Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Glazius posted:

I love how Riki just does his prancey little idle animation while NPCs are busy telling you the quest details. Remembering little details is what Heropon's friends are for!

It made for interesting times trying to equip anything on him. I try turning him to get a better look at his new weapon or armour and he TURNS BACK THE OTHER WAY ON HIS OWN! I used to get pissed off, and then immediately forget about it because he started doing his little dance too.

Oh Riki, I can't stay get mad at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

On equipment-talk: I had no idea I was walking into a cutscene back at the beginning of Makna where Shulk first met Aldo. So, he was shirtless. It definitely added something to that exchange.

Vil posted:

Riki is currently wearing one of my two favorite outfits for him. The other is the heavy armor set that makes him look like a little spiky ball. :3:

YES. Riki's little shiny Prussian helmet is perfect for the heropon. It adds some real dignity while at the same time not at all compromising the adorable.

Lethemonster posted:

Next update: A Xenogears dungeon.

FTFY :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mazed posted:

On equipment-talk: I had no idea I was walking into a cutscene back at the beginning of Makna where Shulk first met Aldo. So, he was shirtless. It definitely added something to that exchange.

I beat The Last Story before I made any significant headway into Xenoblade, and Alvis shares a voice actor with Jirall from Last Story; the biggest blazing douchecannon I've ever encountered in a video game narrative, so my first encounter with him went something along the lines of "Aw, Christ, not you again!"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes but Alvis also has one of the sexiest voices in video games so who cares. Also thanks for reminding me that I have a copy of Last Story I need to play.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Yes but Alvis also has one of the sexiest voices in video games so who cares. Also thanks for reminding me that I have a copy of Last Story I need to play.

Man, I have xenoblade, last story, AND pandora's tower to get through. I am horrible at completing games.
I'm further along in xenoblade then I was when I quit playing before, but I'm obsessed with completion and extra skill tree grinding isn't as fun as just getting along with the story... Makna forest is the worse of it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Use Xenoblade as an excuse to break your completionist habit? I used to be a crazy completionist about most games. As I get older, I find I have less time on my hands though, so I've trained myself so be able to put down the controller or do something different when I'm not really having fun. I finished Xenoblade without gathering any extra skill trees, for example.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I promise this hasn't died again, I just picked up some mutant strain of fresher's flu / bronchitis that made recording impossible.

Unless you like coughing.

REALLY like coughing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Things I like? Coughing, no. Heropon, yes.

rikisneaky

Seriously though, take as much time as you need to rest up and feel better. Drink lots of fluids, of course, to help with the coughing. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Man, Lethe. Are you getting your vitamins? You need to ward that poo poo off!

(Get well soon.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lethemonster posted:

I promise this hasn't died again, I just picked up some mutant strain of fresher's flu / bronchitis that made recording impossible.

Unless you like coughing.

REALLY like coughing.

Are you okay? You seem to be crippled with illness like, 11 months out of the year.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
You should do more text-based updates! Like Character style breakdowns, those Heart to Hearts, or even just a few screenshots of your favorite backgrounds (Like a collection of fantasy postcards?). Whatever strikes your interest but doesn't require talking so much! ;)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

Use Xenoblade as an excuse to break your completionist habit? I used to be a crazy completionist about most games. As I get older, I find I have less time on my hands though, so I've trained myself so be able to put down the controller or do something different when I'm not really having fun. I finished Xenoblade without gathering any extra skill trees, for example.

I might have to go full speed ahead and worry about 100% in new game+ (which, as a Japanese RPG, is bound to have one). Mostly because screw helping the colonies. You can collect your own drat blue glowies.

Get well soon Lethemonster.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Whhhaaaaaaaaaat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This game is quite cutscene heavy at times.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like that Riki flutters in the air a bit before he joins them. I also love pretty much any scene involving Lorithia.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty interesting how the computer scanned Melia's genetic data after permission had been granted.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I can appreciate that they at least break it up with that miniboss, and the option to do sidequests or whatever before going to the tomb. And even without those, 10-15 minute cutscenes aren't exactly out of the norm for JRPGs

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Renoistic posted:

Pretty interesting how the computer scanned Melia's genetic data after permission had been granted.

That's because the genetic scan is not for the purpose of granting permission to enter.

Wind God Sety posted:

I can appreciate that they at least break it up with that miniboss, and the option to do sidequests or whatever before going to the tomb. And even without those, 10-15 minute cutscenes aren't exactly out of the norm for JRPGs

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I enjoy the cutscenes in this game. But I realized that the only thing I could talk about that was really relevant to this update and not the next was the assassin miniboss, and Lethemonster already said everything I had to say about that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is priceless.

You seem to not know this game's predecessors. At least this one has witty dialogue: 'We ordered Room service an hour ago' :allears:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 19, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is priceless.

You seem to not know this game's predecessors. At least this one has witty dialogue: 'We ordered Room service an hour ago' :allears:

Magical DNA scanners and not knowing what the hell is going on. All we need now is an explanation of nanomachines and we will have the xeno-noun trifecta!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LordAba posted:

Magical DNA scanners and not knowing what the hell is going on. All we need now is an explanation of nanomachines and we will have the xeno-noun trifecta!

No nanomachines, but "ether" gets dropped a bafuckzillion times in the second half of the game, so 2.5, maybe?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

nine-gear crow posted:

No nanomachines, but "ether" gets dropped a bafuckzillion times in the second half of the game, so 2.5, maybe?

Yeah, but Ether's basically the Mana/Fonon/Aer/etc. of this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, if anybody would ignore the NPCs and run around mashing A on everything, it'd be Reyn.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Reyn is the best.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Hi, just dicovered this thread. A really nice LP you have going here, it makes me want to play the game even more than I did before. Sadly, since finding this game in the place I live is nearly impossible, I neither have it, nor a Wii.

So...I don't know if it's against the rules or anything, but does someone know if there is a working Wii-emulator out there?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I was bored, thought about Reyn's accent, and made a thing:

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ashram posted:

Hi, just dicovered this thread. A really nice LP you have going here, it makes me want to play the game even more than I did before. Sadly, since finding this game in the place I live is nearly impossible, I neither have it, nor a Wii.

So...I don't know if it's against the rules or anything, but does someone know if there is a working Wii-emulator out there?
You should read the rules.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

I endorse the Beefcake Army: Dunban, Reyn, and Shulk in Colony Militia pants and boots, nothing else.

"So you are the prophesied bearer of WILL YOU STOP FLEXING FOR ONE SECOND"

Thank you, now I have this scene in my head where Shulk talks to someone, to hear about the guy's problems, while behind Shulk, Reyn and Dunban are stricking Bodybuilder poses and generaly having a flex-off (with pink sparkles, of course).

To the newest video: So no one who is not of royal blood can get inside the Tomb and Melia's father and brother don't look like they want to kill her...So is this a self fullfilling prophesy? Shulk has a vision of Melia being in danger, goes in there after her and because of that Melia gets endangered?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Somehow I lost the audio for the video and the avs file I used to make it. I have managed to smoosh together some audio from the cutscenes and covered the rest with the background music of the area.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Hm. The design of the Melia-only section sounds like in principle it should be a good idea. You've only got Melia, so she doesn't get overshadowed by the other characters, and the player can focus on learning how she works. The enemies are tough, so you spend a while experimenting with Melia's abilities, but they're not especially threatening, so you're unlikely to die while still figuring things out. In principle, it all sounds good! (Though, like most tutorials, pretty boring when re-played.)

If Melia's mechanics were better explained, I think it might have worked.

(Also, if it wasn't immediately followed by a maze of identical corridors filled with identical robot fights.)

Could you have climbed the wall with Melia, instead of taking the light bridge?

If you leave the video playing after the end, it keeps playing audio for ~10 seconds - what seems to be the sound of going through the menus to save, I'd guess. Never seen a video do that before! Neat.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regarding your comment near the end, you can absolutely return to the High Entia Tomb later in the game. I'm not sure about immediately after your initial visit, but it's definitely not a place where you're permanently locked out.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Vil posted:

Regarding your comment near the end, you can absolutely return to the High Entia Tomb later in the game. I'm not sure about immediately after your initial visit, but it's definitely not a place where you're permanently locked out.

I think on my first playthrough I tried to return and was locked out, but I probably returned after some arbitrary plot point locked it out.

That being said I AM NEVER RETURNING.

Goddamn I had forgotten about this level in the game. I genuinely don't enjoy the Tomb and don't understand how it got into the game. Even other areas and quests that are purely collecting and grinding are way more fun. I could put up with repetitive areas for a short while if they hadn't also made the combat weaker through arbitrary defenses.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

There's definitely a little stuff left to do in there later if I'm remembering a sidequest correctly, but if you don't want to go back it's not a big deal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

some arbitrary plot point

Well, in all fairness, they kind of telegraph it a long way off. And plus, the event in question is a staple of every single Xeno- plot. But yeah...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The general Alcamoth-area plot sequence is filled with "no, gently caress you, you are going where the game wants you to go" barriers in the form of NPCs stopping you or your party members going "no, we have to do ____". It's really the only offender that comes to mind, though. I can think of a few other brief moments, but for the most part you can happily fast travel to anywhere you've previously visited, provided it's not permanently locked out like the bottom half of Ether Mine.

But High Entia Tomb very definitely does not get any sort of permanent lockout - you can pop in there just fine even with an endgame save. I would at least suggest returning for the chest containing an advanced manual for Summon Bolt (might as well make Melia even more of a broken glass cannon by letting her go straight to rank 10 as soon as she has the AP for it), unless you picked that up on your first visit.

There's also a bit of a reason to return there much much later in the game, but - especially if reminded - I'll talk about that when we get there. We're still a long ways off from that point. In general I agree with you that it's really tedious and repetitive level design. It doesn't help that most of the enemies there use physical-resistance buffs, at a point in the plot where your main ether damage dealer is out of party in need of rescuing. The mighty heropon can help mitigate that if you're controlling him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I thought the Melia-only section was too easy. I was hoping to try and take on a boss with her. I suppose that was done in case you never bothered to control her before, though. I started using her in the Makna forest, and after getting some tips from the forum, I quite enjoyed playing as her, even a bit more than Shulk. Once you get into the rhythm of summoning and firing, it's quite a lot of fun.

It helps to think of Melia's attacks as First In, Last Out. That's useful because you can get up one buff you want to have active for the entire fight, and you can maintain it as long as you're careful to only fire two of the three you have summoned.

One big downside is that the AI likes to keep Melia holding her buffs and not using them to attack, so she's best controlled by the player. I hope Lethemonster will control her on occasion when she rejoins the party.

I actually like the aesthetics of the High Entia Tomb. There are thousands of tombs in videogames, but most of them look alike. This one is high tech and brightly lit. The wall-climbing sections I could do without, though.

This update answers why they had both an audio authorization and a genetic scan. It's because the scan was for a different reason.

Yes, you can come back to the Tomb later, Lethemonster. I don't think it even gets sealed off again. There are Heart-to-Hearts in there (well at least one: Reyn-Melia). There are also secrets and other things that you can't get to at the moment. I think that you can get the chest that Vil mentioned on your first visit.

Ashram posted:

To the newest video: So no one who is not of royal blood can get inside the Tomb and Melia's father and brother don't look like they want to kill her...So is this a self fullfilling prophesy? Shulk has a vision of Melia being in danger, goes in there after her and because of that Melia gets endangered?

As the video showed, this was not the case, the assassin was already there ahead of us.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 5, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like the aesthetic of the Tomb and I really like the boss fight, so there we are.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
While Melia is acually quiet strong, she suffers from the same problem that Shulk also has: She is almost worthless in the hands of the AI (at least that's the felling I have). But mostly I use her in fights with monsters that have Close Range Spike.

Personally the only thing I found tidious about the Tomb were some of the quests for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that assassin doesn't really pay very close attention to anything, does she?

"WELCOME CROSSBREED CHILD. I AM THE SPIRIT OF YOUR MOST ANCESTOR. PLEASE CONTINUE THIS CROSSBREEDING AS IT REPRESENTS THE ONLY HOPE FOR SURVIVAL OF OUR PEOPLE."

"Filthy crossbreed! Die like the beast you are!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Man, that assassin doesn't really pay very close attention to anything, does she?

"WELCOME CROSSBREED CHILD. I AM THE SPIRIT OF YOUR MOST ANCESTOR. PLEASE CONTINUE THIS CROSSBREEDING AS IT REPRESENTS THE ONLY HOPE FOR SURVIVAL OF OUR PEOPLE."

"Filthy crossbreed! Die like the beast you are!"

Bigots will be bigots, I guess.

• Locked thread