Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Why II saw my psych and his explanation for my lethargy is this: because I'm not as anxious, my body is relaxing. His advice was to keep myself occupied to avoid sleeping during the middle of the day. Another side effect that I forgot to tell him about was that I find myself emotionally suppressed. I'm no longer paranoid which is a good thing but at the same time I feel isolated, withdrawn, and emotionless. I'm gonna talk to my psych about changing my meds.

In the meanwhile, I have another interview Thursday. I'm not going to apply for disability as long as I'm getting interviews I'm going to keep applying for jobs.

By the way, last week's interview didn't go as well as I'd hoped because I didn't get a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
You should get a little notebook or journal and write down how you feel daily, as well as questions you might think of to ask your therapist. Take it with you to your appointments, so you never forget things you wanted to ask.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

In the meanwhile, I have another interview Thursday. I'm not going to apply for disability as long as I'm getting interviews I'm going to keep applying for jobs.

Good for you, dude. The hoops you would have to jump through for disability would probably be more difficult than getting a job anyway.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

You should get a little notebook or journal and write down how you feel daily, as well as questions you might think of to ask your therapist. Take it with you to your appointments, so you never forget things you wanted to ask.

Have to say this is some seriously good advice here, Benny. Absolutely do this, because it'll make things much easier and quicker for you in the long run.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

There are also some phone apps you can use for this sort of thing. I use webmd pain couch for my pain stuff, something like that could be handy for this as well.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Therapists also have sheets they give out specifically for that purpose. Although an app would be better, once you know what information they want.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
There's an app and program called Optimism that's free and you can customize it to track whatever you want. You have a whole bunch of things that you can check or rate from 1-10, or you can put a number in for things like hours of sleep, and then later you can compare a couple of things to see if there's a relationship between something like not getting enough sleep and feeling like poo poo for a couple of days afterwards. It also has a journal type thing and a place to type in your goals for your life, your goals for therapy, your treatment plan, all of that stuff. Plus it's really easy to print out or email a pdf of to your psych/therapist before your appointments so that they get a good overview of what's been going on with you and you don't worry about forgetting to bring anything up.

It really is an incredibly good program for tracking your moods and mental health and anybody who wants to see how behaviors/habits/moods are related should check it out.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

By the way, last week's interview didn't go as well as I'd hoped because I didn't get a job.

Coming to the party late, but I have/had anxiety and I wanted to point something out. Odd choice of words, the interview could have gone great and you could still not have a job. So don't beat yourself up about it. Learn from your mistakes and understand that sometimes even when you do your best, you might not get what you want. Think of every failed interview as an opportunity to get better at the process.

Good luck! It's refreshing to see someone actually listen. Read your OP made me a bit angry but then seeing your edit = proud of you.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
OP at this point, have you considered just doing live-cam shows? Like exposing yourself sexually on cam for strangers to masturbate to? How well-endowed are you? Do you have a bubble butt?

Tactical Hobo
Jul 31, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I would pay good money to see your juicy, round rear end jiggling it for me on webcam so yeah I agree with gently caress da Mods. There is a market out there for you Benny and quite frankly, I'm ready to throw money at you.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
His mom already found him jerking it to a computer, let's not give the lady anymore horrible things to walk into.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

I want to see you reenact this thread and all your tribulations naked, twerking for the camera.

Tactical Hobo
Jul 31, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I just wanna see his rear end.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Fabulist posted:

I'm not encouraging him to give up, and I definitely don't mean 'stay on disability for the rest of your life, Benny.'

Isn't getting off disability almost as hard as getting on? Stigma, lack of job history, affordability/availability of insurance, no government programs that help people get back to work...apparently disability has turned into a sort of long term unemployment alternative because the economy is so depressed and the job market is so terrible.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Update?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Taking meds, sleeping all day, 10 months later still at square one.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Benny, what is Santa bringing you for Xmas?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
It's been a while, Benny. Hope you've landed some.sort of employment, but if not, that things are at least still rolling in the right direction.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Please give is a Christmas miracle

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Someone who gives a gently caress should see where and what Benny has been posting,

And, Benny, if you're listening, seen any sweet flicks?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I have an interview Friday. And I figured out something. See, I've been applying for office work for months by sending out cover letters and resumes to companies but never really getting anywhere save for a couple of interviews. If I'm going to get an office job, I need a car. So I'm going to get a job, save up some money, get a car, and then search for work towards my degree outside of my immediate area. I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway.

I wasn't coming back to this thread until I could say "I have a job". We'll see Friday though. Merry Christmas, everyone. And here's hoping for a post-Christmas miracle.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 25, 2013

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway.

Oh for gently caress's sake

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I didn't have a whole lot this christmas that made me really laugh.

That is, Benny, until you posted this update.

Keep on keepin' on. I hope your plan to get a job to enable you to get a car to enable you to get a job really does work out.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I have an interview Friday. And I figured out something. See, I've been applying for office work for months by sending out cover letters and resumes to companies but never really getting anywhere save for a couple of interviews. If I'm going to get an office job, I need a car. So I'm going to get a job, save up some money, get a car, and then search for work towards my degree outside of my immediate area. I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway.

I wasn't coming back to this thread until I could say "I have a job". We'll see Friday though. Merry Christmas, everyone. And here's hoping for a post-Christmas miracle.

People have been telling you to expand your search for months now. Like, I'm glad you've come around on it, but you've wasted a ton of time not doing it.

Also, I'm not sure that going back to school is a good idea without a very specific goal in mind for how you'll pay for it and what you expect at the end of it.

I'm not trying to poo poo all over your goals or plans because I'm glad you've decided to take some actions. I just want to make sure you're being realistically

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I was going to tell you that you aren't really professor material but then I figured that you couldn't be any worse than the people who gave you a degree in the first place.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

TheScott2K posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

Or firefighter, or maybe astronaut...?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

natetimm posted:

I was going to tell you that you aren't really professor material but then I figured that you couldn't be any worse than the people who gave you a degree in the first place.

But...it's like you always get a professorship at a place that's at least one level less selective than where you got your Ph. D. So if you get your Ph. D from Yale/Oxford/McGill/Melbourne, you wind up teaching at University of Vermont/Durham/Concordia/Tasmania. And if you get a Ph. D from University of Vermont, you wind up teaching at Fitchburg State College, and so on*.

Now, think about a Ph. D program for which Benny might be prepared. And then imagine the places less selective than that where he might find a job.

Benny, I don't think this is an appropriate career goal for you. I know people with Ivy League English degrees who are teaching as adjuncts at community colleges. If you really want to do something with teaching, think about getting a Master's degree in teaching English as a foreign language, maybe?

*The faculty in Benny's program have degrees from places like UCLA, CUNY, and Purdue.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Hey guys, I couldn't figure out how to place things in boxes for a job so instead I'm going to be a professor, that's where I was going wrong.

Why hello professor livesathome.

Waitaminute, it just occurred to me that the plan to get out of moms house ASAP has now switched over to many more years of school. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

And one of the steps in that plan is get a car, a step that was suggested almost a year ago and still hasn't been broached yet. At this rate of accomplishment I look forward to you becoming a professor in 130-200 years.

vvv sorry, we may hire low education, but inept clutzes don't get hired, a worker like Benny would put a whole dept at risk with his low effort attitude and "improvisations"

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 26, 2013

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Become a custodial technician

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

And here's hoping for a post-Christmas miracle.

I'd personally say that you've got a problem when step 1 of your plan to turn your life around is "hope for a miracle", but I've already been pissing in this well so go for it, Benny, follow your dreams.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway..

Don't good Masters program require good grades? Which you don't have?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Nirvikalpa posted:

Don't good Masters program require good grades? Which you don't have?
I had a 3.01 GPA in college which puts me squarely in the B/B- range

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

GPA isn't an absolute slam dunk for grad school by any means, but that is still a bit lower than would typically qualify you for funding (depending on the school and the way the department is run, of course). Did you couple that GPA with internships, work study, study abroad, industry-specific research/projects, extracurricular activities, a good relationship with faculty, etc.? Because if you did any of those things, your GPA may not be an absolute disqualifier when considered along with your other activities and accomplishments.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Merry Xmas one and all.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway.

Nooooooooo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My immediate plan is to eat breakfast. Or get a Master's degree.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have spend the last year doing internships, finding a place to live and handling my health situation, pretty much all of it blew up in my face due to various reasons and I still accomplished more then you Benny.

We want you to succeed man, why :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't know about where you live but you need an A standing to get into the phd program I'm considering. If not that, solid proof of research competency (as in, actual publications). Maybe you need to go to the grad school and academia thread before talking phd.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

So how are you going to pay for school? And how is that your immediate plan? One should think that your immediate plan would be to save up money to be able to go to school, then to apply for Masters programs, then to go back to school, then to become whatever.
Also, do you really need a Master's to be a librarian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, you really need to see someone who can help you build some critical thinking skills.

I'm not sure if your getting therapy or not. If you are, I take it you haven't done much work, in regards to your executive functioning abilities.

Past childhood trauma, feelings, etc. is all relatively important, but you and your therapist need to spend at least half your sessions working on realistic short and long term goals and how to place together the steps required to reach such goals.

I don't think your as terrible as this thread makes you out to be. I feel like there's a massive piece of the puzzle missing from your head. Once you can find and apply it, things will rapidly come together. You can't do it on your own though, no matter how much "will power" you think you have.

I hope you've been getting help over the year. I hope they've addressed whatever demons you have, hiding in your closet, underneath the pile of comic books. I hope you find the missing piece. It's clear that all you want is to be independent, which is a fantastic goal. Your not looking to bang 18-22 year olds or use a woman as a cum dumpster, so I'm still gonna root for you.

I just hope you can figure it all out on your own soon enough. This'll be the 10th some-odd time I've posted the same advice but hopefully some event will happen, which causes you to realize this on your own.

My roommate always says "no matter how many times you tell someone something, they have to learn it on their own. Something has to click, causing them to actually realize what you've been saying all along."

I hope it clicks for you sooner rather than next Christmas.

• Locked thread