strongly about buying it right now I'd wait for it to go down or get it second hand. That's my mini-review.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Gutcruncher posted:

Some Wii U stuff can use the SD card. Off the top of my head Animal Crossing Plaza and Mii Maker use it for moving pictures between Wii U, 3DS, and computer.

I'd read that you could expand the storage with an SD card but I guess I should have just grabbed another USB stick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hubris.height posted:

Any word from Ubisoft on whether they will use the Gamepad to do creative and interesting things with Watch Dogs for the Wii U release?

They said it would be the best version between it and the ps3 and 360.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

cat doter posted:

I'd read that you could expand the storage with an SD card but I guess I should have just grabbed another USB stick.

Yeah, with a USB SD Card Reader. By that point you might as well just get a USB hard drive.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
They made an update for TVii that lets you earn points by guessing the outcome of plays for sports(or something like that, haven't had a chance to use it yet) and changed the remote slightly

The Narrator posted:

Depends on the game, but yes. If you already have a wii, you'll be able to use any wiimotes. A few games make concessions for fewer controllers but it's pretty situational and you might as well just grab some wiimote plusses when you can.

I got Mario and Sonic at Sochi for Christmas; mum and dad figured they'd be better to play it with me than if they got me 3D World (no matter, I'll go get it anyway).

The game's probably not buying unless you're really into the olympics/winter sports or you're busting for a multiplayer game that can be played locally. Still, it looks nice enough and the soundtrack's pretty excellent. I'd like more gamepad integration beyond second-screen stuff, though the planning mechanic in curling seems remarkably well thought out. I'm happy to have it in my collection because I know I'll get use out of it (and Nintendoland it's fairly family-accessible), but if unless you feel strongly about buying it right now I'd wait for it to go down or get it second hand. That's my mini-review.
Tell me the hockey part sucks and is not fun so I can feel better about my decision not to buy it.

Mooseontheloose posted:

If you have Game & Wario you can play with multiple people all using one controller. For most games you'll need to buy extra controllers just like every other console ever made, if you go to the Nintendo shop you can get refurbished wiimotes+nunchucks for $20. You could also stumble into Wii Party U at a random place for really cheap if you're lucky(it comes with a wiimote).

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

deafmute posted:

Tell me the hockey part sucks and is not fun so I can feel better about my decision not to buy it.

Meh. It's pretty basic, pretty much two-button hockey that's dominated by special shots which freeze the game. It's not bad (though my parents can't handle more then one character onscreen at a time so I haven't had much experience with it), but it's not a very deep game - not worth paying for a whole bunch of other sports if you're only interested in the hockey.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

deafmute posted:

They made an update for TVii that lets you earn points by guessing the outcome of plays for sports(or something like that, haven't had a chance to use it yet) and changed the remote slightly
If you have Game & Wario you can play with multiple people all using one controller. For most games you'll need to buy extra controllers just like every other console ever made, if you go to the Nintendo shop you can get refurbished wiimotes+nunchucks for $20. You could also stumble into Wii Party U at a random place for really cheap if you're lucky(it comes with a wiimote).

I have old wiimotes, just need to get new rechargeable for them if I end up having oodles of multiplayer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is anyone getting error 102 2931 when trying to connect to the eshop or mii verse? I can't seem to get any online services on the wii u except for the browser (which works incredibly smoothly)

e: fixed it... well now I can't get on the eshop and the error code is 1119000. Servers overloaded??

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 25, 2013

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is anyone getting error 102 2931 when trying to connect to the eshop or mii verse? I can't seem to get any online services on the wii u except for the browser (which works incredibly smoothly)

I got that error too and I googled it and Nintendo said, I dunno what this is.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I got that error too and I googled it and Nintendo said, I dunno what this is.

There's network issues (probably due to influx of new users) currently going on with the Wii U, I'm getting the same error. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Playing Rayman Legends with my wife and three year old. Game's so good :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna hunt around some forums tonight and try find some posts from people who weren't expecting/wanting a Wii U, got one for Xmas and is loving it. I know they're out there!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

oneliquidninja posted:

Playing Rayman Legends with my wife and three year old. Game's so good :)
Get them to try the soccer mode :frogbon:

The Narrator posted:

Meh. It's pretty basic, pretty much two-button hockey that's dominated by special shots which freeze the game. It's not bad (though my parents can't handle more then one character onscreen at a time so I haven't had much experience with it), but it's not a very deep game - not worth paying for a whole bunch of other sports if you're only interested in the hockey.
Thanks for the answer :hfive:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm gonna hunt around some forums tonight and try find some posts from people who weren't expecting/wanting a Wii U, got one for Xmas and is loving it. I know they're out there!

I impulse bought one a week ago after my wife refused to talk me out of it. We've been loving it as well, but I suppose we sort of knew we wanted one eventually anyway. Bought the Mario U bundle, digging the hell out of NSMB in spite of the kind of tired aesthetic. Really looking forward to grabbing 3D world soon.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Vegastar posted:

I impulse bought one a week ago after my wife refused to talk me out of it. We've been loving it as well, but I suppose we sort of knew we wanted one eventually anyway. Bought the Mario U bundle, digging the hell out of NSMB in spite of the kind of tired aesthetic. Really looking forward to grabbing 3D world soon.

If you want a 2D Mario challenge, downloading New Super Luigi U might scratch that itch: Hard levels that have to be done within a 100-second time limit, and all the characters use what's normally Luigi's physics when he's differentiated (higher jump, slippery controls). You also get to see enemies in places that they're not in the main game, and the power ups that debuted in NSMBWii see more usage in NSLU.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

If you want a 2D Mario challenge, downloading New Super Luigi U might scratch that itch: Hard levels that have to be done within a 100-second time limit, and all the characters use what's normally Luigi's physics when he's differentiated (higher jump, slippery controls). You also get to see enemies in places that they're not in the main game, and the power ups that debuted in NSMBWii see more usage in NSLU.

The bundle already comes with NSLU.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

deadwing posted:

The bundle already comes with NSLU.

Oh, right. I forgot that.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Vegastar posted:

Got 3d World and WW for Christmas from the fiance and I love it. I always knew I was going to get a Wii U - eventually - but I love it. The tablet is much more fun than I thought it would be.

3d World is an absolute blast - it really blows away the NSMB games.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

oswald ownenstein posted:

The tablet is much more fun than I thought it would be.

I read the 'other' Wii U thread as well because it's always good to see multiple opinions on things. One of the things that keeps coming up is that 'Nintendo should drop the tablet'. It's probably the most interesting change in this generation (2nd screen abilities) and the popular non-Wii U owning opinion is to make it 'optional'. I honestly don't know what to say to that.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
If you take away the tablet, you're left with a last-gen console. Not smart.

What Nintendo really needs to do is ham up their first party titles. Come up with a few new IPs. Explain to third-party publishers that if their game is to be released on the Wii U, it'll use that tablet as the primary controller in a non-optional role.

As someone who has owned a ps3 and xbox, the tablet controller is easily the best thing about the Wii U. There's a ton of untapped potential there and they need to come up with ways to entice developers to think outside the box regarding its use. Nintendo's first party teams have a solid grasp of making innovative titles, so what happened to the third party?

My answer to that is status quo. They're afraid to innovate because innovation is risky, so why make something new when you can just make the same thing slightly better. Then something like 3D World comes along and shows that innovative use of peripherals is pretty worthwhile. And even then, its just simple innovation.

Of course, the gamepad should have a 3DS cartridge slot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What Nintendo really needs are fembots.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo needs to make an HD remake of the N64 WCW/WWF games complete with updated rosters, original rosters and online modes.

Dig dig diggity dog

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo needs to make an HD remake of the N64 WCW/WWF games complete with updated rosters, original rosters and online modes.

Dig dig diggity dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4R0a2OVH9w

(this is also the first google result for "dig diggity dog")

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dig dig diggity dog
Or a real Def Jam sequel.

They're been working with Aki for a while...on Style Savvy! Just add in wrestling stats to the costumes and you're good to go for Style Savvy Showdown.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Psyker posted:

What Nintendo really needs to do is ham up their first party titles. Come up with a few new IPs. Explain to third-party publishers that if their game is to be released on the Wii U, it'll use that tablet as the primary controller in a non-optional role.

Absolutely. We all know N has struggled a bit with the jump to HD, hopefully they've got most of that behind them now. First party games, and well executed 3rd party games (not lazy ports) play and look great, it's just a case of getting a library on it. I'm lucky in the fact that I don't buy masses amounts of games so to me the upcoming release list is fine, to others it's not going to be enough. They should've really pushed hard to the indie developers and filled the estore with great looking, cheap games over the last year. Can't change that now though.

quote:

As someone who has owned a ps3 and xbox, the tablet controller is easily the best thing about the Wii U. There's a ton of untapped potential there and they need to come up with ways to entice developers to think outside the box regarding its use. Nintendo's first party teams have a solid grasp of making innovative titles, so what happened to the third party?

I bet in this thread alone we can think of a dozen smart, original ideas for the GamePad that haven't been explored yet. Penny Arcade (I know... I know...) even came up with a solid idea for D&D. I like local multiplayer, and having one player have the GP and others run Wii Motes and only being able to see the TV surely offers so many openings. Quiz games where the quiz master gets to select things players can't see for example. Jamming GP elements into ports is one thing, and it can work well, but holy poo poo - it's the ideal platform for thinking of a new approach to gaming, not just gaming at a higher frame rate (sometimes) and resolution (sometimes). Within the first 3 days (we had parties and friends over), I had 15 people making their Miis on the system, and everyone loves seeing their characters pop up in games, and seeing themselves put on Mario costumes. It's a fun system, make fun games.

Given that Microsoft Glass exists, it proves that 2nd screen gaming isn't just a novelty that nobody else cares about, but Nintendo has the distinct advantage that every system sold gives you the hardware needed to do it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dig dig diggity dog

I think the Wii U is pretty mediocre and this would legitimately make me want to purchase one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
While we are listing things Nintendo needs to do, I want a Zelda themed Recettear+Dark Cloud/My Life as a King game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey you know that one franchise? What if they made it a roguelike dark souls MOMA?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

Hey you know that one franchise? What if they made it a roguelike dark souls MOMA?

I don't know if this is a lighthearted joke or not, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo took a franchise into a completely different genre. There's a severe lack of quality shop simulator games and I think the Zelda universe would be a great fit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if a shop simulator is exactly what it sounds like, but wouldn't that be a fit for Wario or Animal Crossing/Tom Nook?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gamestop selling Deluxe Wii Us for $250

Online purchases aren't available, but check your local stores.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

I agree, Animal Crossing is in dire need of a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Gamestop selling Deluxe Wii Us for $250

Online purchases aren't available, but check your local stores.

Walmart has this sale on their website too. Sold out online but it is listed as a rollback.

• Locked thread