Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

chime_on posted:

I dunno, I think Trillium is up to something pretty amazing and am really interested to see how the last few issues play out. I don't think anything about it is poorly fleshed out; it's so structurally complex so far that it's obvious Lemire knows exactly what he's doing. All odd-numbered issues have had flipped pages and all even-numbered issues have had the timelines interacting in a way to be read straight through. The events at the end of issue #4 pretty obviously telegraphed a major point in the chronology, but we still haven't gotten to see where it all began. Issue #5 seemed like a different 1921 than the 1921 of issue #1 to me, but that remains to be seen.

That's because it is different. William and Nika have swapped places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Jedit posted:

That's because it is different. William and Nika have swapped places.

Obviously that has happened, I'm not an imbecile. I mean that now it seems to be a matriarchal society instead of a patriarchal one, the technology is not quite realistic, etc.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Where's my hardcover Scalped, Vertigo!?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nosophoros posted:

Where's my hardcover Scalped, Vertigo!?

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah it's probably not gonna happen. Maybe if Aaron came back to DC we'd see something nice.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rhyno posted:

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah it's probably not gonna happen. Maybe if Aaron came back to DC we'd see something nice.

It's kinda sad because there's some OSHCs available in France that look gorgeous.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Nearly done collecting all the Sandman volumes and I'm on the Kindly Ones which I hear people talk lukewarm of, I'm actually enjoying the art style in the first part, but yeah I can kind of tell that this could have been shorter than it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Nearly done collecting all the Sandman volumes and I'm on the Kindly Ones which I hear people talk lukewarm of, I'm actually enjoying the art style in the first part, but yeah I can kind of tell that this could have been shorter than it is.

I completely switched off Sandman around halfway through The Kindly Ones, it was SUCH a good run up until that volume. I finished it but it was a major disappointed and I quickly learned that Gaiman can't write endings for poo poo.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The final issue of Sandman is the greatest ending in comics. All these little windows into Dream's mind throughout the series and right at the end, with deft minimalism, you finally feel like you understand who he is.

I didn't know people didn't like Kindly Ones. I like The Wake better but it's still incredible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I didn't know people didn't like Kindly Ones. I like The Wake better but it's still incredible.

The Kindly Ones suffers mainly from the art of Marc Hempel. 99.9% of it is poo poo, made worse by the 0.1% that is incredible.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah I finished reading it last night and have to say the art didn't really bother me, I mean I'm sure technically its awful, but I don't know I just liked it. I also loved how everything was connected by the end with all the small characters from previous volumes coming in again. I've read the Wake at a Library, but hopefully I can get that too and then start reading the new Sandman stuff (also maybe Death and Lucifer and all that good stuff)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm on my annual re-read/get-caught-up of The Unwritten. drat, I'd forgotten how good this comic is.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I gifted my friend "Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice" for Christmas as a stealth way of getting her into "The Unwritten". She completely loved it on the merits of YA fantasy and is now grabbing up the trades after becoming intrigued by the metastory.

This is incidentally the second time where reading one of Carey's stand-alone graphic novels within a series totally blind got a friend interested in the main series (the first being "Nirvana" leading into "Lucifer"). Mike Carey totally owns, in other words.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up The Wolf Among Us when it was on sale during the Steam event and I'm confused who the target audience is. I bought it under the assumption it was a prequel to the comic but it ends on the cliffhanger (seriously big spoiler about the end right here) of Snows severed head on the steps of the Fable building. If it isn't a prequel it makes sense to have that happen but if it is a prequel anyone who has read even issue 1 knows that won't stick.

Anyone know if it is/isn't officially part of Fables?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a prequel and is canon. They're probably doing it specifically to mess with people who have read the comics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a prequel and is canon. They're probably doing it specifically to mess with people who have read the comics.

Like if I hadn't read the comics it would be a :tviv: moment. But knowing that doesn't stick really takes some oomph out of the cliffhanger ya know?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its also Snow White and if the character is popular enough they can not die.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Len posted:

Like if I hadn't read the comics it would be a :tviv: moment. But knowing that doesn't stick really takes some oomph out of the cliffhanger ya know?

I'd wait and see where they go with it before making a judgment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Though in the comic, she gets pretty hosed up for a while just by being shot in the head. Getting her head cut off would probably not be something she'd get over anytime soon.

Actually, when is the Telltale game supposed to be set in relation to the start of the comic? It seemed like it was kind of generic broad-80s-to-2000s timeframe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Though in the comic, she gets pretty hosed up for a while just by being shot in the head. Getting her head cut off would probably not be something she'd get over anytime soon.

Actually, when is the Telltale game supposed to be set in relation to the start of the comic? It seemed like it was kind of generic broad-80s-to-2000s timeframe.

It's in the 80s (you can tell by the movie poster), and the comic is in the 2000s.

The fact that they're at least willing to pull stuff like that is a positive sign to me. Too many prequels tend to play it really safe and never do anything drastic with their characters because they have a preset path they need to reach. Snow White's death seemed like a deliberate response to that.

Of course she isn't actually dead. She can't be. But I'm curious to see how they handle it, and I thought it was a really good stinger that legit took me by surprise.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What I was expecting was the first girl, since we had the scene with her calling attation to her ribbon, to have been that urban legend/ horror story of the woman who had been decapitated but was able to remain alive by tying a ribbon around her neck.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ugh, the Unwritten/Fables Crossover just felt so... pointless. Did it add anything to the Unwritten?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 4, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A three month interruption in the ongoing story?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The final issue of Sandman is the greatest ending in comics. All these little windows into Dream's mind throughout the series and right at the end, with deft minimalism, you finally feel like you understand who he is.

Exiles was another strong issue in The Wake.

Jedit posted:

The Kindly Ones suffers mainly from the art of Marc Hempel. 99.9% of it is poo poo, made worse by the 0.1% that is incredible.

They really should have picked someone else. Anyone else. I'd like to see it redrawn someday. I think I know what Marc was going for but it just didn't work at all.

bobkatt013 posted:

They can't die, but they can be replaced by someone else (which happens at the end of the Animal Farm arc.) There's a scene in the comics where some of the wizards are talking about how the "popular characters can't die" bit works, and even they aren't sure.

Of course we know that it isn't the case here through Bigby's comments in the comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I assume that its going to end with her coming back and Bigby making a deal with the witches so she does not remember.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Brother Lono has been such a great series. I'll be sad to see it end next month.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Sweet, means the trade will be out in a little while and I can finally read it.

E: Checked Amazon, says April. Well, guess it's time to get all the 100 Bullets hardcovers and reread the series. I'll see if I can get my wife to read them too. I started her on comics with Atomic Robo and The Goon.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I just finished the second big ol' volume of Lucifer. What an amazing series. The plot is dense but not unnavigable, and Peter Gross, as if it weren't clear from Unwritten, can draw anything. The issue where Lucifer creates his own Adam & Eve is one of the best single issues I've ever read.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I just finished the second big ol' volume of Lucifer. What an amazing series. The plot is dense but not unnavigable, and Peter Gross, as if it weren't clear from Unwritten, can draw anything. The issue where Lucifer creates his own Adam & Eve is one of the best single issues I've ever read.

Lucifer is one of those rare spinoffs that is better than its parent series.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I'm expecting the final villain to be Beauty, in her Lamia form. Eh, but the game can go anywhere and that's what actually makes it interesting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally reading Sandman and just finished Season of Mists. Holy poo poo, this is so good. I'm glad I haven't read it until now. I don't think my teenage self would have appreciated it when it was being published.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Soonmot posted:

I'm finally reading Sandman and just finished Season of Mists. Holy poo poo, this is so good. I'm glad I haven't read it until now. I don't think my teenage self would have appreciated it when it was being published.

I'm glad I was late to the game because my teenage self was already leaning towards moody, trench coat wearing dorkness...

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Soonmot posted:

My preteen-to-teenage self appreciated it a lot when it was published, but I re-read it last year in anticipation of Overture coming out and it floored me how well-crafted it was. A lot of the 70s DC character stuff went totally over my head when I was younger because it's not as explicit as what Gaiman did with Orpheus, or Shakespeare, etc.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm both looking forward the inevitable rampage in Brother Lono 8 and also dreading it because it's going to be the last issue.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
How do you all feel abotu Brian Azzerrello's run on Hellblazer? I'm going back through the series from 1 to 300, and I'm just kind of noticing how bizarre his run is.

He writes John like a sociopathic con man version of Sherlock Holmes, a totally unrealistic Bugs Bunny, pranking the worst evils of the world while appearing to revel in them. It's extra confusing because the writer never lets the audience in on Constantine's intentions, and they always remain hidden until the very end.

I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God Of Paradise posted:

How do you all feel abotu Brian Azzerrello's run on Hellblazer? I'm going back through the series from 1 to 300, and I'm just kind of noticing how bizarre his run is.

He writes John like a sociopathic con man version of Sherlock Holmes, a totally unrealistic Bugs Bunny, pranking the worst evils of the world while appearing to revel in them. It's extra confusing because the writer never lets the audience in on Constantine's intentions, and they always remain hidden until the very end.

I hate it. Some people love it. I hated it so bad that it halted my Hellblazer marathon when I initially read the series, and it took me over a year to force myself to power through the rest of his issues after the prison arc. It was like passing a kidney stone. Easily the worst run the comic's had.

This is maybe the most painful and obnoxious writing I've seen in a comic since Michael Fleischer worked on Conan.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
It's really jolting after like, Ennis' run which completely humanized the character, seeing him act like a bizarre cartoon villain.

Seemed to me that DC really needed a writer for the thing. Ellis was doing a good job and then poof, he was gone. That's what happened right? Warren Ellis wrote "Shoot," and DC pulled his comic... So they scrambled around and found this guy who is basically writing Constantine like he would The Joker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

It's really jolting after like, Ennis' run which completely humanized the character, seeing him act like a bizarre cartoon villain.

Seemed to me that DC really needed a writer for the thing. Ellis was doing a good job and then poof, he was gone. That's what happened right? Warren Ellis wrote "Shoot," and DC pulled his comic... So they scrambled around and found this guy who is basically writing Constantine like he would The Joker.

Azzerrello was a huge name due to 100 Bullets so they gave him Hellblazer. He decided to move him to America and have him act like he was in Swamp Thing. The problem? He had changed a lot since then and it makes no sense to have this mysterious man as the focus of the book. Also dogfucking

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

God Of Paradise posted:

I've only read Freezes Over out of context from the rest of the run, b/c I'm a huge 100 bullets fan and I found it cheap on sale. Freezes Over is a great self-contained story with lots of tension and mystery.

I can understand why people might not like it from a character development standpoint, but that book stands on its own as a good read at least.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of Hellblazer I've been re-reading my way through Garth Ennis' run and while most of it holds up Damnation's Flame suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Definitely a far worse "Constantine comes to America" story than anything in Azzarello's run, by like a factor of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Speaking of Hellblazer I've been re-reading my way through Garth Ennis' run and while most of it holds up Damnation's Flame suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Definitely a far worse "Constantine comes to America" story than anything in Azzarello's run, by like a factor of 10.

Constantine has never worked in America.

• Locked thread