Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

swickles posted:

The postponed that game in Philly a few years ago, the one where we had the Joe Webb Experience and the Govenor of PA making casually racist remarks about Chinamen, but that was because the stadium was literally packed to the brim with snow and not because of the weather itself.

Wait, what? I don't remember this at all and I loathe Tom Corbett. Have a link or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DOOP posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember this at all and I loathe Tom Corbett. Have a link or something?

It was Ed Rendell.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5960674

quote:

"We've become a nation of wusses. The Chinese are kicking our butt in everything," he added. "If this was in China do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oh that. I remember now. Rendell had a week left in office at that point, which explains my memory.

Still better than Corbett

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Basil Hayden posted:

Yeah I was going to comment that I don't think I can handle watching Kentucky football and the Browns every weekend. Much as I have a weakness for traditionally bad teams, I don't think mere mortals were meant for that pair of rooting interests.

If you want traditionally bad but currently in an upswing, I'd recommend the Lions. You also have the rapidly improving Jaguars and the Rams who have a storied history dating back to the 40's and are about to undergo a rebuild with ups and downs.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

If you want traditionally bad but currently in an upswing, I'd recommend the Lions. You also have the rapidly improving Jaguars and the Rams who have a storied history dating back to the 40's and are about to undergo a rebuild with ups and downs.

Panthers or Chargers would work for this as well imo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Panthers or Chargers would work for this as well imo.

We're in a downswing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd wait for the Jags to rapidly improve to a winning record before jumping on that bandwagon.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Declan MacManus posted:

The Rams are in the middle of a rebuild.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

JRizzle posted:

Let's be real, the Rams have been rebuilding since 2004.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Basil Hayden posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I've felt like I should try to get into the NFL for a long while now, but I don't really have any attachment to any of the teams, nor are any of them close enough to my hometown that I'd pick them on a solely geographic basis (I think we're designated as a secondary market for the Bengals, but my uncle is such a prick about them that that's probably the one team I wouldn't pick). How do I figure this out?

tbh your best route would be just to watch a fuckton of football on Sunday next season until you see a team you think you like.

I'm gonna make a plug for the Bears tho because we are for real going to be a top 3 offense and a bottom 3 defense next season which means at the very least every game will be high scoring

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Embrace the Seahawks, Hail Satan.

e: Sorry, Hail Gay 420 Weed Satan.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

JRizzle posted:

Grozz Nuy posted:

Let's be real, the Rams have been rebuilding since 2004.

They're about to start their rebuild over.

hopterque posted:

Embrace the Seahawks, Hail Satan.

e: Sorry, Hail Gay 420 Weed Satan.

Do not root for the Seahawks.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

GNU Order posted:

tbh your best route would be just to watch a fuckton of football on Sunday next season until you see a team you think you like.

I'm gonna make a plug for the Bears tho because we are for real going to be a top 3 offense and a bottom 3 defense next season which means at the very least every game will be high scoring

Last night I had a strange dream where I was rooting for something called a "Tennessee Titans".

But yeah this is probably a good idea. Historically the only NFL game I've watched most seasons is the Super Bowl, so I know very little of what most teams look like. This may be part of the problem, really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

Last night I had a strange dream where I was rooting for something called a "Tennessee Titans".

But yeah this is probably a good idea. Historically the only NFL game I've watched most seasons is the Super Bowl, so I know very little of what most teams look like. This may be part of the problem, really.

Never go against dream-visions. You are now a Titans fan forever and ever and may Cuahutl the Serpent King, Bringer of Football Fandom, watch over you.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Declan MacManus posted:

They're about to start their rebuild over.

How can they start a rebuild over when they have the youngest roster in the NFL already? Or are you saying they're completely rebuilding because they might need to draft a quarterback high again? The Rams really aren't in that bad of a spot, other than they play in the toughest division and the other three teams are better than them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

JRizzle posted:

How can they start a rebuild over when they have the youngest roster in the NFL already? Or are you saying they're completely rebuilding because they might need to draft a quarterback high again? The Rams really aren't in that bad of a spot, other than they play in the toughest division and the other three teams are better than them.

I would assume they're about to scrap their entire offense which I would consider a rebuild.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Barudak posted:

Never go against dream-visions. You are now a Titans fan forever and ever and may Cuahutl the Serpent King, Bringer of Football Fandom, watch over you.

Well, poo poo, I don't think I can argue with Cuahutl the Serpent King.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
We need more Titans posters, I officially dub you Titans fan #4. Congratulations!

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Why do NFL teams get extra draft picks if one of their player's contracts expire and they go to another team via free agency? If they wanted to keep the player they should have extended him, yes?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MC2552John posted:

Why do NFL teams get extra draft picks if one of their player's contracts expire and they go to another team via free agency? If they wanted to keep the player they should have extended him, yes?

They only get extra draft picks if they lose more free agents than they sign, it doesn't have anything to do with any specific free agent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Was there no Thursday night game this week?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Bob Morales posted:

Was there no Thursday night game this week?

No more games until the bowls start which is in a few days I believe.

edit: I assumed you were talking about NCAA. If you're talking about NFL carry on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

They only get extra draft picks if they lose more free agents than they sign, it doesn't have anything to do with any specific free agent.

Yes and no. If you lose a player to FA that was really really good but do not sign anybody (drafting doesn't count) who is equally as good, then you get a higher compensatory pick as decided by an NFL committee. From wiki:

quote:

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

What does N/V stand for?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
News/Views

It's instant #hotsportstakes years ahead of its time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And often devolves into #hotfoodtakes because goons

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Was there some change to the length of the season in the 90s where they added a week? I seem to remember something changed to allow all teams (instead of just some teams) to have bye-weeks but the logic of that doesn't make sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SkunkDuster posted:

Was there some change to the length of the season in the 90s where they added a week? I seem to remember something changed to allow all teams (instead of just some teams) to have bye-weeks but the logic of that doesn't make sense.

There was never a situation where only some teams had bye weeks unless I'm remembering completely wrong. The season length changes I remember are adding an off week before the super bowl, incorporating byes and getting rid of that off week, then adding the off week back in.

Well unless you want to go back to adding in 2 more games in the late 70s.

Oh wait there was an uneven number of teams for a couple of years during expansion, that's what you're thinking of and I'm forgetting. The Browns came back in and things weren't even until the Texans came in.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I figured it out. It was 1993 where they added an extra week so all teams would get two bye weeks. Not sure why they got rid of it, though. Seemed like a good idea to me.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

SkunkDuster posted:

There was a period of 2 possible scheduled Bye weeks so the regular season was technically 18 weeks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

balancedbias posted:

There was a period of 2 possible scheduled Bye weeks so the regular season was technically 18 weeks

That means more weeks of football and more matchups to push, and that just doesn't make sense to me

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

That means more weeks of football and more matchups to push, and that just doesn't make sense to me

I always thought it was weird that some teams would have a bye week in week 4 and others in week 12. By weeks should be between weeks 8 and 12. I understand its hard to do logistically, but you can see the advantage of having a bye week later than earlier.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

I always thought it was weird that some teams would have a bye week in week 4 and others in week 12. By weeks should be between weeks 8 and 12. I understand its hard to do logistically, but you can see the advantage of having a bye week later than earlier.

Just have half the league have a bye week in week 8 and half in 9. Rotate it by division (this year AFC North, NFC West, AFC South, and NFC East have it on 8 and NFC North, NFC South, AFC West, and AFC East have it on 9 and then next year AFC North, AFC East, NFC West, and NFC South have it on 8 and AFC South, AFC West, NFC North, and NFC East have it on 9 and so on and so forth in endless permutations because it's really not that difficult)

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

As much as I hate to say it I honestly have to wonder how much fantasy football plays in with how big it's gotten, because it would be really hard to field teams particularly in larger leagues with only 4 possible bye weeks and absolutely impossible if half the NFL was on bye at once.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

As much as I hate to say it I honestly have to wonder how much fantasy football plays in with how big it's gotten, because it would be really hard to field teams particularly in larger leagues with only 4 possible bye weeks and absolutely impossible if half the NFL was on bye at once.

Well on one hand you could just have those weeks be byes for fantasy, and on the other hand who gives a gently caress.

vvv I would secretly be in favor of that.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 28, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Well on one hand you could just have those weeks be byes for fantasy, and on the other hand who gives a gently caress.

I don't even like or play fantasy anymore but it brings a ton of casual fans to the NFL and is a non-zero consideration in how the league does its business. From the standpoint of stuff that actually matters Declan's idea is perfect but two bye weeks in a row for fantasy football or two weeks where you need to add/drop half your roster or whatever would probably kill it for a lot of people.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

I don't even like or play fantasy anymore but it brings a ton of casual fans to the NFL and is a non-zero consideration in how the league does its business. From the standpoint of stuff that actually matters Declan's idea is perfect but two bye weeks in a row for fantasy football or two weeks where you need to add/drop half your roster or whatever would probably kill it for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure non-fan society would benefit from that kind of break. Actual weekend work getting done, errands completed, etc

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

My loving parents just got into fantasy a couple years ago. My mom is the most casual of casual fans and my dad was the kind of dude that used to beat up D&D nerds in high school, but they treat it just as seriously as the actual games. Fantasy is a very, very big deal outside of TFF.

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
How do coaches relate to their coordinators? Are coordinators for the HC's side of the ball basically glorified position coaches? Do coaches pretty much just leave the other half of the game to their coordinators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like the concept of fantasy, but I would never put myself in a position where I would be rooting for the pats or the broncos for the sake of my fantasy team.

• Locked thread