Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The fact that the game is about building empires is just fine for me, I think the devs focusing first on the empire building makes sense, but it's like Dr. Video Games says, it's that I'm sitting around between wars not doing a whole lot. In CK2, there's always family to marry, educate, or assassinate, claims to forge/foreign claimants to invite to my court, advisers to use, raiding, event chains like great hunts, etc. Sure, in EUIV there is diplomacy, but I have a cap on how many countries I can have relations with so I quickly run into it and then have to stop doing diplomacy unless my needs for my country radically change, I have councilors but there's far less involvement with them than with my council in CK2 (I'm not worried about who is the best diplomat in my realm, I'm not appointing angry vassals to smooth over relations, I'm not looking for foreigners who I can bring into my realm to replace my current council member, etc), there are event chains but few I can trigger myself etc. I'm not saying EUIV is bad or anything, but coming to it from CK2, I certainly find myself a lot less busy between wars, which isn't always a good thing. Granted, I know that a lot of these complaints sound like "EUIV needs to be more like CK2", and I don't think EUIV needs a court system per se, but I do hope in the future EUIV develops its own mechanics that make interwar periods more involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I must be the odd one out here, because I always take great pains to stay out of wars that I can't win within a few months, and I really enjoy unlocking new ideas, building up province improvements, and expanding trade. It's relaxing and satisfying to me. I hate waging war in Paradox games, and with the exception of CK2, I mostly stay as a very small nation if I can.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I must be the odd one out here, because I always take great pains to stay out of wars that I can't win within a few months, and I really enjoy unlocking new ideas, building up province improvements, and expanding trade. It's relaxing and satisfying to me. I hate waging war in Paradox games, and with the exception of CK2, I mostly stay as a very small nation if I can.

I do that poo poo too, but those are pretty basic tasks that don't require much thought. Ideas do, I guess, but it's not like you're constantly engaged with that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm one of those guys who hates army management so I try to avoid war at all costs. This goes for CKII all the way to HoI (which is why I've only played it for like 5 hours).

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DStecks posted:

If EU4 is about building an empire, and nothing else, why the gently caress can I even play as Kongo?
Johan did call them "speedbumps to colonization" once :v: But that was a long time ago and a different Johan - he was much older then. I think.

e: also, whoah there! You're getting really mad at video games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beamed posted:

Dude, I know you get your rocks off attacking the Paradox devs in the ~*~Paradox Thread~*~, but take a chill pill; he's not being unreasonable here, but you make yourself seem unreasonable when you have a knee-jerk reaction.

Seriously. I don't think your sentiments are wrong exactly but you're getting pretty mad at video games.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Beamed posted:

Dude, I know you get your rocks off attacking the Paradox devs in the ~*~Paradox Thread~*~, but take a chill pill; he's not being unreasonable here, but you make yourself seem unreasonable when you have a knee-jerk reaction.

Nah this thread has become basically unreadable since Darkreknown started rushing in to defend every possible criticism of his company's games.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rakovsky maybe posted:

Nah this thread has become basically unreadable since Darkreknown started rushing in to defend every possible criticism of his company's games.

He can get quite defensive, but unreadable? I mean, slap-fights with Gort are one thing, but some minor back and forth with various posters is a horse of a different color.

I'm just glad that the devs are sometimes exposed to serious critiques of their games here, because much of the official forums appear to suffer from some form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

I'm just glad that the devs are sometimes exposed to serious critiques of their games here, because much of the official forums appear to suffer from some form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Or they throw tantrums if a single favorite feature is changed. I think we provide a nice middle ground.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Back on subject, though, I really do wish there was more to do or muck about with between wars. I keep finding myself losing interest these days once the only thing left to do really is to wage more wars simply because I can, instead of for reasons like keeping myself safe or putting down a dangerous rival or clearing away trade fleets.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kavak posted:

I think we provide a nice middle ground.

I like it (mostly :v:), but I'll disagree with some stuff too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If we all want more to do during peace, maybe we've got a point. :colbert:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I just want automated Papacy and to be able to buy and sell ships with diplomacy/demand captured ships returned in peace.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dibujante posted:

e: also, whoah there! You're getting really mad at video games.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seriously. I don't think your sentiments are wrong exactly but you're getting pretty mad at video games.

Sorry for being passionate about anything I guess :shrug:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I've never understood why combat-like mechanics aren't used for peacetime activities as well. Instead of just clicking where to focus your merchants' attention, have merchant agents that move around like units on the map, fighting other agents in the same province and obtaining trade influence. Similarly for espionage in HoI. I don't understand why warfare is the only system that doesn't exist in a glorified spreadsheet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DStecks posted:

Remember, you're on the SomethingAwful forums, where the only legitimate means of expression is cynical, ironic detachment! :v:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

rakovsky maybe posted:

haha loving goons with their ridiculous hyperbole. I think this thread is generally pretty good at not being too fanboy-ish, and developer feedback makes for better discussion.

I'm another one who doesn't really like combat / war-waging. I'm lame and like to at least try to "role play" my nation and imagine it as an actual history rather than just a manipulation of game mechanics. It's hard to do that when armies are ping-ponging all over the place in silly ways.

DStecks posted:

There's a difference between passion and aggression, and you were definitely leaning towards aggression.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question - is EU: Rome playable with Wiz's mod or not? I'm not sure how recent the information on the OP is.

I need to know before the offer on Steam runs out, in which case I'd have to buy it for peanuts instead of a pittance.

VVV: Thanks, time to buy a present for myself.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 25, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's playable but it's really sparse. You probably want to get his mod.

e; wait, misunderstood your question. Yes, it's playable with his mod as far as I am aware, the game hasn't been updated since the OP was posted.

rakovsky maybe posted:

OK

I prefer the thread as it is now over the really creepy anger at Paradox Developers that would crop up regularly in earlier threads.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 25, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've only started playing Paradox games (and reading this thread) fairly recently, and I don't remember earlier iterations. How was it "creepy anger"?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DrSunshine posted:

I've only started playing Paradox games (and reading this thread) fairly recently, and I don't remember earlier iterations. How was it "creepy anger"?

When anger passion takes you to wild places, and you start to be angry passionate about Paradox wallpaper (the one with books, in front of which they conduct most of their interviews).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How much better/worst is EU4 than EU4? I am seriously thinking of buying it on steam. TIA Goons.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Herr Tog posted:

How much better/worst is EU4 than EU4? I am seriously thinking of buying it on steam. TIA Goons.

They're pretty much the same all things considered :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They're pretty much the same all things considered :v:

I prefer EU4, but that's more of a personal opinion.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Herr Tog posted:

I'm going to assume you mean EU3 and EU4, in which case get EU4, it's a lot of the same stuff as EU3 but all around better.

DStecks posted:

No man you can't get like angry or anything, only nerds do that and we here on something awful aren't like those nerds no siree

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Herr Tog posted:

EU4 is very similar to EU3, no enormous changes, but lots of medium changes that I think make EU4 noticeably better in many areas, and worse in none.

If you liked EU3, buy EU4.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DStecks posted:

You're passionate; I'm passionate; some of the things you were saying were starting to get fairly ad hominem, though. I agree; there's not enough to do during peacetime. Using loaded language like "moronic" is what I think is setting a bad tone for the discussion, though.

EU4 could have a political economy simulation. It already has colonization and trade simulations that enhance, rather than detract, from the game. I'd like to see that expanded. As it stands, there isn't really a way to distinguish between a country where you have tons of control and can mobilize most of its economy and people to do what you want (like revolutionary France) and a country where everything is pretty laissez-faire and you can't (like P-L Commonwealth).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DStecks posted:

There's a pretty marked difference between passion and frothing at the mouth anger.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dibujante posted:

EU4 could have a political economy simulation. It already has colonization and trade simulations that enhance, rather than detract, from the game. I'd like to see that expanded. As it stands, there isn't really a way to distinguish between a country where you have tons of control and can mobilize most of its economy and people to do what you want (like revolutionary France) and a country where everything is pretty laissez-faire and you can't (like P-L Commonwealth).

Yeah, and I think it'll be important to give more powerful and centralized countries new things to do, along with challenges for states like the PLC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Exactly, I want challenges after I've already gotten strong. Once you get past a certain point, the AI just can't really compete (even an equally large AI), and it would be nice if there was something other than truces holding me back.

After all, this was the time when states really got to centralizing and concentrating power. That should be represented somehow.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Merry Parachristmas

The original Crusader Kings had the cool feature where each province had different classes shown with different power ratings (and taxation levels). That might be cool to adapt into EU4 to model the development of late feudalism into capitalist agriculture.

Pdox devs: check out Wallerstein's world-system series and then release a DLC called "EU4: Core and Periphery" :cool:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Enjoy posted:

The original Crusader Kings had the cool feature where each province had different classes shown with different power ratings (and taxation levels). That might be cool to adapt into EU4 to model the development of late feudalism into capitalist agriculture.

This or something functionally similar (such as factions you have to manage with competing demands whose power depends on how your country is run) have been suggested about 10 thousand times by basically everyone, no official comment on it has ever been made, presumably because it wouldn't make their MP games more fun.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dibujante posted:

You're passionate; I'm passionate; some of the things you were saying were starting to get fairly ad hominem, though. I agree; there's not enough to do during peacetime. Using loaded language like "moronic" is what I think is setting a bad tone for the discussion, though.

Isn't this already kind of what Victoria does?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With Their Finest Hour on sale, I've finally managed to move my whole mapgame catalogue from GamersGate to Steam.

Merry Christmas, Paradox thread!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

With Their Finest Hour on sale, I've finally managed to move my whole mapgame catalogue from GamersGate to Steam.

I'm amazed the AI didn't manage to close the gap and just encircle everyone there before you got all your strategic objectives.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm assuming you just loaded up the Gotterdamerung scenario because I can't believe you just spend Christmas playing 4-5 years of HoI3.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Farecoal posted:

loving this.
It's the holy grail of Paradox expansions. Even Vicky 2 doesn't handle anything but wars well. I love the poo poo out of all of these games, but they're uneven and politically problematic and we all know it.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Isn't this already kind of what Victoria does?
There is no way to wage any kind of warfare in Victoria short of actual warfare. There is no way to compete with another nation's industry, there is no way to meaningfully engage a minor nation beyond racking up influence points, and meaningful politics exist solely as whether or not you can build factroys and mass rebel uprising.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I'm assuming you just loaded up the Gotterdamerung scenario because I can't believe you just spend Christmas playing 4-5 years of HoI3.

The joke is that I left the game running during Christmas dinner and came back in time for 1944.

Seriously though, that's the Battle of the Bulge battle scenario.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Battle of the Bulge

Its feeling a lot like Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe before adding new systems they should fix/improve the current ones?

- Papal States, add some auto vote system because it just gets silly mid/late game
- The whack-a-mole style combat system gets tedious very fast
- Static trade system (why can't I apply enough pressure for trade to move from Antwerp to London?)
- Non European Untermenschen and their really sad tech progress
- Tedious revolt system
- Some of the extreme negative but also really random events (Looking at you Peasant War)
- core loss bug (sometimes on conquering a province it resets cores because it calcs back to game start for the loss)

Some of these have been discussed here and in the EU thread, some can handled with mods and might arguably be more of a preference than objective problems but others make the end game really boring and unfun.

Personally my biggest offender is combat/army movement, chasing an army around is tedious but you have to do it before you siege because it will end the war quicker at a lower cost. I'd like to see controlling provinces to be more important so you can't just wait out a war in southern France and wait for my armies to take too much attrition to win the war. I should get taxes/pillage bonuses for you having fled that battlefield instead of engaging me.

• Locked thread