Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ted is Spock in the last frame.

Of course Ted would have three different Yukon Cornelius tree ornaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Trickjaw posted:

I hope you have prepared your scrolls. Or the Cardassians will come and gently caress your Mum Space Pope.

A more accurate description.

Visiting my parents for the holidays, my Dad approached me with a task. I have to repair our old Hallmark Trek ornaments, as the internal lights are no longer working. It's going to be an interesting project.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

kelvron posted:

A more accurate description.

Visiting my parents for the holidays, my Dad approached me with a task. I have to repair our old Hallmark Trek ornaments, as the internal lights are no longer working. It's going to be an interesting project.

Let us know if they're LEDs or little bulbs inside, I've wanted to hook ours up but I'm afraid of burning them out.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It is as constant as the northern star.

You mean its only true once every 26,000 years? :smug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So I've been marathoning Deep Space 9 over the last few weeks. It's not the first time I've seen the show, but it's been long enough that I've forgotten everything except the broad strokes of the plot and the characters.

It's such a better show than TNG. Don't get me wrong, TNG is great for certain things, but TNG is so flat and boring compared to DS9. Data's arc was the closest thing to character development that TNG ever did, and killing Tasha Yar was probably the biggest change to the status quo they ever attempted.

Meanwhile, on DS9, poo poo is going down all the time. The decision to serialize the series and the introduction of the Dominion War were both amazing decisions. TNG was always fun and enjoyable, but had very little emotion to it. Everyone was cold and professional, even during battle. Smash cut to DS9, people are dying by the thousands, morals become compromised, good men and women are put to the test, people develop PTSD, etc.

Roddenberry's vision for an ideal future is wonderful, and I honestly hope humanity reaches some sort of TNG-esque Star Trek society one day, but war and conflict and a non-perfect Federation make for such better stories. Section 31 is great, the idea that the Federation isn't just some beacon of hope and good feelings makes for some amazing storytelling.

In conclusion, DS9 owns and Damar owns and every scene with him makes me think of this:

Merry Christmas, goons! I'm just starting the 9-part finale! :toot:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Let us know if they're LEDs or little bulbs inside, I've wanted to hook ours up but I'm afraid of burning them out.

I'll try and do a effort post or two on the ornaments while I'm home for you guys. My family collected the Hallmark ones for years. I'll do my best to not to get mottled-Data-action-figures creepy.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Merry Christmas Star Trek thread :)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

You mean its only true once every 26,000 years? :smug:

It's only watchable every 26,000 years.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I was thinking how to spend my Christmas, alone, in this Prophet-forsaken hellhole of Nebraska. Guess it's Trek Movie Marathon time!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Copious amounts of root beer.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Does anyone else wish Raktajino existed? I bet it would be awesomely strong but somehow not that bitter.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

WampaLord posted:

This is the best gift of all.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nutsngum posted:

Does anyone else wish Raktajino existed? I bet it would be awesomely strong but somehow not that bitter.

Triple brew it, add in liquid contents of a targ. Substitute pork if no targ available.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would love to see a Klingon dessert chef. Making tarts and sponge cakes and whipping cream to frost up a Kahlessmas cake. He comes out of the kitchen, his apron covered in thick raspberry coulis. The humans think he's been viciously slaughtering an animal, but he's just been making the custard moulds more delicious!

VICTORY! HONOUR! SPLENDA!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Splenda is for dishonorable petaQs. True warriors of the kitchen use pure cane sugar.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
So, my brother in law got me "Star Trek Federation The First 150 Years." It's a faux history book covering WWIII, the Eugenics Wars (with a cute little explanation for the 1992 timeframe), Cochran's flight, up through Kirks's death in Generations.

It's full of little things like illustrations of certain events. It's actually a pretty neat little book if anyone gets a chance to pick it up.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Was it made pre or post Enterprise?

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 25, 2013

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

WampaLord posted:

So I've been marathoning Deep Space 9 over the last few weeks. It's not the first time I've seen the show, but it's been long enough that I've forgotten everything except the broad strokes of the plot and the characters.

It's such a better show than TNG. Don't get me wrong, TNG is great for certain things, but TNG is so flat and boring compared to DS9. Data's arc was the closest thing to character development that TNG ever did, and killing Tasha Yar was probably the biggest change to the status quo they ever attempted.

Meanwhile, on DS9, poo poo is going down all the time. The decision to serialize the series and the introduction of the Dominion War were both amazing decisions. TNG was always fun and enjoyable, but had very little emotion to it. Everyone was cold and professional, even during battle. Smash cut to DS9, people are dying by the thousands, morals become compromised, good men and women are put to the test, people develop PTSD, etc.

Roddenberry's vision for an ideal future is wonderful, and I honestly hope humanity reaches some sort of TNG-esque Star Trek society one day, but war and conflict and a non-perfect Federation make for such better stories. Section 31 is great, the idea that the Federation isn't just some beacon of hope and good feelings makes for some amazing storytelling.

In conclusion, DS9 owns and Damar owns and every scene with him makes me think of this:

DS9 is the best Trek but it could only be the best Trek because of the Treks that came before it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kelvron posted:

Splenda is for dishonorable petaQs. True warriors of the kitchen use pure cane sugar.

Screw cane sugar. Beet sugar, the sugar of a warrior.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kelvron posted:

A true culinary warrior does not want to cause undue insulin spikes in those fighters who consume his goods, and will thus use Splenda, the most honourable sugar replacement. Xylitol has Romulan blood.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

armoredgorilla posted:

DS9 is the best Trek but it could only be the best Trek because of the Treks that came before it.

...and in spite of the Treks after it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Screw cane sugar. Beet sugar, the sugar of a warrior.

Screw sugar, period. Use macerated prunes. Make everything a warrior's sweet.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Avery Brooks on The Sisko. From the DS9 Season 7 extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeCHYNyWPA

A new year is coming soon, I hope we get some good news.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
On a semi-related note, have any more of the TNG gag reels from the Blu-Rays made their way onto the internet? I've still only seen the epic season 2 outtakes. :smith:

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

kelvron posted:

Was it made pre or post Enterprise?

Post. So it deals pretty extensively with the events of Enterprise then extrapolates the founding of the Federation and the Romulan war. Prior to that, it discusses the Valiant and other pre-Enterprise issues. Then moves on to the post war era, deals with the development of the Constitution class and then delves into Robert April, Pike, Kirk and the events of TOS up through TUC.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Voyage Home owns.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If it was totally possible to replace Vedek Bareil's entire brain with a positronic one, and the only reason they didn't was because "he wouldn't be the same," doesn't that mean that it would have been easy to make more Datas?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kelvron posted:

Avery Brooks on The Sisko. From the DS9 Season 7 extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeCHYNyWPA

A new year is coming soon, I hope we get some good news.

You know I've seen this video before and I've always wondered why exactly he thought he needed to leave before the seventh season before deciding to "endure" the rest of it. If it was simply hard work, if he had other projects he wanted to do, or if there were some things going on behind the scenes that he didn't quite like. I suppose it could also be that Brooks seems to use very colourful and descriptive words to describe things so "endure" to him may mean something different than it does to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inspector Hound posted:

If it was totally possible to replace Vedek Bareil's entire brain with a positronic one, and the only reason they didn't was because "he wouldn't be the same," doesn't that mean that it would have been easy to make more Datas?
Some douchebag on a lovely colony world was able to do it; it couldn't have been enormously hard to do, it just hadn't been done to Data's specifications often/at all. I also suppose there were years of in-setting technical development between when they declared Data was not a toaster and the business with Bareil.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It's such a wonderfully goofy premise, too. Like, no poo poo he wouldn't be the same if you wholly replace his thinkmeats with an N64. No loving poo poo.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kibayasu posted:

You know I've seen this video before and I've always wondered why exactly he thought he needed to leave before the seventh season before deciding to "endure" the rest of it. If it was simply hard work, if he had other projects he wanted to do, or if there were some things going on behind the scenes that he didn't quite like. I suppose it could also be that Brooks seems to use very colourful and descriptive words to describe things so "endure" to him may mean something different than it does to me.

If I'm remembering right, there was some office romance bullshit between him, visitor, and siddig.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This may have been posted in an earlier thread, but I don't remember.

Did you know we dislike Voyager because, as white men, we're terrified of Janeway's feminist power? An essay, written by someone who didn't pay a lot of attention to Voyager, as evidenced by a few weird misinterpretations and one or two outright moments of "what Trek are you thinking about?"

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Funny that, most of the complaints I've seen for Voyager centre on the writing which resulted in reset buttons every other week or so and inconsistent characterisation. Even the biggest criticisms in regards to acting are generally levelled at the men. When they gave her something to get her teeth into Mulgrew was pretty good, not Stewart or Brooks level perhaps but with some solid writing she could have held her own.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This may have been posted in an earlier thread, but I don't remember.

Did you know we dislike Voyager because, as white men, we're terrified of Janeway's feminist power? An essay, written by someone who didn't pay a lot of attention to Voyager, as evidenced by a few weird misinterpretations and one or two outright moments of "what Trek are you thinking about?"

I guess that's what happens when you focus on labels instead of content.

Kibayasu posted:

I noticed that too. It seemed like a really weird thing to just leave hanging, but it's also something he couldn't get into on a DVD extra. I'm also curious on what he wanted to do differently if he got to do this all again.

I want Brooks to write a no-holds-barred bio. That would be fun to read.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Funny that, most of the complaints I've seen for Voyager centre on the writing which resulted in reset buttons every other week or so and inconsistent characterisation. Even the biggest criticisms in regards to acting are generally levelled at the men. When they gave her something to get her teeth into Mulgrew was pretty good, not Stewart or Brooks level perhaps but with some solid writing she could have held her own.

Watch Orange is the New Black. Mulgrew actually kind of rocks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I actually like Mulgrew, it's just Voyager gave her such tepid material that I feel she ended up on auto-pilot after a while.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

One of the things I loved about Voyager, actually, was that it had more women in positions of power. And not like TNG, where you had one woman assigned as carer/mother and the other as count chocula/shouting detector, but just straight up captain and chief engineer. And they were both really loving into science and engineering; if they'd kept the mood from the first couple of episodes of B'Elanna and Janeway getting really loving excited about science to each other, it could have been super inspirational to a whole generation of young women. Unfortunately, the rest of the show was written to actively stop anybody from liking anything about it. They literally wrote in an abusive, pedophilic clown and acted like we, the audience, were supposed to like him. Then, the one time they try and add a bit of tragic backstory that shows he had PTSD that explained so much about him, they reset loving button the goddamn ex-soldier part of his history five minutes later to say that no, this abusive, pedophilic clown is also afraid of everything and runs away.

The awesome feminist messages that initially got put into Voyager wasn't why people didn't like Voyager at all.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
When Janeway gets going and nerds out it's really great. I loved the idea of having a science officer turned captain and I think she probably could have made a run for my favorite if she was given even half the consistency and development of Picard or the Sisko.

Also that article says Tuvok is "half-black, half-Vulcan" and unless I missed something I'm pretty sure that's not the case?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Voyage Home owns.

At the time of its release it was received very well, a total breath of fresh air after the previous three Trek movies were literally dripping with melodrama, it was actually nice to see the movies finally addressing the 'human adventure.'

Spock nerve pinching the punk rock guy and 'double dumb rear end on you' were considered the highlights as local news channels literally could not stop playing those scenes when reviewing the movie.

My favorite scene is still Surak exclaiming 'LOOK!' while striking a significant pose, straight out of a '40s epic.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Binary Badger posted:

My favorite scene is still Surak exclaiming 'LOOK!' while striking a significant pose, straight out of a '40s epic.

Sarek. :colbert:

• Locked thread