Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Merry Christmas ladies, please enjoy my lovely sister with a big rear end dog (BAD) thanks

look at all the patterns in this

just look at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

international bowel day

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

look at all the patterns in this

just look at them

yeah my uncles house is pretty wild, they live in this log cabin on top of a mountain and nothing has been updated since the 70s pretty much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My dad got me a coupon for Drive-a-Tank, the Tank Driving Experience, where you drive a tank around. Comes with shooting some machine guns.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Pick posted:

My dad got me a coupon for Drive-a-Tank, the Tank Driving Experience, where you drive a tank around. Comes with shooting some machine guns.

holy poo poo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Merry Christmas Ladies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQd5qHsd0Bs

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Big Beef City posted:

If you're a student of urban design, wouldn't a book entitled "A timeless way of building" just make you laugh?

I mean unless it's like "Squares are a good shape."

I haven't read it yet but I understand it goes hand in hand with the Jane Jacobs' Death and Life of Great American Cities theory that the built environment influences behavior. And that during the 50s and 60s we (planners) ignored the way people had lived for centuries in favor of untested ideas that in theory should be the "ideal" way to live. Which lead to urban blight and huge impersonal housing blocks where gangs of teenager ran wild and people never interacted with their neighbors. As well as that the aesthetic is influenced by classic patterns that reflect nature and mathematics like the golden ratio and that by throwing out the older rules, we've created unattractive and inharmonious buildings.

But I haven't read 'em yet so I'm just paraphrasing reviews. It may take me while; they're fat books with little bitty print.

Pick posted:

OMG.

Tora! Tora! Tora! fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 26, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 11, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

that's the one :toot:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I got a Fitbit. Time to not be a sack 'o tatoes.

And I would love a 23andme kit. Let me know what you think of it when you get the findings back.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

t_violet posted:

I haven't read it yet but I understand it goes hand in hand with the Jane Jacobs' Death and Life of Great American Cities theory that the built environment influences behavior. And that during the 50s and 60s we (planners) ignored the way people had lived for centuries in favor of untested ideas that in theory should be the "ideal" way to live. Which lead to urban blight and huge impersonal housing blocks where gangs of teenager ran wild and people never interacted with their neighbors. As well as that the aesthetic is influenced by classic patterns that reflect nature and mathematics like the golden ratio and that by throwing out the older rules, we've created unattractive and inharmonious buildings.

But I haven't read 'em yet so I'm just paraphrasing reviews. It may take me while; they're fat books with little bitty print.

Man I hope you got some class theory background or you're gonna gently caress poo poo up bad.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

As well as my cat book I got a cookery book for making tasty chocolate treats, a jumper and the usual socks, panties, bath stuff and chocolate :)

Dinner was a success and we still have plenty for turkey butties. Going to the parents house tomorrow and having gammon too so not a bad Christmas in all :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my brother donated $200 worth of bees to the needy

but not me

i need bees, brother o why brother

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Pick posted:

but not me

Who needs bees? (Serious question)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's a heifer international thing

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Merry Day-after-Christmas from the land of used panty machines and KFC Christmas buckets.

I had cheesecake, mac and cheese and mash for breakfast.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I had an eyelid twitch like that for about three weeks straight this year. And several wasp stings to the face, causing it to swell grotesquely for most of Rifflandia. I should do an annual ridiculous injury/illness roundup instead of a year in review. Still not as bad as the year with two broken toes and a Bell's palsy I guess.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Big Beef City posted:

Man I hope you got some class theory background or you're gonna gently caress poo poo up bad.

So like I'm not an architect or an urban planner, I'm just an uncultured engineer who likes to do construction work on houses and has an interest in how cities work. So I'm approaching all this stuff from a very uneducated perspective. I'm honestly asking am I saying something that's like super naive or dumb? I really don't know much beyond what I've read here and there; the extent of my education in this type of stuff was one class in "Architecture and Society" to fulfill my fine arts credit.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Pick posted:

but not me

I donated a bunch of bees in my niece's name when she started getting into bugs. She was excited.

She's coming on Friday to visit for a few days and we'll go to DC. She wants to see the Declaration of Independence :3:

We're also going to a restaurant that has cricket tacos and she is very excited.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I got lenses for macro photography and diamond-tipped jewelers bits. Unexpected nerd presents are the best presents.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

t_violet posted:

So like I'm not an architect or an urban planner, I'm just an uncultured engineer who likes to do construction work on houses and has an interest in how cities work. So I'm approaching all this stuff from a very uneducated perspective. I'm honestly asking am I saying something that's like super naive or dumb? I really don't know much beyond what I've read here and there; the extent of my education in this type of stuff was one class in "Architecture and Society" to fulfill my fine arts credit.

Didn't you get the memo you have to be an expert in a thing in order to read a book on a thing woman

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Just enjoy your awesome book haha

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Gravitee posted:

I got a Fitbit. Time to not be a sack 'o tatoes.

And I would love a 23andme kit. Let me know what you think of it when you get the findings back.

will do! my mom got a fitbit too and it seems pretty cool although I wouldn't use one because it'd expose exactly how drat lazy I am

I just rewatched frozen with a few people who hadn't seen it, watching it again I noticed that most of the music is REALLY GOOD but the troll song detracted from the rest of the movie

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

t_violet posted:

Rubber gloves and a new dish soap dispenser. Which sounds lame (dammit, I guess I am an adult now) but I asked for them as they're Casabella gloves, the best rubber gloves out there (and I'll actually do dishes if I have gloves) and a nice new Simple Human dispenser to replace my rusty one.
I have this dispenser (the automatic one, right?) and it is so handy. I don't have a dishwasher (New York apartment), and it felt pretty dumb dropping that kind of money on a soap dispenser, but it makes washing by hand way more convenient.

My big presents were a heated comforter and a vacuum :toot: Talk about boring adulthood, but both will be really nice to have.

I also got some fun stuff, knitting stuff, a few little kitchen gadgets, sheets, and a Cook's Illustrated subscription. As you could guess, I've been all about nesting for awhile now. And of course there was chocolate.

It was just a nice chill day. We got up less early than usual, and after presents, there was still time to nap on the couch with my parents' cat, then produce a big family dinner, then more catnapping. 5/5 would Christmas again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 11, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I got to see some of my favorite almost-relatives, on my fiance's side. And give them awesome presents, which I love doing. My mom sent my son a toddler golf set and a toddler tee-ball set, I think because she doesn't like my kid's other grandmother, whose basement and middle floor we're occupying/sharing right now, and who has a ton of lovely knick-knacks that are easily breakable. I need to stop supplying my mom with information about the Rival Grandma, I think.

I got all of my presents before Christmas day, because... that's how it works around here, if you're an adult.
My fiance got me a fantastic, fleece hooded-footed pajama onsie. It makes me look lumpy but I do not care, we sleep in the basement so the kid can have the sole middle-floor bedroom, and it's cold as balls down here.

I got a surprise set of lipsticks and balms and such from a Canadian friend's favorite lip-specific company, called LippyGirl. A thank-you Christmas gift for being a go-between for her and companies that don't ship to Canada, or only do so for a ridiculous fee. I've only tried the balm so far, it's fantastic except for the minty part. I like the mint, but it can dry out lips.

I got one secret santa package with three mini Tarte blushes, a Too-Faced palette, and an Anastasia Beverly Hills palette/kit thing. It also contained a handful of indie shadows, which I'm super happy about. I got another that contained two things that I already own, and am swapping with ToeKneeHand for Canadian candy and whatever cosmetics stuff she sees fit to send. The rest was samples. I guess one overly-awesome secret santa gift makes up for one pretty meh one.

A different Canadian friend that I also act as a go-between for sent me the Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette, which I'm crazy about, and a set of mini Butter London polishes, some of which I love, some of which just aren't my color. She also sent me several indie polishes, and has told me to keep a couple more from orders she's had sent here, so I am just drowning in polish, considering my Christmas present to myself was two gift sets of holo polishes and topcoats from an indie company.

Not a bad Christmas haul, especially considering I'm almost 30.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

t_violet posted:

i'm really interested in urban planning and construction and design as well, and i definitely agree with the notion that architecture, design and green spaces effect your social experiences and emotions. i'm also a really rabid radical leftist, and where class analysis comes into urban planning is primarily that good design is regarded as the province of the rich, and the poor, as in most things, are left with lovely infrastructure, poor environmental designs which end up costing more to run in terms of utilities, and really inadequate and incompetantly-designed facilities and storage space in low-income housing developments. consciousness of the effects of design and how they shape communities is inextricably linked with class consciousness in design, because you absolutely can design low-income housing on a tiny budget and have them not be horrific tenements with no green space or chance for community development. the way the poster about phrased that was crappy and rude, and you don't need to read capital or have a grasp of historical materialism to be a good person and inculcuate class consciousness into your work (though everyone should read capital :D). for a really good primer on the kinds of things i'm talking about, this two-part episode of grand designs is really good

also you didn't say anything naive or dumb, i think the reason why that poster said what they said was because you specifically didn't mention class as a driver of good or bad design (because the poor generally don't build their homes). and christ knows specificity and clarity are the foundation stones of gbs 2.1 :haw:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 26, 2013

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I ate five Christmas dinners this December. That's a personal best.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I stroked an owls tummy, I won Christmas!

It was soft. He was a cool owl.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Ooh! What kind? My sister is an avian/exotic surgeon and is always posting FB pics of her with awesome raptory birds. That is so cool!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
European Eagle owl, one big rear end owl.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
i googled it. It's scientific name is bubo bubo and that's hysterical right now. (I'm drunk, but it's 9:30 PM here so it's cool.) Bubo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Pick posted:

it's a heifer international thing

are you going abroad

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

poopkitty posted:

i googled it. It's scientific name is bubo bubo and that's hysterical right now. (I'm drunk, but it's 9:30 PM here so it's cool.) Bubo.

A bubo (Greek boubôn, "groin") (plural form: buboes) is the swelling of the lymph nodes.

He was about as much owl as you can get. Owl report: not heavy to hold despite much bigger than small dog, likes tummy rubs, lazy

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 26, 2013

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
so you spent christmas stroking swollen groin groins

you win christmas

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My wife loved the craftsmen hand vac the battery did not disappoint. Much sucking!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pick posted:

Meanwhile I got a pair of Bose headphones and some minis of Glenlivet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
dear little niece, you are ultra adorbs and i thank you for having so god drat much energy in your tiny body that it slapped the snooze button on my biological clock SO HARD that i think you broke it forever

god drat i do not understand how people can be around kids all the time, it's just Go Go Go and I'm like "HEY LET US COLOR because it means I can sit down for 10 minutes"

she's cute but gently caress me, I needed to nap forever after i got home.

• Locked thread