Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Splicer posted:

This makes me want an account just to get sent to rear end in a top hat Land and then spend every match playing awfully for about 10 minutes before disconnecting.

What you do is have a friend who's actually a decent player (but stuck in rear end in a top hat Land) create a party. You and three other players can join that party and proceed to use the magic of teamwork to utterly crush the other team, which has a 90% chance of being composed of raging idiots. It's rare to finish a game with all the players on the other team still connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

LPQ is kind of like a time machine back to the WC3 days. I haven't been there since I got a computer that doesn't crash constantly, but I sometimes wish I could go voluntarily for a game or two and bask in the nostalgia of endless 3v4 matches and off-the-wall builds.

I know you can match with people who are in LPQ to get there, but it's just not the same when you're not solo.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Abandoning in LPQ fortunately does not make the game not count for everybody else, only for you except if you do it really early on. This is nice since it's pretty easy to get into LPQ if you have a bad ISP or whatever.

Regarding chatbans, Kingraven, legendarily angry player, is muted for days/weeks at a time except for the occasional game when the ban wears out and he's instantly re-muted. It even says this whenever you try to talk "No one hears you. Your account has been flagged as disruptive and your communication privileges temporarily revoked." He also has a blog that he uses to rage/another guy uses to make fun of him raging.

http://www.dotallyrad.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajikB_XIl1c

Edit: bonus raven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-64-hR65E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7JlZXYEYA

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 24, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How can one person hold so much rage?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Impotent rage! The wonderful rage when whatever you are angry at is utterly and completely outside of your insignificant control and that just makes you angrier.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How can one person hold so much rage?
Poorly. That's why it keeps leaking out all over the place.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
That can't be real. Right?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Shukaro posted:

Abandoning in LPQ fortunately does not make the game not count for everybody else, only for you except if you do it really early on.

Oh, is that how it works? I've got a friend I play with who has a notoriously lovely connection that lands him there infrequently and I swear we've has games where someone abandons post-first blood and his games remaining counter doesn't decrement. I wouldn't be surprised if it got shuffled around again though, that seems much more sensible.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bucketmouse posted:

Oh, is that how it works? I've got a friend I play with who has a notoriously lovely connection that lands him there infrequently and I swear we've has games where someone abandons post-first blood and his games remaining counter doesn't decrement. I wouldn't be surprised if it got shuffled around again though, that seems much more sensible.

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as 'early' but when it does count as that it should say something about early abandonment, at least in my experience.

Noah posted:

That can't be real. Right?

Oh it's real alright. It all comes from his livestreams. http://www.twitch.tv/kingraven_
Speak of the devil he's live right now.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 24, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Shukaro posted:

Abandoning in LPQ fortunately does not make the game not count for everybody else, only for you except if you do it really early on. This is nice since it's pretty easy to get into LPQ if you have a bad ISP or whatever.

Regarding chatbans, Kingraven, legendarily angry player, is muted for days/weeks at a time except for the occasional game when the ban wears out and he's instantly re-muted. It even says this whenever you try to talk "No one hears you. Your account has been flagged as disruptive and your communication privileges temporarily revoked." He also has a blog that he uses to rage/another guy uses to make fun of him raging.

I don't know what hills are but apparently they make him angry. Very angry, actually.

It's amazing how he's the one who rage quit and he's the one getting angry at everyone. This is hilarious.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shukaro posted:

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as 'early' but when it does count as that it should say something about early abandonment, at least in my experience.

Oh it's real alright. It all comes from his livestreams. http://www.twitch.tv/kingraven_
Speak of the devil he's live right now.

Livestreaming him browsing okcupid I guess. Weird.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Shukaro posted:

Wow, I thought I got mad at trivial stuff easily, but now I realize I'm a amateur.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't know what hills are but apparently they make him angry. Very angry, actually.

It's amazing how he's the one who rage quit and he's the one getting angry at everyone. This is hilarious.

The terrain is kind of 3d. There are "levels" and if the fight is "up hill" then ranged attacks miss about half the time so he's making half the money he wants to because he couldn't keep the fight in the middle.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bucketmouse posted:

pre:
#######################################################
#                YOUR MATCH IS READY                  #
# [ACCEPT LOW-PRIORITY MATCH]              [DECLINE]  #
#######################################################

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I used to rage hardcore in mW2. I'm glad I loving chilled out.

Games aren't that serious, gently caress armrest generals. I'm gonna do what I want to do.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Soulex posted:

Games aren't that serious, gently caress armrest generals. I'm gonna do what I want to do.

I used to get mad whenever I had a bad match. It was why I traded the game away since there wasn't anything else to do but run laps around the map scoring kills and dodging airstrikes or aircraft attacks. It's more fun not giving a poo poo and trying to go for gimmick kills like knife runs or using paddles and rivets in the Battlefield games.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Action Tortoise posted:

I used to get mad whenever I had a bad match. It was why I traded the game away since there wasn't anything else to do but run laps around the map scoring kills and dodging airstrikes or aircraft attacks. It's more fun not giving a poo poo and trying to go for gimmick kills like knife runs or using paddles and rivets in the Battlefield games.

I was playing with goons and got mad when. I was trying to win or capture something and no one helped me. I eventually gave up being a try hard. Mostly when IW patched out all the fun poo poo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Speaking of stupid Modern Warfare poo poo, remember when people used to boost to get nukes? This has probably already been posted in the thread but I haven't seen it in the last few pages.

For the fortunate who have never touched the games, one of Call of Duty's multiplayer gimmicks since Modern Warfare was to reward good players with killstreak rewards. If you could go on a killing spree without dying you could get certain benefits like calling up UAV drones to do radar sweeps and find hidden players, select an area on the map for airstrikes, and summon air to surface vehicles to attack players for you and beef up your k/d.

Modern Warfare 2 added more rewards, and the highest was to summon a nuclear strike. In order to do so you had to get to 25 kills without dying! Sounds like a pain to pull off, right?

Well, one of the items MW2 added that took up a special grenade slot - usually reserved for flashbangs and smokes - was the Tactical Insertion. It was a flare that you could drop at any point in the map so that when you respawned you would always return to that spot instead of randomly popping up near an ally.

So to cheese the nuke strike you needed two people who would be on opposite teams. They'd find an out of the way spot and the one of the guys would drop a Tac Insert nearby. The other would kill him as he repeatedly respawned via the Insert. Eventually he'd get to 25 kills and call up a nuke to win the game.

You could totally tell who was boosting by looking at the k/d's and seeing who had top and bottom frags for the match. Some people took to hunting these boosters down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZXqFgUI828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuB3tqMrpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFSIZihpDk

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 24, 2013

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

I kinda wish I could relax and play RTS games, but for some reason I rage every-time I play RTS and lose to the point where I just avoid them altogether now. Probably because the time investment is bigger than FPS. Also RTS are loving hard.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

soy posted:

I kinda wish I could relax and play RTS games, but for some reason I rage every-time I play RTS and lose to the point where I just avoid them altogether now. Probably because the time investment is bigger than FPS. Also RTS are loving hard.

Then again, that feeling of sheer bliss you get when you realize your opponent just made the mistaken move that decides the game in your favor is oh so worth it. Even as an observer, there's still that moment of realization; for example, that video where the guy tries a cannon rush without checking to make sure his opponent's base is actually there.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

soy posted:

I made gold at Starcraft just by printing out canned builds, hotkeying everything and rushing as fast as possible - the games I would play would be over in 10 minutes win or lose.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got pretty far along in silver in starcraft by using canned protoss builds, I played a few hundred games... ultimately though I can't take it much farther though unlike team FPS where I do pretty well in top tier competition etc.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

Then again, that feeling of sheer bliss you get when you realize your opponent just made the mistaken move that decides the game in your favor is oh so worth it. Even as an observer, there's still that moment of realization; for example, that video where the guy tries a cannon rush without checking to make sure his opponent's base is actually there.

This is one of best things about playing Star Craft 2. Being about 3 or 4 minutes into a game where nothing much has happened and getting a GG out of nowhere, then going back to the replay and seeing someone do something like this. The things people will quit over are insane. I had one guy GG 45 seconds into a game because my scout killed his.

One of my all time favorite lovely cheese moves was in Command & Conquer Tiberium Sun. I'd fill up about 3 tunneling APCS with engineers, pop up them up in the middle of an enemy base and just converting and selling all the buildings.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
As soon as our single pub loaded, we started caroling. He disconnected.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bucketmouse posted:

As soon as our single pub loaded, we started caroling. He disconnected.

I think we're gonna need some more details on this one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MOBA style games require five people and very often you only have 3 friends plus yourself so there's always one random pub, or public player, to fill in the gap. He drove off that random player by everyone else being weird over the voice communication that allows a team to coordinate their strategy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Theoretically, at least. Most of the time it's used for swearing.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Theoretically, at least. Most of the time it's used for swearing.

Swearing AND explaining to your teammates every single way in which they've played suboptimally, thank you very much. Also don't forget the slurs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So 7 Days to Die is basically my quintessential zombie apocalypse sim game at the moment. It does everything DayZ and all of its spin-off mods do without the jank, and has the features of Minecraft to boot. It also makes for some amazing griefing.

Buried Alive 1000 Leagues Under The Sea Lake:

So on the currently released map there's a fairly large body of water called the Spillway Lake. The rivers drain into it, so there's a fairly titanic amount of water in there. If you've ever played a game that uses fluid physics like Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft, you can probably imagine how this could backfire on a careless player if they wanted to build around there. This would be the part where I mention that 7 Days to Die has a rudimentary fluid physics system as well.

You might think most people would look at this and think to themselves "Wow, maybe I shouldn't build anything important below the elevation of the lake near here!". Especially in a game where you can drop your loot when you die, and buildings beyond a ramshackle wooden shack actually take a fairly dedicated amount of effort to create. You might also think that people aren't idiots too. You'd be wrong.

You see there's a commonly held belief among pubbies that the safest place to set up shop is below ground. This is because zombies will relentlessly siege and attempt to rip through walls and blocks to get to you if they find your location and it's dark out. So the zombies have to slowly tunnel downwards and eventually hit bedrock and come to a near complete halt due to how thick and strong it is. So, despite the fact that there's much more time efficient and resource efficient ways of setting up a secure base, lots of people like pretending they're dwarves.

Now on a 64 player server you're bound to find a few assholes. The usual bandits that want your loot, or just some hooligan who wants to blow up the little civilization all the people playing the game like it's a co-op experience have created aren't that uncommon. In fact, the game accounts for this as a gameplay mechanic by having the respawn system work through safehouses. You have to have a certain item placed to respawn at an area, otherwise you spawn at the edge of the map and have to work your way in. As a result, in a game like this blowing up someone's house is kind of like inscribing a penis into someone's backyard in Minecraft.

Some people turn the experience into a legitimate art form with the sheer havoc they create, though. This is one of those stories.

So someone got the idea to build a little Bayou-esque shack in the middle of the lake. Not a bad idea by itself. But then they figured they'd get crafty (Zombies can't get out of the water and into the house, due to how it's elevated slightly above it.) and created a tunnel down into the earth from the shack so that they'd have a secure way to get all the ores that let people make iron en-mass, get the resources for ammo so they don't have to scavenge, etc, etc.

Well, more and more people liked the idea on the server I was playing on. Time went on, and the place started to resemble a more civilized version of the Underdark. Vast caverns were mined out, structural supports were installed to keep the thing from collapsing in a tide of water and rock, burying everyone alive, houses were set up, vaults full of loot were established, lighting was installed so any undesirables couldn't sneak up on anyone. It was basically an underground city. Everyone in this clique thought their mining operation was utterly secure given all the planning they did to keep the thing from collapsing on them.

Cue a player coming along. We'll call him "Rob the Bandit". Rob was apparently a dickhead, but a hilariously clever one. He had somehow gotten his hands on a rocket launcher and a poo poo-ton of high explosives. Both of these are very rare, and the rocket launcher in particular is so rare that most players would never use it for fear of never finding more ammo for it. Especially on a large server like that. Not Rob. Rob was a dick. Rob was an entrepreneur of jackassery. He proceeded to assault every safehouse in range of the Spillway Mine and destroyed them using the explosives, blowing huge holes in them that would let zombies in and shutting down all the respawns on the surface save for the entrance to Spillway Mine.

At this point he ventured to the original safehouse and started looting it. I know this because he noticed the same thing I did, that everyone online near there was underground near a newly placed respawn point (They had ridiculous amounts of loot.) deep in the mine. As such I was looting their above ground storage chests before anyone noticed I was there, since some of them had a bad habit of shooting at people they didn't like. He sees me, realizes after a few bullets are exchanged that i'm not with the mining clique, and tells me to stop. He then picks up the last bed on the surface, whips out the loving rocket launcher, and says "Watch this.", before firing a rocket straight down the original shaft.

Turns out they only had a few dirt walls lining it. Because the rocket went off at the bottom and blew the dirt keeping the water out. Cue a tidal wave of water slowly flowing down to fill the place up. Cue screams of horror starting to occur as everyone realized shortly afterwards that the place was rapidly flooding with the equivalent of the game's primary source of water for players. Then somehow, in the chaos, someone must have also knocked a support for the caverns out. Because a huge chunk of the lake suddenly sunk into itself as players buried themselves alive, trapping themselves inside. Everything must have gone dark down there too, since people started bitching about not being able to see. I guess the water extinguished the torches.

Then they realized that all of the respawns were gone. People started scrambling to get all of their loot out of the tunnels before they were killed and all of it was lost forever. Or until someone could spend an entire day dredging the place out.

Did I mention that they had moved a huge portion of their storage down there to get away from the zombies, and that if you die everything in your toolbar is dropped and can despawn shortly afterwards? And that the server was set up so that scavenged loot taken from searching objects does not respawn in the object later on? This meant that these people basically lived like kings while everyone else scrounged for basic materials up until this very moment.

The "Civilized Underdark" became something out of an undersea horror movie. People tried to claw their way out with their fists, others with pickaxes frantically tried to hack a path to the surface. Others were stuck inside closed off caverns with no way to see due to the darkness, randomly running at then punching a wall in the hopes that they were going up instead of down or sideways.

A few people realized how hosed the situation was and tried to suicide and respawn at the surface, only to find that they had to treck back from the edge of the map in the middle of the pitch black night while being hounded by hyper-aggressive zombies. More casualties mounted as a result of people hurrying to get back, more loot was lost, more tears were shed.

About an hour later, someone logged on and posted this.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the lake afterwards. It looked like a swamp. There's probably a fortune in loot buried down there now. At least the house fits a lot better now. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 26, 2013

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Krinkle posted:

MOBA style games require five people and very often you only have 3 friends plus yourself so there's always one random pub, or public player, to fill in the gap. He drove off that random player by everyone else being weird over the voice communication that allows a team to coordinate their strategy.

I guess I didn't realize I was supposed to read each user's post history to guess which game they're talking about, when they share a story without mentioning this fact.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahaha that's amazing. I wish that game didn't cost 35 bucks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Action Tortoise posted:

Speaking of stupid Modern Warfare poo poo, remember when people used to boost to get nukes? This has probably already been posted in the thread but I haven't seen it in the last few pages.

For the fortunate who have never touched the games, one of Call of Duty's multiplayer gimmicks since Modern Warfare was to reward good players with killstreak rewards. If you could go on a killing spree without dying you could get certain benefits like calling up UAV drones to do radar sweeps and find hidden players, select an area on the map for airstrikes, and summon air to surface vehicles to attack players for you and beef up your k/d.

Modern Warfare 2 added more rewards, and the highest was to summon a nuclear strike. In order to do so you had to get to 25 kills without dying! Sounds like a pain to pull off, right?

Well, one of the items MW2 added that took up a special grenade slot - usually reserved for flashbangs and smokes - was the Tactical Insertion. It was a flare that you could drop at any point in the map so that when you respawned you would always return to that spot instead of randomly popping up near an ally.

So to cheese the nuke strike you needed two people who would be on opposite teams. They'd find an out of the way spot and the one of the guys would drop a Tac Insert nearby. The other would kill him as he repeatedly respawned via the Insert. Eventually he'd get to 25 kills and call up a nuke to win the game.

You could totally tell who was boosting by looking at the k/d's and seeing who had top and bottom frags for the match. Some people took to hunting these boosters down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZXqFgUI828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuB3tqMrpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFSIZihpDk

There was actually a really simple way to get a nuke that people really didn't catch onto. All you needed was one man army, a grenade launcher and three killstreaks. These were a harrier jet, chopper gunner and then the nuke. To do it, all you had to do was fire off your grenades and use one man army to resupply until you got seven kills. From then on all you had to do was find a safe spot and call in the harrier. The harrier would get four kills, which would get you the chopper gunner. The chopper gunner and the harrier jet combined would almost always net you the last fourteen kills, which would let you nuke the game.

I really wish I had recorded some of the matches I did with that. The hate mail was amazing :allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

-Troika- posted:

Ahaha that's amazing. I wish that game didn't cost 35 bucks.

It's on sale for christmas actually. It's like $29. I was so impressed with that stunt I just made a thread about it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

No one's posted in it yet however. Shame too given how much fun it can be. For an alpha I guess that's a bit pricey for most people.

It's literally the only playable game in the genre that you could sit down and play and say is feature complete though. It does poo poo DayZ wishes it could do, and the crazy thing is that it's still in early alpha. The fact that this is the alpha of the game makes me wonder what sort of batshit insanity the full version will have. :psyduck:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 26, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Archonex posted:

Buried Alive 1000 Leagues Under The Sea Lake
No Gods. No Kings.
Only man.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What's the point of doing that to win the games?

Wouldn't his friend be losing the game too?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
It's a boost. The idea of a boost is that you give someone the advantage to no immediate personal gain.

e: Also, holy poo poo that 7 Days to Die carnage story is exactly why this thread has lived for so long. I was piqued by the page on Steam but didn't expect it would actually be feature-rich. :woop:

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 26, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

I wish I had gotten a picture of the lake afterwards. It looked like a swamp. There's probably a fortune in loot buried down there now. At least the house fits a lot better now. :v:

You need to go take a screenshot of that lake and the ruined structures.

Right now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Archonex posted:

Underground city is flooded, everyone dies screaming in horror, leaving nothing but an empty ruin.

:stare: God, if that wasn't a game, that would be one of the most horrifying things ever. As it is though, it's a beautiful story of people digging too deep and getting too complacent and being destroyed by their own hubris. Nice. :thumbsup:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Archonex posted:

One for the ages.

This story will, I think, be remembered as one of the highlights of griefing.

I can't wait to hear more from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The best thing about the 7 Days to Die story is that it probably created a pretty unique gameplay experience for everyone trapped in Moria. They just didn't really appreciate it at the time.

• Locked thread