Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hed posted:

Oh weird. I was just thinking LED with a decent diffuser for simplicity and durability but I'm really open..are there any standouts or is this pretty much a go and buy whatever is at big box store?

I used to have an LED lamp set up where I was soldering, and I finally got rid of it. Something about the light just makes it difficult to do fine work and I find it throws off my depth perception slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The cheapest reflector and bulb with a clamp on it, then clamp it to stuff + some halogen lamps. Lots of light for working at night.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blistex posted:

Sliding? Pffft! This is the 21st century! Everyone knows the future is "Gliding"!

They make a sliding miter saw you can place on a workbench against the wall now? Awesome.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kid sinister posted:

They make a sliding miter saw you can place on a workbench against the wall now? Awesome.

Apparently it's such a good saw that Dewalt even took the time to make a nice comparison review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCMquiX6wo

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
If we were to assume that money was of no object (it never isn't but let's go ahead and start there), what is the best hand drill (corded or cordless) in people's opinions? It's mostly for woodworking, so if that affects any opinions. I've been using a cordless ryobi 18v cordless (which has been reasonable but the batteries are dying) and an old 70/80s craftsman plug in that is slowly dying. Christmas time says it's time to get something nice.

Currently looking at the Makita LXT218 combo: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXT218-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B001EYUQPK Which has a very highly rated drill according to Consumer Reports.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 26, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I got this thing for Christmas. It's a tiny belt sander for sharpening knives and things. Has angle guides for all the popular knife/scissors bevels, or you can take the guide off to hone your axe/shovel/lawnmover.

Opinions? Looks interesting. Of course I'll test it on the $20 Swiss Army knives before putting the Benchmade to it. Even if it's too much for the fine cutlery, it'll be better for the axe/shovel/mower than the bastard file and angle grinder.

It came with coarse, medium, and fine belts, and I can't stop laughing at it -- "coarse" is 80-grit, "medium" is 220, and "fine" is six goddamn thousand. Bit of a gap there -- you've got "carving a knife from an ingot," "smoothing out the lumps left by the 80-grit," and "razor strop."

I'd prefer 1000 or so for "fine" on pretty much everything except my straight razor, and I sharpen that on a hank of old blue jeans.

In other news, my little brother has become a bit of an axe connoisseur. He fixed up Granddad's old 3-pound axe, and bought a new fancy US-made-for-umpteen-generations 2-pounder pack axe. The fancy one's handle is a bit shorter than he'd like, but he figures he'll break it eventually and then re-handle it to his liking.

I reclaimed my good ol' Harbor Freight 4-pound felling axe today, since he has enough axes. We dared each other to take stewardship of Other Grandpa's double-bit axe. I readily gave it up, saying "that thing scares me;" he insulted my masculinity but didn't seem too hot on using it either.

So now we each have two axes; he has the heirloom little axe and the hatchet writ large; I have a six-pound fire axe (it was $20 and I had dreams of a TF2 Pyro costume) and a 4-pound felling axe. Amusingly, we both own beefy chainsaws -- his a 24" Husky, mine the 18" Poulan Pro he gave up on -- but axes are fun and the saws aren't so good at splitting wood for the backyard firepit.

The fancy axe is awesome. You got your standard axe with a bevel and an edge, right? The fancy axe is shaped more like a straight razor, a single hollow-ground surface from eye to edge. He's been obsessing over sharpening Grandpa's axe for weeks, and still can't get it to stick in the endgrain of the log he uses as a base for splitting firewood; the fancy axe stands on its own after being dropped from six inches under its own weight.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anubis posted:

If we were to assume that money was of no object (it never isn't but let's go ahead and start there), what is the best hand drill (corded or cordless) in people's opinions? It's mostly for woodworking, so if that affects any opinions. I've been using a cordless ryobi 18v cordless (which has been reasonable but the batteries are dying) and an old 70/80s craftsman plug in that is slowly dying. Christmas time says it's time to get something nice.

Currently looking at the Makita LXT218 combo: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXT218-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B001EYUQPK Which has a very highly rated drill according to Consumer Reports.

Milwaukee is almost certainly the leader in battery tools at the moment, closely followed by Dewalt. Everything else is a mild step down, but truly in this day and age you can't go terribly wrong with any known good brand.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Anubis posted:

We've got a couple of those combos here at work and they get beat on pretty regularly with no complaints.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Anubis posted:

M12 Fuel. Smaller and lighter than 18v. Almost as much power and battery life. And it has a 1/2" chuck so you're not giving up larger bits.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I'm also here to show off my new goodies.

Starrett double square.

DMT diamond stone set.

And the crown jewel... veritas quick release front vise. Unfortunately it's shipped ground from Canada so god knows when it will get here.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Delivery McGee posted:

I got this thing for Christmas. It's a tiny belt sander for sharpening knives and things. Has angle guides for all the popular knife/scissors bevels, or you can take the guide off to hone your axe/shovel/lawnmover.
I have run out of things to sharpen. The $5 Chinese butcher knife that resisted every effort I made with stones and rods and even the lovely pull-through sharpeners is now sharp enough to shave with. As are the axes and chisels and shovel and every knife I own. And every small tool has been polished -- take the guide off, and it's a belt sander at Dremel scale.

I'm seriously considering using this thing with the 6k grit belt to touch up my actual razor -- it's an antique and has a little ding in the edge that the strop won't quite buff out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Delivery McGee posted:

I have run out of things to sharpen. The $5 Chinese butcher knife that resisted every effort I made with stones and rods and even the lovely pull-through sharpeners is now sharp enough to shave with. As are the axes and chisels and shovel and every knife I own.

Good to know. I looked at one of these awhile back but something persuaded me not to buy it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hypnolobster posted:

Milwaukee is almost certainly the leader in battery tools at the moment, closely followed by Dewalt. Everything else is a mild step down, but truly in this day and age you can't go terribly wrong with any known good brand.

Says who? I'd rate Makita and Milwaukee as tied for the top, with Dewalt a big step down, along with rigid. Makita and Milwaukee have amazing selections, wide availability, and great products. Makita is introducing more and more brush-less tools. I'll take my lxt 18v set offer anything other than Milwaukee 18v.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

asdf32 posted:

M12 Fuel. Smaller and lighter than 18v. Almost as much power and battery life. And it has a 1/2" chuck so you're not giving up larger bits.

I switched over all my Ryobi stuff to the Milwaukee M12 line over the last few months. Really liking this stuff and with the only exception being the ryobi cordless circular saw I have not had any need for more power or missed any of my ryobi stuff. Would love for them to come out with a M12 small circular saw. When the ryobi batteries that I have finally fail I'll probably get a M18 one.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Tindjin posted:

I switched over all my Ryobi stuff to the Milwaukee M12 line over the last few months. Really liking this stuff and with the only exception being the ryobi cordless circular saw I have not had any need for more power or missed any of my ryobi stuff. Would love for them to come out with a M12 small circular saw. When the ryobi batteries that I have finally fail I'll probably get a M18 one.

If I had one cordless line it would be m12 but ryobi is worth keeping. They have a lot of unique tools and they're a great value. I've got their cordless router, fan, inflator, weedwacker and hedge trimmer. None of those were more than $50 tool only.

I also couldn't resist their Christmas sawzall/drill/2xbattery/charger combo for $80. I split it between 3 people (including myself) for Christmas. I kept a battery, gave my uncle the full sawzall kit and added the drill to a hedge trimmer kit for my mother.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Says who? I'd rate Makita and Milwaukee as tied for the top, with Dewalt a big step down, along with rigid. Makita and Milwaukee have amazing selections, wide availability, and great products. Makita is introducing more and more brush-less tools. I'll take my lxt 18v set offer anything other than Milwaukee 18v.

I also have had zero problems with any of my Makita products. Great tools in every possible way and they absolutely feel better-built than anything except the Milwaukees. I wouldn't trade them for DeWalt or Ridgid or Bosch or whatever.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sounds like the current market is basically Cola Wars and specific oddball tools are the selling points. And color. :v:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Was building a deck this summer with a contractor. He had two dewalt cordless drills, 8 batteries, and 6 battery chargers. Most of what we were doing was driving 3" deck screws into 2" of cedar, fastening it to PT lumber. We started the day with all of the batteries having a full charge, (oldest battery was 1 year old), by lunch (started at 7am) we had reached the point where we had ran out of juice, and the batteries were only holding 2 minutes of work between swaps.

Drills and Batteries we were using:

Personally I'd spend 25-50% more to have Makita or Milwaukee cordless.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I also have had zero problems with any of my Makita products. Great tools in every possible way and they absolutely feel better-built than anything except the Milwaukees. I wouldn't trade them for DeWalt or Ridgid or Bosch or whatever.

Interesting. I tend to prefer the look and feel of Dewalt but I think their cordless lineup is just way too small right now. Otherwise it seems like they're all basically identical to me although performance and features are what they are.

Speaking of tools I've got a few gift cards that need spending. I'm thinking about a belt sander to add to the orbital I already have. I was reminded while building bookshelves recently how much drat time sanding takes.

Anyway, I'm sort of surprised at the costs here. I'm not spending $200 and that's what a Maikita costs. Looking at a $99 ridgid at home depot, $50 Ryobi, or $75 craftsman. I haven't bought craftsman anything for years but I like their price point (between like Ryobi and the "real" brands). Any pointers on belt sanders in general?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3-in-x-18-in-Portable-Belt-Sander-BE318-2/100047418
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3-x-21-in-belt-sander-8/p-00911726000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-in-x-18-in-Belt-Sander-R2740/100618248

Blistex posted:

Was building a deck this summer with a contractor. He had two dewalt cordless drills, 8 batteries, and 6 battery chargers. Most of what we were doing was driving 3" deck screws into 2" of cedar, fastening it to PT lumber. We started the day with all of the batteries having a full charge, (oldest battery was 1 year old), by lunch (started at 7am) we had reached the point where we had ran out of juice, and the batteries were only holding 2 minutes of work between swaps.

The problem for Dewalt is that they're still clinging to NiMh and they're way behind on lithium with the confusing split between 20V and 18V. They also have basically nothing in 12V.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

asdf32 posted:

I did exactly this and haven't looked back. Drill and impact get used everyday. I can hook the both of them to my work pants and not feel the weight much. Just got the Hackzall also and its handy. Milwaukee warranty is also top notch, 5 years on most tools

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Blistex posted:

I dunno, it would be nice to use a cordless all the time everywhere, but in that particular scenario I wouldn't expect any cordless drill to be more convenient in the long run than an extension cord and a drill motor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

King of Gulps posted:

I dunno, it would be nice to use a cordless all the time everywhere, but in that particular scenario I wouldn't expect any cordless drill to be more convenient in the long run than an extension cord and a drill motor.

I would have traded my right arm for a few extension cords and a real drill. The PT lumber that we were putting the cedar into is really taxing on drills, but only 1" was actually going into them, so I walked away from that experience with a really bad impression of dewalt cordless tech.

What asdf32 said explains a lot.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I used to have that model of dewalt, and upgraded to the LiIon line a few years ago. The difference is like night and day.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
The investment in an impact driver is worth it if you drive a lot of screws. Seems to make a big difference...I have a corded one, but the battery stats I have seen comparing drivers/drills of the same brand have been pretty impressive. If you only have one tool, have a drill, but any pro should or somewhat serious DIYer should have an impact driver

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also, were you predrilling holes, or using self-tapping screws? Spending an entire day driving self-tapping screws through 3" of wood is going to be hard on any drill...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

sharkytm posted:

I love all my LXT Makita stuff, and I have great incentive to do so because a family friend works for their North American operation and I get to play with all number of new and unreleased stuff but the LXT batteries have a terrible bug that kill the batteries if they aren't used/charged routinely. Check the reviews of the batteries on Amazon for more info but its a serious issue that prevents them from charging if they are fully discharged three times. If I couldn't bypass the normal return policy by basically saying "hey grab me a new battery" I simply couldn't recommend them. I've killed three in 3 years of using them. Great tools, but until this battery thing is resolved, well...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
These were 3" deck screws (green PT specific ones) going through 2" of cedar and sinking 1" into 2x8" PT boards. I didn't buy the equipment, but it's a good lesson on the difference between a regular drill and an impact driver (no I didn't turn on the hammer drill mode).

Personally, I find a nice corded drill to be all I need as I don't often find myself working more than 4' (standard cord) or 20' (extension cord) from an outlet. Some people say the cords are a hassle, but I've yet to hang myself with one or knock down a massive replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa made of Jenga blocks. Just personal preferences.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd still say that the biggest problem you ran into is NiMH battery chemistry. Compared to lipos they are absolute dogshit. I raced power tools RC cars back before lipo was a thing and NiMH was a definite improvement over the NiCd garbage, but ultimately still had most of the same problems; hot packs would have horrible performance, so the only realistic way to get a full charge out of a pack was to start with it pre-charged and have a new pack for each full charge you want to use. It would take you forever to get a full charge into a hot pack, and trying to do so was a good way to kill your batteries too.

Lithium packs, on the other hand, can be recharged much, much faster without overheating or damage, and will deliver more usable power over the charge cycle. A NiMH pack at 25% charge is going to be quite noticeably weaker than one at 75% or 100%. A lithium pack will feel just about the same from 90% to 5-10%.

That said, I'd expect even high-capacity lithium packs to have trouble keeping up on a workload like that.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Blistex posted:

These were 3" deck screws (green PT specific ones) going through 2" of cedar and sinking 1" into 2x8" PT boards. I didn't buy the equipment, but it's a good lesson on the difference between a regular drill and an impact driver (no I didn't turn on the hammer drill mode).

Personally, I find a nice corded drill to be all I need as I don't often find myself working more than 4' (standard cord) or 20' (extension cord) from an outlet. Some people say the cords are a hassle, but I've yet to hang myself with one or knock down a massive replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa made of Jenga blocks. Just personal preferences.

Yep. Thinking the same thing. If you are doing THAT much screwing, might as well bring a corded as well just in case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

I love all my LXT Makita stuff but the LXT batteries have a terrible bug that kill the batteries if they aren't used/charged routinely.

I would like more info on this that isn't just insane rambling Amazon reviews, if you're willing to provide it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

I would like more info on this that isn't just insane rambling Amazon reviews, if you're willing to provide it.

the insane rambling sounded insane but was widespread enough to keep me away from a Mikita cordless circ saw

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Not sure if they are widely available over in the States but I am loving my new 18v hitachi brushless gear.

Made in Japan and the impact driver is IP56 rated. No complaints here so far!

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Anubis posted:

We have that drill at London Hackspace, it is the only tool that can be reliably counted on to work after being treated horribly by a load of ametures and art students, the thing is nigh on indestructible. Highly Recommend it.

The batteries are also really drat good and last forever.

Yeti Fiasco fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 29, 2013

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

Essentially, the control/monitoring circuitry for the batteries draws its power from only one cell in these multi-cell batteries. If left alone for enough time, we're talking like ~3 months, the circuitry can discharge that cell to the point where the control circuitry shuts down. The circuit records this as a dangerous discharge to non volatile memory. When you then try and recharge the battery, it will be okay--for 2 more occurrences of this. Do it three times and the battery will not accept a charge when put on the charger, presumably because it thinks its preventing what it thinks is an obviously damaged battery from exploding and netting Makita a nice lawsuit.

Its just so frustrating because every physical tool they engineer is top notch and has no achilles heel such as this. I've remedied the problem by only having two batteries, one of the larger 3.0Ahs that stays in my impact gun and the smaller, stock battery that I keep for when the 3.0 is dead or I need two tools. I haven't killed one recently and its not like I have to partake in any special ritual to keep them from dying. It is, however, an impediment to my recommending them when the batteries for Makita gear are the main sunk cost versus the tools themselves.

tl;dr: Don't buy Makita LXT gear if you're not using them once a week and or charging once a month.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I know about that issue, but I only use my tools maybe once a month or so, but I've never had a problem. Both original batteries are from 2009, and still work great. I keep one on the charger at all times, and the other gets swapped onto the charger when I remember. I've actually got two chargers, and just bought a third battery, do I don't think I'll have any problems.
I've got the: drill, impact, sawzall, circ saw, grinder, vacuum, and flashlight.

If you are only using them once every three months, why buy anything decent?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sharkytm posted:

If you are only using them once every three months, why buy anything decent?

Why buy lovely tools if you have the choice? Proper tools let you do better work with a lot less headache, and they last a lot longer too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The most expensive tool you can purchase is the one you have to buy twice!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Blistex posted:

The most expensive tool you can purchase is the one you have to buy twice!

I don't know man have you ever looked at those festool things?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you can buy a cheaper tool like 4 or 5 times for cheaper than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm on the fence about Festool. On one hand, they rank the same as Powermatic- you buy once and you're set until you outgrow it. The quality is amazing, the dust collection can't be beat, and I have yet to see a truly negative review. On the other hand, a full set cost more then a new car, and once you drink the juice- you are screwed. I almost bought a TS55REQ- but ended up saying screw it and bought the $300 cheaper Makita. I do plan on buying their sander/vac combo if it drops below $500. Dust is a killer and most comes from DA sanding.