Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Anoulie posted:

Also, do you really need a Master's to be a librarian?

Yes, you do. You have to learn about archiving, research, and some computer science.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Library_and_Information_Science

If you want to be a reference librarian or archivist this degree is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
But you also need to accept the fact that there may not be any professorial or librarian jobs within walking distance of moms house. Or even in the state.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Eris posted:

But you also need to accept the fact that there may not be any professorial or librarian jobs within walking distance of moms house. Or even in the state.

Or at all. I was on course towards finishing my bachelors at school that has a pretty good library sciences program in the hopes of ultimately getting my masters there when the libraries started shutting down. That was back in what, 2007? It's now 2013, libraries don't really hire new people anymore, at least around here.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Eris posted:

This is true. I'll also add that working in a library is a lot more difficult than people think. My grandma was a reference librarian for over 40 years (and played a big role in integrating the local library system). In that time, she has dealt with a ton of poo poo you'd never think about. Performing the research and organizing the books is only a part of what you do. The job requires a ton of social interaction. People will use the library as a free babysitting service (which can often lead to calls to the police/CPS when kids are left there after the library is closed), the homeless, thieves, and probably a ton of stuff that my grandma has told me that I've forgotten about.

People think working in a library is this nice, quiet thing and it's really not.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
There's also corporate librarians etc. etc. but really -- this is all moot until those executive functioning skills are properly dealt with. Until then, were really just hoarding comics in lock boxes and surfing the PG Internet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

I have an interview Friday. And I figured out something. See, I've been applying for office work for months by sending out cover letters and resumes to companies but never really getting anywhere save for a couple of interviews. If I'm going to get an office job, I need a car. So I'm going to get a job, save up some money, get a car, and then search for work towards my degree outside of my immediate area. I'm also going to go back to school and get my Masters and become a professor. Or a librarian. I'd like to be either. That's my immediate plan anyway.

I wasn't coming back to this thread until I could say "I have a job". We'll see Friday though. Merry Christmas, everyone. And here's hoping for a post-Christmas miracle.

What's the job interview for?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny, please do serious research into how difficult it is to get hired into higher education and academic jobs. There are way more people than jobs, especially in the humanities. Humanities departments are shrinking like crazy, and tenure-track jobs are rapidly dying out.

Read up on sites like Insider Higher Ed or the NYT education section and think hard about a highly competitive, shrinking field and your own qualifications.

There are a million and one things you can do with an English degree. Go do one in a growing field.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

How hard would it be to get certified to teach in California? A PhD, let alone being a professor, is an unrealistic goal at this point, but you might be able to teach elsewhere.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Morby posted:

This is true. I'll also add that working in a library is a lot more difficult than people think. My grandma was a reference librarian for over 40 years (and played a big role in integrating the local library system). In that time, she has dealt with a ton of poo poo you'd never think about. Performing the research and organizing the books is only a part of what you do. The job requires a ton of social interaction. People will use the library as a free babysitting service (which can often lead to calls to the police/CPS when kids are left there after the library is closed), the homeless, thieves, and probably a ton of stuff that my grandma has told me that I've forgotten about.

People think working in a library is this nice, quiet thing and it's really not.

You're right, but a librarian with a masters won't have to deal with a lot of that as they would often be hired in an archival post that doesn't require communication with the general public. That's why libraries hire dorks like me as library assistants to deal with threats, complaints and general gopher work. I'm basically a shop assistant that rents books and my job description does not include the word Librarian at any point.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny, has your mom earned her teaching credentials yet? Can she help you at least begin on the path to working? I think you can teach in some grade schools in California with a BA and a certificate. And I think you get paid while you're doing in-service stuff in the actual classroom (not sure about benefits, though).

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Also, Benny, this is what you said about warehouse work:

Benny the Snake posted:

Another concern is that by applying for fast food/warehouse work, I'm essentially fishing in an over-crowded pond. Sure I could jump right in to either handling packages or making fries but there's much more people reguardless of education status that I'd have to compete with for the same job. Besides I just got an response from a customer service position I applied to-they want to do an interview. I think my prospects are looking up.

Is there a higher ed job thread in BFC? You really, really need to think about your future beyond "PROFESSOR OF COMIX".

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

A 3.00 GPA is not competitive for Phd programs.

MBPearls
Jan 25, 2005
the Blueline Goddess

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My immediate plan is to eat breakfast. Or get a Master's degree.

And pray for a post-Christmas miracle.

(Or Post Christmas miracle, as far as cereal is concerned.)

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Benny you failed at a job where your only responsibility was putting things into a box.

If you think you'd be a successful professor you're a loving idiot and all your students would hate you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Or even terminal Master's programs.

Not to mention Benny's technical challenges with writing formal English.

As for working as a librarian, good loving luck with that. I know people with Ph. Ds and MLISes from fancy schools who are thrilled to have part-time library work and make the rest of their rent money at Whole Foods.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 26, 2013

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

You're right, but a librarian with a masters won't have to deal with a lot of that as they would often be hired in an archival post that doesn't require communication with the general public. That's why libraries hire dorks like me as library assistants to deal with threats, complaints and general gopher work. I'm basically a shop assistant that rents books and my job description does not include the word Librarian at any point.

My grandma was a Branch Manager before she ultimately retired, so she was the point of escalation for a lot of this kind of thing. She and I had a pleasant conversation about her experiences this afternoon, so thanks, Benny! :3:

All of this stuff is hypothetical. Benny doesn't appear to have a plan for how to pursue this type of degree or pay for it.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

I was a reference librarian with a MLIS and I wound up doing a little bit of everything, but mostly dealing with people who were very frustrated to learn that they were not as smart as they thought they were and fixing printers. It was a very rare job to get, it took me more than a year after I graduated to find a library job, and all I learned is that I never want to work in a library again. It is truly thankless work.

I quit to work in web design and make much more money.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

BrainParasite posted:

How hard would it be to get certified to teach in California? A PhD, let alone being a professor, is an unrealistic goal at this point, but you might be able to teach elsewhere.

But teaching at any level requires a huge amount of planning, time management, people skills, and STRESS, all of which do not seem to be things that Benny excels at handling. It would require more schooling, and at LEAST another several months of (unpaid!) student teaching, at the end of which Benny would (most likely) hold his certification in one of the more over-saturated subject areas, assuming he'd be looking at middle school or high school.

Benny, like pretty much everyone else is saying, you need to get into some kind of therapy to help you build life skills before you can start any kind of career. Stop looking for different paths to fling yourself at, and start looking at fixing yourself.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

curlingiron posted:

But teaching at any level requires a huge amount of planning, time management, people skills, and STRESS, all of which do not seem to be things that Benny excels at handling.

Teaching also requires that you not be astoundingly ignorant.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Okay, seriously Benny. Seriously.
I had a GPA that was a fair deal higher than yours, and I *still* had a fair amount of trouble getting into a good Master's program, much less than I would if I had shot for a PhD program, which you will need to complete if you actually want to become an actual professor. This was combined with the fact that I already had my name in an Oxford Handbook out of college and spent a year teaching public schools.
Now, I'm not saying that you can't qualify for a second-rate Master's program, but what will that get you? Even people who come out with PhD's from the highest Ivy League graduate schools have a hard time finding a job. At best, they constantly move from state to state taking up easily replaceable senior lecturer positions.
Are you ready to move from state to state after you get your PhD in around 10 years or so? You'll struggle to get even that far if you don't get your degrees from a top-tier school, or at least a school that is well-known for its excellence in your chosen field.
Am I trying to discourage you from following your dreams?
Abso-loving-lutely. If you listen to anything, listen to this: this is a terrible idea. You really should focus on getting a job and holding it for at least a year before you start thinking of anything else. Trust me.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Imagine as a reader of this thread from inception that your save, budget and work lots of overtime to send your future kids to college only to somehow find out that their English teacher you are paying hundreds of dollars a unit for is Benny.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Serious question. Are there any kind of "disadvantaged" student programmes which could be invoked?

Here, when it comes to adult entry and/or post-grad stuff it's often possible to gain entry even if you don't meet the normal criteria if you come under the "diversity" umbrella and especially if you can demonstrate you have a concrete disadvantage which can be overcome with "reasonable accommodation".

You basically have to write a "here's why I'd be a good student despite my past performance thing outlining the steps you've taken to address that disadvantage and what accommodation you'd need, but it's often possible to find different entry paths and dedicated funding if you pick the right university and the right course.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There really aren't any programs like you describe in the US. For one thing, the government here doesn't generally fund graduate studies, so the funding for most Master's and Ph. D programs comes out of university endowments or operating budgets, so they're extremely competitive, and the universities have no incentive to admit students who would find the programs exceptionally challenging. (There are government programs that fund grad work in the sciences via the National Science Foundation, but those are also super-competitive.)

In the US, the usual course of things for people who didn't do particularly well in undergrad and who want to go to grad school is to take courses as a non-matriculated graduate student (which is generally really expensive), get excellent grades in those, and use those grades and recommendations from the professors to make their application stronger than their undergraduate GPA would suggest.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 28, 2013

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AlbieQuirky posted:

There really aren't any programs like you describe in the US. For one thing, the government here doesn't generally fund graduate studies, so the funding for most Master's and Ph. D programs comes out of university endowments or operating budgets, so they're extremely competitive, and the universities have no incentive to admit students who would find the programs exceptionally challenging. (There are government programs that fund grad work in the sciences via the National Science Foundation, but those are also super-competitive.)

In the US, the usual course of things for people who didn't do particularly well in undergrad and who want to go to grad school is to take courses as a non-matriculated graduate student (which is generally really expensive), get excellent grades in those, and use those grades and recommendations from the professors to make their application stronger than their undergraduate GPA would suggest.

Well drat. There goes a few years of "Benny does grad school" entertainment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Lolie posted:

Well drat. There goes a few years of "Benny does grad school" entertainment.

We'll always has Bitcoin, though!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
If you are interested in teaching why have you not looked more closely into things like JET? Get some teaching experience, some real world living experience, and most importantly, get put of your current living situation?

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I couldn't even get Benny to sign up as an online tutor.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

bringer posted:

If you are interested in teaching why have you not looked more closely into things like JET? Get some teaching experience, some real world living experience, and most importantly, get put of your current living situation?

Yeah, someone who has trouble with executive functions would thrive in Japanese culture.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

bringer posted:

Usually I would be the first to hop aboard the "EVERYBODY SHOULD STUDY ABROAD :buddy: " train, but I think this is one of those cases where it would only end very poorly.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Thanks for the update, Benny.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I hope the job interview went well.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Uncle Salty posted:

I hope the job interview went well.

According to Benny, they always do.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Lolie posted:

According to Benny, they always do.

"The person giving the interview punched me in the face to get me to shut up. I think I got the job!"

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes and no. Depending on what program you're interested in, minority status (whatever type of minority you are) can be a factor in admissions, but with humanities programs, it rarely is. Either way, Benny is screwed.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sure there are, but they're really just for STEM majors. If you are in grad school (master's or PhD) doing any sort of biology work (zoology, microbiology, cancer biology etc) then you get paid for your work and get free tuition unless your grades are so bad that you settled for a horrible program that doesn't pay you (NEVER DO THIS). I get paid a slightly-above-minimum-wage salary to look at birds and my tuition is free. My friends in the geology and geography department get paid the same as me. So there are actually a ton of advanced degree career paths that will pay you to get your degree. Not in the humanities though, haha suckers. Basically if you're doing any sort of scientific research you can and should get paid to go to school and research it.

I will agree with you about these programs being very competitive. My adviser told me there were ~35 other candidates for my position (still not sure exactly how I pulled that off). My grant is funded through my state's wildlife department. Other funding agencies for people in my department include NSF and Fish and Wildlife Service. There are also teaching assistantships you can get, where you get paid to teach science classes one day a week at an area high school.

However,

Either way, Benny is screwed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I got a grad school stipend in the humanities. But it wasn't paid for by the US government (unlike my husband's NSF fellowship), it was paid for by the university. You make a good point that there are lots of other state and federal funding resources for science post-grad work besides the NSF!

My larger point was that the US system of funding post-graduate education is quite different from the Australian system, so the opportunities Lolie was talking about don't exist here for B- students who want to pursue graduate work in the humanities.

I think we all agree that this is the worst long-term career plan Benny has come up with to date.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I'm not sue he even knows what grad school is.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I went to graduate school in the Humanities for free, but I had a 3.9 GPA and was close friends with a professor on the admissions committee. With that GPA (and great test scores) I was still rejected from 9 out of the 12 programs I applied to. It's a complete crap shoot with everything they ask for, and with a 3.0 GPA any serious program will just throw your application away. You might be able to get admitted to a terminal MA, but you'd only be there as a source of money to fund the students who they actually care about.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Been too many posts since

Either way, Benny is screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terry_orange
Jan 2, 2014

There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.
#M.L.G.420blazeitokerz
you should recognize that you are temporarily living in "your parents" house. if i had children who weren't following the rules i was placing them under, i might act similarly.
yes this is temporary and maybe you should do your mature actions somewhere else, like at a gas station bathroom. besides that just work hard, learn from their ignorance, be happy neither of you have made any "real actions" against each other to destroy your relationship. these relationships should be maintained regardless of their religious orientation. my mom was the same way and it turned out there was something very wrong with her. or just try and integrate it into your household, start doing it more obviously and maybe break her down day by day :fap:

• Locked thread