Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I know that story is fake... but what if it isn't? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Krad posted:

I know that story is fake... but what if it isn't? :tinfoil:

There's no way there isn't at least one Square executive who pushed for this.

And considering how bloated their FF projects are getting you can't even say they'd have a completely wrong idea.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
One good thing about II was that it gave us the SaGa series. They may not be the easiest games to get into, but I can't help but love them. Except Unlimited SaGa, gently caress that game.

II works a lot better as the precursor to SaGa than it does as part of the Final Fantasy series. The only thing it has in common with the other games is the story, which is about as Final Fantasy as they come. Though, that leads me to wonder why they didn't do more to improve the gameplay of II, considering the framework SaGa had already laid down for them. I mean, there was a reason people didn't like II when if first came out; what would re-releasing it with updated graphics and a few minor gameplay tweaks hope to accomplish?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

To be honest I'm sure at least one person at Square pushed for that, but there's no way in hell the entirety of SE execs thought "Oh hey let's take a game series that has worldwide appeal and then put it on a phone, something that would only appeal to Japan."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
*cough cough* Final Fantasy: Dimensions *cough cough* Final Fantasy: All The Bravest

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, I know the phone games that aren't the mainstream titles exist, thank you.

EDIT: In other news the scenario writer of FFX has talked about the possibilities of an FFX-3.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/final-fantasy-x-scenario-writer-possibility-final-fantasy-x-3/

Kazushige Nojima posted:

“If there’s enough demand, then we may possibly see new developments,” says Nojima on the subject of a possible third installment of the Final Fantasy X series. “I would personally like to see a sequel like X-3.”

So yeah, I dunno what they could do with a theoretical FFX-3, but if they could invent something with FFX-2, I'm sure they can do something new.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 26, 2013

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I'm playing Xenogears for the first time right now. I loved Xenosaga and always meant to give Xenogears a chance. I absolutely loved the first 10 hours, but now that I've been stuck in the Kislev Prison (and sewer) for nearly two hours, I'm starting to go mad. It's going to pick back up, right?

Also, how do you all feel about using strategy guides? With Xenogears I've felt like I've needed a lot more hand-holding than I ever did in the Final Fantasy games, so I've been using guides pretty heavily. Part of me thinks this is cheating, but the other part knows how frustrated I'd get without it.

I guess the game is just dated, a lot of my problems have come from the bad camera, jumping puzzles, and slow dialog. Beyond that I'm very much enjoying it and plan on powering through the prison scenario this afternoon.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

EDIT: In other news the scenario writer of FFX has talked about the possibilities of an FFX-3.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/final-fantasy-x-scenario-writer-possibility-final-fantasy-x-3/

So yeah, I dunno what they could do with a theoretical FFX-3, but if they could invent something with FFX-2, I'm sure they can do something new.

It seems to me that there is an inverse correlation between (time between game and sequel) and (quality of sequel) so I kind of hope this doesn't happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

semiavrage posted:

I'm playing Xenogears for the first time right now. I loved Xenosaga and always meant to give Xenogears a chance. I absolutely loved the first 10 hours, but now that I've been stuck in the Kislev Prison (and sewer) for nearly two hours, I'm starting to go mad. It's going to pick back up, right?

Abandon all hope.

Which is to say, even when it does pick back up (and it will), you'll probably find yourself wishing it hadn't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

semiavrage posted:

Absolutely. Kislev is easily the longest slog in the game. There is one dungeon later on that is easily the worst part of the game but it's only a single dungeon so it's shorter than Kislev. But apart from that dungeon, it's all uphill from Kislev. And even Kislev hs some great moments at its conclusion.

quote:

Also, how do you all feel about using strategy guides? With Xenogears I've felt like I've needed a lot more hand-holding than I ever did in the Final Fantasy games, so I've been using guides pretty heavily. Part of me thinks this is cheating, but the other part knows how frustrated I'd get without it.

I guess the game is just dated, a lot of my problems have come from the bad camera, jumping puzzles, and slow dialog. Beyond that I'm very much enjoying it and plan on powering through the prison scenario this afternoon.

I used a guide for the puzzles as well. There's one on Disk 2 that I never could figure out except by pure dumb luck.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself though!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I tried playing Xenogears again last week but the localization is just so poorly written and clunky that I felt like I was getting dumber reading it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So yeah, I dunno what they could do with a theoretical FFX-3

Judging by a fair amount of goons' response to FFX-2, how about a prequel to FFX where you get to play as Braska, Auron and Jecht?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
After listening to you guys and the general internet, I was starting to think "yeah, I guess I look at FF7 with rose colored glasses, and its kinda overrated"

Then I got to playing through VIII again, and holy poo poo it has so many problems. I guess I was high on FF coming off 7 and the intro to 8 is pretty original and cool but the story is just bleeeeergh. Plot development? Character motivations? Who needs that poo poo. We've got animu teenagers!

Went and played VII afterwards and its like a breath of delicious fresh air, sooooo much better. Sefir and Edea are like some lovely back alley knockoff of Sephiroth and Jenova missing all the substance. Ultemicia is never remotely explained. I can actually come up with my own Rinoa-Ultimecia scheme that makes a ton more sense than the ridiculous normal fan theory I've heard (3 alternate universes? Why is that necessary? Just use time travel and solve everything) but the game doesn't explain poo poo, so it doesn't matter.

Also I'm finally playing VII on the PC with mods, I tried to mod it like years ago and ended up with problems and didn't like all the inconsistencies of the art replacements (Cloud was super detailed, other supporting characters were mixed, non main characters looked normal; weird juxtaposition), but with a modern mod loader I was able to configure it to my liking; I've still got all the original menus and everything (I hate the UI redesigns) but now the game uses the battle models in the overworld (no more popeye arms!) which works surprisingly well, and higher quality soundtracks and field textures and stuff, it really updates the game in a great way. Squarenix should have bundled some of these with the Steam re-release, course that whole thing was as lazy a cash-in as you can get. They even remodeled the side NPCs to look less popeye.

Seriously though FFVI and FFVII are the high point of FF. (And FFT)

W.T. Fits posted:

Judging by a fair amount of goons' response to FFX-2, how about a prequel to FFX where you get to play as Braska, Auron and Jecht?

Wow, I was going to say that X should just be laid to rest (Not that I don't like it; I totally disagree with the haters, X was fantastic) but... you've sold me on that one. :allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 26, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The original PC release had a bug where the FMV where the Weapons first show up crashes your game if you're running at anything more than the smallest resolution (which I guess was what it ran on when it was on PSX). I hope they weren't too lazy to fix that, at least.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Went and played VII afterwards and its like a breath of delicious fresh air, sooooo much better. Sefir and Edea are like some lovely back alley knockoff of Sephiroth and Jenova missing all the substance.

I gess this is becoming a pattern with me but I don't see how these two things are the same. Seifer and Sephiroth don't really have anything in common.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They're not. Genesis is a Seifer knockoff though, so it really goes in reverse this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

I gess this is becoming a pattern with me but I don't see how these two things are the same. Seifer and Sephiroth don't really have anything in common.

:ssh: They're the villains. Seifer doesn't have much to do with Sephiroth, but Seifer doesn't have much anything. The villains in FFVIII get no explanation whatsoever.

But Seifer has mommy issues and is awkwardly loyal to Edea while being a murderous sociopath, so I think he's like a lovely knockoff of Sephiroth. :colbert:

Defiance Industries posted:

The original PC release had a bug where the FMV where the Weapons first show up crashes your game if you're running at anything more than the smallest resolution (which I guess was what it ran on when it was on PSX). I hope they weren't too lazy to fix that, at least.

I remember when I played the original PC release way back in the day, most of the FMVs were either reversed or upside down. Which was great when you had player models moving in sync with the backgrounds, like after the second reactor bombing when the one tunnel bursts with flames and everybody comes jumping out, instead they come shooting out of nowhere and jump into the fires! :haw: And the whole part with Cloud holding on and falling looked entirely wrong.

Oh, Eidos.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I remember this bug. It kept me from actually beating FFVII until I finally bought a PSX copy on eBay and played it on the PS3.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The best part is it comes after both a boss fight and what is definitely one of the three longest cutscenes in the game. It's like they planned it that way.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd be OK with this. As long as it's done well, and not like pretty much all of the XIII games.

... My confidence isn't high on that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
There's one part in FFVIII Steam where they forgot to add the hi-res model for Cid and kept the old one in, and holy poo poo does it look terribad. Like, he looks like Missingno or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

semiavrage posted:

If you loved Xenosaga, then you'll really love Xenogears. Just keep in mind that this is not a common sentiment.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

There's one part in FFVIII Steam where they forgot to add the hi-res model for Cid and kept the old one in, and holy poo poo does it look terribad. Like, he looks like Missingno or something.

Can you screenshot that? I want to see it.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It better be a game that stars Brother and Buddy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Dross posted:

Can you screenshot that? I want to see it.

I'm afraid I'd have to restart the game to get a screencap, because it's only in that one instance, and he's got the correct model in all others. If you want to see it for yourself, it's not far into the game. When Cid first appears in the Garden lobby, you'll see his hi-res model, then the camera angle will change and he'll be a horrific pixel monster.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

If I want to see it for myself I'll have to buy the game for the third time (PS1 then sold physical copies to convert to PSN) and it's Final Fantasy VIII so no.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Squallege posted:

I remember this bug. It kept me from actually beating FFVII until I finally bought a PSX copy on eBay and played it on the PS3.
Same. The developer's fix for it was "here's a save file from the save after that and about 10 more minutes of plot you can download."

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There are plenty out bits in the old games where people are rendered as part of the background aren't there? Doesn't that look really weird with model swap mods? Those are always going to be weird chubby duders

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68045/final-fantasy-x-3-a-possibility-says-ffx-scenario-writer-kazushige-nojima

Give us the prequel where we play as Jecht, Auron and Braska. Dresspheres are changed into beardspheres.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68045/final-fantasy-x-3-a-possibility-says-ffx-scenario-writer-kazushige-nojima

Give us the prequel where we play as Jecht, Auron and Braska. Dresspheres are changed into beardspheres.

Yes. YES.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would buy that twice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Play as a thirtysomething Yuna trying to find to find a career and purpose in life after a decade of Partying Hard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

If Square were smart they'd do a parallel mobile development of FFXV using the Dimensions engine and roll it into the (probably) already massive budget for the game. EA notably does this for a lot of titles and the results aren't always terrible, plus it fits in with Square's desire to shift more resources towards mobile gaming.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In this parallel universe where Square-Enix is smart, have they put the guys who localized Nier in charge of all translations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In this parallel universe where Square-Enix is smart, have they put the guys who localized Nier in charge of all translations?

8-4 has like 5 people working for them, they probably couldn't take on every project even if S-E wanted, especially because they're working for other companies at the same time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dross posted:

I would buy that twice.

poo poo, I'd buy whatever console SE wanted to put it on solely for that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'd say the smart decision would be to have absorbed Atlus when they were up for grabs and use their US Division to localize games instead of their own. I'm also saying this because I want an SMT/FF crossover dammit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

1st AD posted:

If Square were smart they'd do a parallel mobile development of FFXV using the Dimensions engine and roll it into the (probably) already massive budget for the game. EA notably does this for a lot of titles and the results aren't always terrible, plus it fits in with Square's desire to shift more resources towards mobile gaming.

Why are you advocating SE make awful games? I've seen a similar thing in the Wii U hate thread and I really don't get why end users would advocate the debasement of their own hobby like this. 'Hey kids, here's a half-assed shovelware RPG with the same pictures and names as a high budget major studio release, enjoy!'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I know what you're talking about, like in one scene he looks really pixelly? I think that's just cutting corners. It was in the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Why are you advocating SE make awful games? I've seen a similar thing in the Wii U hate thread and I really don't get why end users would advocate the debasement of their own hobby like this. 'Hey kids, here's a half-assed shovelware RPG with the same pictures and names as a high budget major studio release, enjoy!'

Who says it has to be "half-assed shovelware"? Dimensions certainly didn't feel like that to me. Hell, I'd rather play Dimensions than 13 or its iterations.