Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

SombreroAgnew posted:

Also that article says Tuvok is "half-black, half-Vulcan" and unless I missed something I'm pretty sure that's not the case?

Pretty sure Tuvok is all Vulcan, unless they were trying to imply his characterisation was half-black, half-Vulcan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Pretty sure Tuvok is all Vulcan, unless they were trying to imply his characterisation was half-black, half-Vulcan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHGMtwS83k&t=43s

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I don't know-

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I really like the fact that there are various ethnic subgroupings in alien societies. It makes them seem less like a "Planet of Hats" and a bit more like an actual society. It'd be nice to see more diversity among, say, Klingons, or Bolians, and such. The kind of lame thing is that they had to make Tuvok's wife the same ethnicity as Tuvok himself-- kind of like how Sisko could only have dated Kasidy Yates. I guess interracial marriage wasn't as accepted as it is today.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WampaLord posted:

DS9 owns and Damar owns

I had no idea how right I was with this. I'm about halfway through the 9-part DS9 finale, and it's definitely been too long since I watched this show, because holy poo poo I completely forgot about Damar betraying the Dominion and starting the Cardassian rebellion.

I also forgot about Ezri and Worf's :pervert: subplot. I love how Worf brings up the "Uhh, isn't this a big Trill no no?" and Ezri goes "Yea, whatever, I'm sure you break Klingon rules all the time."

Deep Space 9 manages to take itself so much less seriously than TNG and yet the stakes are much higher. It's nice seeing emotions being displayed on a frequent basis too, it felt like Data wasn't the only one incapable of emotion on the Enterprise.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

DrSunshine posted:

I really like the fact that there are various ethnic subgroupings in alien societies. It makes them seem less like a "Planet of Hats" and a bit more like an actual society. It'd be nice to see more diversity among, say, Klingons, or Bolians, and such. The kind of lame thing is that they had to make Tuvok's wife the same ethnicity as Tuvok himself-- kind of like how Sisko could only have dated Kasidy Yates. I guess interracial marriage wasn't as accepted as it is today.

Of course, this is still the franchise that brought us the first inter-racial kiss ever broadcast on American television.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DrSunshine posted:

I think I mentioned before in the thread where that might well have been Brook's input.

When you think about it though, it's kind of a tightrope where you can fall off either side.

An uncharitable read of a black love interest for Sisko is like you said that it's sending an "anti-miscegenation" message. But giving a black lead a white love interest could be uncharitably interpreted as "a successful black man should 'trade up' to a white woman, black women are less desirable."

Really they should have avoided the whole complicated mess by giving him a gay Thollian romance.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Avery Brooks has the happiest laugh in the world.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Otisburg posted:

I think I mentioned before in the thread where that might well have been Brook's input.

When you think about it though, it's kind of a tightrope where you can fall off either side.

An uncharitable read of a black love interest for Sisko is like you said that it's sending an "anti-miscegenation" message. But giving a black lead a white love interest could be uncharitably interpreted as "a successful black man should 'trade up' to a white woman, black women are less desirable."

Really they should have avoided the whole complicated mess by giving him a gay Thollian romance.

American cinema also has a long history of not showing black men with white women, TV is a bit better about it but generally it's a lot more common to see a black woman with a white man.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Whalley posted:

Screw sugar, period. Use macerated prunes. Make everything a warrior's sweet.

And the Ferengi prefer masticated prunes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

American cinema also has a long history of not showing black men with white women, TV is a bit better about it but generally it's a lot more common to see a black woman with a white man.

I give Heroes Season 1 a shitload of credit for having both black man/white woman and black woman/white man interracial couples on network TV and treating is as perfectly normal. However, the less we talk about Heroes after Season 1, the better.

On topic - The entire plot with Dukat and Kai Winn is really well done. The actor who plays Dukat walks the line between "true believer" and "expert manipulator" perfectly.

E: spelling

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought a major part of the Sisko-Yates thing was that he liked her because she seemed to identify with the American South culture, which, realistically, would probably be a black lady.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I actually like Mulgrew, it's just Voyager gave her such tepid material that I feel she ended up on auto-pilot after a while.

You could say that about the entire cast. There were a couple times Chakotay got some meat and drat did he chew on it like a starving dog.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sash! posted:

I thought a major part of the Sisko-Yates thing was that he liked her because she seemed to identify with the American South culture, which, realistically, would probably be a black lady.

Didn't she have old African art in her ship too? Or am I conflating it with Sisko's collection?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't she have old African art in her ship too? Or am I conflating it with Sisko's collection?

All I know is she can't cook worth a drat.

:argh: "My peppers!"

I can't really blame her for that, if I had a replicator I wouldn't know how to cook either.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SombreroAgnew posted:

When Janeway gets going and nerds out it's really great. I loved the idea of having a science officer turned captain and I think she probably could have made a run for my favorite if she was given even half the consistency and development of Picard or the Sisko.

One of the reasons Janeway is my favorite captain is her rampant curiosity. Also doing poo poo like jumping off bridges with DaVinci.

Otisburg spent Christmas down here and, in what I hope is the beginning of a new Christmas tradition, we watched some bad Trek. Move Along Home and Spock's Brain. I hadn't seen the latter before and it's amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One of the reasons Janeway is my favorite captain is her rampant curiosity. Also doing poo poo like jumping off bridges with DaVinci.

Otisburg spent Christmas down here and, in what I hope is the beginning of a new Christmas tradition, we watched some bad Trek. Move Along Home and Spock's Brain. I hadn't seen the latter before and it's amazing.

I kept shushing this motherfucker when I thought it was getting to the "BRAIN AND BRAIN--" line because that poo poo is not to be missed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I kept shushing this motherfucker when I thought it was getting to the "BRAIN AND BRAIN--" line because that poo poo is not to be missed.

WHAT IS BRAIN?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't remember any art, but the name of her ship is the Xhosa.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just watched Spock's Brain out of morbid curiosity, and I have to say that while it was certainly not as good as some of the other TOS eps I've seen, there are a ton of little tidbits about it that mark it as sci-fi in a way that later Treks just don't ever seem to even want to try to recapture.

- The whole first two or three minutes of the episode, there's no dialogue, not even any music. It's just a day on the bridge, where everyone's silently doing their job. Finally they start making little muttered comments about the approaching probe, but it doesn't sound like dialogue—just facts and data, like people in Mission Control. TNG never did anything like that; every word out of someone's mouth sounded like part of an overrehearsed opera.

- Lots of talk about the tech levels of the three class-M planets, sounding like it's out of some kind of brain-teaser. You expect to be reading about it in a book, and at the bottom of the page it says WHICH PLANET DO YOU CHOOSE? 3 (page 45), 4 (page 56), OR 6 (page 113)?

- Chekhov heats up a boulder with his phaser for warmth. Again, no comment, no technobabble; he just says "We may as well be comfortable", shoots a rock and it glows red, and they all gather around it like it's a campfire.

- The wonder in Scotty's voice as he talks about ion drive. It sounds genuine, like it's a real exciting thing.

- Bones' lie-detector tricorder thingy is accepted as read, without any preamble or explanation. No Troi needed.

- Same thing with the control helmet thing on Spock. You just sort of accept it and that it does what it does.

- "science will triumph" :haw:

- There's this presumption that Spock's brain, being advanced and all, can do things like send homing signals that can be received and followed.

- Spock's description of his circumstances (pumping blood, breathing, etc) is written like an Asimovian riddle; you're supposed to feel smart for being let in on the idea that these functions are analogous to the mechanical systems of a life-supporting environment.

- Spock directing his own live brain surgery is :laffo: yet somehow endearing in its childlike optimism about what future science might be like.

- Off-topic, but ending with Spock babbling excitedly about the civilization of the planet like a Data who won't shut up is a very silly stretch of character for the sake of an "I shouldn't have reconnected his mouth" joke.

Yeah, it's pretty bad as gripping prime-time TV drama goes, but I think there's a very unique "on the verge of discovery" flavor to it that it's a shame is missing from later, post-space-race Treks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ya, you articulated why TOS is still considered Best Trek by many people. I would be one of them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LooseChanj posted:

You could say that about the entire cast. There were a couple times Chakotay got some meat and drat did he chew on it like a starving dog.

I would pay to see Beltran's reaction when they gave him the 'magical native Americans' episode. Probably threw over the water cooler, cursed the gods, then checked his online bank account, sighed, and went to rehearsal.

The medicine wheel/vision quest stuff also probably raised his blood pressure to dangerous levels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

I would pay to see Beltran's reaction when they gave him the 'magical native Americans' episode. Probably threw over the water cooler, cursed the gods, then checked his online bank account, sighed, and went to rehearsal.

The medicine wheel/vision quest stuff also probably raised his blood pressure to dangerous levels.

Out loud it was probably professional. Inwardly it was probably something like this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LooseChanj posted:

Hmm. Intriguing, I'd like to see that -- which episodes does he get to show off his acting chops?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The one with the mutiny holonovel. He's pretty arch in that!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm. Intriguing, I'd like to see that -- which episodes does he get to show off his acting chops?

I forget, but I remember there were one or two where he showed a little depth.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

Out loud it was probably professional. Inwardly it was probably something like this.

It's good to know that even the actors in the trenches knew how pointless and stupid it was to keep Voyager completely unscathed for seven seasons. Like holy poo poo, the Reset Button is frustrating to viewers, imagine acting it out week after week and struggling to elevate it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

I really like the fact that there are various ethnic subgroupings in alien societies. It makes them seem less like a "Planet of Hats" and a bit more like an actual society. It'd be nice to see more diversity among, say, Klingons, or Bolians, and such.

Trill had Forehead Trill and Spotty Trill, right? :ninja:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah woah woah. I just found out that cute ensign in Engineering for like two episodes was also the 3 titty lady from Total Recall. :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Woah woah woah. I just found out that cute ensign in Engineering for like two episodes was also the 3 titty lady from Total Recall. :psyduck:

Holy--

I guess things went downhill for Sonya Gomez after she left the Enterprise to start a new life on the colonies... :smith:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Starfleet H&S, you do some work in engineering and the leaking warp radiation leaves you growing additional body parts all over the place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
I love Trek alien redesigns, and these are pretty good. (Be advised: Alien cocks). The Betazoid redesign would make every Riker/Troi interaction pretty hilarious.

http://laurelhach.tumblr.com/tagged/redesigns

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SombreroAgnew posted:

I love Trek alien redesigns, and these are pretty good. (Be advised: Alien cocks). The Betazoid redesign would make every Riker/Troi interaction pretty hilarious.

So, Deanna becomes Jar Jar Binks?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Did someone purposely misalign the targeting sensors?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
If anyone has Sins of a Solar Empire this recently came out, it's pretty good - http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So, I finally, finally got to Best of Both Worlds for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. I was kind of worried about it, because Trek folks have been telling me about how awesome this episode is for years, but it held up its end of the bargain. God drat that was some good television.

I couldn't help but think of the conclusion in the light of more recent sci fi, though, or even DS9 at its darkest. A captain with privileged information gets assimilated by an unstoppable enemy bent on the destruction of civilization as we know it, and then suddenly, neatly "unassimilated"? Debrief that guy and then shove him out the nearest airlock. Or, ship him to some distant third world country starbase where the CIA Section 31 Starfleet Intelligence can keep chatting with him for the next few years. It just seemed like they let ol' Picard off easy for the danger he represented/continues to represent. But I'm probably just speaking as a cynical, post-9/11, post BSG viewer. :smug:

Just saw "Remember Me," and I was really digging it. It struck that Philip K. Dick psycho-sci fi note that I love so much. It helps that they tried to do something with Beverly Crusher, whom I still think gets left in the lurch way too often. I dunno.

Oh, and I just started looking into the Star Trek Attack Wing game. I'm hosed if I find a couple folks around here that want to get into it. Finding opponents is the only thing keeping my wallet in my pocket at this point.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SombreroAgnew posted:

I really like the Jem'Hadar redo, and the Bajorans.

Railing Kill posted:

Oh, and I just started looking into the Star Trek Attack Wing game. I'm hosed if I find a couple folks around here that want to get into it. Finding opponents is the only thing keeping my wallet in my pocket at this point.

If you have any local game stores, they might be doing Organized Play events.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Railing Kill posted:

So, I finally, finally got to Best of Both Worlds for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. I was kind of worried about it, because Trek folks have been telling me about how awesome this episode is for years, but it held up its end of the bargain. God drat that was some good television.

I couldn't help but think of the conclusion in the light of more recent sci fi, though, or even DS9 at its darkest. A captain with privileged information gets assimilated by an unstoppable enemy bent on the destruction of civilization as we know it, and then suddenly, neatly "unassimilated"? Debrief that guy and then shove him out the nearest airlock. Or, ship him to some distant third world country starbase where the CIA Section 31 Starfleet Intelligence can keep chatting with him for the next few years. It just seemed like they let ol' Picard off easy for the danger he represented/continues to represent. But I'm probably just speaking as a cynical, post-9/11, post BSG viewer. :smug:

Just saw "Remember Me," and I was really digging it. It struck that Philip K. Dick psycho-sci fi note that I love so much. It helps that they tried to do something with Beverly Crusher, whom I still think gets left in the lurch way too often. I dunno.

I feel like it's an important tenet of the Federation that whatever horrible things you do when you're being mind-controlled or assimilated or under the effects of a weird alien virus or whatever aren't your fault— see also when Garak killed all those guys on Empok Nor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Thom12255 posted:

If anyone has Sins of a Solar Empire this recently came out, it's pretty good - http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

If you like that you should check out Armada 2's post-Dominion War 'super total conversion' (Star Trek: Fleet Operations) that has been stable and seeing ongoing development for years now: http://www.fleetops.net/info/about

• Locked thread