Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

If there's no gasket, I doubt it will be functional. I would just donate it to a thrift shop and buy a modern 8 qt model.

It was designed to be gasketless. It's got six or eight screws to clamp the lid down after you align the lid the correct way. I wish I could take some pictures right now, it's a dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mod sassinator posted:

If there's no gasket, I doubt it will be functional. I would just donate it to a thrift shop and buy a modern 8 qt model.

Lots of industrial pressure cookers are gasketless, so it should be totally functional.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mod sassinator posted:

uhh, there is such a thing as a gasketless pressure cooker, usually used for canning, they use sheer pressure (screws) to seal the cooker.

e: oh, there was another page to this thread.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Midniter posted:

I've been eyeing pressure cookers for a while now. I'm spending the week in CT with my family and my mom gave me an unsolicited offer of the pressure cooker she owns which I immediately accepted since she never uses it. Turns out it is a 16 quart aluminum pressure cooker, gasketless, with a pressure gauge. Pics to follow eventually. I don't even know what to do with this loving thing or how to use it. Any suggestions on something to break its cherry? After purchasing it brand new ~20 years ago she admitted she has used it literally once.
It's for canning, it's really awkward to use for anything else

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone tried one of these smoking guns?

http://www.amazon.com/PolyScience-Smoking-Portable-Food-Smoker/dp/B0082DNCHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387917404&sr=8-1&keywords=smoking+gun

The reviews on this say it's a superficial smoke, something you'd only use to finish a dish. I'm wondering if you could use it like a traditional cold smoker, putting your food in a closed chamber with the smoke and leaving it for a few hours?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

To expand on my earlier question, how has the KA Pro 600 held up for those of you who have had one for a while? Have any of you run into the mechanical difficulties that seem to have plagued the earlier production runs? Would you still get one at this point?

I have had the Kitchenaid Pro HD 5qt for 2-3 years. I use it weekly to make bread plus it gets used for a ton of other stuff (mostly baked goods, cookies, biscotti, etc). Never had an issue even with very dense doughs and girlfriends that don't understand that you don't mix heavy doughs on 8. One thing I looked for when shopping was "direct drive transmission, all steel gears, all metal construction". It's been a while but I think that the issue was related to plastic being introduced into the motors resulting in warping and slipping gears.

Would also be interested in any opinions on the smoking gun. I'm in a condo with no yard for the next few years so an indoor alternative that could at least do some smoke flavor would be awesome, especially for a hundred bucks

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

There are stovetop smokers that work well if you have a real venthood. There's also the Emson pressure smoker. My boss has one, says it's fantastic, if a little small. Really good for cold smoking.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

There are stovetop smokers that work well if you have a real venthood. There's also the Emson pressure smoker. My boss has one, says it's fantastic, if a little small. Really good for cold smoking.

That looks crazily like a modded cuisinart or aroma electric pressure cooker with an electric wood burner attached.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Anyone have experience with Henckels TruClad stuff? I can get this set for $300CAD - it'll be leaps and bounds above what I have now, but I'm just wondering how worth-it it is to splurge for an All-Clad set. I really do just want to buy one quality set and then pick up whatever else, as I need it, at whatever price point.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Sears.com has a red or green Tramontina 5.5 qt enameled dutch oven for 30 dollars. I purchased one and having my gf go torture herself by picking it up at the mall after the day after Christmas.

http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/productdetails/00807297000P?partnumber=00807297000P

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guitarchitect posted:

Anyone have experience with Henckels TruClad stuff? I can get this set for $300CAD - it'll be leaps and bounds above what I have now, but I'm just wondering how worth-it it is to splurge for an All-Clad set. I really do just want to buy one quality set and then pick up whatever else, as I need it, at whatever price point.

Haha, what is up with those handles

As far as I can tell, tri-ply/multi-clad material is The Great Equalizer of pans, and although All-Clad is still the best it's hard to go wrong with any pan that has tri-ply/multi-clad

I'd try to see if I could try it out in person though. See what you think about those handles in your hands

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 26, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Jesus those handles.

Vollrath has a tri-ply set I assume it is as good as their commercial products. i.e. fan-loving-tastic.

And this is the only goddamn skillet/saute anyone should ever need. Buy one of each size, marvel at your cooking prowess!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ordered a baking steel from a local steel supply company (ended up having to call half a dozen places, I guess you need to call a steel supply store and not a steel fabricator?)

Stainless was $180, regular steel is $45. I ordered the regular steel, I guess it should be okay as long as I season the outside, right?

edit: Also, what tool should I use to round off the edges a little?

edit the second: mill file, I guess

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 27, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Stainless was $180, regular steel is $45. I ordered the regular steel, I guess it should be okay as long as I season the outside, right?

season it yes. Regular steel is preferred from my reading to stainless. The modernist cuisine one is regular steel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This thing is uggggglaaay :)

I guess it's worth saving $55 if you don't mind spending a few hours sanding and filing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

This thing is uggggglaaay :)

I guess it's worth saving $55 if you don't mind spending a few hours sanding and filing.

I sure hope you started some pizza dough earlier...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jesus those handles.

Vollrath has a tri-ply set I assume it is as good as their commercial products. i.e. fan-loving-tastic.

And this is the only goddamn skillet/saute anyone should ever need. Buy one of each size, marvel at your cooking prowess!

How is carbon steel vs cast iron? Any major differences or points of preference?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dacap posted:

How is carbon steel vs cast iron? Any major differences or points of preference?

carbon steel is generally thinner and lighter, as you can see the handle is angled up and is long so in general they are much more ergonomic than cast iron. That said, the handle is still a rod of flat steel. in use theyre about the same. The carbon steel has a shorter preheat time because it is less massive.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey my dad gave me a 150 dollar gift card to Cook's Warehouse (yay atlanta) for christmas. I currently live in a place that doesn't actually have a kitchen and we have no venting system to accommodate a cooktop anyway. I have no idea what to buy because I can't use it until I move out. What's something I could buy in a cooking store that would actually be useful at this point in my life?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Hey my dad gave me a 150 dollar gift card to Cook's Warehouse (yay atlanta) for christmas. I currently live in a place that doesn't actually have a kitchen and we have no venting system to accommodate a cooktop anyway. I have no idea what to buy because I can't use it until I move out. What's something I could buy in a cooking store that would actually be useful at this point in my life?

A Thermapen. That will give you ~$50 to spend, so also get yourself a 12" cast iron pan, and use the rest on a nice cooking oil.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Midniter posted:

A Thermapen. That will give you ~$50 to spend, so also get yourself a 12" cast iron pan, and use the rest on a nice cooking oil.

Besides Thermapens being pretty awesome, what good would those do without a stove or oven?

That's a hard one, looking at the selection in Cook's Warehouse. They don't have rice cookers, which would be my standard recommendation (you can make lots of things in a rice cooker and never worry about smoke). I guess you could get an induction stovetop and stay with low-temperature things like poaching or braises? You'd have $50 left over if you got this, and while Cook's Warehouse doesn't seem to have a lot of induction-ready cookware below that, you would be pretty close to getting this All-Clad skillet or something similar, something with a lid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe you can just wait till you move out?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe you can just wait till you move out?

That's a ways out, I'd rather not lose it. I'll check in the actual store for a thermapen. I guess I should just be looking for something that will hold its value. Maybe a high end cutting board or chef's knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Baking steel progress report:

Filed down the edges.

Started sanding the flats, but there is a massive amount of soot coming off with no end in sight. Should I:

A) ignore, wash, season (turn to page 24)

B) keep sanding (turn to page 71)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 27, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

signalnoise posted:

Here's an interesting option: http://www.cookswarehouse.com/fagor/fagor-electric-pressure-cooker-plus.html

I haven't used one, but have read good things about them as an alternative to stovetop pressure cookers. The nice thing is it also can act as a steamer, slow cooker, or rice cooker in addition to being a pressure cooker. Since it can brown stuff in the pot I have a feeling your could use it as an electric skillet (a very small one) in a pinch too.

You could do a ton of things with that and some basic kitchen supplies (knife, tongs, spatulas, strainer, etc.). Stew, chili, pot roast, beans, etc. in the pressure cooker. Rice, steamed veggies, or other grains as a side. Heck, you could probably boil water and cook pasta or ramen pretty easily with it too.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 27, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

cooks warehouse sells wine, at least the one on peachtree

or take a Cooks Warehouse Meet-A-MILF™ Cooking Class

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
With that $150 gift card, I would personally buy a stovetop pressure cooker (much more versatile than an electric one) and an induction plate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
gently caress it, just gonna season it and hope it seals that soot in. Turned dark as hell all of a sudden, not sure what magic oil BakingSteel uses to maintain their light color.

A note to anyone else thinking about doing this themselves, consider getting 14x17 instead of 14x16, because then it will fit over two stove burners better and you can use it as a griddle. Mind just baaaarely fits. A half sheet pan is 18x13 at the top, which is comparable, so I think it wouldnt constrict airflow in your oven. (A half sheet also has flared sides which probably aid convection, so 14x18 on a flat slab might be pushing it.

Other notes: the surface is porous as hell. After washing there's still a considerable amount of water contained within, and at the beginning of the seasoning cycle the oven door was foggy. Can't imagine this not being seasoned now.

Here, take a look at all the horizontal wrinkles:

Edit: seasoning worked. Once it cooled down I rubbed it with a paper towel and nothing rubbed off.

Edit 2: okay, did some reading around. The soot that was coming off was a form of iron oxide nicknamed "mill scale." People were freaking out about it, but as far as I can tell it's fine. There might be oils on your steel which you can take off by washing with soap

Edit 3: after 2 seasoning cycles, I cooked an egg on it with no oil and it was more non-stick than my lodge cast iron. In fact, it's even more non-stick than my 3 year old non-stick pan

Edit 4: addendum! Egg practically flies off at lower temps, below 250°F. Anything higher and it will stick like a needy ex

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 28, 2013

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress it, just gonna season it and hope it seals that soot in. Turned dark as hell all of a sudden, not sure what magic oil BakingSteel uses to maintain their light color.

A note to anyone else thinking about doing this themselves, consider getting 14x17 instead of 14x16, because then it will fit over two stove burners better and you can use it as a griddle. Mind just baaaarely fits. A half sheet pan is 18x13 at the top, which is comparable, so I think it wouldnt constrict airflow in your oven. (A half sheet also has flared sides which probably aid convection, so 14x18 on a flat slab might be pushing it.

Other notes: the surface is porous as hell. After washing there's still a considerable amount of water contained within, and at the beginning of the seasoning cycle the oven door was foggy. Can't imagine this not being seasoned now.

Here, take a look at all the horizontal wrinkles:

Edit: seasoning worked. Once it cooled down I rubbed it with a paper towel and nothing rubbed off.

Edit 2: okay, did some reading around. The soot that was coming off was a form of iron oxide nicknamed "mill scale." People were freaking out about it, but as far as I can tell it's fine. There might be oils on your steel which you can take off by washing with soap

Edit 3: after 2 seasoning cycles, I cooked an egg on it with no oil and it was more non-stick than my lodge cast iron. In fact, it's even more non-stick than my 3 year old non-stick pan

Um - the black stuff is actually the metal itself (think of the metal equivalent of sawdust that you get when you sand wood). I have lots of cast iron in my workshop and when I first got the tools, I had to flatten them... exact same thing happened but I was using oil as a lubricant, so it just formed a black slurry.

It's also worth nothing that cast iron is often "gray iron", which has graphite integrated into it, so that it's "self lubricating" - that way when it's being manufactured, drilled, cut etc at the manufacturer they don't have to put lubricant all over everything, all the time. So if that's what you've got, it's probably a mix of graphite and iron coming off when you sand it, which would make it blacker.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

p sure it's steel not gray iron.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yeah, we're gonna need you to head over to the "I bring a camera to the loving TABLE!" thread and get some hash browns going.

Any idea what the European or Middle East equivalent to A36 is? I called one place and all they had was 304, and they quoted me 60BHD ($160) which is more than what I want to spend to make pizzas.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

p sure it's steel not gray iron.

whatever it is, it's not "soot" that's coming off it... he's sanding metal, and it's metal dust.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As far as I can tell from googling, the "mill scale" is made of various iron oxides, including hematite and magnetite. It acts as a temporary seasoning that prevents the steel from corrosion, but will fall/flake off on its own eventually exposing the steel to corrosion.

Several metal workers arguing back and forth on various forums say that iron oxides are not harmful, and it's amusing to read on Kenji's endorsement of the Baking Steel™ that most of the discussion is dominated by "how do I make this at home" and accusations against the Baking Steel founder for fearmongering against making your own steel:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

The main concerns AFAICT are:

1) washing it off well in case there was some non-food oil used in production

2) is filing, sanding, washing and seasoning it myself worth $50 savings

I don't mind doing it myself because I'm kind of doing this as an information-gathering exercise but some of you might feel otherwise.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 28, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

buy steel, wash steel, season steel, COOK ON IT.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I've always wanted a Thermapen but never felt like dropping that much money on a thermometer. I found this at Walmart recently for $11.
Pros: goes up to 450, initial read within a few seconds, cap clips onto back to give a longer reach, somewhat waterproof
Cons: not as immediate, probe is bigger than thermapen

After using it constantly for a few weeks at work, I'm really happy with it. Not sure if it's been recommended before but it seems like a decent cheap alternative to a thermapen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GigaFool posted:

I've always wanted a Thermapen but never felt like dropping that much money on a thermometer. I found this at Walmart recently for $11.
Pros: goes up to 450, initial read within a few seconds, cap clips onto back to give a longer reach, somewhat waterproof
Cons: not as immediate, probe is bigger than thermapen

After using it constantly for a few weeks at work, I'm really happy with it. Not sure if it's been recommended before but it seems like a decent cheap alternative to a thermapen.

That's what I use at work. It's a drat good thermo.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

That's what I use at work. It's a drat good thermo.

My coworker has that as well, thirded as a solid thermometer.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
This is like the most stupid question ever, but how do you guys clean a Microplane? I get little sticky bits of ginger or whatever on it, but scrubbing with a sponge shreds the sponge and using a brush creates a fine grind of plastic. I would rather not run it through the dishwasher, if possible.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Scrub against the cutting direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
It still shreds, and doesn't get out the bits of food still stuck in the blades. Scrubbing on the backside of the cutting surface doesn't reach the stuff on the cutting side, either.

• Locked thread