Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Starhawk64 posted:

Just got an iPad Air, holy crap this thing is amazing. It's like one of those things from Star Trek TNG. Can anyone recommend some good apps for it? I like games such as Doom and Carmageddon, which are awesome on iOS.

Off the top of my head, games in general: Plants vs Zombies 2, Dead Man's Draw, the first episode of The Walking Dead, and Solforge are free to play, Catan is apparently a very good port of the board game, Lords of Waterdeep is also apparently very good (these last two I can't really say because I only bought them and installed them and haven't learned to play them but they look high quality). Infinity Blade is a must, of course. Organ Trail was funny, Elder Signs is decent fun, Device 6 just came out and is apparently very hipstery fun.

Then there's more videogamey games like Real Racing (free still?), Deus Ex, Rage, Xcom, KOTOR, and Baldur's Gate. If you like old adventure games, Monkey Island remakes are there, along with classics like Broken Sword.

Also get Reeder, Instapaper or Pocket, iBooks, the Awful app, and AppsGoneFree for random free apps daily. Appstart is a decent app if this is your first ipad too, has a bunch of great recommendations for "I need an app for X".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Just got an iPad Air, holy crap this thing is amazing. It's like one of those things from Star Trek TNG. Can anyone recommend some good apps for it? I like games such as Doom and Carmageddon, which are awesome on iOS.

Games thread

Apps thread

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have a Verizon LTE ipad 4. I was doing the prepaid data but I just canceled it because now I'm on a share data Att iphone plan which allows me to tether.

Can I switch the ipad to att? It may be worth it to me if it's only $10 a month to throw it on the share plan.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Haggins posted:

I have a Verizon LTE ipad 4. I was doing the prepaid data but I just canceled it because now I'm on a share data Att iphone plan which allows me to tether.

Can I switch the ipad to att? It may be worth it to me if it's only $10 a month to throw it on the share plan.
Yeah I think you should be able to get an AT&T sim for it. At least that's true of the Air I assume same is true for the older versions, but radios maybe different?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Verizon iPad 4 will not work on AT&T LTE. It will work on 3G, though, which should be plenty fast for basic web browsing and such. They didn't unify the wireless stuff until the iPad Air and retina iPad Mini.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP662

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Endless Mike posted:

A Verizon iPad 4 will not work on AT&T LTE. It will work on 3G, though, which should be plenty fast for basic web browsing and such. They didn't unify the wireless stuff until the iPad Air and retina iPad Mini.

You sure? My Verizon iPad 3 works with AT&T LTE and 4G just fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Arrowsmith posted:

You sure? My Verizon iPad 3 works with AT&T LTE and 4G just fine.

Does it say LTE in the status bar, or 4G?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

kitten smoothie posted:

Does it say LTE in the status bar, or 4G?

When I was in a bigger city I swear it said LTE, but where I live now it says 4G (it's a smallish town and we will probably never get LTE).

I could be remembering wrong though. Either way, I know it isn't limited to 3G (unless "4G" just means 3G, for some reason).

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Arrowsmith posted:

I could be remembering wrong though. Either way, I know it isn't limited to 3G (unless "4G" just means 3G, for some reason).

lol, well I've got some news for you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That reason is marketing.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jesus christ, the battery life on the Air is incredible, blows my mini retina out of the water (barely makes 9). If only the iPhone was like this. :(

I can basically draw with my pencil ALL DAY.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 27, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

That works for me, I'll be fine with 3G. I probably upgrade next year anyway when my AppleCare+ runs out. It's kinda silly to upgrade every year but other year seems to make a big difference.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

unlawfulsoup posted:

Jesus christ, the battery life on the Air is incredible, blows my mini retina out of the water (barely makes 9). If only the iPhone was like this. :(

I can basically draw with my pencil ALL DAY.

I was playing some games for an hour on mine and the battery never went below 90%, I am shocked.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

And yet, somehow youtube loving kills the battery, it feels as if it uses more battery than regular video, but I might just be biased... I'm blaming Google on that one though. :dealwithit:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Don Tacorleone posted:

And yet, somehow youtube loving kills the battery, it feels as if it uses more battery than regular video, but I might just be biased... I'm blaming Google on that one though. :dealwithit:

Well, yes. Streaming data through wifi constantly would end up using more battery than video stored on the device.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The extent to which XCOM does not viciously murder the battery of my Air astounds me. It's wonderful. loving beautiful.

zegadeth
May 14, 2006
Double life!!
Got an ipad mini with retina for christmas.Ive heard people say the old ipad mini cases dont fit the new one?

Anyone confirm/deny this?

Also can anyone recomend a good ipad mini retina case that isnt apples one?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The retina is a fraction of a mm thicker. I've tried 3 cases designed for the older mini and they all fit fine, though they were all leather folio-style cases, so I guess they may be more forgiving than something made of hard plastic.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Digital Jesus posted:

The retina is a fraction of a mm thicker. I've tried 3 cases designed for the older mini and they all fit fine, though they were all leather folio-style cases, so I guess they may be more forgiving than something made of hard plastic.

There's also a new microphone on the back which cases for the old mini will block. Whether you care about that depends on you.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

zegadeth posted:

Got an ipad mini with retina for christmas.Ive heard people say the old ipad mini cases dont fit the new one?

I got a Fintie case for my wife's new Retina Mini off Amazon and it's really nice, solid and fits perfectly.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Are there any deals going on for the iPad Air? I missed the Target deal where they give you a gift card with purchase. Even a reputable retailer that doesn't charge tax would be worth it. I've been checking the refurb store, but I don't think the Airs have shown up in there yet.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

zegadeth posted:

It's true. If you have the life proof case or any other case like that they won't fit correctly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SnatchRabbit posted:

Are there any deals going on for the iPad Air? I missed the Target deal where they give you a gift card with purchase. Even a reputable retailer that doesn't charge tax would be worth it. I've been checking the refurb store, but I don't think the Airs have shown up in there yet.

MacMall and B&H both have small discounts and there's a good chance at least one of then doesn't collect tax in your state. You'll have to phone order, I think.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Both are great vendors. B&H is the best camera store on the internet (and probably B&M) and I've spent $1000s on gear with them. As for MacMall I bought my BTO 27in iMac from them to save on tax when I wasn't getting my corporate discount from Apple.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Thanks, guys. Gonna go with B&H for $479 flat which is a really sweet deal.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just picked up an iPad mini retina. This thing is loving sick. I don't even think I'll use my 4th gen iPad anymore. Especially not for travel. The only thing that worries me is that this feels incredibly easy to drop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It was a good decision on Apple's part to essentially put the same guts in the new Mini and Air. I personally prefer the Air, but you really don't miss anything if you go with the Mini.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Curious, anyone have a recommendation for an ipad clip to have it attached next to a PC monitor? Lots of games are doing a "second screen" thing and it would be kind of nifty.

Hover bar is one, along with assorted knockoffs. Just wondering if there are any recs.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone ever use a Snugg case for the Ipad mini retina? Not too expensive and the strap for your hand to hold it sounds pretty handy. Wondering about the build quality and such.

http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-Leather-Retina-Lifetime-Guarantee/dp/B0092PZZLS

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

nerox posted:

Anyone ever use a Snugg case for the Ipad mini retina? Not too expensive and the strap for your hand to hold it sounds pretty handy. Wondering about the build quality and such.

I have a Snugg for my iPad Air, and it's the best case I've ever used. If the Mini version is anything like it's bigger brother, you'll be delighted.

That strap is extremely convenient if you expect to use your iPad while walking around. What really makes the Snugg for me, though, is that it's light and aesthetically pleasing while still having decent protection and a solid stand mode.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Is anybody having crashing problems with the new mini? I've had mine for around two weeks now and it's randomly rebooting/having apps crash more often than I would expect from the newest and greatest. Is something defective or is this just iOS 7 in action?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Logikv9 posted:

Is anybody having crashing problems with the new mini? I've had mine for around two weeks now and it's randomly rebooting/having apps crash more often than I would expect from the newest and greatest. Is something defective or is this just iOS 7 in action?

The Air is doing the same thing. We're waiting for 7.1

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Yep, same problem here. Not something I'm used to from Apple hardware. It's a minor inconvenience, most of the time.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I'm having a weird screen orientation issue on my rMini where sometimes the orientation will lock despite me actually physical moving the iPad around and even though the lock is not on. Only way to make it go away is to reboot. Lame.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

nerox posted:

I picked-up this silicone one and find the quality is good, but they did not make a cutout for the rear mic.

http://www.thesnugg.com/ipad-cases/ipad-mini-retina-cases/snugg-ipad-mini-retina-squared-skinny-fit-protective-cover-in-black.aspx

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I ordered a Snugg for my Air based on chat here and elsewhere. I like it without a case but it would be nice to have something I can chuck in a bag. I was thinking a sleeve but this case looks really nice. Went with the "distressed leather"

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
Just a quick random thought prompted by an impulse buy yesterday: Get a Bluetooth keyboard for your iPad. Doesn't have to be a keyboard case, but it makes the whole experience 1,000% better, even if you only use it rarely. My laptop is probably going to start collecting dust.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Counterpoint: I've gotten surprisingly good at touch-typing on a full-sized iPad if you lay it flat.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: I've gotten surprisingly good at touch-typing on a full-sized iPad if you lay it flat.

Touchscreen typing is fine and all, but not having to worry about autocorrect hilarity is invaluable if you do any amount of typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Does the iPad disable autocorrect when using a Bluetooth keyboard? Cause that would be neat.

I'm curious as to how the Snugg cases fit on the Air, since the reviews from amazon (which covers all generations) make it sound like the Leather is kinda high on the face of the iPad, and can make hitting certain areas difficult.

I thought about getting just a smart case/cover, or atleast the Fintie version, but I want something on the sturdy side, but preferably not paying like $90 on an otter box.