Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nearly all jetskis are direct-drive without gear box. Most 4-stroke Yamahas (MR1 engine) have a reduction gear box.
Jet-pumps start being useless at around 7500 rpm.

The particular 1100 that is pictured above puts out about 110-120 HP, though torque is a much more meaningful number in this application.
The strongest stock Jetski engine made today is a Kawasaki 1498cc 4-stroke, super-charged and intercooled. It's sitting at 310 HP.

The strongest stock 2-stroke made was likely the Yamaha 1200R, a triple-cylinder pushing about 150 HP.

The most impressive 2-strokes in Jetskis are performance engines for standups. Current pants-creamer is the XS1400R, a 2-cylinder, 2-stroke 1400cc engine.

It makes what's shown in this video possible, and keep in mind that it showcases only the older 1200cc engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbn9ibhpol0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

It broke off at the wrist and there is a big chink in the cylinder at the bottom, I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Definition+of+chink

:colbert: Racist

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Coming back around to stupidly located bolts and fasteners my father has an entire toolbox full of cheap wrenches that he hand-bent into all forms of absurd shapes with an oxyacetylene torch for working on tractors and bulldozers. Sometimes on those machines it seemed like the only thing the John Deere engineers cared about were the engine mounts and the final drive locations, everything else was a matter of seing how close you could fit things to solid steel panels. There were all sorts of bolts that were only accessible by either tearing down the entire bulldozer or with a wrench with a dog-leg 3" from the head followed by a 45 degree run to clear another part.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
That reminds me of a problem we solved at work. On the CFM56-5A engine, there is a turbine clearance control valve, called the HPTCC. It bleeds air from the compressor to shrink the case around the turbine for efficiency.

Sadly, being buried on the case since it bleeds right off, you had these four bolts which heat soaked and cooled, so they were stuck in good, always had to use anti-seize to get em out. But you had no direct access to remove and install the bolts. Eventually we had an intern jig up a torque wrench extension and do all the calculations cause the CFM tool was too expensive.

located pretty much dead center in the middle, opposite side by its just as spaghetti there as it is here.

drat thing also had a gasket that would leak and set of engine fire warning. yay those were fun to deal with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That plumbing :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PatrickBateman posted:

That reminds me of a problem we solved at work. On the CFM56-5A engine, there is a turbine clearance control valve, called the HPTCC. It bleeds air from the compressor to shrink the case around the turbine for efficiency.

Sadly, being buried on the case since it bleeds right off, you had these four bolts which heat soaked and cooled, so they were stuck in good, always had to use anti-seize to get em out. But you had no direct access to remove and install the bolts. Eventually we had an intern jig up a torque wrench extension and do all the calculations cause the CFM tool was too expensive.

located pretty much dead center in the middle, opposite side by its just as spaghetti there as it is here.

drat thing also had a gasket that would leak and set of engine fire warning. yay those were fun to deal with.

It's such a CUTE little engine.

I so, so wish I had pictures of me draining ten gallons of skydrol out of the oil scavenge pump feed line of a CF6... :suicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I so, so wish I had pictures of me draining ten gallons of skydrol out of the oil scavenge pump feed line of a CF6... :suicide:

How...how....gently caress :smithicide:

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Yea. They are tiny. My new job has me on the GEnx. Just a smidge bigger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PatrickBateman posted:

Yea. They are tiny. My new job has me on the GEnx. Just a smidge bigger.

I'm used to standing near TF33s. A wee bit smaller.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Mining Mayhem on Facebook is full of this stuff

User Error fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 24, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How in the hell do you bend a ram like that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

How...how....gently caress :smithicide:

Each engine has two hydraulic pumps a primary, and a backup, and the garlock seals on the primary pump failed in a rather spectacular fashion, which let the pump dump the entire contents of the #3 hydraulic system into the engine main gearbox.

Kicker A: The flight crew saw the engine oil temp go up, but didn't want to declare an emergency or do the paperwork that a shutdown would have called for, so they just yanked it back to flight idle, and flew it another three hours home. :cripes:

Kicker B: GE technical services had us change the oil, run it for half an hour, change the oil again, and then test fly it, and signed it off, despite three hours of operation with hydraulic fluid for oil. :catstare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Each engine has two hydraulic pumps a primary, and a backup, and the garlock seals on the primary pump failed in a rather spectacular fashion, which let the pump dump the entire contents of the #3 hydraulic system into the engine main gearbox.

Kicker A: The flight crew saw the engine oil temp go up, but didn't want to declare an emergency or do the paperwork that a shutdown would have called for, so they just yanked it back to flight idle, and flew it another three hours home. :cripes:

Kicker B: GE technical services had us change the oil, run it for half an hour, change the oil again, and then test fly it, and signed it off, despite three hours of operation with hydraulic fluid for oil. :catstare:

Ordinarily I'd be all "drat, that is a :black101: engine!"

But for something that sees 40k' on a regular basis, uh... :stonklol:

I would at least want to tear it down and inspect it for wear.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MrYenko posted:

What airline or plane type? I want to make sure I just drive cross country instead of hop in that thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dietcokefiend posted:

What airline or plane type? I want to make sure I just drive cross country instead of hop in that thing.

Gemini Air Cargo, no longer in business. :v:

Note, the airline didn't sign it off, the engine manufacturer did.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This happened in Bergen, Norway earlier this month.

Crane was lifting the container down from the roof. It snapped, the thing fell four floors and hit two occupied cars. Drivers were stuck for a while but came away with minor injuries. This is right next to the best wine shop in town, so there but for the grace of God...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what anti-materiel rifles are for. Pop the fucker from a mile away, if you're lucky you'll have time to duck before the shrapnel hits.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love the final one in the series with the wheel in frame with the dump truck. Sort of a well now what?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

13 INCH DICK posted:

I love the final one in the series with the wheel in frame with the dump truck. Sort of a well now what?

But at least someone thought to chock the wheel!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That Mining Mayhem facebook is full of delicious carnage.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

How in the hell do you bend a ram like that?

By being an unconventional thinker, and towing it on a flatbed through, rather than under, a bridge or overpass.

VVV: Removing the valve stem, or (more often) the valve body with sidecutters. Unless the tyre is still actively deforming, it won't explode unless you do something foolish to it.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 25, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Friar Zucchini posted:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what anti-materiel rifles are for. Pop the fucker from a mile away, if you're lucky you'll have time to duck before the shrapnel hits.

I know it's been asked before ams I don't recall seeing a serious answer: just how the gently caress DO you handle this?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Wasabi the J posted:

I know it's been asked before ams I don't recall seeing a serious answer: just how the gently caress DO you handle this?

Hollow Icepick if you are man enough.

But because of vids like this I would shoot it from waaaaaay back

E2: :nms: for compound fracture of an arm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0e0oSUi4SU

E: repost but this one actually makes me uneasy just looking at the picture after I blew up one if the truck tires when mounting.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 26, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Holdbrooks posted:

E: repost but this one actually makes me uneasy just looking at the picture after I blew up one if the truck tires when mounting.

Yeah that photo always makes me want to put my phone down very carefully and run away from it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Hollow Icepick if you are man enough.

But because of vids like this I would shoot it from waaaaaay back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0e0oSUi4SU

Just a friendly reminder that the jerk bleeds profusely at the end, technically it :nms:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Powershift posted:

The 4 stroke BRP puts in their high end seadoos are 1.5 liter, supercharged, and still only 215hp.

215HP is NA, Supercharged is 265hp

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Jonny Nox posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the jerk bleeds profusely at the end, technically it :nms:

Maybe more than one :nms: tag, it looks like his arm is a bit floppy there and that's a large amount of blood.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Fixed since apparently not everyone work in medicine and see that type of stuff daily. :doh:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

What is/was this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reverse GIS says Aventador.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Lucky they walked away from that. Yikes.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This is more a design failure on my behalf...

would have been reasonably convinced that 6mm plate steel would stop a .243 winchester round at 100m!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
:argh: STOP SHOOTING WARNING SIGNS, CLEM! WE BE IN BOSS HAWGS' TERRITORY!

Pretend I posted my ground-off super-secure lock-in-place bosch friendly plugs. They're still attached to the fogs. The wires, however, are not.

E: Reply was not meant for this thread - it makes no loving sense. Never got a goddamn response from that tab. Screw you, Interweb!

Viggen fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 26, 2013

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Measly Twerp posted:

Lucky they walked away from that. Yikes.

Well, it probably wasn't quite so burnt up when they were pulled from it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Well, it probably wasn't quite so burnt up when they were pulled from it.

http://i.imgur.com/Bcidywd.jpg :nws:

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 26, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can we get a :nws:on that. Thanks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ferremit posted:

This is more a design failure on my behalf...

would have been reasonably convinced that 6mm plate steel would stop a .243 winchester round at 100m!

God drat I need a .243 upper for my AR-308.

MotoMind posted:

burned bodies

:stare:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Splizwarf posted:

Can we get a :nws:on that. Thanks.

I did a GIS and it appears to be a still from a movie called Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Have none of you seen Star Wars?

e: beaten