Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

So it seems like the interviewer kinda reached for that one.

I agree, though I think if you handed pen and paper to a random demo of people walking on the street and told them to draw Wonder Woman, you'd get more over-sized semicircles than anything else.

Gadot is an inspired choice in my mind, and I think she'll be a presence once the cameras start rolling. She never stood out in the FAST franchise, though to not slip into the background when surrounded by such big stars is a talent, and she'll be a fabulous compliment to the capes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I, too, am bothered by how male superheroes in movies don't have torsos in the shape of triangles.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ufarn posted:

Gadot could have answered all concerns by punching the guy in the face.

Character acting is a lost art.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ufarn posted:

I, too, am bothered by how male superheroes in movies don't have torsos in the shape of triangles.

Well, Chris Hemsworth is pretty dreamy...

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ufarn posted:

Honestly, Henry Cavill's receding hairline distracted me all through MAN OF STEEL.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

This is something that actually happens a ton in the cosplay community, because since they don't have the benefit of Hollywood costume designers a lot of them wind up using spandex which is a fabric whose main draw in the real world is being skintight yet obscuring enough to not look immodest. So guys who dress up as superheroes are almost constantly criticized for not being buff enough or having enough definition even though Arnold Schwarzenegger himself couldn't put a dent in spandex.

Apples and oranges to what women go through, of course, but I'm a big fat nerd with an interest in costuming so :goonsay: away.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

A lot of people don't realize that even movie costumes that are done to be more spandex like have enhancements in them. The costumes in the Raimi Spider-Man films (and I assume the Webb ones too) had little silicone "chicken cutlet" pads sewn in throughout the suit to provide more muscle definition even though Tobey Maguire was in really great shape for the role.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wonder Woman wears either a bustier (sic) or breast-plated armor, anyway, meaning that's a really non-question since anyone slightly below average and above can play her.

If it was POWER GIRL, who wears, like a normal low cut top and just lets the giant puppies flop around, I could possibly see the question, but, Wonder Woman?!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Of course the Batman movies went the sculpted body armor look, at the cost of making the suit really immobile.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm one of the people who thinks Gadot's look is wrong for the role (more importantly her lovely acting is wrong for the role, though) and her tits never entered into it for me. The fact that she looks like she'd blow away in a strong wind is more my concern.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why do comic book movie stars (maybe other movie stars) do anything besides high-volume weight training and tons of eating followed by a cutting period when they're trying to get in shape for a role? Seems awfully inefficient to do 5 different Martial Arts for your training regimen, or any of the endurance stuff Jim Jones has actors do.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Narciss posted:

Why do comic book movie stars (maybe other movie stars) do anything besides high-volume weight training and tons of eating followed by a cutting period when they're trying to get in shape for a role? Seems awfully inefficient to do 5 different Martial Arts for your training regimen, or any of the endurance stuff Jim Jones has actors do.

I think the martial arts work will make any stunt work the actor does that much more believable?

It's a way of learning how to move your body differently.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Narciss posted:

Well that's exactly what Cavill did for Man Of Steel. If there's a conditioning phase it might be to get them ready for long shooting days. The martial arts stuff... I dunno. Maybe it's to make them look more fluid when doing fight choreography. The Matrix kicked off the "send movie stars to kung fu boot camp" trend but I can't imagine Wonder Woman's going to be doing any Yuen Wo Ping stuff. Maybe it's just to get into character.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm one of the people who thinks Gadot's look is wrong for the role (more importantly her lovely acting is wrong for the role, though) and her tits never entered into it for me. The fact that she looks like she'd blow away in a strong wind is more my concern.

Well normal people, unlike comic book nerds, have no problem putting on muscle in the right conditions, so I'm sure she will be fine for the role.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Well normal people, unlike comic book nerds, have no problem putting on muscle in the right conditions, so I'm sure she will be fine for the role.

She's got a really small frame, like most models do. She also still has a career as a model. I kind of doubt she's going to do the type of massive weight gain that will completely offset that and make her look anywhere near as huge as WW should.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What happens is the movie studio controls what you eat for like the next year of their lives and people can look like anything. IIRC Chris Pratt was like 40 pounds overweight before he got the Zero Dark Thirty or Guardians job.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

What happens is the movie studio controls what you eat for like the next year of their lives and people can look like anything. IIRC Chris Pratt was like 40 pounds overweight before he got the Zero Dark Thirty or Guardians job.

Real men have curves :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

She's got a really small frame, like most models do. She also still has a career as a model. I kind of doubt she's going to do the type of massive weight gain that will completely offset that and make her look anywhere near as huge as WW should.

I know nerds have low opinions of models and women on top of that, but do you really think that an actress cast as Wonder Woman in the upcoming MegaMovie and future franchise Batman VS Superman is going to think, "no, I better not gain too much muscle for this. I don't want to abandon the horribly sexist and abusive modeling industry."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheJoker138 posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

As slender as she is now, her body frame isn't all that small:

She actually has a pretty good foundation to build from in my opinion. And I'm like 95% sure she's working out with Gym Jones, possibly under guidance of Mark Twight (the crazy mountain climber who got Cavill into shape for MoS). Gadot is gonna be yoked. And come on, the sample size of her work isn't big enough to call her acting lovely. She was serviceable in the Fast and Furious films for what little screen time she had.

[edit] Keep in mind those are behind the scenes photos of a shoot, so I don't think they're photoshopped other than like a typical saturation tumblr filter or whatever.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 27, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to punch the guy who asked about her boobs in the face. She's as close to perfect physique as I've ever seen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm going to be disappointed if she's not at least Hugh Jackman-sized for the movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

teagone posted:

As slender as she is now, her body frame isn't all that small:

I'm surprised you didn't take this as another opportunity to post about that girl you wish had got the role.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She's also former IDF, so getting in shape probably isn't going be an issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised you didn't take this as another opportunity to post about that girl you wish had got the role.

Debicki could would have been massive, seeing as her frame is actually pretty broad. At 6'3" she would have looked ridiculously amazing. I'm happy with the Gadot casting though. My apprehensions were more behind the writing/inclusion of the character into a Batman/Superman film, but the Argo writer coming in to refine Goyer's poo poo has quelled that for the most part.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

I know nerds have low opinions of models and women on top of that, but do you really think that an actress cast as Wonder Woman in the upcoming MegaMovie and future franchise Batman VS Superman is going to think, "no, I better not gain too much muscle for this. I don't want to abandon the horribly sexist and abusive modeling industry."

It was more thinking she might not want to abandon her established career for one that has so far consisted of being the worst actor in the Fast and Furious franchise and being cast as a role no one knows is how big in a movie that has an extreme amount of negative buzz around it. But yes, it's because I'm a sexist and think she's an idiot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The woman's body.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The woman's body.

Is.... is that it?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Neowyrm posted:

Is.... is that it?

If you're asking if there's anything to life if a bunch of nerds are talking about how a woman should specifically change herself physically for a comic book movie, I've been asking that question myself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPFortest posted:

If you're asking if there's anything to life if a bunch of nerds are talking about how a woman should specifically change herself physically for a comic book movie, I've been asking that question myself.

I don't think this has anything to do with her being a woman though? If they cast DJ Qualls as Superman I'd be wondering if the dude could put on the weight, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why is this always a topic? These aren't people who are worried that their gym membership is going to go to waste because after a day at the office and then coming home to walk the dog and take care of the kids they just don't have the time or energy for working out. The actor's job during the early going is literally to get in shape. They are being told what to eat, how high to jump, and how many laps to run, and whenever the script is finished they'll be reading it every spare moment. She'll be in superhero shape, and if she isn't then it was because Snyder decided it, not because she didn't eat her Wheaties.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with her being a woman though? If they cast DJ Qualls as Superman I'd be wondering if the dude could put on the weight, too.

So what you're saying is you know the exact physiological makeup of Gal Gadot's body type and how it'll respond to gaining mass?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teagone posted:

So what you're saying is you know the exact physiological makeup of Gal Gadot's body type and how it'll respond to gaining mass?

No, I'm saying she looks like a super skinny model and I have a hard time picturing it. As I said before though, the real issue with her casting is that she's a terrible actress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

No, I'm saying she looks like a super skinny model and I have a hard time picturing it. As I said before though, the real issue with her casting is that she's a terrible actress.

Better than Gina Carano.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Also, she's been in what... 3 movies that mainstream audiences have seen where she had probably less than 10 minutes of total screen time? That's a small rear end sample size to judge her ability as an actress and completely write her off.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Vin Diesel practices on stilts for Groot on Fast and Furious set, Kurt Russell shows up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWN2OLstNmA#t=75

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lomzus posted:

Vin Diesel practices on stilts for Groot on Fast and Furious set, Kurt Russell shows up.

Damm, that looks like a ton of fun.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lomzus posted:

"Even though I have only one line..." Well, that answers that, unfortunately.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Answers what?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Of course he only has one line, all he says is "Groot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yannick_B posted:

Of course he only has one line, all he says is "Groot".

Only since he was burned and regrew from a sprout. He used a few full sentences in Annihilation Conquest before he "died."

• Locked thread