Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AdjectiveNoun posted:

This happened to me, and though I have a mac, so the situation might be different, I solved it by checking CK II's Properties in Steam (Right-Click it in your library and a menu will show up, Properties is at the bottom), and de-selecting 'Enable Steam Community In-Game'. Hope that works for you.

Nah, I got Windows 8 (:shepicide:). People keep saying to download old DirectX updates (which I can't do since my version is already better) or do a complete reinstall of Steam and CKII but that doesn't help either. Hell, most of the time people seem to just have the problem magically correct itself. :downs:

I'm starting to suspect it might be the Norton Internet Security trial that's blocking it somehow but I can't figure out where the hell to go to exempt Steam from being blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

Nah, I got Windows 8 (:shepicide:). People keep saying to download old DirectX updates (which I can't do since my version is already better) or do a complete reinstall of Steam and CKII but that doesn't help either. Hell, most of the time people seem to just have the problem magically correct itself. :downs:

I'm starting to suspect it might be the Norton Internet Security trial that's blocking it somehow but I can't figure out where the hell to go to exempt Steam from being blocked.

You need to run CK2 as administrator so that it can read Program Files to see the DLC. If you are already doing that, then start up a game with any old ruler and then quit out, because CK2 sets a few things up the first time you run it. This may make it realize you own the DLC.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Are you using a beta client for Steam? That caused my DLC to disappear once.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh what do you know, I can't even run the game. I hit "Start Game" and it never starts up.

EDIT: I had to manually update DirectX with patches from 2009 in order to get it to work. gently caress Windows 8.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 25, 2013

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010
I'm actually really enjoying playing as the Abbasid's in the Sword of Islam DLC, but one thing I keep running into is that the Mamluk mercenary company sometimes makes fighting wars against my neighbors hellish. The company costs about 500g for 10k men or so, but only has a maintenance fee of about 10 gold/month and the unit composition has tons of horse archers and heavy cavalry. :smith: This basically means that any enemy rich enough to afford their outright cost can just curb stomp me indefinitely, and of course I never get a chance to hire them even when I am rich enough because AI reflexes means they always beat me to it. :argh:

Is there a way to edit the mercenary files so that the Mamluks aren't so easy to afford/ridiculous in size and composition? I'm getting tired of getting defeated over and over by a Mamluk stack of doom.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I really, really hate that pagans can only use the gavelkind successions law until they reform because I never loving manage to reach 50% authority. After a lot of wars I finally own three of the holy sites and the authority meter maxes out at 47%. Then my idiot neighbors start to lose wars and we sink to 41%. And then, just to really gently caress with me, my king dies and his heir is Suomenusko pagan...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Prowave Tierdash posted:

I'm actually really enjoying playing as the Abbasid's in the Sword of Islam DLC, but one thing I keep running into is that the Mamluk mercenary company sometimes makes fighting wars against my neighbors hellish. The company costs about 500g for 10k men or so, but only has a maintenance fee of about 10 gold/month and the unit composition has tons of horse archers and heavy cavalry. :smith: This basically means that any enemy rich enough to afford their outright cost can just curb stomp me indefinitely, and of course I never get a chance to hire them even when I am rich enough because AI reflexes means they always beat me to it. :argh:

Is there a way to edit the mercenary files so that the Mamluks aren't so easy to afford/ridiculous in size and composition? I'm getting tired of getting defeated over and over by a Mamluk stack of doom.

I know mercenary sizes are defined in common/static modifiers, but I don't remember if it defines their prices. You could mod the size of the company to be lower. Alternatively, cheat yourself 500 gold at game start and hire the mercenaries first. "Pay it back" with interest when you feel it's fair.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AdjectiveNoun posted:

This happened to me, and though I have a mac, so the situation might be different, I solved it by checking CK II's Properties in Steam (Right-Click it in your library and a menu will show up, Properties is at the bottom), and de-selecting 'Enable Steam Community In-Game'. Hope that works for you.

I was just having this exact problem on a mac. I thought it was because I'd just installed SoA and that had broken everything somehow. When Steam decides to fix itself and I can redownload everything, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Star posted:

I really, really hate that pagans can only use the gavelkind successions law until they reform because I never loving manage to reach 50% authority. After a lot of wars I finally own three of the holy sites and the authority meter maxes out at 47%. Then my idiot neighbors start to lose wars and we sink to 41%. And then, just to really gently caress with me, my king dies and his heir is Suomenusko pagan...

Raiding other religions' temples/bishoprics/mosques increases your religion's moral authority. I've found that to be the easiest way of increasing moral authority.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pakled posted:

Raiding other religions' temples/bishoprics/mosques increases your religion's moral authority. I've found that to be the easiest way of increasing moral authority.

You can also get a lot of easy MA by conquering Ireland. I think it's +1% for each county and Ireland is usually composed of catholic opms and 2pms, so winning shouldn't be a problem for any moderately powerful ruler. If you've got around 1-2k retinues or better you can do the hilarious raid->conquer combo for double the MA. Set your retinues to raiding, siege down every holding, return to your land, switch off raiding, declare war and quickly siege down their already depleted holdings.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
How do you give a Duchy to a Mayor? Do you have to give the county first? I don't want to mess up and accidentally make him a duke, I want a vassal republic.

I just got my king title, and it won't let me give the duchy away to the mayor on the coast.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Cantorsdust posted:

I know mercenary sizes are defined in common/static modifiers, but I don't remember if it defines their prices. You could mod the size of the company to be lower. Alternatively, cheat yourself 500 gold at game start and hire the mercenaries first. "Pay it back" with interest when you feel it's fair.
IIRC it's just a multiplier of troop composition. You can change it for all mercenaries, it's in defines.lua somewhere.

Iunnrais posted:

How do you give a Duchy to a Mayor? Do you have to give the county first? I don't want to mess up and accidentally make him a duke, I want a vassal republic.

I just got my king title, and it won't let me give the duchy away to the mayor on the coast.
Did you try clicking Include Lower Titles?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

Do the county first so it turns into a Grand City, then the duchy to make the republic.

And an update on the bugged loans with the Knights Templar: I just got an event to give up one of my sons to the order, but it gives you an option to repay the money instead (or tell them to gently caress off, making you lose 1000 piety.)

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 26, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Prowave Tierdash posted:

You could try hiring them when they are available and then never let them go, if you can afford the 10g upkeep. Just try not to go into debt, or else those 10k heavy cavalry and horse archers will come screaming for your titles.

EDIT: Or landing them and then vassalising.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do mercenaries regenerate men once hired, after they've taken losses? Or do I have to fire them, wait for them to regen, then re-hire?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
They reinforce monthly. It shows how many mans per month they pressgang in the tooltip.

*e*

Iunnrais posted:

Thanks, this worked.

Next question... it generated 4 other families to compete with the new leader of the republic. All 4 have been given the same loving family name, that of the city's name. Can this be fixed?
Nope. If there aren't any dynasties around to pull from then it'll random gen them, and all random gen dynasties are "of/d'/de wherever this is"

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 26, 2013

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

hellsjudge posted:

Do the county first so it turns into a Grand City, then the duchy to make the republic.

Thanks, this worked.

Next question... it generated 4 other families to compete with the new leader of the republic. All 4 have been given the same loving family name, that of the city's name. Can this be fixed?

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

You could try hiring them when they are available and then never let them go, if you can afford the 10g upkeep. Just try not to go into debt, or else those 10k heavy cavalry and horse archers will come screaming for your titles.

EDIT: Or landing them and then vassalising.

:aaaaa: I didn't even think about this. I am definitely doing this on my next Abbasid iron man run. Does having a standing merc stack not prevent you from declaring wars like raised levies?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Prowave Tierdash posted:

:aaaaa: I didn't even think about this. I am definitely doing this on my next Abbasid iron man run. Does having a standing merc stack not prevent you from declaring wars like raised levies?

Mercenaries do not prevent declaring wars, just like Retinues. They are exceedingly useful for Blitzkrieg landgrabs.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Prowave Tierdash posted:

Pretty sure you'll find that the Mamluks are vassals of the Fatimids, so you can't hire them anyway. That's why they're so cheap to maintain.

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Mercenaries do not prevent declaring wars, just like Retinues. They are exceedingly useful for Blitzkrieg landgrabs.

This seems exceedingly unfair. But I'll definitely keep that in mind.

My current game is awesome. I started as the King of Leon in the Stamford Bridge book mark, whereupon I immediately begin assassinating all of the kids of my brother, the King of Castille, so that I inherit his stuff when he dies. Many, many generations later I'm now the Emperor of Hispania with a significant chunk of West Africa under my belt. Also, thanks to three antipopes and several failed crusaders the moral authority of Catholicism is 0%, which means that the Walensian Heresy has completely overtaken the Holy Roman Empire and the Grand Republic of Pisa (which currently occupies all of Italy, including Rome). As one of the last True Catholic rulers left (and also the most powerful), I've taken it upon myself to reconquer Rome so I can give it to my Anti-pope. :hist101:

Also, many many generations ago I married off one of my daughters in a matrilineal marriage to some nobody-son-of-a-count in France, and their grandson managed to work his way up to become the King of Aquataine. :master: Since they are in my dynasty and also the 2nd most powerful True Catholic kingdom, they are a staunch and reliable ally in my near-constant Holy Wars against the Islamic states in Africa and the heretical states of Holy Rome and Pisa.

EDIT: For the curious, here are some maps of this game:

First up is the Independent States Map. I'm playing Hispania.
Next is the Dynastic Map. My dynasty is Jimena, which occupied Hispania/Aquataine.
Finally, the Religion Map. The giant blue blob in central Europe/Italy and dotting parts of France and Spain is the Waldensian heresy, which is incredibly influential this game.

BBJoey posted:

Pretty sure you'll find that the Mamluks are vassals of the Fatimids, so you can't hire them anyway. That's why they're so cheap to maintain.

Oh. :smith: That explains why they completely and totally ruined my life on my Abbasid Ironman run. I'm not really sure how it's even possible to overcome something like that.

Prowave Tierdash fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So I got this awesome event where Jeanne D'arc joins my court and starts stirring poo poo up:

She has 33 Martial skill, can be made Marshal AND can lead armies, and has the Voice of Jesus :stare:.

e: If you choose the middle option, you get the Zealous trait :black101:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 26, 2013

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is that in Vanilla? I've never seen it.

I wonder what the triggers are. And is it new in SoA?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

alcaras posted:

Yeah, it's new in SoA - it seems pretty common in fact, I've got it in a few games.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

alcaras posted:

It's a Sons of Abraham event yeah, and I read somewhere you gotta be Catholic, independent, 16+, not at war and your title is of your culture.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Oh no, it seems my geriatric wife has taken a very timely and not-at-all suspicious fall off a balcony, leaving me free to marry!

Never has such a glorious event been seen in the past three centuries, the royal wedding of a commoner girl, who rose up through the ranks and became a knight, and the Emperor himself! Ring the bells, come feast, the Emperor has called for a month of celebration!

This is the stuff of telenovelas right here :allears:.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh my loving god, here I am as Byzantine Emperor in my mid 50s with the perfect heir lined up. He's 14 years old, a genius with mid teens in all stats, has all the best traits like diligent, patient, brave, temperate, charitable, etc. And then I get an event where there is a 5% chance he dies. Can you guess what happens?

gently caress this lovely gently caress game. The only backup plan I had was a decent daughter and she nearly died of pneumonia right as she inherited. I swear I would have raged quit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

hellsjudge posted:

It's a Sons of Abraham event yeah, and I read somewhere you gotta be Catholic, independent, 16+, not at war and your title is of your culture.

You don't have to be Catholic - I've gotten it as a Miaphysite.

hellsjudge posted:

Oh no, it seems my geriatric wife has taken a very timely and not-at-all suspicious fall off a balcony, leaving me free to marry

Never has such a glorious event been seen in the past three centuries, the royal wedding of a commoner girl, who rose up through the ranks and became a knight, and the Emperor himself! Ring the bells, come feast, the Emperor has called for a month of celebration!

This is the stuff of telenovelas right here :allears:.

You know she's celibate right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When does that event chain end because my ruler died not too long after the event where I knighted her. Does it keep going or was that it?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Piell posted:

gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When does that event chain end because my ruler died not too long after the event where I knighted her. Does it keep going or was that it?

After a couple of years, if you knight her, you'll get an event saying "After a few years everything has become normal, people aren't outraged about her anymore because you always defended her in your court" or something like that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is DLC disabled on the Mac or does the game need some special instruction to tell it that yes, I have the expansions installed? I have everything except SoA, everything is checked on the launcher but I can't choose a Pagan/Muslim ruler because it doesn't think I have the DLC.

Oh and the launcher crashes every time I launch from Steam.

E: Turns out you do -- Steam overlay has to be disabled for whatever reason. Weird.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 26, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*e*

Nope. If there aren't any dynasties around to pull from then it'll random gen them, and all random gen dynasties are "of/d'/de wherever this is"

This isn't precisely true - each culture has at least a few random dynasty names that aren't of that form - the problem is that whatever routine generates dynasty names for a new republic when it's created that way will always pick the same name (probably because it's generating all 4 new families at the exact same time). If you, say, exterminate one of the identically-named patrician Houses, the new one the game generates will have a new name.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So a really strange thing just happened in my game, I had been fighting the Byzantines for pieces of Sicily for a couple of decades now, and sometimes I'll get the popup that I've been chosen by some random Greek Doux as the heir to the Byzantine Empire. I never thought much of it because I'd never get enough of their dudes to vote for me to take it.

So taking another little county in Sicily I get the event that the Emperor himself has been killed in battle, and so his son inherited. Then I checked who the son's heir was, and I thought I was seeing things because the window showed me.

Double checked, sure enough I was set up as heir, so I parked my spymaster in Constantinople, paused the game, and five assassination attempts later, the entire Byzantine Empire is now mine.

It would have made my game so pointless to keep going, so I just broke it apart and kept the Sicily pieces and gave some random duke the Empire, let them tear him to pieces for it.

I also vassalized the Varangian Guard in my own kindgom cause gently caress yeah, personal Viking guards! :black101:

This game is just endless possibilities.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 26, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Dallan Invictus posted:

This isn't precisely true - each culture has at least a few random dynasty names that aren't of that form - the problem is that whatever routine generates dynasty names for a new republic when it's created that way will always pick the same name (probably because it's generating all 4 new families at the exact same time). If you, say, exterminate one of the identically-named patrician Houses, the new one the game generates will have a new name.
New houses are generally pretty incapable of keeping themselves alive, so it'll cycle soon enough.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I got that Jeanne D'arcAlexandra the Maid event in my Byzantium game. In the event where the nobles complain about a lowborn woman leading armies I chose the high diplomacy option where you agree, but tell them the commoners like her. Then nothing happened until she died in battle 30 years later or something. Did I end that whole event chain by being too diplomatic or is that not the way it's supposed to go? It was quite disappointing, even though she did have 54 martial skill. It's not like you need any more martial advantages as Byzantium.

Later I had a demon-spawn girl inherit the empire shortly after her 16th birthday. I was just barely keeping it together her entire 60 year reign, due to the all the vices she picked up with the voice of Satan, but she did manage to eradicate Catholicism and turn most of Europe Bogomilist.

After converting to EUIV there's not a single western tech-group country, so westernisation is impossible, but somehow I don't think tech speed is going to be a problem.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How come you didn't flip to the Roman Empire?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I did, but then I flipped back in EUIV to get all those sweet Byzantine events and decisions. That's an older conversion from before I turned Bogomilist, though, because you can't turn into Byzantium if you're Bogomilist.

I'm really disappointed that the development of holdings and counties don't affect the base tax in EUIV. My fully developed Constantinople got 9 base tax, while almost just as developed Tigris/Baghdad/Rayy was combined with other counties into "lovely" 8 base tax provinces. Kiev with horrible tech and completely undeveloped holdings on the other hand got 14 base tax.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

JGBeagle posted:

Oh what do you know, I can't even run the game. I hit "Start Game" and it never starts up.

EDIT: I had to manually update DirectX with patches from 2009 in order to get it to work. gently caress Windows 8.

I had the same problem. No DLC showed up and the game launched with an error message, needed to manually install some stuff to fix it.

I'm not sure whose fault it is though, Steams, CK or Windows? Most other games automatically install whatever they need when you launch them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Piell posted:

Random events causing pregnancy can fire even if the concerned character is celibate. It's better NOT to marry Jeanne d'Arc and hope one of your unwed sons bones her.

...that sounded so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh man, it would be hilariously awesome -- if vanishingly improbable -- if Jeanne d'Arc were to give birth to the demonspawn child.

• Locked thread