Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Do you have Bootstrap installed? Try installing it if you don't, it helps to keep tweaks accessible from settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
There's a new tweak out called HiddenSettings7 that gives you access to all sorts of Springboard tweaks.

If you turn on reduced motion in Settings.app, then you can tweak the reduced motion cross fade speed to make the cross fades happen really quickly.

For anyone that downloads the tweak, the relevant settings are in Icon Animations > Reduced Motion > and adjust 'Mass' to some setting less than 8.00. At the bottom, the calculated duration will reflect the increased speed.

So that's at least half the reason someone would want to upgrade to 7.1 (for the increased animation speeds). Maybe someone inventive will be able to fix the fact that Safari is a buggy, crashy mess on A7 devices too.

Edit: the same changes can be made for people without reduced motion, such as increasing the speed that folders zoom in and out when pressed, and increasing the speed that the springboard displays after unlocking the phone.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 24, 2013

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I finally went to 7.0.4 last night and did the JB, but for some reason things keep getting messed up. Things will work for a little while, then all of a sudden just not work.

Example: I added FakeClockUp, it worked fine. Then a I added a few more tweaks from that one List of compatible apps, and all of a sudden they just don't show up in Settings (even FakeClockUp). I went into Cydia and started removing things one by one, but still nothing. I've had to restore a few times, maybe I will just wait for a better release.

When you all do your JB (and upgrade), do you restore as a 100% new phone or use a backup? If the former, how do you recoup your contacts?

I restore from a backup, but iCloud can keep your contacts in sync if you have that enabled.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
IPad 2 16gb WiFi. Getting boot loop error on 7.0.4 Tried restoring from download in iTunes and shift-restore. Tried setting up iPad as new device and from backup but same problem.
Seems like the boot loop is a common problem. Guess will have to wait for a fix.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

iLikeMidgets posted:

IPad 2 16gb WiFi. Getting boot loop error on 7.0.4 Tried restoring from download in iTunes and shift-restore. Tried setting up iPad as new device and from backup but same problem.
Seems like the boot loop is a common problem. Guess will have to wait for a fix.

It doesn't work for the iPad 2 WiFi. This is one of the issues with the jailbreak being rushed.

It doesn't work on some devices.
MobileSubstrate was never updated. This breaks a LOT of tweaks/apps.
Cydia doesn't work right (although 1.1.9, released today, is a bit better).

The evasi0n team didn't communicate with anyone important, so none of the other software was ready. They rushed their poo poo to get a big $$$$ payout, and now some Chinese company is laughing all the way to the bank.

The jailbreak doesn't work right, but their lovely, ad-filled pirate store is working JUST FINE.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I finally went to 7.0.4 last night and did the JB, but for some reason things keep getting messed up. Things will work for a little while, then all of a sudden just not work.

Example: I added FakeClockUp, it worked fine. Then a I added a few more tweaks from that one List of compatible apps, and all of a sudden they just don't show up in Settings (even FakeClockUp). I went into Cydia and started removing things one by one, but still nothing. I've had to restore a few times, maybe I will just wait for a better release.

FakeClockUp isn't fully compatible just yet. As for the Settings disappearing, someone has already mentioned bootstrap, but you can also just hit 'reinstall' on MobileSubstrate and they should reappear.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

What repo is bootstrap on? It's not showing up in searches for me.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

What repo is bootstrap on? It's not showing up in searches for me.

cydia.myrepospace.com/PWN24K

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Cheers!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Thanks all, bootstrap did the trick.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So yeah, evasi0n just publicly severed their ties with the pod2g because they came to the realization that Taig was intended to be a pirated app store, and like even pod2g's own apps were unlicensed so they probably didn't intend to fix that situation anytime soon or ever.

Also, contrary to rumors, the exploits used in this jailbreak actually remain unpatched as of the latest 7.1 beta (you can even jailbreak 7.1b2), so dropping the jailbreak early was the result of pointless infighting and Apple will probably have the vulnerabilities fixed by the time 7.1 is released in a few weeks.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

NOTinuyasha posted:

Also, contrary to rumors, the exploits used in this jailbreak actually remain unpatched as of the latest 7.1 beta (you can even jailbreak 7.1b2), so dropping the jailbreak early was the result of pointless infighting and Apple will probably have the vulnerabilities fixed by the time 7.1 is released in a few weeks.

This always happens. There's always some prima donna with every jailbreak release who fucks something up for everyone else. It never just involves everyone working as a team.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

There are some straight up ungrateful rear end holes posting in this thread recently.

No wonder the dev team is soliciting Chinese companies. Selfish people condemn them for wanting to make some money, condemn them for not waiting until iOS 7.x to release, accuse them of spending months to perfect their jailbreak only to allegedly implant back doors or malware.

I for one am happy that there is a jailbreak for 7.0.4. Also, from reading twitter and post-mortems on the jailbreak, it appears that the exploits used for this jailbreak are not the only ones that exist in iOS 7, meaning future versions of iOS 7 may be able to be jail broken.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

NOTinuyasha posted:

So yeah, evasi0n just publicly severed their ties with the pod2g because they came to the realization that Taig was intended to be a pirated app store, and like even pod2g's own apps were unlicensed so they probably didn't intend to fix that situation anytime soon or ever.

http://evasi0n.com/l2.html is their release.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

I don't see anywhere that pod2g has left or was removed from the team..

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Updated to 7.04 and jailbroke with success. Did not restore, did not need to use backup, etc. Working well so far.

Does anyone have or can point me to a good list of Cydia stuff for ios7?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

spongeworthy posted:

I don't see anywhere that pod2g has left or was removed from the team..

Yeah I got this wrong, I kind of assumed pod2g was the TaiG guy just based on the specific finger pointing in the press release but apparently it's complicated.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'm a little disappointed these guys didn't get paid after all this.

A paid jailbreak team is a happy jailbreak team.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hmm, well I got cydia installed but after installing like 6 apps, none of them are showing up. It says they are installed, but they are not located anywhere.

Also, anytime I put my finger on the top bar this comes up (and I don't have sbsettings)

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Lots don't work because MobileSubstrate has not been updated by Saurik. You may also need to restart.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

hunter x az posted:

Lots don't work because MobileSubstrate has not been updated by Saurik. You may also need to restart.

I restarted a couple times. And I only downloaded about 6 apps that were on the ios7 compatible list. Only Activator shows up and whenever I restart it just crashes and its in the reset mode again.

Seems like Harlem Shake downloaded Activator, and that was messing everything up.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone know an independent tether app, paid or unpaid, that doesn't need a jailbreak? That's really the only thing I jail break for since iOS7 addressed all my previous issues.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone know an independent tether app, paid or unpaid, that doesn't need a jailbreak? That's really the only thing I jail break for since iOS7 addressed all my previous issues.
Same here but I don't think it's possible without a JB or paying your provided the extra monthly.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

There is the occasional app that gets through the App store that will enable tethering via SOCKS proxy via USB cable.

But that's not a great solution.

TetherMe for Cydia is the best solution for natural tethering. I'm still not sure what crazy people pay $20 for MyWi every time a new iOS version comes out.

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005

goodness posted:

Hmm, well I got cydia installed but after installing like 6 apps, none of them are showing up. It says they are installed, but they are not located anywhere.

Also, anytime I put my finger on the top bar this comes up (and I don't have sbsettings)

That's safe mode something you installed is causing Springboard to crash.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Squarb posted:

That's safe mode something you installed is causing Springboard to crash.

Yep, it was activator. I guess that does not work yet. Everything is fine now after deleting it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

I'm still not sure what crazy people pay $20 for MyWi every time a new iOS version comes out.

I've bought and paid for mywi5 and then the upgrade to mywi6. Is there really a mywi7 because that would be loving bullshit. I've already paid for the drat app twice over.

Edit: turns out mywi7 is a free upgrade for people who have already upgraded to mywi6. Thank goodness.

averox fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 26, 2013

dox
Mar 4, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

TetherMe. I used it on iOS6 and restored my phone to iOS 7 and jailbroke and re-installed it- it recognized my previously purchased license and also worked on the new jailbreak. I highly recommend this option- it was my main concern when upgrading. There is a very useful iOS 7 jailbroken app compatibility table located here to check and see if your Cydia apps have been updated for iOS 7 compatibility.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Now that so many US carriers have added tethering to their non-grandfathered plans, I'd bet the chances of another developer losing their account by slipping a HandyLight through are slim.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

Does anyone have or can point me to a good list of Cydia stuff for ios7?

I recommend following @CydiaReposUp and @CydiaReposNew on twitter.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

That is what I am trying to decide, if I should get os7 jailbreak or os6. Do you think most of the stuff will be updated to 7? I specifically would want something that can take away delay for the actions.

FYI: If you're only jailbreaking for speeding up animations in iOS7, then 7.1 may be all you really want. The animations in 7.1 Beta 2 are significantly faster.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dox posted:

TetherMe. I used it on iOS6 and restored my phone to iOS 7 and jailbroke and re-installed it- it recognized my previously purchased license and also worked on the new jailbreak. I highly recommend this option- it was my main concern when upgrading. There is a very useful iOS 7 jailbroken app compatibility table located here to check and see if your Cydia apps have been updated for iOS 7 compatibility.
I think you missed the "that doesn't need a jailbreak" part.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

There isn't.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I'm trying to find a jailbreak tweak that I loved on iOS6, it was basically triple tap to open the google app and it would also activate the voice search like holding down home does for Siri.

I don't think it was an activator setting because that just lets me open the google app with a triple click, but I still have to tap the voice search button.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Frinkahedron posted:

I'm trying to find a jailbreak tweak that I loved on iOS6, it was basically triple tap to open the google app and it would also activate the voice search like holding down home does for Siri.

I don't think it was an activator setting because that just lets me open the google app with a triple click, but I still have to tap the voice search button.
I think it was called nownow or something like that. No idea if it works in ios7.

yep, nownow: http://lifehacker.com/5958657/nownow-launches-google-voice-search-with-a-siri+like-shortcut-on-jailbroken-iphones
Which was my point exactly, but thanks.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

randyest posted:

I think it was called nownow or something like that. No idea if it works in ios7.

yep, nownow: http://lifehacker.com/5958657/nownow-launches-google-voice-search-with-a-siri+like-shortcut-on-jailbroken-iphones

This is it! Looks like it works fine in iOS 7 too, thanks.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
The only feature I still use jailbreak for on my iOS 6 iPhone is removing data restrictions from certain apps that are designed to work only over wifi (Amazon Video being the only one I really care about at the moment). I presume that's not an official feature in iOS 7, and I'd still need to jailbreak if I were inclined to update the OS?

Why do app developers do that, by the way? I'm grandfathered into an unlimited VZW data plan—let me get what I pay for FFS.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cranbe posted:

The only feature I still use jailbreak for on my iOS 6 iPhone is removing data restrictions from certain apps that are designed to work only over wifi (Amazon Video being the only one I really care about at the moment). I presume that's not an official feature in iOS 7, and I'd still need to jailbreak if I were inclined to update the OS?

Why do app developers do that, by the way? I'm grandfathered into an unlimited VZW data plan—let me get what I pay for FFS.
I think it's the carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) who are to blame for such restrictions. For obvious reasons.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Depends on the app. Only thing that the carriers get to disable is tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

~Coxy posted:

Depends on the app. Only thing that the carriers get to disable is tethering.
Maybe a dev can pipe up and confirm but it seems hard to believe an app developer wouldn't include an option to do whatever via celldata if it were possible to do so. What's the downside for anyone other than the carriers?

• Locked thread