Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'll be surprised if it happens. It wouldn't be beneficial to either side. The Arrow showrunners have already come out and said they are building their own continuity separate from the movies. And using CW shows to develop multiple Justice Leaguers in the background would just be off-putting to the majority of the movie audience. As much as DC is half-assing these movies, doing that would be a new level of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Spergatory posted:

It would suck for the MoS and Arrow universes to be linked, and I'm pretty sure the writers know that, but I am afraid someone might make them do it anyway.

:mrapig: I don't care how you do it, just make it work!
:smith: But it makes no sense and would be to the detriment of both universes.
:mrapig: Nuh-uh, because Avengers.
:smith: But--
:mrapig: AVENGERS!!

Screw it, just link them both together and make it an official part of the 52 Earths from the comics.

Your move, Marvel. :smug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Apparently on The Flash we'll be seeing Mechanical Engineer Cisco Ramon AKA Vibe

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/12/26/vibe-to-make-waves-on-the-cws-flash/

Why loving Vibe? :psyduck:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How does Vibe's powers interact with the Flash's?

Also, if you had told me that in Arrow one of the coolest Characters would be Ollie's black driver I'd have scoffed. Scoffed.

Might be cool another superhero, but I am worried that the TV special effects won't hold up, just because I've not really seen a show have consistently good up close and personal special effects.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diggle's so cool they're putting him on the back of every DC comic this month.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Spergatory posted:

It would suck for the MoS and Arrow universes to be linked, and I'm pretty sure the writers know that, but I am afraid someone might make them do it anyway.

:mrapig: I don't care how you do it, just make it work!
:smith: But it makes no sense and would be to the detriment of both universes.
:mrapig: Nuh-uh, because Avengers.
:smith: But--
:mrapig: AVENGERS!!

Honestly, if DC really wants to ride the Avengers train I still can't see them tying a CW television show to their multi-mega-million dollar movie franchises. This isn't to say that it's a bad TV show, but I strongly suspect that Warner/DC are going to want to cast their own choices and put their own spin on any movie versions of characters we've seen on Arrow so far regardless of how cool Stephen Amell or Maru Bennett are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WarLocke posted:

This is basically why I hope the Arrow and MoS universes are never linked. Because just having the events of MoS existing in the same universe would totally overshadow anything they could do on Arrow.

I posted something similar a ways back, but if the big Metropolis fight happened then why would anyone have any skepticism about a guy who could beat down a steel door?

Batman or Superman wouldn't have to show up on Arrow; it'd be completely unnecessary, even if they are in a shared universe. Did Thor or Cap show up in Iron Man 3 for a significant part? No. I honestly can't see what the big deal is. All I'm getting is just "it'll be bad" but without any convincing evidence as to how or why it would be. Someone enlighten me.

Also, since Arrow is essentially Year One, and Grant Gustin's Flash origin is just starting, it's not hard to assume that if... if the TV show universe is linked to the Man of Steel/DC cinematic universe, that both shows are taking place a few years before Zod and Clark's Metropolis brawl happens.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

teagone posted:

Batman or Superman wouldn't have to show up on Arrow; it'd be completely unnecessary, even if they are in a shared universe. Did Thor or Cap show up in Iron Man 3 for a significant part? No. I honestly can't see what the big deal is. All I'm getting is just "it'll be bad" but without any convincing evidence as to how or why it would be. Someone enlighten me.

Arrow uses characters from DC comic book lore extremely liberally (and in a very good way), and it would suck for their ability to use whatever DC character to be held in check because they have to check in with the head honchos of WB to see if there's any chance of them wanting to use said character in a future movie. I'm pretty sure at the very least they would have said no to Deathstroke, Amanda Waller, and having Ra's Al Ghul appear in the flesh (which I'm sure will happen on Arrow at some point).

Also because Man of Steel was garbage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bbf2 posted:

Arrow uses characters from DC comic book lore extremely liberally (and in a very good way), and it would suck for their ability to use whatever DC character to be held in check because they have to check in with the head honchos of WB to see if there's any chance of them wanting to use said character in a future movie. I'm pretty sure at the very least they would have said no to Deathstroke, Amanda Waller, and having Ra's Al Ghul appear in the flesh (which I'm sure will happen on Arrow at some point).

Also because Man of Steel was garbage.

Don't they check with WB/DC already? I mean, wouldn't they have to? Also, the Arrow cast would elevate the DC film universe to awesome levels :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

teagone posted:

Don't they check with WB/DC already? I mean, wouldn't they have to? Also, the Arrow cast would elevate the DC film universe to awesome levels :colbert:

Most likely, but it's probably far less strict than what they would have to deal with if each character had to go through movie appearance consideration too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes they have to check. And they said they'd been denied a very few characters before.

There were all kinds of rumors about Flash possibly being in the Man of Steel sequel. If it turns out to be true, then that should answer the question once and for all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Deadpool posted:

Yes they have to check. And they said they'd been denied a very few characters before.

There were all kinds of rumors about Flash possibly being in the Man of Steel sequel. If it turns out to be true, then that should answer the question once and for all.

But what if it's Wally instead of Barry? :tinfoil:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Krad posted:

Haha, that's funny. Wally doesn't exist anymore.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Krad posted:

DC editorial hates Wally almost as much as they hate minority characters who aren't Cyborg.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Whizbang posted:

DC editorial hates Wally almost as much as they hate minority characters who aren't Cyborg.

This is funny because of the news about that Vibe guy I've never heard of before being on the Flash spinoff.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

Might be cool another superhero, but I am worried that the TV special effects won't hold up, just because I've not really seen a show have consistently good up close and personal special effects.

If they get clever about how it's stylized it could be cool, and practical. Smallville's fast-running was so lame because they show it, and it's... lacking. I'd like to see a 'fast' runner who just pops into shots like BING(lol pun intended) and now he's there, and a HUGE gust of wind blows poo poo around so you know he was hauling rear end, maybe with an affordable bright light effect(perhaps a FLASH of light), and little trail that quickly fades away to draw more attention.

I really hope they stay the hell away from full-body fast running it always looks awful.

Also, would ONE Batman appearance be so bad? Ollie in his darkest hour, convinced he hasn't only reached his peak, but man's peak, and he still isn't strong/skilled enough to beat the enemy. Then as he goes into what he thinks is a suicide mission Batman busts in and FUCKS poo poo UP. The two don't get to interact so it can be cast with any actor, and Ollie realizes he can be better.

I don't care if they combine the universes or not, this show will be amazing either way, but Superman is a step too far I think.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

Also, would ONE Batman appearance be so bad? Ollie in his darkest hour, convinced he hasn't only reached his peak, but man's peak, and he still isn't strong/skilled enough to beat the enemy. Then as he goes into what he thinks is a suicide mission Batman busts in and FUCKS poo poo UP. The two don't get to interact so it can be cast with any actor, and Ollie realizes he can be better.

I don't care if they combine the universes or not, this show will be amazing either way, but Superman is a step too far I think.

IF they don't even mention Batman, but mention ONLY Bruce Wayne is in Ollie-town, and then one night Arrow-Ollie is saved by -something- and we really only see a shadow like in the Animated Series loving poo poo up that would be awesome. And then Arrow-Ollie could mention to Felicity and Black Driver some small talk he had with the guy who helped him and how he's inspired again. gently caress yeah.

:allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 27, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oh man, if they did anything like this, I could only hope they just go for it and like, cast Jensen Ackles as batman or something. He jumps in, kicks rear end, says like 1 line max (I think Ackles can pull off a bat growl) and then boom, bat lines out of the shot.

It would be, I think, the right amount of silly, and I think this show could pull it off.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnddBOTuedc

could play the gently caress out of Batman.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Error 404 posted:

Oh man, if they did anything like this, I could only hope they just go for it and like, cast Jensen Ackles as batman or something. He jumps in, kicks rear end, says like 1 line max (I think Ackles can pull off a bat growl) and then boom, bat lines out of the shot.

It would be, I think, the right amount of silly, and I think this show could pull it off.

He was pretty good as Jason Todd; I think he could pull it off.

I wouldn't want Batman to show up and just to totally upstage Ollie, though. Arrow's just as badass as anyone. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

I wouldn't want Batman to show up and just to totally upstage Ollie, though. Arrow's just as badass as anyone. :colbert:

Nope.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ollie is still very green(lol pun) I think he could use someone to aspire to that the audience KNOWS will never end up being a bad guy like Slade. Or not, like I said before, anything the writers choose will be great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ollie is still very green(lol pun) I think he could use someone to aspire to that the audience KNOWS will never end up being a bad guy like Slade. Or not, like I said before, anything the writers choose will be great.

drat, I've got no response to that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or Batman puts a batarang through Ollie's leg and tells him to knock off the stupid stunts.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
At the end of season 2 Ollie finds Laurel's dead body, her face contorted into a twisted grin, with a joker playing card on the floor beside her.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Krad posted:

Screw it, just link them both together and make it an official part of the 52 Earths from the comics.

Your move, Marvel. :smug:

Man of Steel is already part of the 52 Earths judging by one of Zod's lines (I think it was ON A FAAARRMM?!) popping up while Vibe is traveling across the multiverse.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

If they get clever about how it's stylized it could be cool, and practical. Smallville's fast-running was so lame because they show it, and it's... lacking. I'd like to see a 'fast' runner who just pops into shots like BING(lol pun intended) and now he's there, and a HUGE gust of wind blows poo poo around so you know he was hauling rear end, maybe with an affordable bright light effect(perhaps a FLASH of light), and little trail that quickly fades away to draw more attention.

I really hope they stay the hell away from full-body fast running it always looks awful.

Grant Gustin has a musical theater background, so I think they'll lean a lot on "slow down everything else and let him mug through it." Like poking his finger at bullets stuck in mid air, and such and such.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

jscolon2.0 posted:

Grant Gustin has a musical theater background

I'll be extremely disappointed if Neil Patrick Harris doesn't show up to reprise his role as the Music Meister for one episode with Gustin.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jscolon2.0 posted:

Grant Gustin has a musical theater background, so I think they'll lean a lot on "slow down everything else and let him mug through it." Like poking his finger at bullets stuck in mid air, and such and such.

Oh yeah you're right, they could totally invert it so everyone else is movng slow and he's doing1.5x his normal speed or something, that could be cool too.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I was under the impression that the writers didn't necessarily rule out having bigger name guys on the show (I'm pretty sure Flash is historically a way bigger deal than GA) but rather that on Arrow, Ollie will always be badass #1. So if there were to be any Bat-family/Superman shenanigans on Arrow as opposed to a movie or another show it would likely involve Ollie upstaging them in some way.

edit: for lolz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9b7ZQ3Zkw

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Oh yeah you're right, they could totally invert it so everyone else is movng slow and he's doing1.5x his normal speed or something, that could be cool too.

Alphas had an episode where someone had superspeed, I really like the first part of this scene with the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzKjdaIAwc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The thing I hate about superspeed on TV is that when it happens on screen, it's always relatively slow so the audience can see it. Off-screen they can travel between continents in a split second.

I hope a show about a hero whose primary (and early on, probably only) power is his speed doesn't do that.

Edit: The alternative to showing speed on screen is to slow down time. That works, but it gets annoying if you do it too often and costs a lot.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 27, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

The thing I hate about superspeed on TV is that when it happens on screen, it's always relatively slow so the audience can see it. Off-screen they can travel between continents in a split second.

I hope a show about a hero whose primary (and early on, probably only) power is his speed doesn't do that.

I really liked the way the female kryptonian did superspeed in Man of Steel. It looked pretty cool.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I like both MoS superspeed and 'bullet time' superspeed, though I think MoS style would be cheaper on the special effects budget. And looking down, someone beat me to that assessment.

As for Green Arrow not 'belonging' in a group that stomps on monsters and aliens as their primary gig, JLU already tackeled that one. In fact, S1E1 of JLU was Green Arrow being a contemptuous prick about standing up for the little guy and not belonging in a group that puts down monsters. Batman gets in a line about monsters tending to step on the little guy, and by the end of the episode, he's taken down a Chinese Nuclear Death Robot that had just rolled over Captain Atom and Supergirl.

Does he get in shootouts with Amazo? No. But he gets his time in the limelight. Superman can't be everywhere at once. And I don't see them doing much team-up work. Hell, we're pretty much guaranteed to have the Flash show up on Arrow from time to time, and he's one of the Justice League Big 7!

teagone posted:

Also, since Arrow is essentially Year One, and Grant Gustin's Flash origin is just starting, it's not hard to assume that if... if the TV show universe is linked to the Man of Steel/DC cinematic universe, that both shows are taking place a few years before Zod and Clark's Metropolis brawl happens.

This guy is right. Hell, want to know a good way to get some money for Queen Consolidated? Have them take some of the reconstruction contracts that no doubt LexCorp will be wanting to monopolize! There are plenty of hosed up buildings in Metropolis thanks to that.

The only major considering factor would be, "How close to the line do the writers have to play characters?" Because as it stands, it seems Arrow's writers have lots of leeway. I think that could be a good thing for the movies, and if the executives can see the 'golden goose' they could go far with it. Sure, comic book grognards may lose their poo poo, but I'd rather bring in new fans than cater to unwashed neckbeards with a deodorant allergy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arrow made the list of top pirated shows of 2013!

Hooray?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Most-Pirated-Show-1075032.aspx

10th, with 2.2 million downloads. It doesn't say which episode, but probably the finale for last season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Listen up because this is a momentous occasion. This is one of the few times you will ever see me post about something I liked in Smallvile. But at the end of this scene they show what Clark's speed looks like from the point of view of another person who will not be named. And I love the way they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmTwFQ--Z_s&t=169s

He pretty much just disappears because she can't see him move that fast. So there you have it. Very simple effect that is literally the cheapest thing you can do. But it was one moment where I thought they did something really well even if it was incredibly simple. One of those rare moments in Smallville I actually liked. There's also the scene where he beats up a bunch of guys that has a strobe effect that's nice. But I like this one more.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 27, 2013

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
That's the only 3 minutes of Smallville I've ever seen and I thought everything about it was hilarious.

I like the idea but I feel like the effect needs a little more transition instead of him just instantly being gone.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So, was the Nightwing stuff just a rumor? I thought a guy was cast for the role in Arrow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

So, was the Nightwing stuff just a rumor? I thought a guy was cast for the role in Arrow.

A guy on another show said he wanted to play Nightwing on this one. That was the extent of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Uh, that looked like a workprint with missing effects.

• Locked thread