Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tuyop posted:

Wait, they just send sacks of quarters? That's hilarious.

Yeah, just plastic sacks of quarters! What's more, standard quantities of bills are kept track of with regular old paper clips and rubber bands. (That's internally, though, until they're sold to another party. And it doesn't apply to shipments of notes from the Fed, which are strapped and franked with time/location data.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

kedo posted:

See I was thinking along these same lines, but if you discard extra material you're not actually making a smaller version of the original – you're making a physically lesser version of the original. I mean think if you were making a half-sized human, and you took out half of the atoms that made up their brain. Wouldn't there be a corresponding drop in the brain's processing power?

Deep stuff, guys. But this is all depressing news to me because it's convinced me there's no way I'll ever be able to be an innerspace explorer like I'd hoped.

Not all hope is lost.

While there are a host of reasons why we can't just shrink a person down to the size of a cell, it might be possible to have a tiny remote controlled version of you at some point in the future.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

edit I'm an idiot nothing to see here

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I use RSS feeds to keep track of sites I don't read frequently enough to keep up-to-date on, so often I'll want articles two or three months old to be in the list waiting for me to look at them, and I use more than one computer, so a web-based one would be good. Is there an online reader that lets me do that? Feedly only seems to keep articles for a month, so that's no good to me.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
http://hivereader.com/ works okay, but lacks a mobile interface.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Nessa posted:

I can't exactly recreate these drawings with coloured pencils. I've made them before, and they tend to come out a little yellowish, but never with the black lines completely turning green. I don't want to gently caress up another batch because this paper is expensive.

I think I know what your problem is and it's not the paper. What kind of printer are you using? Does it have an actual cartridge of black ink or just a cartridge of other colors? Lots of printers make "black" by mixing other ink colors together and if you look carefully at text or anything black that is printed like this, you can tell it's not black but rather a really dark green.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are blu ray's region locked? Specifically can a Canadian Blu-Ray play on a US player? I ordered a movie on Amazon and it's the Canadian version for some reason despite it being listed as the US version . Just want to make sure before I pull the wrapping off.

Not that it's relevant but it's also clearly a re-wrapped copy with water damage on the slip that Amazon (directly) sold as new. WTF Amazon? I buy stuff from you guys because I hold you to a certain standard and this is not it.

Edit: I'll leave the question up just in case, but I probably should have just googled that before posting because 2 seconds of searching says it should play fine.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 26, 2013

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
I'm working up a sci-fi story, and I'm looking to have a life-sustaining planet with a moon with an extremely elliptical orbit, which would theoretically give the planet extreme high and low tides. Is that theoretically possible, or would that throw the planet itself out of whack? (And/or have any potentially interesting effects?)

vvv Holy crap that's a lot of info. Thank you so much for the impromptu space lecture!

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 26, 2013

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

One Legged Cat posted:

I'm working up a sci-fi story, and I'm looking to have a life-sustaining planet with a moon with an extremely elliptical orbit, which would theoretically give the planet extreme high and low tides. Is that theoretically possible, or would that throw the planet itself out of whack? (And/or have any potentially interesting effects?)

It's not really the eccentricity, it's the closeness of the orbit combined with its rotation and orbit not being synchronized. Orbiting some other larger planet, like a gas giant? It'll be a young moon, because if you leave it long enough it'll end up tidally locked to its primary (like our moon is). If it's a large moon close to a gas giant it might be very volcanic, because the tides will also heat the interior (like Io orbiting Jupiter). Also, tidal forces will also act on the atmosphere, stripping it off. The gas given off by the atmosphere and volcanism can interact with the planet's magnetic field to produce strong radiation belts (also like Io/Jupiter).

If you keep the highly elliptic orbit, however, these effects would mostly manifest when the moon is in the close part of the orbit. The moon would probably retain its interior heat through the whole orbit, but there might be a "season" of high radiation or something. If the moon does somehow magically maintain an atmosphere, that would help shield it from some of the radiation (it might have pretty impressive auroras).

If you want to stick to hard SF and can use an aquatic environment, then you're sort of looking at Europa with more tides, which is further out from Jupiter than Io is.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I want to spend about $100 on a bicycle. Kids got new bikes for christmas and it's making me really wish I had one.

There are 26" mountain bikes at walmart for around $100 by Huffy, Next and Mongoose. I had a couple huffy mountain bikes when I was a kid before I got my drivers license and they were just fine.

At that price point should I do one of these? Are there "good" bike brands I could maybe find used and ready to ride for that amount that might work better/last longer?

All these bikes at walmart have spring suspension in the back, and looks like some kind of something in the fork up front. I've never had anything like that, is that a good thing? or does it cause problems?

What are advantages of a lighter non-mountain on-road bike?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I want to spend about $100 on a bicycle. Kids got new bikes for christmas and it's making me really wish I had one.

There are 26" mountain bikes at walmart for around $100 by Huffy, Next and Mongoose. I had a couple huffy mountain bikes when I was a kid before I got my drivers license and they were just fine.

At that price point should I do one of these? Are there "good" bike brands I could maybe find used and ready to ride for that amount that might work better/last longer?

All these bikes at walmart have spring suspension in the back, and looks like some kind of something in the fork up front. I've never had anything like that, is that a good thing? or does it cause problems?

Bikes made for street roads will be easier to peddle and faster with less effort. The suspension, for instance, takes energy away, but is necessary for off road biking. If you can afford the extra, get a proper road bike or touring bike that fits your frame. Totally worth it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

hoobajoo posted:

Bikes made for street roads will be easier to peddle and faster with less effort. The suspension, for instance, takes energy away, but is necessary for off road biking. If you can afford the extra, get a proper road bike or touring bike that fits your frame. Totally worth it.

Is there anything proper that I might be able to find used for cheap? do bike shops sell good brand used bikes at all? I don't even know brand names of good stuff.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Trek and Cannondale are good brands, but they can get pricey. I had a really nice Trek hybrid that I got for around $400, youll hear a lot of people say that hybrids are the worst of both worlds but I loved mine. Take a look on craigslist you can probably find a good one for under $200.

Lock it up though, mine was stolen. :(

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Why is it that so many (recent?) movies seem to have incredibly loud 'action' scenes and near-whisper dialogue scenes. I can't watch a movie unless I have the remote in my hand because I don't want the whole neighbourhood to listen in while simultaneously want to actually catch what is being said. And if I am missing something, is there an obvious solution to this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

Why is it that so many (recent?) movies seem to have incredibly loud 'action' scenes and near-whisper dialogue scenes. I can't watch a movie unless I have the remote in my hand because I don't want the whole neighbourhood to listen in while simultaneously want to actually catch what is being said. And if I am missing something, is there an obvious solution to this?

They're made to be listened to LOUD. The dynamic range is desireable in a theater.

Why they aren't mixed down differently for home distribution is beyond me.

What you are looking for is a compressor/limiter. But lots of luck on that in a meaningful way that will support surround and isn't atrociously expensive studio equipment other than in a mid to high end home theater system or a higher end TV.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 26, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Is there anything proper that I might be able to find used for cheap? do bike shops sell good brand used bikes at all? I don't even know brand names of good stuff.

Schwinn and Tasahara are two good brands, and are both pretty available. New they cost around $500 for a solid road bike, not sure what they are used.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Many TVs have volume equalization built in. Check your settings to see if yours does. It basically just makes the quiet parts louder and loud parts quieter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to disable the auto-play videos on Facebook? I looked around through the settings, but couldn't find anything.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Every parent in the world is thinking this right now - it's the wrong time to be in the market for a used bike.

The big-box $99 bikes suck. The bike shops will sell entry level bikes for ~$250-300 that will be a lifetime bike. Whether triple the cost is too much for you is a personal decision. I bought a $99 bike 15 years ago and returned it a few days later. I bought the $299 entry level Trek and it's still kicking today.

Depending on how much you like to research, craigslist and google can net you some deals. My across-product-category rule for used on craigslist is about 50% of original cost - with some looking, wouldn't surprise me if you found a $300 Trek for $150.

Also, bikes are one of those things like foundue pots and exercise equipment that everybody thinks is a good idea, and then after 3 years of zero use they like to unload cheap. If you look, you can find a killer deal on a bike with 1.2 miles on it.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

hooah posted:

Is there a way to disable the auto-play videos on Facebook? I looked around through the settings, but couldn't find anything.

I haven't found a way to disable them completely. If your on a mobile platform though, you can disable them when not on Wi-Fi which is something of a compromise.

I don't know why they thought that was a good idea to make that non-optional.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
How good are sodium acetate hand warmers? My mother has arthritis, and the cold weather is really rough on her hands, so I was thinking about getting some reusable hand warmers for her as a late Christmas present, but some of the reviews on Amazon were less than stellar. For anyone who's used some before: How long do they last? How hot do they get? Do you ever run into problems while 'recharging' them?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Diamond back bikes good? Dick's has a diamondback outlook on clearance for 150. That be a decent step up in quality over a $100 Walmart one?

Edit bought this and it owns so far in the like 3 miles I put on it before it got dark

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 27, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Sounds like you don't really need/want an awesome "nice" bike, you just want something so you can fart around in the street/driveway with your kids. I wanted a bike a few years ago because I had a friend who was into mountain biking and it sounded so cool. So I spent about $500 on a nice Trek bike and I never used it because I bought it on a whim without really thinking about why I actually wanted a bike. Then I gave it to my mom, now it sits unused in my barn because she didn't use it like she thought she would either. And I don't want to sell it because I'm retarded and keep thinking that "someday I'll ride it" but I've had it for almost 5 years and that has yet to happen.

Obviously a name brand bike will be better in a lot of ways but it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking you need the best name-brand thing when you're trying out a new hobby. Get a cheapass bike and see if you actually use it before dropping $300+ on something that might end up just collecting dust. This is just my opinion; I don't know why I ever thought I'd get $500 of use out of a bike because I am and will always be extremely lazy and really don't like to do anything that might be considered "exercise".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Motronic posted:

Why they aren't mixed down differently for home distribution is beyond me.
Well, cost, obviously. Even if the re-mixing could be done automatically, it's an extra thing to check and verify come mastering and pressing.

Namarrgon posted:

And if I am missing something, is there an obvious solution to this?
Software has solutions for this, so if it's more or less equally convenient to you to play your video through a laptop connected to the tv, that'd be the way to go, at least late at night.

Otherwise an obvious solution would be headphones. v:shobon:v

hooah posted:

Working as intended, sadly. Though I've been able to block a lot of unwanted stuff on Facebook with the AdBlock Plus and ABP Element Hiding Helper Firefox addons. I can't verify it works for this, because the autoplay videos haven't rolled out here yet.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spoggerific posted:

How good are sodium acetate hand warmers? My mother has arthritis, and the cold weather is really rough on her hands, so I was thinking about getting some reusable hand warmers for her as a late Christmas present, but some of the reviews on Amazon were less than stellar. For anyone who's used some before: How long do they last? How hot do they get? Do you ever run into problems while 'recharging' them?
In my experience the reusable ones vary from mediocre to crap. My advice is to get her a big box of the disposable kind. My boss bought us these last year and they worked pretty great for standing outside in cold rain all day. At like a buck per you can probably buy her more than enough for the whole winter.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

A better receiver and speakers will usually make this less of an issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mescal posted:

A better receiver and speakers will usually make this less of an issue.

"Better" from an audio reproduction standpoint should INCREASE the dynamic range over "worse" gear, not lower it.

"Better" from a feature standpoint of having a compressor/limiter would allow you to.....well....compress and limit the dynamic range of the audio as previously mentioned.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Motronic posted:

"Better" from an audio reproduction standpoint should INCREASE the dynamic range over "worse" gear, not lower it.

"Better" from a feature standpoint of having a compressor/limiter would allow you to.....well....compress and limit the dynamic range of the audio as previously mentioned.
If you've got a poo poo system with a muddy subwoofer and some tiny satellites, you won't have any midrange and you'd have to turn the volume up a lot to hear dialogue. A better system might help in that situation, because it might be more intelligible at lower volumes.

A better system might also not necessarily try to boost bass to the max in the way some cheaper systems would, which can help out with the neighbors.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got a $100 Amazon gift card, and a $50 American Express gift card. Can both be used on a single purchase on Amazon?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

me your dad posted:

I've got a $100 Amazon gift card, and a $50 American Express gift card. Can both be used on a single purchase on Amazon?

Yes.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Spoggerific posted:

I know it's low-tech, but I tend to just make rice pillows socks. Take a sock, fill it about half way with instant rice, and tie/sew/rubber-band it closed. Pop it in the microwave for a minute or two, and it'll retain heat for up to an hour. When it gets cool, pop it in the microwave again. People on etsy make really nice looking pillows out of actual fabric, and you might be able to find something similar at like target or walmart, but the basic technology is "fill thing with dry rice; heat; is warm."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you've got a poo poo system with a muddy subwoofer and some tiny satellites, you won't have any midrange and you'd have to turn the volume up a lot to hear dialogue. A better system might help in that situation, because it might be more intelligible at lower volumes.

A better system might also not necessarily try to boost bass to the max in the way some cheaper systems would, which can help out with the neighbors.

Exactly. On crappy speakers (built-in tv speakers for example) the quietest possible setting is actually pretty loud because you can't understand any dialog on a low volume setting.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

razz posted:

I think I know what your problem is and it's not the paper. What kind of printer are you using? Does it have an actual cartridge of black ink or just a cartridge of other colors? Lots of printers make "black" by mixing other ink colors together and if you look carefully at text or anything black that is printed like this, you can tell it's not black but rather a really dark green.

I have a printer with Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black inks. I don't think that's the problem. :/

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I keep hearing about Adult Swim's surreal, subversive and downright controversial programs but I can't seem to find them when checking out the channel (most probably that the Asian version we have is being filtered).

Can someone list the so-called shows here and leave a short blurb (or YouTube link) as to why it got that reputation?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Adult Swim has been on the air for like 12 years, that would be a long list. The wikipedia article is fairly comprehensive and accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_swim

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Disharmony posted:

I keep hearing about Adult Swim's surreal, subversive and downright controversial programs but I can't seem to find them when checking out the channel (most probably that the Asian version we have is being filtered).

Can someone list the so-called shows here and leave a short blurb (or YouTube link) as to why it got that reputation?

Sealab 2021, a pretty controversial show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvkdnsTVj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JkfPiHPsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQAmic9m50Y

There are some southerners that will tell you that Squidbillies is a very accurate portrayal of a specific region of Alabama or Georgia or something, but other than that it's pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviHOxmNtq0

Aqua Something You Know Whatever was good before it changed its name to whatever. Something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrmQM_6J9s

And then you have 12 oz. Mouse, cancelled and forgotten long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwiSp95SN_Q

Professor Brothers, China Il. and Superjail though are probably more currently relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3altsX8n6o

Home Movies was good back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajrtFVCuabg

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

me your dad posted:

Yeah, Amazon will just deduct $100 from your purchase price, then ask for a credit card number, which you can then enter. It's not that big of a deal.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
^ Thanks! I'll check those out when I get home.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Adult Swim has been on the air for like 12 years, that would be a long list. The wikipedia article is fairly comprehensive and accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_swim

Yeah, I read that entry and we do get some of those shows (Sealab, Metalocalypse, Space Ghost and Aqua Teen specifically) and didn't find anything bad about them... but then again I just skimmed through each while channel surfing so I most likely missed something.

I did read about Xavier and Moral Orel though and just from the descriptions alone, they're definitely fitting of the extreme reputation the channel has.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Disharmony posted:

Yeah, I read that entry and we do get some of those shows (Sealab, Metalocalypse, Space Ghost and Aqua Teen specifically) and didn't find anything bad about them... but then again I just skimmed through each while channel surfing so I most likely missed something.

I did read about Xavier and Moral Orel though and just from the descriptions alone, they're definitely fitting of the extreme reputation the channel has.

Superjail was, uh, I'm really not sure how to describe it. And I'm kind of glad I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Disharmony posted:

I'd also recommend checking out The Venture Brothers. It's basically the boy adventurer who gets kidnapped every week, grows up, and has kids of his own, and he treats them horribly. To be fair, Dr. Venture grew up being a child soldier, so it's kind of messed up.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 27, 2013