Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It is my firm belief that the general course of Ray's life, if not the individual events, goes exactly as Ray wills it. Ray is a Fortunate Being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Pakled posted:

Ray is a Fortunate Being.

Ray is also a straight up sexual being.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Tupperwarez posted:

I choose to see that comic as what each character thinks their future will be like. It makes sense to me that way. Only Ray would envision a future where he gets bionic ears. Only Beef would envision a future where Molly leaves him and he dies horribly. Philippe just wants to be five. Even Teodor is self-aware of his tendency to do well for a little while, then have everything slip through his fingers.
I always thought that Roastbeef's 2031 and 2039 panels implied taking medicine or drugs that were either followed by or caused a sex change. It might have been because I thought An Afternoon with Molly Sanders was set in the future. Also, maybe I misunderstood the white X over the black background meaning something different than Teodor's black over white.
Not that the comic matters since not enough things in the 2008 and 2012 panels appears to have happened to anyone, aside from maybe Philippe giving himself a hug or posing as an Olympic athlete for his newspaper.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I took it to mean that Molly left him and at that point even being dead would be irrelevant, he'd just be nothing at all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I took it to mean that he left turning into Johnny Cash for too late in life.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
It would be funny if he actually did a Beef Turns Into Johnny Cash arc because it would mean Teodor and Cornelius would be the only adult characters without an arc where they become a musician. Teodor will never be in a band, indeed.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 22, 2013

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
Cornelius did mention once playing odd time signatures in a shower with other people once, or something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I always thought that Roastbeef's 2031 and 2039 panels implied taking medicine or drugs that were either followed by or caused a sex change. It might have been because I thought An Afternoon with Molly Sanders was set in the future. Also, maybe I misunderstood the white X over the black background meaning something different than Teodor's black over white.
Not that the comic matters since not enough things in the 2008 and 2012 panels appears to have happened to anyone, aside from maybe Philippe giving himself a hug or posing as an Olympic athlete for his newspaper.

Why would your first thought be that it was a sex change as opposed to molly?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Why would your first thought be that it was a sex change as opposed to molly?
No real good reason, really. I guess I just thought that because Ray, Teodor, and Philippe's timelines only feature them (or their graves), so my head reasoned that Roast Beef's only featured him?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

satan!!! posted:

Cornelius did mention once playing odd time signatures in a shower with other people once, or something.

Plus he's got that trumpet.

Childhood drum doesn't count. Everyone got a childhood drum.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

satan!!! posted:

That was just an off–the–cuff comment about experimental college bands. :eng101:

Experimental bands formed in college, that is, not bands formed in experimental college. Although that might be kind of neat, too.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

No real good reason, really. I guess I just thought that because Ray, Teodor, and Philippe's timelines only feature them (or their graves), so my head reasoned that Roast Beef's only featured him?

Personally, I never guessed sex change, but it did take me up until a few months ago to recognize that it was Molly, and that Beef did not grow a pony-tail (after he started balding, yes I know, shhh…) It was the whole "each timeline features that specific character" thing.

If he did have a sex change, though, at least he won't have to change his legal name.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It is hell of bizarre that "sex change" was the first thing you thought of, frankly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I believe at the time of that strip Beef was the only one involved in a serious long-term relationship with a woman, therefore it would only make sense that his imagined future involved her leaving him (because he is the guy that has depression). So yeah, not really seeing the "Beef sex change" thing.

Happy Hippo posted:

It is hell of bizarre that "sex change" was the first thing you thought of, frankly.

This too. :v:

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

I dunno, I can see Beef being exactly the kinda dude whose irrational worries about the future include the possibility of not being a dude any more.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

It's some Perry Bible Fellowship poo poo in these posts.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Penis Ouija posted:

I dunno, I can see Beef being exactly the kinda dude whose irrational worries about the future include the possibility of not being a dude any more.

It seems like that would be a pretty drat simple fate to avoid.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It seems like that would be a pretty drat simple fate to avoid.
When he was merely born they thought he was probably gonna be a lady; it's not that far–fetched for Beef to worry himself stupid about that kind of thing.

But then, Beef worries himself stupid about most every kind of thing, so. v:shobon:v

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
That's a lot of steps to take to reconcile one dude's bad reading of a strip that made sense to everyone else.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I always considered that panel to the Molly because it makes sense for Roast Beef, of all people, to have a panel focusing on another person's reaction to him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ray dies: Life over. Teodor dies: Life over.

Molly leaves Beef: life over.

It's not that hard people. :confused:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

I always considered that panel to the Molly because it makes sense for Roast Beef, of all people, to have a panel focusing on another person's reaction to him.

This, plus, you know...the character in that panel looks like Molly.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

We are all skipping the fact that he also thought that the strip where beef gets to pretend to be a white trash husband was set in the future.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We are all skipping the fact that he also thought that the strip where beef gets to pretend to be a white trash husband was set in the future.

I haven't reread this strip since this weird discussion began, but I remember that being what I got out of it. Beef did one of his Things where he got to pretend to be white trash.

I got the Dark Horse books for Christmas and they're amazing. I didn't think I'd ever get them, because somehow I filed them away in my head as out-of-print and lost to Onstad's Depression, so I was really surprised to see them beneath the wrapping paper. I love the blurbs under each strip in the Ugliest Guitar book. They're like extra alt-text. I have a few of the paperback collections, but those aren't nearly as nice and feel like they're going to fall apart if I read them too heavily.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

That's a lot of steps to take to reconcile one dude's bad reading of a strip that made sense to everyone else.

Not reconciling it, so much as just commenting that I could see Beef doing that, even if it's not even close to what I got from the strip.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phy posted:

I poled my car the other day and all I could think of was Ray's Poem

Whenever you are made to compose a poem against your will for a class in high school or university or wherever, you should try to work in water-clad nymphs somehow.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm not sure if he's going to be making more Achewood books, but I've always thought that "Apocalypse and Food, Escalade and Disaster" merits using as a title, probably on the later comics when poo poo starts breaking down.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

This, plus, you know...the character in that panel looks like Molly.

All the cats look the same, save for a few small changes. That panel could have been clearer if it had both Beef AND Molly in it, with her leaving. (Beef in the foreground, Molly in silhouette with suitcases in the doorway in the background, etc.) I'm not saying that's the best way to do it (since it might have more impact that a panel in Beef's timeline is someone other than himself), but it's not like we have color/texture cues to work with in Achewood. If Molly had black hair in that panel (instead of gray, because: old), this wouldn't even be nearly as confusing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dodgeball posted:

All the cats look the same, save for a few small changes. That panel could have been clearer if it had both Beef AND Molly in it, with her leaving. (Beef in the foreground, Molly in silhouette with suitcases in the doorway in the background, etc.) I'm not saying that's the best way to do it (since it might have more impact that a panel in Beef's timeline is someone other than himself), but it's not like we have color/texture cues to work with in Achewood. If Molly had black hair in that panel (instead of gray, because: old), this wouldn't even be nearly as confusing.

There are 2 female characters in achewood. 1 is Molly, the other is Ray's mom. There is no reason to assume anything other then that it is Molly.

Goons never cease to amaze me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Okay this is all stupid. Can we talk about the time Ray had to walk home from Mexico, instead?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are 2 female characters in achewood. 1 is Molly, the other is Ray's mom. There is no reason to assume anything other then that it is Molly.

You're obnoxious. I just gave you two legitimate reasons. Molly is missing any standard gender identifiers in that panel. I see an Onstad cat in a series of timelines that have been shown to have, or be about, one character. The only character in these two strips to have another character in his timeline is Teodor (Philippe is in his timeline on the previous page). Even still, Teodor was in his own timeline image for that panel.

What I'm saying is, people being confused about Beef's timeline is less of a stretch than the elastic in yo momma's underwear.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Dodgeball posted:

What I'm saying is, people being confused about Beef's timeline is less of a stretch than the elastic in yo momma's underwear.

Looks like someone thinks he can hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It could have been Polly :downs:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's not a female character, Roast Beef just decided to grow a ponytail around the same time he got gynecomastia.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ray had to walk home from Mexico

Because Mexican people take too long gettin' in and out of cars, right!?! :argh:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

BitterAvatar posted:

Looks like someone thinks he can hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 27, 2013

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
No comic this week.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It begins.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Even if he stays five, everything else still moves on.

I like to think he's got some kind of "Jeffty is Five" situation going on, where for some inexplicable reason his TV shows new episodes of shows that were cancelled years ago, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...