Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Abyssia is considered weak in MP because it has very poor diversity, on relatively expensive mages, and poor strategic mobility.

In SP, their heavy infantry is extremely powerful against the hordes of cheap troops the AI fields.

For a pretender, you either want an E major bless, or a large number of diversity paths. Having Prod 2+ is a necessity. SC is generally unnecessary, since your troops will have no trouble even against strong indies.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snee
Dec 19, 2013
Hey, was hoping to play a MP game on brainwrinkle. How do I "prove" ownership, if I bought the game on GG?

Thanks.

I'm hoping this is the correct thread to de-lurk in?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don't really use Gamersgate. Is there like a profile page you could link showing the games you own? Or take a screenshot of that page if you can't link it.

Snee
Dec 19, 2013
Even using the snip tool I am having trouble copying the image into the thread, and it says I may not attach. Is there a trick? Nothing happens with Ctrl-V.

I used the GG code to obtain a steam key as well. Although I don't particularly want two installs is that somehow easier to verify?

Sorry for the trouble.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
I put the link to my Steam profile in when I signed up and got approved fine. I'd recommend doing that

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Snee posted:

Even using the snip tool I am having trouble copying the image into the thread, and it says I may not attach. Is there a trick? Nothing happens with Ctrl-V.

I used the GG code to obtain a steam key as well. Although I don't particularly want two installs is that somehow easier to verify?

Sorry for the trouble.

You can upload photos to the internet using imgur. Browse to the location of the file on your computer after clicking the Computer button and select the relevant file(s), then you can give people the link it generates or embed it into a post with tags, like this: [img]so_and_so.com/photo.jpg[/img]

But yeah like Mecheon says, you can just link your Steam profile.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
The nation description says EA Abysia doesn't take an income/supply hit for taking Death scales but the tooltip still displays an income loss (while showing zero supply loss, as expected) when sinking the scale on the pretender creation screen. Anybody know if it's the description or the scale's tooltip that is displaying incorrectly?

I haven't played EA Abysia in MP since my first game in Dom3, but I'd probably take the Neteret of Many Names now. For nations that don't need a SC and have access to her, there's never really a reason NOT to take a Dom 3 Research-bonus basically-a-Rainbow Titan. She's pretty great!

Speleothing posted:

For a pretender, you either want an E major bless, or a large number of diversity paths. Having Prod 2+ is a necessity. SC is generally unnecessary, since your troops will have no trouble even against strong indies.

Yeah after playing as EA Machaka and Shinuyama, I'm a bit envious of Abysia's starting army- they can single handedly blaze a trail to the ends of the earth- without reinforcement- if you pick your fights right.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm playing MA Marignon, and I think it's sort of weird. It's pretty good to get to get a mono bless, but not for your flagellants. Since all their battle mages are sacred, they really benefit from stuff like A9 or E9. I'm trying to figure out flagellants but the problem is, that they're crap. They need both a bless to keep themselves alive for more than one attack, and a bless that actually allows them to kill anything. Right now, you'd probably get more mileage out of recruiting more crossbowmen than them.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm trying to find a list of the assassins in the game - specifically looking for nations with national assassins, and if there are any sacred assassins/summonable assassins with sacred. Anyone know some off the top of your head?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Top of my head:

All ages of Abyssia have Assassins. LA Aby has Sacred assassins and Assassin mages

Mictlan has a sacred assasin summon.

TNN has assassin mages.

All seducers are essentially assassins with a slight chance at collecting the target instead of attacking it.

Edit: vvv was just about to edit that in. I guess this is a more complete list. vvv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 26, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

I Love You! posted:

I'm trying to find a list of the assassins in the game - specifically looking for nations with national assassins, and if there are any sacred assassins/summonable assassins with sacred. Anyone know some off the top of your head?

This should be all of them, barring any ModBrowser goofiness

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well all the Slayers for LA Abyssia (Worm, Sanguine, Anathemat) are all sacred recruitable assassins. The Samanishadas are summoned ones for the monkey nations.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Monkeypaw is pretty much done--it's turn 15 and Ermor already cast BoT. Turn 15, seriously. Can we please start considering games with ermor to be "gimmick games" rather than "standard games?" There appear to be an infinite number of internet tough-guys that hate the idea of pussifying the game by banning a nation that's totally game ruining but I solemnly swear to never play another game with MA Ermor again*.

*Unless I'm Ermor, because gently caress you all.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Smerdyakov posted:

Monkeypaw is pretty much done--it's turn 15 and Ermor already cast BoT. Turn 15, seriously. Can we please start considering games with ermor to be "gimmick games" rather than "standard games?" There appear to be an infinite number of internet tough-guys that hate the idea of pussifying the game by banning a nation that's totally game ruining but I solemnly swear to never play another game with MA Ermor again*.

*Unless I'm Ermor, because gently caress you all.

What is BoT? And how does Ermor manage to get that far ahead, their mages are free I take it or something?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Thaum 5 by turn 15? He's rushed it to the exclusion of all else.

Also, Ban MA Ermor in every game forever.

BoT = Burden of Time = gently caress This Gay Earth

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Burden of Time, rather low hanging fruit at Alt Thaum 5.

It slowly kills the world's population, and randomly ages, afflicts and kills all units in the game. The major downside is that it affects your units/lands too. The major upside for MA Ermor is, they don't give a flying gently caress about population and their units are all already dead.

e: knew it was something 5.

I Love You! posted:

What is BoT? And how does Ermor manage to get that far ahead, their mages are free I take it or something?
They're actually pretty poo poo researchers, since all their mages cost lots of death gems. Not as crap as Lemuria, but early game at least they're pretty easy to out research. With effort they can make a concerted rush for BoT though, and they have the innate death gem income to cast it and keep it.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 26, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How would one get rid of it?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Speaking of Abyssia, the nation description says something about increased resources from Cave Forts, which might be worth tweaking map gen for?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How would one get rid of it?

By banning Ermor.

You could theoretically dispel it, except that:

A) Dispel is an enchantment 5 spell that you would have to rush to the exclusion of all else, which pretty much no one would do, and....
B) It's an astral 3 spell and takes 30 gems, so you'd have to have been saving for it all game, and...
C) Burden of time was probably cast by a D9 pretender, so if you don't have an S9 pretender, you'd need even more gems, plus Ermor almost certainly put all their gems into it, but...
D) Even if you somehow manage to dispel it once, Ermor has 15 death gem a turn income base, and with minimal site searching/alchemy they can get that up to 20+ a turn easily, which means that they can recast it every 3-4 turns, forever.

And you can forget about sieging their cap,because the mindless undead freespawn come every turn and they don't get a siege penalty, so you'll need to bring 500+ guys into a province that has between 10 and 20 supply, and leave them there for 5-10 turns.

Hope. Change. A Banned Ermor.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ermor gets an income of 15 D gems a turn, and with the fact there are less sites and research is harder, BoT is more unfun than ever.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

are there a lot of people opposed to banning ermor? I think that usually the only reason ermor is enabled is because people don't know how to disable it

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't think so, you can't really argue with the rationale for their omission.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
If it unbalances the game by that much why not get rid of it?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've already said, and am sticking with, that I am refusing to play in any game that MA Ermor is being played in. They make the game unfun even without the siege bug, but with it they make the game just a waste of time.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I think we've had one game organizing type (kenlon?) say they intend to continue allowing all the freespawn nations, but I haven't seen anyone else objecting to bans. It's probably mostly been inertia so far, I'm really surprised it's taken this long for a blanket ban to settle in.

That said, while I am 100% in favor of banning MA Ermor even after the mindless siege bug is fixed, I'm also going to keep making fun of people who whine about Burden of Time constantly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

As far as inertia is concerned, it was actually somewhat controversial to allow the Ashen Empire in the first Dom4 beta games, but we felt that maybe the stronger MA mages and priests would perhaps be able to deal with them more effectively.

We were wrong, and it is right & proper for us to return to banning Ashen Empire.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Could care less if Ermor is banned regularly, but I don't object either. BoT rush is kind of laughable though, because that's basically beating himself by committing the pretender and cap income to anything other than expansion/sites/priests/mages.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If there is a monkeypaw suicide pact let me know, I love those.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Victor Vermis posted:

The nation description says EA Abysia doesn't take an income/supply hit for taking Death scales but the tooltip still displays an income loss (while showing zero supply loss, as expected) when sinking the scale on the pretender creation screen. Anybody know if it's the description or the scale's tooltip that is displaying incorrectly?

I haven't played EA Abysia in MP since my first game in Dom3, but I'd probably take the Neteret of Many Names now. For nations that don't need a SC and have access to her, there's never really a reason NOT to take a Dom 3 Research-bonus basically-a-Rainbow Titan. She's pretty great!

Yeah after playing as EA Machaka and Shinuyama, I'm a bit envious of Abysia's starting army- they can single handedly blaze a trail to the ends of the earth- without reinforcement- if you pick your fights right.

Well if farm crops not being affected by death doesn't give a malus that makes sense per the description but boy does it loving kill your pop dead still. Never take this ever. Abysia has poo poo income already, old loving guys who are more likely to become afflicted with a death scale, and you have access to blood which means you need pop to make use of that.

If you are Abysia you need to leverage blood, fire will only get you so far.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

TheDemon posted:

Could care less if Ermor is banned regularly, but I don't object either. BoT rush is kind of laughable though, because that's basically beating himself by committing the pretender and cap income to anything other than expansion/sites/priests/mages.

It doesn't seem to have been much of a sacrifice, Ermor is #1 by a large margin in research and gem income, solidly first in dominion, and around the median for # of provinces. Mabe you could argue there's an opportunity cost, but thaum is a pretty great path for a death-heavy nation anyway.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Can't really judge Ermor by the same metrics as other nations though. Take 15 pretender turns and spend it on expansion and site-searching and Ermor is leading the province graph and has doubled their starting gem income. Both those things are an order of magnitude more important for Ermor than Thau 5. Especially expansion before their dominion spreads, because they need gold to fort up as forts and temples dictate their freespawn pace.

I mean, obviously they're leading the early-game gem graphs, they start with 3x what other nations do, and obviously they're leading the research graphs as they dumped everything into pretender RP. But Thau is a pathetic path for a death-heavy freespawn nation at any level. Leeching Darkness is ok, but what you actually want is one of Alt 6 / Ench 6 / Evo 5 to 7. And when your priests cost 16-23 and your mages cost 12-20 gems each, then 70+ gems to BoT is far too much on turn 15.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Frighten/Terror are good spells, and dusk elders can all commune, so thaum isn't totally worthless.

Const 4 for amulets of the dead is very useful. You get solar eclipse at alt 5 too, a good number of dusk elders can cast that for free with phoenix power and fire in a jar.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Can't really judge Ermor by the same metrics as other nations though. Take 15 pretender turns and spend it on expansion and site-searching and Ermor is leading the province graph and has doubled their starting gem income. Both those things are an order of magnitude more important for Ermor than Thau 5. Especially expansion before their dominion spreads, because they need gold to fort up as forts and temples dictate their freespawn pace.

This is all true for an Ermor trying to win, but not the case for an Ermor that's trying to troll. I don't think Ermor is particularly overpowered and in my experience they're usually pretty easy to invade early, but that doesn't mean that you can kill them before they cast and recast BoT. I love the thematic idea of an undead rome, I love that burden of time is easy to reach when it's genuinely a double-edged sword, but I don't think it's more fun to play games where nations that have researchers who can't survive early repeated castings of BoT are no longer even remotely competitive. Of course Dom4 isn't completely balanced, but every nation* always has a chance to win through the use of strategy and diplomacy, whereas disease rolls on turn 15 take place pretty much outside of the realm of strategy.

*Except underwater nations.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 27, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Yeah, I can completely understand banning Ermor because of metagame-warping and "troll" potential as you put it. For Ermor in particular a BoT rush just stacks on the normal Ermor metagame issues. But that said, a 20-turn BoT rush, often sooner, is possible on basically every nation with 3D+ cap income. With any nation, the rusher is making winning the game themselves impossibly difficult. My point is while these kinds of things are stupid and is another point in favor of Ban Ermor, let's not mistake what's happening here for powerful or game-winning.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone know what determines the chance for a spy to infiltrate a capitol is? Haven't had much luck in SP and don't want to risk an international incident in MP. Was thinking that if it were simply a stealth check, one of those stealth boosting items might help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's piss poor and you won't get graphs worth reading unless your spies are also mages.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Acashic Record is the way forward.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TheDemon posted:

Yeah, I can completely understand banning Ermor because of metagame-warping and "troll" potential as you put it. For Ermor in particular a BoT rush just stacks on the normal Ermor metagame issues. But that said, a 20-turn BoT rush, often sooner, is possible on basically every nation with 3D+ cap income. With any nation, the rusher is making winning the game themselves impossibly difficult. My point is while these kinds of things are stupid and is another point in favor of Ban Ermor, let's not mistake what's happening here for powerful or game-winning.

The difference is that any other nation is killable. If ermor sticks all their freespawn in their capital you will never be able to siege it down while your army starves to death outside.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm less for hating Ermor, more for crying over Marignon/Abyssia's old age mages getting completely hosed by BoT. Guess what happened in another game, with the global "Thaumaturgy rituals are cheaper" event? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
As a super new player how can I actually get better to be able to play MP?

In the week I've owned Dom 4 I can now consistently crush the AI with either a strong bless nation, MA Ermor, or the LA ghost guys. That's mostly because the AI is completely dumb and will try to invade provinces my PD can defend, they get totally smashed by blessed giants/jaguar guys/warriors of five elements, or they don't do anything about my dominion bleeding them dry. I still don't really have any high level strategies beyond make sacred units or push dominion.

I know little about what I should actually research or how to use battle mages, useful summons, path boosting, item crafting, or building SCs other than the basics of the concepts from reading some forum posts. I've been playing more T'ien Chi as suggested but by the time magic seems to start to get useful those crazy archers and sacred units have already smashed everything.

• Locked thread