Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

Even though I do think BSG became a pretty big mess somewhere in season 4 I was happy they went for total insanity instead of sticking with the military thing, which is overall my least favourite aspect of the show's framework.
Did they go overbudget by making it too military survival-ish and by having S1 be mostly engagements? I rather liked it with the character focus as well but I was kinda sad they toned it down and saved big spaceship battles only really for premieres and finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait to be fake surprised again when the short, spunky beardless pirate turns out to be a girl.

I hope it's Ellen Page.

Not kidding. Would watch the hell out of Ellen Page the foul-mouthed pirate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its Starz, they can't afford Ellen Page.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Starz could always dye Kirsten Bell's hair black. Same thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

Starz could always dye Kirsten Bell's hair black. Same thing.

Maybe they could carve a wooden puppet to represent generic nerd bait girl and save loads of money. Would definitely get better acting as well.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Ok. Just saw the last episode of Breaking Bad, season 2. I mean, obviously they could end a season like that, but holy poo poo! All that pool stuff in the pre-titles? Wouldn't have been able to guess what that was really about in a thousand years.

edit: aaaand I just watched the intro to season 3, episode one. Yeah, gonna be interesting to see the explanation for that one.

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 25, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They could cast Felicia Day then dye her hair blonde so she looks like Kirsten Bell and then dye her hair brown to get Ellen Page.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ubergnu posted:

Ok. Just saw the last episode of Breaking Bad, season 2. I mean, obviously they could end a season like that, but holy poo poo! All that pool stuff in the pre-titles? Wouldn't have been able to guess what that was about in a thousand years.

edit: aaaand I just watched the intro to season 3, episode one. Yeah, gonna be interesting to see the explanation for that one.

Season 3 is where it really kicks into high gear. Buckle up.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
CGI ellen page like The Last of Us

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Its Starz, they can afford Ellen Page but they still can't make a good show outside of Spartacus regardless of the budget. See: Camelot

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

CGI ellen page like The Last of Us

They could just hack David Cages computer and get her actual CGI model from Beyond. Presumably he's already self made some sex scenes using it as well to fill Starz quota.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Its Starz, they can afford Ellen Page but they still can't make a good show outside of Spartacus regardless of the budget. See: Camelot

See also: Da Vinci's Demons

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

smg77 posted:

See also: Da Vinci's Demons

Does that show have a huge budget too? Because I know that it is a terrible show, I just thought it was cheap since it looks cheap. Camelot cost like 70 million dollars, had terrible writing and the sets looked like poo poo. Xena had better looking village / town sets than they did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ellen Page is a good actress t:mad:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does that show have a huge budget too? Because I know that it is a terrible show, I just thought it was cheap since it looks cheap. Camelot cost like 70 million dollars, had terrible writing and the sets looked like poo poo. Xena had better looking village / town sets than they did.

Just the thought of Camelot makes me laugh and no other show gets that response from me. The only thing the show did right was cast Eva Green and they didn't even do anything with that besides have her check the Starz nudity boxes.

Spartacus and Party Down were terrific though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Ellen Page seems to have rejected becoming a movie star, when she easily could have, because of Juno. I could see her randomly turning up in a TV series in a couple of years. Hell, I think she'd be amazing on a kind of hangout ensemble sitcom like New Girl.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dude, she was in Inception and is going to be in the upcoming X-Men movie with Peter Dinklage. She's never going to be an A-list celebrity because of her looks, but that doesn't mean she's eschewing her film career.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
And saying Ellen Page could have been a star because of Juno is like saying Jon Heder could have been a star because of Naepoleon Dynamite. Both movies are a product of their specific year and audience at the time.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

precision posted:

Ellen Page is a good actress t:mad:

I don't know how anybody could doubt this unless they haven't seen Hard Candy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Page's acting is the only thing about Beyond Two Souls that distracts you from what a creepy, hacky, pretentious abortion it is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Page's acting is the only thing about Beyond Two Souls that distracts you from what a creepy, hacky, pretentious abortion it is.

And Willem Dafoe's acting, which is also very distracting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

scary ghost dog posted:

And Willem Dafoe's acting, which is also very distracting.

I still laugh every time I see that pic.

Also Ellen Page is pursuing legal action because her character model in the game was made anatomically correct without her consent, so yeah. Creepy as gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also Ellen Page is pursuing legal action because her character model in the game was made anatomically correct without her consent, so yeah. Creepy as gently caress.
What does that mean?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Josh Lyman posted:

What does that mean?

It means that even though the official game doesn't show it, Page's character model was designed with breasts (with nipples) and a vagina, and some PS3 hacker ran the game through debug mode and found a way to see the fully nude character.

Which is creepy as hell.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I had the misfortune of watching Hard Candy, that's why I know she's a terrible actress

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No she isn't, that was falsely reported about a month ago. It was a misinterpretation of something a Sony rep said about the situation when they were trying to get the pictures taken off the internet, she was never pursuing legal action.

Still creepy, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

From what I watched of Camelot (like 7 or 8 episodes?) I did not even see 7 million dollar budget. Was it all location shoots and Eva Green's paycheque or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I got my mom Orphan Black DVDs for Christmas. I figured she and the family would enjoy it and probably watch through it over the rest of the week.

They binged almost the whole show on Christmas day, stopping only because they were too tired to watch the last 2 episodes.

Orphan Black is a pretty good show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rarity posted:

They could cast Felicia Day then dye her hair blonde so she looks like Kirsten Bell and then dye her hair brown to get Ellen Page.

I don't like Helen Paige as much as Kirsten Belle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Thank you. Fantastic movie, aside from the absolutely awful final 15 minutes or so which kind of ruined the film by removing every shred of ambiguity it had built up.

She was also great in Super.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yay Christmas.

I was looking on Netflix and saw that every episode of Top Gear from 2003-2013 is now available for streaming. Everyone should watch Season 10 Episode 4. It's 3 old English dudes driving across Botswana in broken down cars. I think it's the best thing they ever did.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Mu Zeta posted:

Yay Christmas.

I was looking on Netflix and saw that every episode of Top Gear from 2003-2013 is now available for streaming. Everyone should watch Season 10 Episode 4. It's 3 old English dudes driving across Botswana in broken down cars. I think it's the best thing they ever did.

Oliver :3:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yay Christmas.

I'm kind of partial to the Vietnam special myself.

:911:BOOOOOOOOOR N THA YOU ESS AYYY:911:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

I'm kind of partial to the Vietnam special myself.

:911:BOOOOOOOOOR N THA YOU ESS AYYY:911:

They edited it out for the Netflix version. It plays the Star-Spangled Banner instead :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Well, if anyone wants to witness a real Christmas miracle, right now in the UK TV thread ThomasPaine is trying to argue that Big Bang Theory is nerd black face.

This is an argument I've truly never seen in person before.

Here he is chipping in on the oppression of black people through out history;

ThomasPaine posted:

That 'brutal and horrifying history' is a direct expression, albeit an extreme one, of the same principle of othering. If anything, it's evidence of the insidious danger of such an exclusionary attitude.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally finished The Returned. What a disappointment. For all the hype about it being 'the good zombie show.' it was, in many respects, much worse than The Walking Dead. I think the biggest problem is that none of the characters communicate with each other, which makes them unrelateable, their behavior seem random, and robs the audience of catharsis. I know real people don't have big blowouts where they lay out all their feelings and motivations to each other, but The Returned isn't a documentary, its a zombie melodrama. We need that insight into characters because, without it, they all come off really, really poorly. The most egregious examples comes at the end of the season where a woman finally gets to confront the man who brutally assaulted her years before. How does the scene play out? It doesn't. It just loving ends and when we next see the woman she's just nonchalantly standing in the back of a crowd scene. A season of build-up and she doesn't even talk to him (let alone beat the unliving poo poo out of him). What a goddamn waste of a storyline in a goddamn waste of a show.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, if anyone wants to witness a real Christmas miracle, right now in the UK TV thread ThomasPaine is trying to argue that Big Bang Theory is nerd black face.

The IT Crowd is a good show that would've been regarded as a classic if it were made in 1996 instead of 2006.

(jesus, is he really trying to SJW nerds?)

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 26, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

(jesus, is he really trying to SJW nerds?)

Check your jock privilege

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sober posted:

From what I watched of Camelot (like 7 or 8 episodes?) I did not even see 7 million dollar budget. Was it all location shoots and Eva Green's paycheque or something?

It was all location shooting in Ireland or Scotland I think. Also instead of using old castles like GoT, they built their own so that must've eaten up a lot of money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Last couple of days been watching Arrow (eight or so episodes in).

Surprisingly engaging action show. The writing isn't insulting, the tone isn't sophomoric, and the world and overall plot is enticing enough to zip to the next episode. Didn't think I would still be excited about this, this deep in. Some things I do worry about: the huge number of episodes in the season for what seems like a plot that doesn't merit (i.e. what's happening on the island, etc). And the large cast, giving an excuse to go into stupid dreary plotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

Last couple of days been watching Arrow (eight or so episodes in).

Surprisingly engaging action show. The writing isn't insulting, the tone isn't sophomoric, and the world and overall plot is enticing enough to zip to the next episode. Didn't think I would still be excited about this, this deep in. Some things I do worry about : the huge number of episodes in the season for what seems like a plot that doesn't merit (i.e. what's happening on the island, etc). And the large cast, giving an excuse to go into stupid dreary plotting.

The thing about Arrow is that if the writers have a direction they want to go in they do not waste any time doing it. It pretty much never drags and is always moving on to something else. So if there's something you're not liking very much (most people dislike the Huntress episodes) then just stick with it a couple more episodes because it'll be moving on fast. The show doesn't use its 23 episodes as an excuse to drag out story, it uses it to tell more story. And then in season two it goes at the speed of light.

• Locked thread