Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

silentpenguins posted:

Hey all, mommy's getting an iPad Air for christmas and also getting one of the Apple cases with it... Any recommendation on a keyboard that works with this case? Most of the ones I have looked at include the case.

The real trick is that if you don't get a keyboard case, you'll need some way of propping up your iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

If she has the Apple case, though, propping isn't a problem.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Two questions,

Is it possible to control a windows 7 laptop with an iPad3? Google is kind of all over the place.

I'd love to see a website that has iPad-theme templates. For instance if you wanted to use your tablet as a media center, you'll find a list of apps / tips tricks to look into. Again Google articles on this are largely out of date and widely vary.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

yancy2010 posted:

Two questions,

Is it possible to control a windows 7 laptop with an iPad3? Google is kind of all over the place.

Do you just mean a remote desktop app? If so I'd recommend Splashtop. I use it to control my Mac Pro when I'm downstairs. I can connect to the Mac Pro, download a movie, get it on iTunes and then watch it on my Apple TV all done on my iPad. Technology is great sometimes.

On the topic of remote desktop apps, I'm surprised Apple haven't released something for iOS devices to OS X similar to their built-in screen sharing software.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Do you just mean a remote desktop app? If so I'd recommend Splashtop. I use it to control my Mac Pro when I'm downstairs. I can connect to the Mac Pro, download a movie, get it on iTunes and then watch it on my Apple TV all done on my iPad. Technology is great sometimes.

I actually meant remote as in utilizing an app to control features on my Windows 7 laptop on the opposite side of my room which essentially now just exists to stream in media (netflix, hulu, movies). This would be insanely convenient since I'm usually browsing or reading on my iPad while half watching something in the background.

That being said I do also have a Mac Pro and what you said sounds pretty awesome, I'll look into it. Thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you can use XBMC as your media player on the desktop, the official remote app is great.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

yancy2010 posted:

I actually meant remote as in utilizing an app to control features on my Windows 7 laptop on the opposite side of my room which essentially now just exists to stream in media (netflix, hulu, movies). This would be insanely convenient since I'm usually browsing or reading on my iPad while half watching something in the background.

That being said I do also have a Mac Pro and what you said sounds pretty awesome, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Plex is worth checking out as well as XMBC.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Plex is worth checking out as well as XMBC.

Found Plex after XMBC was brought up. Having a hard time seeing the big differences. Is one generally regarded as better than the other? It would be nice if Plex had a more concise About page instead of a Wiki.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

XMBC is open source and supports more plugins/formats/themes/etc., but Plex is more stable and easier to set up in my experience.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
$40 for a $50 iTunes Gift Card!

While searching around for some deals saw this guy, didn't see one posted lately... so have at you!

The deal looks good for only today.. so hurry up!

http://bit.ly/1hzCUbn

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That deal is around a lot. There was a 35 for 50 last month, and the real deals happen after Christmas when people dump the cards they got for quick cash.

(If you were getting referral on that link, sorry.)

edit: You spammed that same post in every iOS thread? Come on, man.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 23, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

eddiewalker posted:

That deal is around a lot. There was a 35 for 50 last month, and the real deals happen after Christmas when people dump the cards they got for quick cash.

(If you were getting referral on that link, sorry.)

edit: You dropped that same post in every iOS thread? Come on, man.

Nah, there's no cut of sales the way it would be with Amazon.

I know there are sales like this every once in a while, but last month was last month. I didn't see one available currently so I had searched out for one, and that was a deal that was happening right now.

By YOUR definition, no one should post sales or deals alerts because "it happens sometimes".. so I'm not really sure what put you in a bad mood today.

I put it in a couple threads that would be the relevant threads to dump them in. Where else would I put a deal to iTunes cards? The Windows Surface threads?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is an entire forum for posting deals.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I was looking at the ipad air website and every demo picture and video is of the white model.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

withak posted:

There is an entire forum for posting deals.

Not everyone reads that forum. If he hadn't of posted that here I wouldn't of seen it and be able to jump on it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I was looking at the ipad air website and every demo picture and video is of the white model.

Apple likes using their white models for promo videos. I think they even prefer that app developers use images of the white iPhone/iPad when creating screenshots of apps for use on their website. I guess it's a "cleaner" look or whatever.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Fun fact: app developers are officially discouraged from using gold iPhones in their promo material.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't blame em, they look like poo poo.

Merry Christmas!
(Don't mind this comment if you get a gold iPhone for Christmas)

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
So i'm insanely pleased with my new iPad and now feel like one of the cool kids for having one. Quick question though; I'm unable to make any in app purchases. App Store purchases are fine but via garageband or anything else I get an error telling me my purchase cannot be completed and I need to speak to apple tech support. A quick google suggests its a common problem and seemingly random but no one knows how to resolve it. Do any goons have thoughts/solutions for this?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheCrushinator posted:

I need to speak to apple tech support.

Why are you asking us?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TheCrushinator posted:

So i'm insanely pleased with my new iPad and now feel like one of the cool kids for having one. Quick question though; I'm unable to make any in app purchases. App Store purchases are fine but via garageband or anything else I get an error telling me my purchase cannot be completed and I need to speak to apple tech support. A quick google suggests its a common problem and seemingly random but no one knows how to resolve it. Do any goons have thoughts/solutions for this?

You've not exceeded your 5 device limit?

Is it possible it has something to do with Apple's freeze of the app store for holidays? Or maybe you just need to reset your apple id password. I had problems with my Apple id but they somehow fixed themselves.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hmm I couldn't make an in app purchase on my new iphone but i could on the old iPad. I bet I have 5 devices listed. How do I fix it?

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
I'm new to the whole apple gizmo thing, only 2 devices listed on iTunes, PC and iPad. I asked the thread because there may have been an easy fix, and apple support take 72 hours to get back to you. I'll check whats been suggested and then learn to be patient.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Try logging out of the App Store and back in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got my gf a iPad Mini retina and now... my iPhone 5 looks like a piece of poo poo. However, I would never want a giant phone like this. But at home.... gently caress it's so nice for dicking about.

Seriously contemplating dumping my iPhone, use a iPad at work and at home -- then use a dumb phone for calls when out and about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got the iPad Air after having a 1 for years. The new one is great but I really like the original style case my iPad one used. Anyone know of a good similar case for the Air, or at least what that style of case is called so I can look for myself?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

zoux posted:

Got the iPad Air after having a 1 for years. The new one is great but I really like the original style case my iPad one used. Anyone know of a good similar case for the Air, or at least what that style of case is called so I can look for myself?

The official Smart Case?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

The official Smart Case?

That's the exact style I want, but $80 seems a bit steep. I'll see if I can find a similar 3rd party for cheaper.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got an unopened iPad 2 that I have no use for - if I want cash for it, I'm thinking my best bet would be to take it to an Apple Store for store-credit, and then sell the gift card to a 3rd-party site like Cardpool.com for cash

Is that my best route?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Are there any recommended screen protector type things? I never really notice on my phone, but on my new Air it's a bit more noticeable and I'm gonna use it for Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. I'm hesitant, though I've heard good things about the Zagg Invisible Shield.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

zoux posted:

That's the exact style I want, but $80 seems a bit steep. I'll see if I can find a similar 3rd party for cheaper.

I got my wife a Fintie case off Amazon for her iPad Mini and it's excellent, and only $10.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

EugeneJ posted:

Just got an unopened iPad 2 that I have no use for - if I want cash for it, I'm thinking my best bet would be to take it to an Apple Store for store-credit, and then sell the gift card to a 3rd-party site like Cardpool.com for cash

Is that my best route?

You're not going to get nearly as much as if you sold it on your own. Just sell it here or locally

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

TheCrushinator posted:

I had this. I tried a ton of suggestions via Google, but in the end, I had to wipe the device and start over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone using an iCade 8Bitty controller? How is it?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Seriously contemplating dumping my iPhone, use a iPad at work and at home -- then use a dumb phone for calls when out and about.

Not to say you won't succeed, but I tried for 2 months before I gave in. I have an LTE iPad and figured I'd be fine with that and a work provided blackberry.

The problem for me is that it's hard to just whip out the iPad on a whim and do something on it. It's also a pain to use when your running around like in a store or at the airport when you're headed to your next flight, etc. I love my ipad, but it's only good for home surfing or extended periods of downtime IMO.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just got an iPad Air, holy crap this thing is amazing. It's like one of those things from Star Trek TNG. Can anyone recommend some good apps for it? I like games such as Doom and Carmageddon, which are awesome on iOS.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Just got an iPad Air, holy crap this thing is amazing. It's like one of those things from Star Trek TNG. Can anyone recommend some good apps for it? I like games such as Doom and Carmageddon, which are awesome on iOS.

San Andreas looks great on the Air, as well as XCOM which is way better on an iPad than an iPhone. KOTOR is also a must buy.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

zoux posted:

I have a poetic smart case. Was around ten bucks a few weeks ago on amazon. Probably not as nice as the $80 apple case but for 10 bucks it works really well and feels nice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone using an iCade 8Bitty controller? How is it?

poo poo. I have 2. Button mapping nightmare, when it works at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

XCOM is great. KOTOR is too once you get used the controls. They are HUGE games, however, and you're better off downloading them on your PC and installing them that way. Frozen Synapse is great, especially if you like XCOM and I can heartily recommend it if you really like that kind of thing. There's also a dedicated iOS gaming thread in games, so if you'd like you can get lots of recommendations there. I'd link but I'm ipad posting myself so it's a bit of a pain.

And get Awful App if you haven't already. It's practically necessary.