Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Listerine posted:

^^^ Thanks!

No it's not. I haven't bought headphones in forever and my last pair fit my iPod so I've never had need for an adapter.

Your Grados have a 3.5mm jack, they have a big adapter on them right now making them larger. Take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Midorka posted:

Your Grados have a 3.5mm jack, they have a big adapter on them right now making them larger. Take it off.

I tried that (my old pair are SR60's) but there's no give, and according to the grado website this pair only has the larger jack size.

Just double checked, there's no screw-on adapter on this pair.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 26, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Midorka posted:

Grados above the SR80 come terminated in a 1/4" with no screw-on adapter. They're not meant to be portable, after all.

My RS-1 came bundled with the $15 floppy-cabled adapter I posted earlier, but that may have been a dealer promo.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
That's odd. Must have been a very new change because the SR80i I have from 6 months ago are terminated in a 3.5mm jack with a 1/4 screw on adapter.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yep. 60 and 80 have had a mini connector for a while, but everything above the sr80 has always been a sturdy 1/4"

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Okay, here's a pretty specific request. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a very strong wire connection to the jack. I've had some great headphones in the past but they've always, always come loose at the jack, causing audio to only come out of one ear. It's basically because I bike a lot with fitted pants, so there's a lot of pressure on the jack, and the wire gets bent every which way when I shove the excess into my pocket. So has anyone had some good experience with headphones that can take a bit of a beating, as far as the wire/jack connection is concerned?

Budget - I'm looking to stay between $25-$75.
Source - Just a basic iPhone 4s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I tend to prefer open over-ear headphones.
Past Headphones - I've owned Sennheisser HD555s and Grado SR80is and they've both got beautiful audio quality. Unfortunately because of the abovementioned "fitted pants while riding bikes" problem, their larger audio jacks place too much leverage on the iPhone port and headphone jack, and both end up being bent over time, eventually breaking. I switched over to the Koss Portapro KTC, which is Fine for sound, but the flimsy nature of the wire connection makes it bad for jamming into my pocket. The PortaPro I just got ended up with a loose connection (audio coming out of only one ear) after just one month.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly metal, as well as plenty of jazz, bluegrass, classical, and pop. If possible I'd like to go a little heavy on the bass, but I'd rather have a balanced sound than have problems in the treble. This is all overridden by the durability problems mentioned above.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about Bluetooth, or something like that Sony SRH20 adapter that keeps coming up on the last few pages? As a bonus you'd get handy volume and playback controls.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How is bluetooth? I've never used bluetooth headphones before. I could be open to it, but I worry about the sound quality and consistency.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's digital. Quality sets use quality codecs and sound pretty good. I've gotta few sets that vary in range, but they're all strong enough that I can leave my phone on a table and move about a room.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Just finished my Schiit Asgard 2 vs Magni review. Check it out!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Would this be the thread to ask for a recommendation for a gaming headset? I'm looking for a modest budget set with a microphone that will be decently comfortable, but not too expensive. My last headset was an older Logitech gaming headset that was $30 and did well for a year, until the cord broke internally and the mic stopped working.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jinnigan posted:

I switched over to the Koss Portapro KTC, which is Fine for sound, but the flimsy nature of the wire connection makes it bad for jamming into my pocket. The PortaPro I just got ended up with a loose connection (audio coming out of only one ear) after just one month.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but Koss headphones all come with a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty (check their website). You send in your headphones/the broken component and they'll send you back a replacement.

People often complain about the fragile build quality in stuff like the PortaPro (and they definitely are on the flimsy side) but they're often completely unaware of the warranty. Even if you don't take those phones out again, it's probably worth spending the time to get them fixed.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

Okay, here's a pretty specific request. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a very strong wire connection to the jack. I've had some great headphones in the past but they've always, always come loose at the jack, causing audio to only come out of one ear. It's basically because I bike a lot with fitted pants, so there's a lot of pressure on the jack, and the wire gets bent every which way when I shove the excess into my pocket. So has anyone had some good experience with headphones that can take a bit of a beating, as far as the wire/jack connection is concerned?

Budget - I'm looking to stay between $25-$75.
Source - Just a basic iPhone 4s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I tend to prefer open over-ear headphones.
Past Headphones - I've owned Sennheisser HD555s and Grado SR80is and they've both got beautiful audio quality. Unfortunately because of the abovementioned "fitted pants while riding bikes" problem, their larger audio jacks place too much leverage on the iPhone port and headphone jack, and both end up being bent over time, eventually breaking. I switched over to the Koss Portapro KTC, which is Fine for sound, but the flimsy nature of the wire connection makes it bad for jamming into my pocket. The PortaPro I just got ended up with a loose connection (audio coming out of only one ear) after just one month.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly metal, as well as plenty of jazz, bluegrass, classical, and pop. If possible I'd like to go a little heavy on the bass, but I'd rather have a balanced sound than have problems in the treble. This is all overridden by the durability problems mentioned above.

If you've had that happen to multiple sets, just a suggestion, but maybe you could find another place to put the device and use something like a velcro strip to hold the coiled excess cord so you don't have to stuff a bunch of loose wire into your pocket.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

What about Bluetooth, or something like that Sony SRH20 adapter that keeps coming up on the last few pages? As a bonus you'd get handy volume and playback controls.
I was thinking the same thing, it's "SBH20" though if you have trouble looking for it. One little caveat about volume control (at least with iPhone), it controls the source volume for calls, but not the separate app/media player volume. Not a big deal, just a little annoyance to mention. And it does have a mic on itself so you can use it to answer calls w/the play button, but the button doesn't initiate Siri/make calls.

I just got some Beats for Christmas and used them a bit last night, having a minijack on the headphones is nice for use with an adapter. I found a short minijack cable in my room, so I basically had headphone-short cable-adapter clipped on shirt, it was nice. Not as nice as pure self contained wireless headphones, but for a $35 adapter + short cable I'm not complaining.

tl;dr if you go this route get headphones with a minijack port on them. Hell go this route even if you stay wired, cause then you can replace the cable with any other cable if it goes bad, albeit that doesn't get around possibly damaging the jacks themselves. Another option might be the magnetic jack thingys, but I don't have any experience with them.

Jinnigan posted:

How is bluetooth? I've never used bluetooth headphones before. I could be open to it, but I worry about the sound quality and consistency.
I think it sounds fine but I'm not an audiophile or anything, but at least for consistency it should be fine in your use since it'll always be a short range between phone and receiver. It's more like 10-15+ ft away that you have to think about that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

If you've had that happen to multiple sets, just a suggestion, but maybe you could find another place to put the device and use something like a velcro strip to hold the coiled excess cord so you don't have to stuff a bunch of loose wire into your pocket.

I will definitely take the velcro strip idea! I am a little unsure about an alternative place for the iPhone, since there won't be too many options come summer, and more importantly, it fucks with my 1-2-3 pocket check system. But maybe I'm just being a dumb nard about it.

I'll probably get the Sony adapter, though I'd ideally like to not pay $50 for it. Any ideas on if it's on sale somewhere, or will be?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
$33 shipped from B&H on the first page of google.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been looking for some decent IEM's for running/workouts, am I best off spending the money and going with jay birds or Bose ie2's or are there other comparable IEM's for less $$$? The wireless thing with the bluebirds is appealing but it'd sure be nice if they had skip track controls on the wire so you could leave your phone in your pocket altogether.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'm getting pretty sick of my current wireless headphones (PX5's) chewing batteries and basically sounding like crap when gaming and want something to replace them. Plus if I now have to use a cable to get chat working, I may as well have a wired headset instead.

Budget: up to $150 AUD
Source: PS4, occasional mp3's on the go.
Isolation Requirements: Closed, but willing to go open as long as it doesn't let too much sound out.
Preferred Type of Headphone: On/Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: Lower Spectrum.
Past Headphones: Sennheiser PX20, HD202
Preferred Music: Hardcore, Psytrance

Basically if the HD202's had a mic so I could use them as my chat headset for my PS4, they would be perfect. I've been using the Vita IEMs for multiplayer and while they are pretty good, extended sessions start to hurt my ears. (Fit of the plugs not the volume)

I've tried the Monster DNA's and to my ears sound pretty decent, certainly a bit clearer than my current HD202's but they are about 5 years old now, though would like to see if there is any other decent headset that people are using for the PS4.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Best Buy has the Skullcandy Navigators on sale for $60. They're in the ballpark of what I'm looking for but I'm not sure about the flat pads. Those probably aren't going to provide much sound isolation, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I've already recommended the Shure SRH1540 once in the short time since I got them, and I'm gonna do it again here because they fit all of your criteria. They're at the upper end of your budget but within, and they're closed backed circumaural cans with strong isolation and excellent comfort. Bass is definitely north of neutral and has a strong presence, but it manages not to overwhelm the mids or get boomy. They sound smooth yet detailed overall, and should fit the genres you mention well. If you get a chance to try some out it's definitely worth a shot.

Checked them out on Amazon and they look great for the price! Basically $150 off MSRP on there, so I'll keep it in mind when I have the money to spend.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

[e]: Oh poo poo, what about Shure SRH1840 Professional Open Back Headphones (Black)? It's open, but an even greater deal off of the MSRP.

[e2]: Also, should I consider getting a discrete sound card for my PC? I think sound cards are largely gone due to on-board audio with modern motherboards, right? If I wanted to a top-of-the-line yet effectively priced sound card, where should I look first?

[e3]: And what kind of headphone amp? I really like Fiio so far, should I consider the Fiio E17 and/or E09K desktop amp/dock?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 27, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Best Buy has the Skullcandy Navigators on sale for $60. They're in the ballpark of what I'm looking for but I'm not sure about the flat pads. Those probably aren't going to provide much sound isolation, right?

They've gotten good reviews. I've not heard them, but if the aesthetics appeal to you then it's worth a shot.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Checked them out on Amazon and they look great for the price! Basically $150 off MSRP on there, so I'll keep it in mind when I have the money to spend.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

[e]: Oh poo poo, what about Shure SRH1840 Professional Open Back Headphones (Black)? It's open, but an even greater deal off of the MSRP.

[e2]: Also, should I consider getting a discrete sound card for my PC? I think sound cards are largely gone due to on-board audio with modern motherboards, right? If I wanted to a top-of-the-line yet effectively priced sound card, where should I look first?

[e3]: And what kind of headphone amp? I really like Fiio so far, should I consider the Fiio E17 and/or E09K desktop amp/dock?

MSRP means absolutely nothing in most cases. Never use that as a judge of how much you're saving. As for the Shure SRH1540, I've heard the Alpha Dogs from Mr. Speakers are better, but I've never heard the two to compare. The SRH1840 I've read fall flat for the price. It's not that they're bad, it's that for $500 there are many excellent proven competitors.

With that said, I'd love to hear both myself.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shogunner posted:

DJ100s are easily the best not-M50 M50. So loving good for the value (still $40 bucks on amazon wtf). Equally portable and durable too. The only qualm I have is the rather thick/heavy cable.

Do these perform better than the M-50? If so, I'll have to snag a Koss DJ100 for $40 on Amazon to temporarily replace mine, they keep fizzing and popping in the left ear.

Midorka posted:

MSRP means absolutely nothing in most cases. Never use that as a judge of how much you're saving. As for the Shure SRH1540, I've heard the Alpha Dogs from Mr. Speakers are better, but I've never heard the two to compare. The SRH1840 I've read fall flat for the price. It's not that they're bad, it's that for $500 there are many excellent proven competitors.

With that said, I'd love to hear both myself.

The Alpha Dogs look really interesting, considering they are 3D-printed apparently. What's the difference between Alpha Dog with 1/4" (6.35mm) Single-Ended Cable and Alpha Dog with 4-Pin XLR Balanced Cable?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 27, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Do these perform better than the M-50? If so, I'll have to snag a DJ100 for $40 on Amazon to temporarily replace mine, they keep fizzing and popping in the left ear.

It's probably very debatable. I haven't heard the DJ100 myself, but I really like my M50.

Aside from being one of the headphones most commonly recommended by "internet headphone people," the M50 are probably one of the most vehemently argued about as well. A lot of people really like them and a good number of people really don't.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
I am looking for a set of headphones with very good isolation. I have issues with a couple lovely neighbors with loud bass noise that is slowly causing me to go insane. I currently have a set of Razer gaming headphones that I like but do not isolate the external noises enough, since I can still clearly hear the bass noise from my neighbors while watching TV, Movies, or playing games.

I would love for one with a microphone for voice communication on PS4 and PC gaming, but it isn't a deal-breaker. Can always get a stand-alone microphone if needed.

My current direction is towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9, but from reading this thread, the noise cancelling is probably worthless for my needs.

Budget: up to ~$400
Source: PS4 controller, TV, computer speakers and directly plugged into my computer.
Isolation Requirements: As good as it can get, with heavy focus on blocking external noises.
Preferred Type of Headphone: On/Over-earm, Earbuds. Never tried IEM, but I wear ear plugs sometimes to block the noises so I probably would have zero issue with them.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced. I tend to listen to high treble and low bass.
Past Headphones: iPhone earbuds, Razor gaming headset
Preferred Music: Almost everything.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For maximum isolation iem's are always going to be the way to go. I think bass is the hardest thing to isolate though. Etymotic are usually regarded as the most isolating, but they go waaay far into your ears and can be uncomfortable for some. I have a set with custom molded sleeves that make them amazingly comfortable.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Agatsu posted:

Okay so I have narrowed down what I am looking for, I think.

A local audiology place is a provider for Westtone- http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-or-universal.html

And they do molds for 20$ per ear. Sounds good! (PUNZ)

So my next question is - has anyone had any experience with this brand, good/bad whatever - and whats a decent driver to get for my situation? That being, I am a drummer and I want something I can block out the noise of my playing, but be able to listen back to studio level stuff (I have my drums micd up, mixed back in, sometimes I mix in music, that sort of thing). I want a decent low end on them, to hear my kick. Per budget, trying to keep things reasonable, so under 200$ would be nice. Under 150$ would be awesome! Editing to add - $300-350 or around there is acceptable budget - this is an xmas present from my mom. Listen to Mr. T, treat yo momma right. She might get you some super nice IEMs for xmas if you do.

Thanks for any info guys, much appreciated.

Am I asking the question incorrectly here, or did I offend yalls somehow. Gettin no love in this thread. Any IEM peeps wanna respond? Still considering the Westone 3s.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there are that many regulars in this thread and there are a whole lot of people asking questions so stuff gets unanswered all the time. Try the head-fi forums--there are some huge comparisons there and you're way more likely to find someone who has experienced the iem's you're looking at.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Agatsu posted:

Am I asking the question incorrectly here, or did I offend yalls somehow. Gettin no love in this thread. Any IEM peeps wanna respond? Still considering the Westone 3s.

Westone's an excellent brand that's been around for quite a long time, and they make excellent headphones. I'm sure they'll do you right if that's the route you choose. If you're using it for stage use, definitely spring for custom moulds if you can - it's not so much isolation as long-term comfort.

I hate to say it but Head-Fi would probably be a better source of info because there are a lot more users there and "premium" universal IEMs aren't that common.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At this point, I'm considering just going for a Bluetooth adapter like the Sony SBH20 but I'd rather not deal with the loss in sound quality and the need to charge another device.

I'm going to vouch for the SBH20, sound quality is excellent and it is small, light and has decent battery life. Apparently Bluetooth now encodes at 384kbps so it probably is less compressed than your source.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to vouch for the SBH20, sound quality is excellent and it is small, light and has decent battery life. Apparently Bluetooth now encodes at 384kbps so it probably is less compressed than your source.

Cheers for that. All of the music that comes out of my iPhone is either from iTunes Match or Spotify (albeit at the highest setting), so I guess the BT stream really wouldn't be the weakest link here.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
Looking to buy some new IEM's after being stuck with standard iPod earphones for like 5 months.
I had a pair of soundmagic's (maybe E10's, I'm not sure) for around 10-12months before, I was very happy with the sound quality but they broke.
I'm planning on using whatever I buy everyday for traveling and lying in bed. Would like something that will hold up to daily use and not get destroyed.

I was looking at what RHA has available, is there any significant differences in sound quality between the MA350, MA400 and MA600? These are all in my budget range, so if there's something better for the same price I'd like to know.
Also, can anyone attest to durability and comfort?

Budget: < ~£50
Source: Sony NWZ-S638F Walkman, My laptop,
Isolation: Traveling, so would like decent amount of isolation.
Type: IEM
Tonal Balance: Would prefer something with a balanced range of sounds and clear but non overpowering bass.
Preferred music: Death Metal and Hip-hop

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Gently KRS posted:

Looking to buy some new IEM's after being stuck with standard iPod earphones for like 5 months.
I had a pair of soundmagic's (maybe E10's, I'm not sure) for around 10-12months before, I was very happy with the sound quality but they broke.
I'm planning on using whatever I buy everyday for traveling and lying in bed. Would like something that will hold up to daily use and not get destroyed.

I was looking at what RHA has available, is there any significant differences in sound quality between the MA350, MA400 and MA600? These are all in my budget range, so if there's something better for the same price I'd like to know.
Also, can anyone attest to durability and comfort?

Budget: < ~£50
Source: Sony NWZ-S638F Walkman, My laptop,
Isolation: Traveling, so would like decent amount of isolation.
Type: IEM
Tonal Balance: Would prefer something with a balanced range of sounds and clear but non overpowering bass.
Preferred music: Death Metal and Hip-hop

The RHA MA350 and MA450 are the same set of headphones but the MA450 comes with a microphone and a bigger selection of tips. I've only had a short demo with the MA450 but it was quite enjoyable to me. It would probably suit you well and they're very well built. I've not heard the MA600. Feel free to be the guinea pig, though (RHA's IEMs seem to be pretty well received).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a trip to Florida coming up (12 hour plane ride, yay!). My HD598's aren't exactly the best for public transport due to terrible isolation, so I'd be looking for a recommendation for IEMs or sealed cans. I figure IEMs will probably give me a better price:performance, but I'm open to anything, really. I have a $100 gift card to Amazon, and I'd like to keep it around that mark. I generally prefer a flat response, and listen to tons of different music genres. I will be using my HTC One with these, but I have a Fiio e17 that I can use as a portable amp, so feel free to recommend cans with a higher impedance, if necessary.

Good, clear sound is a huge deal for me, so I'd like to avoid anything that sounds muddled.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I have a trip to Florida coming up...IEMs...

TDK BA200. Amazon proper has them for $150 but there are independent sellers on there listing them for as low as $100.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

TDK BA200. Amazon proper has them for $150 but there are independent sellers on there listing them for as low as $100.

It has to be Prime eligible, since I'm leaving the 2nd of January, and used headphones are okay, but I don't think I can do used IEMs (eew).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

It has to be Prime eligible, since I'm leaving the 2nd of January, and used headphones are okay, but I don't think I can do used IEMs (eew).

Tbh, I was surprised that the BA200 were $150 on Amazon (last time I checked, they were $120).

I'm not sure about alternative "good" IEMs within that range, but I just used a $20 pair of Meelectronics M6P on some flights this past week and they were totally adequate. The triple-flange tips sealed quite well- waaaay better than the iPhone EarPods I was also traveling with. The sound quality won't be anything to write home about, but if the point is to save your hearing while competing with aircraft noise, then these might be good "travel phones" to bring along. They also come with a nifty hard case that takes up almost no room in your bag, so you could feasibly bring the Sennheisers too if you want something better for when you're off the plane.

Other than that- maybe the ATH-M50? :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Tbh, I was surprised that the BA200 were $150 on Amazon (last time I checked, they were $120).

I'm not sure about alternative "good" IEMs within that range, but I just used a $20 pair of Meelectronics M6P on some flights this past week and they were totally adequate. The triple-flange tips sealed quite well- waaaay better than the iPhone EarPods I was also traveling with. The sound quality won't be anything to write home about, but if the point is to save your hearing while competing with aircraft noise, then these might be good "travel phones" to bring along. They also come with a nifty hard case that takes up almost no room in your bag, so you could feasibly bring the Sennheisers too if you want something better for when you're off the plane.

Other than that- maybe the ATH-M50? :haw:

I have some cheapo IEMs that I could use. I just want to invest in a good pair of IEMs/closed cans. If I can't get that in my budget, I can probably stretch it up to $200. Just... don't tell my wife.

Edit: There's a pair of "Like New" used BA200's on Amazon Warehouse. I could probably deal with those (after giving the tips a thorough cleaning) if the sound quality is worth the money. Is it up there with the HD598's? I'm honestly getting the upgrade itch with my Sennheisers, so if they aren't up to at least that level, I'd probably either go up a step or wait until I have a bigger budget.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 29, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I have some cheapo IEMs that I could use. I just want to invest in a good pair of IEMs/closed cans. If I can't get that in my budget, I can probably stretch it up to $200. Just... don't tell my wife.

Edit: There's a pair of "Like New" used BA200's on Amazon Warehouse. I could probably deal with those (after giving the tips a thorough cleaning) if the sound quality is worth the money. Is it up there with the HD598's? If not, I'd probably either go up a step or wait until I have a bigger budget.

Are there no new BA200 on Amazon (I'm on my phone so I might be seeing this wrong, but the Amazon app says there are and that they're Prime eligible)?

As for their relative quality, Midorka posted a decently-sized review earlier in this very thread and has been generally raving about them. Word is they're some of the best IEMs on the market for under $200 and are competitive with ones that cost way more. I don't really have enough experience with $200+ IEMs to give you a better response though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The BA200 sounded like everything I read about the HD650. A user who commented on my review confirmed my suspicions. I highly recommend them. As for used IEMs, the only thing that would be gross is uncleaned tips.

As for another opinion, joker, one of the biggest experts on IEMs, recently got them and said they're quite nice. He's going to give them a full review soon.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ended up getting the "Like New" used BA200's. I guess I can clean the tips with rubbing alcohol or something. Ended up having to spring for 1 day shipping to make sure they got here on time. Went over my gift card by 3 bucks, so not a bad deal.