Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Rhyno posted:

I watched Branded yesterday because somebody recommended it in this thread some time ago.

gently caress you guy that said that, it was seriously among the worst films I've ever seen.

Hahaha, this but for The Tall Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This has been sitting in my queue based solely on the "box" art and the couple of preview screenshots they cycle through on the PS3 Netflix. Does it benefit from being watched on the biggest screen possible?

Absolutely. The art is very colorful and vibrant.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

Hahaha, this but for The Tall Man.

You don't get to complain about The Tall Man when someone is bitching about Branded. Branded is so bad that I almost actually recommend it because you really won't see anything else like it because most people that get this far into making a movie aren't this terrible at absolutely everything. Like it's a movie with an agenda but it has no idea about any aspect of the thing that it's talking about. It's a movie that is just bafflingly incompetent from all angles. It's incredible. You might not have liked the Tall Man but it was at least put together in a way that I don't think can't be called at least competent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I watched Branded yesterday because somebody recommended it in this thread some time ago.

gently caress you guy that said that, it was seriously among the worst films I've ever seen.

Ha ha ha. Branded is one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. And by amazing I mean amazingly bad. I really do recommend watching it as long as you go in knowing that it's completely loving insane and terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody said it was bad you jerks!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Random Stranger posted:

Ha ha ha. Branded is one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. And by amazing I mean amazingly bad. I really do recommend watching it as long as you go in knowing that it's completely loving insane and terrible.

That last part is the major selling point of Branded. It's one of the worst-made movies I've ever seen, but it's bizarre and out-there in a way that few films can possibly top. I think lowtax accurately described how loving bonkers Branded is.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh yes, it's terrible. At first you think,"Oh that was weird,but funny. Wow,bizarre monsters" but little by little you start to get annoyed until the end when you wish you had the physical DVD to bury it in a litter box so your cat can poo poo and pee on it, then burn it and bury it again in the box.

I actually did get angry with Branded.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Nobody said it was bad you jerks!

I did!

Random Stranger posted:

Branded is one of the most insane, stupid movies I've ever seen that its writer/directors were clearly convinced was brilliant and important. I could feel the :smug: radiating off the film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Branded would make an amazing double-feature with Foodfight! Both are films about advertising, although their views on the subject are totally opposite, but they're also incompetently made in a similar insane, unfocused, we-don't-know-what-we're-doing way, and they make you question if it's worth maintaining cinema as an art form.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Branded isn't that bad.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I kind of want to watch Branded now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Branded isn't that bad.

Yeah. Hitler was an okay dude too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I haven't seen Branded, but I can't believe it is the worst film ever made considering Waking Life exists.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JohnSherman posted:

I haven't seen Branded, but I can't believe it is the worst film ever made considering Waking Life exists.

Waking Life is just sort of boringly pretentious and vapid, Branded is more actively evil in that it's a parable about advertising that suggests that the solution to advertising saturating our every waking moment is to have even more advertising (only it's advertising healthy things so it's OK, free market bitchez) and considers fat people not being shamed and mocked and excluded to be a sign of society's regression and impending collapse.

The 30 seconds so of corporate conflict represented as Godzilla-sized Pokemon battles was kind of entertaining, at least. That and the design people probably had fun seeing how how copyright-skirting the knockoff logos for their surrogates for real brands could get.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just watched Coyote. Pretty good movie about the spiral down when dudes start doing illegal poo poo for a living (Think Breaking Bad but in movie form and smuggling people instead of cooking meth), although something feels weird about the camera they used.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Branded isn't that bad.

It sort of it. I mean, it's not Foodfight bad, but it's pretty incomprehensibly bad.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I'm 2 for 2 with movies my mother-in-law actually enjoyed, Bernie and Robot and Frank. Anything else on netflix that is enjoyable for a mixed crowd?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Any movie you can watch from beginning to end is not that bad.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

foodfight posted:

I'm 2 for 2 with movies my mother-in-law actually enjoyed, Bernie and Robot and Frank. Anything else on netflix that is enjoyable for a mixed crowd?

Two documentaries that my family enjoyed were Marwencol and Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

This is a standard so low that it's basically meaningless.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Two documentaries that my family enjoyed were Marwencol and Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

I would second JDoS as a good family documentary and will also throw in Waste Land. A great documentary about a famous artists that goes to probably the poorest city in the world, and with the aid of the civilians, makes beautiful art that he than sells and gives them all of the money.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Khorne Flakes posted:

I would second JDoS as a good family documentary and will also throw in Waste Land. A great documentary about a famous artists that goes to probably the poorest city in the world, and with the aid of the civilians, makes beautiful art that he than sells and gives them all of the money.

Yeah. Wasteland was amazing. JDos is important to see for every human. The concepts in that film can be carried to anyone's work. In the same vein is A matter of taste. Its not life changing but its interesting to see from the inside of a top chef from his beginnings.

edit: Adn if you really want to go crazy watch elbulli This is a very SLOW burner but if you are into ultra high end fine dining (I used to have a habit that I have transitioned into me cooking at home - much cheaper) then you will find it to be amazing. Especially when you witness what goes into this place.

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 26, 2013

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

axleblaze posted:

You don't get to complain about The Tall Man when someone is bitching about Branded. Branded is so bad that I almost actually recommend it because you really won't see anything else like it because most people that get this far into making a movie aren't this terrible at absolutely everything. Like it's a movie with an agenda but it has no idea about any aspect of the thing that it's talking about. It's a movie that is just bafflingly incompetent from all angles. It's incredible. You might not have liked the Tall Man but it was at least put together in a way that I don't think can't be called at least competent.

Well when you put it that way I can't not watch it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Chances are it will be taken down, eventually. Youtube doesn't really actively seek out infringements so it's all about when the copyright owner becomes aware of it.

Now, of course, they have the automatching software for music and you'd figure it'd work for movies at least based on the sound, but maybe not.

The sounds matching thing definitely works for dvds. There's something of a growing trend in the opera scene (if such a term is applicable) for uploading complete operas to YouTube so others can watch the whole thing instead of just clips. YouTube always identifies the material as being copyrighted in my video manager, but all the vids work. The only exceptions have been one opera which was blocked by the copyright holder from being played in most countries, and one short clip which was challenged (which I won an appeal on based on fair use. That argument obviously couldn't be used for a full opera but so far, so good)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've watched Jiro a couple of times, and my favorite scene for sure is when the apprentice is tenderizing the octopus with his bare hands. He looks physically tired hunched over it, and says something like "yeah I've been at this all morning". Then Jiro strolls up, looks for two seconds, says "nope not ready" and keeps walking :xd:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I had to take a full 24 hour break halfway through it because it was so horrible.

dayoung
Sep 28, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Just watched Coyote. Pretty good movie about the spiral down when dudes start doing illegal poo poo for a living (Think Breaking Bad but in movie form and smuggling people instead of cooking meth), although something feels weird about the camera they used.

This is a fun movie that I always recommend. Of course, I am a bit biased because my brother worked on the movie. I love to see it being mentioned though!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks for praising Europa Report in this thread, guys. Good movie. My favorite computer game back in high school was The Dig, so I guess I simply like this type of sci-fi setting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A while back someone was asking about movies where the main character is on a doomed mission, and I realized the other day that most of Jim Jarmusch's films fit this template. The three I've seen are Dead Man, Ghost Dog, and Broken Flowers. I don't think they're all still on Netflix, though.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What are some good crime documentaries? (or other documentaries if they are super interesting) I've seen Imposter, Dear Zachary and a few of the serial killer ones (Dahmer Files, Aileen, H.H Holmes Americas first serial killer)I haven't seen a lot of non crime ones, first that comes to mind is Blackfish. What are some others I should watch. I'm not super huge on nature documentaries unless they are really interesting.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Great Happiness Space

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Thin Blue Line would be the obvious answer.

Whore's Glory was pretty good as a travel doc, sort of like a slightly seedier episode of No Reservations. I'd recommend watching after Great Happiness Space.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Red Dawn was pretty good. The action and the acting was good, and there were not really any terrible decisions made by the characters in the film and when there were, there were consequences. The tactics were well done, the combat seemed real enough, plenty of surpriseswhy don't you go get your beer?, etc. Good movie all around.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Red Dawn was pretty good. The action and the acting was good, and there were not really any terrible decisions made by the characters in the film and when there were, there were consequences. The tactics were well done, the combat seemed real enough, plenty of surpriseswhy don't you go get your beer?, etc. Good movie all around.

It's also extremely racist and stupid and not at all any good.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

The_Rob posted:

It's also extremely racist and stupid and not at all any good.

Wait which version is racist? I don't remember the 80s version being racist.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

No Longer Flaky posted:

Wait which version is racist? I don't remember the 80s version being racist.

In the 80s version The Russians are the antagonists. If you followed the hash tags for the modern Red Dawn and Olympus Has Fallen when they came out, 'Murricans were so upset at the dirty, double crossin' Asian menace that they furiously tweeted demands to the White House to pre-emptively invade North Korea/China. Like the movies were documentaries.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

red19fire posted:

In the 80s version The Russians are the antagonists. If you followed the hash tags for the modern Red Dawn and Olympus Has Fallen when they came out, 'Murricans were so upset at the dirty, double crossin' Asian menace that they furiously tweeted demands to the White House to pre-emptively invade North Korea/China. Like the movies were documentaries.

Oh, I didn't realize they had changed the antagonists in the movie for the newer version. I guess it makes sense, but I think they could have kept it the russians and not many people woulda cared.

The 80's version is pretty fun and I wouldn't call it a terrible movie. Haven't seen the newer version, don't really plan on it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They double-changed the antagonists, originally it was China and then when they realized that they were threatening their standing with the second biggest box office on the planet they changed it to Koreans in post.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

:china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A bunch of stuff is expiring with the new year:

-----------TV Shows-----------------
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
Dark Shadows (original from late 1960s)
Saturday Night Live The 2000s
Mr Bean