Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Did you go past the dura steel upgrade and get to X sector?

Went all the way through Impervium yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The solution to the useless mech problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaX3CKzkAuM

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
For everyone complaining about the furnaces being slow, one of the unfinished things in my mod is a laser furnace that uses the regular crafting window for instant smelting. It's placeholder art but it should be functional (by which I mean, it works for me but that's no guarantee).

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/base-in-a-box.592/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I just beat the dragon. Where do I go from here?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I just beat the dragon. Where do I go from here?

That creature capture station the star map unlocked looks nifty.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

How!?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Seconded. I wanna mechdig that poo poo yo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I hope that's what the endgame will be like. You'll get the ability to stripmine entire planets with insane machines, but at the same time you need shittons of resources or very rare resources to make top-tier stuff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pilchenstein posted:

For everyone complaining about the furnaces being slow, one of the unfinished things in my mod is a laser furnace that uses the regular crafting window for instant smelting. It's placeholder art but it should be functional (by which I mean, it works for me but that's no guarantee).

Hey, not a bad idea.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
So, the other day (I guess a week or so ago, before the most recent patch), I killed some random NPCs on a second tier planet and got a weapon with like, 120 DPS. Is that normal? Was this what they were talking about when they said they made some weapon balance changes?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Heart Attacks posted:

So, the other day (I guess a week or so ago, before the most recent patch), I killed some random NPCs on a second tier planet and got a weapon with like, 120 DPS. Is that normal? Was this what they were talking about when they said they made some weapon balance changes?

usually those only showed up on T3 and up planets

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I hope that's what the endgame will be like. You'll get the ability to stripmine entire planets with insane machines, but at the same time you need shittons of resources or very rare resources to make top-tier stuff.

I think my favorite part of that video was when the hunger bar came up.

"Getting peckish" :smug:

As they obliterate an entire planet.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Knocked out the bridge, airlock, reactor room, and captain's quarters, and started external rendering. Still have the science/medbay, main bay, and barracks/mess, the rest of the shading, and a final pass. Maybe another two or three days before it's ready for me to upload as a mod.

A general concept for my custom race that I'll probably get started on once the ship is finished. Tribal nomads that are the remnants of a lost ancient spacefaring empire. The PC manages to reactivate a ruined ship, and ship upgrades are unlocking/repairing/learning to use more of the ship rather than just straight size upgrades.
The sprite head size is pretty small in terms of how many pixels you can throw around, so this sheet is probably more useful for whatever the opening tutorial/missions/cinematic-like-thing turns out to be (check it out: [starbound dir]/assets/cinematics/[race]) but I think DUDES = (tentacle) BEARDS CHICKS = (tentacle) HAIR will be simple enough for it to read in-game.
I was originally thinking pachyderms but now maybe more like salamanders?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I am really digging this ship, the look, layout, size, you name it! The backgrounds are especially nice. Look forward to it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I'm trying to make this beam rifle but I'm having trouble working out how to do the projectile. Instead of having a bullet which shoots out I just want it to do a hitscan along where you're aiming and then tile the beam texture along that line so it'd just be like the animation I posted earlier.

Either way here's the preliminary sprite work I have for it.

And the beam animations again so you don't have to search through the thread for them.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

So my tier one weapon is pretty fun.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

NinetySevenA posted:

So my tier one weapon is pretty fun.

Works really, really well on sand, snow, slush, mud.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've got about 3 of those now.. Really wish I could find something else useful. :smith:

I just murdered an Apex facility because I ran in seeking refuge from the horde of overpowered nighttime monsters chasing me, and they attacked me instead of the monsters. I went back looking for blood (and loot). I was really disappointed.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I actually ended up teleporting into an Apex lab facility on a level 8 world.. with durasteel gear. I died many deaths before I was able to lure the guards far enough away to escape. Once I teched up I walked back in and slaughtered the lot of them. So now I have a free crazy ape lab as a base on that planet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do legendary weapons ever drop or are they just chest items?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do legendary weapons ever drop or are they just chest items?

They can drop, it is just very very rare. You're much more likely to find them on a mini boss or in a dungeon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I want there to be some kind of orbital bombardment ability. Once you've gone around the whole planet and collected all of the surface ores, just nuke off the entire top layer of the crust and do it again.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just build The Doomsday Machine from Star Trek.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there a good character editor out there? I want to change the colour of one of my characters.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I actually ended up teleporting into an Apex lab facility on a level 8 world.. with durasteel gear. I died many deaths before I was able to lure the guards far enough away to escape. Once I teched up I walked back in and slaughtered the lot of them. So now I have a free crazy ape lab as a base on that planet.

My starter world with my Hyotyl character spawned me in the middle of an Avian Temple between two gun-wielding guards. I barely was able to get out and survive.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

More capes updated with 2 new capes: Ferozium and snow

Link here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/more-capes.544/

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Lallander posted:

They can drop, it is just very very rare. You're much more likely to find them on a mini boss or in a dungeon.

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding but Dungeons are basically any large and involved structures you can find on a planet, right? I scan the thread and see frequent references to good weapon drops and tech drops from dungeons yet my last playthrough took me all the way to sector X with a couple dozen dungeons explored and I never walked away with anything beyond stimpacks, pixels, weapon drops from the NPCs, and some random furniture. Is that just getting really unlucky?

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Meiteron posted:

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding but Dungeons are basically any large and involved structures you can find on a planet, right? I scan the thread and see frequent references to good weapon drops and tech drops from dungeons yet my last playthrough took me all the way to sector X with a couple dozen dungeons explored and I never walked away with anything beyond stimpacks, pixels, weapon drops from the NPCs, and some random furniture. Is that just getting really unlucky?

I would not say really unlucky. Most of the good drops I have gotten are from NPCs in dungeons, but most of the stuff you find is not particularly great. It's really hit or miss.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

New Leaf posted:

I've got about 3 of those now.. Really wish I could find something else useful. :smith:

You won't. Bonehammers are the single best weapon in the game, nothing else comes close. Eye Swords and Water Swords are pretty good, Star Cleavers and Tesla Staves are just flat out worthless, and the only guns that are worthwhile are grenade launchers with cluster grenades, as each part of the cluster does its own damage instead of just being a percentage of the gun's base damage. Weapon balance isn't great right now, especially in the case of guns, so you'll have to wait a while for updates to bring useful weapon drops.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 26, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pilchenstein posted:

See, the thing is that I don't mind the idea of furnaces. I actually appreciate putting ore into a furnace and smelting it. However, I don't like the bullshit MMO crafting tick, it should be at least twice as fast and you should be able to craft higher-tier ones that have multiple slots in a single furnace. Also you should be able to walk through them if you pile them on top of one another--they become a solid wall if you stack them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The White Dragon posted:

Also you should be able to walk through them if you pile them on top of one another--they become a solid wall if you stack them.

Are you sure? Before the last wipe I had 4 of them on my ship stacked 2x2 and I could walk through that without any problems.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Are you sure? Before the last wipe I had 4 of them on my ship stacked 2x2 and I could walk through that without any problems.

I think there's a weird thing where your hitbox goes up a pixel or something when it passes in front of something else because I had two ape lockers stacked to touching a low ceiling and I couldn't walk in front of them and if I jumped into them from underneath I'd get stuck but if those same lockers were stacked on the floor I could walk right by. It's the presence of a ceiling right on top of them that makes them impassable.

As for smelting taking a bit of time, I don't mind that it does that. I keep my metals as ore as a refinery bank so I like to just shift+click the stack into the furnace, let it smelt as much as I need and then take it out again. It's probably a weird way of wording the response but having ore smelt in the furnace instead of being just another crafting recipe makes it feel like you actually pulled it out of the ground and it's not just another electronic blip on your counter. That's raw ore! You have to work out the impurities.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pilchenstein posted:

Maybe it's a bug, ran into something similar with those apex lockers. It happened when it was a low-roofed passage and the two lockers were pressed against the ceiling.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Starbound/assets/tech/mech/foomech/foomech.tech:

Change this:

code:
  "mechFireCycle" : 0.25,
  "mechProjectile" : "bullet-4",
  "mechProjectileConfig" : {
    "power" : 10
  }
to this:

code:
  "mechFireCycle" : 0.25,
  "mechProjectile" : "plasmagrenade",
  "mechProjectileConfig" : {
    "power" : 5000
  }
mechFireCycle: amount of seconds per shot (lower = faster)
power: Base damage of projectile

Use any other kind of projectile you'd like, like flamethrowers, rockets, orbital beam cannons, exploding pigs, etc.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Party Alarm posted:

A bunch of mine made the cut! :haw:

What color should we change the box to after we edit the undesirables?

I've been making them gray, seems to make the most sense

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Ulvirich posted:

You can also just exit to main menu on the character to get ported to your ship, however I agree, wish there was a magic mirror analogue.

If you want to warp to ship easily just right click with your pick to take out the background and it will let you warp to your ship from wherever you are, no matter how deep. Haven't tested from really really deep yet, but so far hasn't failed me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alighieri posted:

If you want to warp to ship easily just right click with your pick to take out the background and it will let you warp to your ship from wherever you are, no matter how deep. Haven't tested from really really deep yet, but so far hasn't failed me.

Once you're below the "surface" level (i.e. where light will shine through a background hole), that no longer works, sadly. :(

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Even at that speed it still took him seven minutes to reach the core. Starbound planets are massive.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Alighieri posted:

It stops working once you get "underground" because at a certain distance you're essentially walking on a big mountain.

On some planets you can actually run into canyons that you can't beam out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

There is a fuckload of mods now. Could I get some recommendations? Also they fully work on mac right?

• Locked thread