Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

single-mode fiber posted:

The other day I got a CenturyLink engineer to admit that they whacked out an LSP in their metro ethernet.

I can't parse this as anything other than Lumpy Space Prince(ss), which is giving me disturbing mental images that probably belong on DeviantArt rather than the ticket thread. So what is an LSP supposed to be in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Well the mistake I made of giving out my number to someone finally caught up with me, she decided to give me a call first thing on Christmas morning to ask me for help on why her laptop won't play her Christmas playlist.

The sound was off, guys :shobon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow, that probably tops the lack-of-self-awareness charts for now.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Well the mistake I made of giving out my number to someone finally caught up with me, she decided to give me a call first thing on Christmas morning to ask me for help on why her laptop won't play her Christmas playlist.

Your mistake was actually helping.

Edit: Unless you get paid for call outs, in which case be sure to log a ticket about it so everyone can see exactly where this money was wasted.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 25, 2013

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Lum posted:

I can't parse this as anything other than Lumpy Space Prince(ss), which is giving me disturbing mental images that probably belong on DeviantArt rather than the ticket thread. So what is an LSP supposed to be in this context?

It means label-switched path; despite the name, their Metro Ethernet is actually based on MPLS.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Could be worse. Network Solutions required no human intervention for altering the contact info on our primary domain. We only heard about it when they requested an authorization code to transfer the domain. We were unable to determine how we missed the first email.

During this I noticed that godaddy emails weren't getting through to the contact I had specified, so your scenario could have happened to me as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

It means label-switched path; despite the name, their Metro Ethernet is actually based on MPLS.

So this was a "sorry we hosed everything including the demarc" moment?

We had ATT change the IP for an ATT device without telling us for a remote site resulting in no WAN access for said site. That was a fun day. I'm guessing it was a similar issue.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

This was a problem that drove us up the wall for a while. The customer had like a dozen remote sites, all on the metro, and 2 of them could not talk to one another. They could ARP for one another, but pings or any IP connectivity wasn't happening. Also, one of the affected sites had 1-way audio on all voip. That was also an LSP problem, but between the remote site and the data center where the IP PBX was located.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

hahaha if you picked up the phone you might as well change jobs now

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lum posted:

Your mistake was actually helping.

Edit: Unless you get paid for call outs, in which case be sure to log a ticket about it so everyone can see exactly where this money was wasted.

Yeahhh, unless you got paid 4+ hours for that, what were you thinking?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeahhh, unless you got paid 4+ hours for that, what were you thinking?

"Jesus, if they're calling on Christmas morning something must literally be on fire." is my guess

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If it's important enough for them to call you, it's important enough that they'll leave a voicemail.

Also, any recommendations on home web filtering software for kids with parents that don't want to parent?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

go3 posted:

If it's important enough for them to call you, it's important enough that they'll leave a voicemail.

Also, any recommendations on home web filtering software for kids with parents that don't want to parent?

I've been using the Microsoft family filter system to keep security PCs locked down. Seems to work well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

I've been ordering the wrong phones (7941s)

The Cisco Cius-on-a-stick DX650 comes with a microfiber cleaning cloth.

Not sure why anyone would want to order one of those though...

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

go3 posted:

OpenDNS?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

go3 posted:

The greatest thing I ever did was disable voicemail on all my phones.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Until your children learn about VPNs and Tor, although it could be argued that at that point you have done your job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Volmarias posted:

Until your children learn about VPNs and Tor, although it could be argued that at that point you have done your job.

Neither VPNs nor Tor are really appropriate countermeasures unless the VPN is pushing DNS or you redirect to another DNS server through Tor.

By the time they've gone to look at VPNs or Tor they've already figured out how to set whatever DNS server they want without such messy solutions.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

evol262 posted:

Neither VPNs nor Tor are really appropriate countermeasures unless the VPN is pushing DNS or you redirect to another DNS server through Tor.

By the time they've gone to look at VPNs or Tor they've already figured out how to set whatever DNS server they want without such messy solutions.

Force all outbound traffic through your filtering proxy, block port 53 from anything but your local caching dns server. Monitor internet traffic and issue spankings for policy violations.

:colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

thebigcow posted:

Force all outbound traffic through your filtering proxy, block port 53 from anything but your local caching dns server. Monitor internet traffic and issue spankings for policy violations.

Sounds like a solid corporate policy too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

thebigcow posted:

And set up a domain, join all the kids' computers and block them from editing network settings via GPO.

Join tablets and phones to MDM which blocks sites.

Redirect questionable traffic through squid and trigger a Raspberry-pi based klaxon when unauthorized DNS lookups occur.

Block all browsing by IP (in case those sneaky kids look up forbidden content on some whois and try going to the IP directly).

SPI to make sure they're not tunneling traffic over SSH.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like a solid corporate policy too.

Depends on how the secretaries look.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Depends on how the secretaries look.
Hey this is 2013. There are plenty of executives, managers and seniors that may qualify for spankings.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Volmarias posted:

The day the principal asks for a meeting because my daughter created an SSH tunnel w/ port forwarding at home to get around the school firewall will be the proudest goddamn day of my life. :fsmug:

Unless she did it with Windows/PuTTY and not *nix like a real woman. If that's the case, she's grounded for a week. :colbert:

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

Lord Dudeguy posted:

The day the principal asks for a meeting because my daughter created an SSH tunnel w/ port forwarding at home to get around the school firewall will be the proudest goddamn day of my life. :fsmug:

Unless she did it with Windows/PuTTY and not *nix like a real woman. If that's the case, she's grounded for a week. :colbert:

I think you have got the coolest daughter around. Serious dad points for that

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

thenotoriouspie posted:

I think you have got the coolest daughter around. Serious dad points for that

I think this is a hypothetical scenario.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Earl of Lavender posted:

I think this is a hypothetical scenario.

brb teaching my 3 year old to skirt the preschool firewall to netflix episodes of caillou.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My 3-year-old figured out how to order episodes of Team Umizoomi on my wife's tablet.

Totally Amazon's fault though, if you have ANY payment method at all saved to your account it's automatically used for one-click ordering. They gave me a refund, but I still get automated emails asking me to review the show.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pretty certain you can disable one click ordering or just don't give small children tablets

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Today's the day of our corporate HQ move. We're moving down ten floors from our current location, and about forty people from our other site in town are coming over as well. Despite the needlessly aggressive deadline all the business critical systems will be up in time for Monday morning.

I'm curious to see which of the incomplete non-critical items becomes the source of CEO misery. My bet is the incomplete AV install. Phones, internet but no DirectTV? UNACCEPTABLE! :argh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fatman1683 posted:

My 3-year-old figured out how to order episodes of Team Umizoomi on my wife's tablet.

Totally Amazon's fault though, if you have ANY payment method at all saved to your account it's automatically used for one-click ordering. They gave me a refund, but I still get automated emails asking me to review the show.

Amazon's tablets come with rather decent parental controls that can disable store/purchase access.

Learn to use parental controls :colbert:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
It was on an Android tablet using Firefox for Flash streaming, not a Kindle, so no parental controls.

And as far as I could ever find there's not a way to entirely disable one-click ordering. If you have a payment method saved to your account, one-click is enabled using that card.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

fatman1683 posted:

It was on an Android tablet using Firefox for Flash streaming, not a Kindle, so no parental controls.

And as far as I could ever find there's not a way to entirely disable one-click ordering. If you have a payment method saved to your account, one-click is enabled using that card.

Log into your amazon account on your computer. Go into "Your Account". Under Settings there is a 1-click settings option. In there on the right hand side is a list of your devices with the option to turn off 1-click individually.

Click for bigger version.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So had a client with an issue with one of their Mac Pro machines last week, on Tuesday. Did some troubleshooting, determined they had a failing video card - both screens were having weird glitches and the system would randomly crash or need to be rebooted when everything froze up. No big deal, the manager on site says to go ahead and try to schedule an appointment with an Apple store on Friday (12/20). I ask if they have a spare Mac for the guy with the faulty machine, get no response back to a phone call and email. Check the Apple site, found out the machine that's broken is out of warranty, it had AppleCare but was bought sometime back in 2010 and the 2 year plan expired.

I notify the boss on-site of the status, even called the guy with the faulty machine. Wanted to find out if they'd rather replace the machine and get the extended Apple warranty, or go through with a repair (knowing that it'll be out of pocket and any other issues will be out of warranty too). At this point I'm thinking it'll be easier and more cost effective to get a new Mac versus repairing this one out of pocket. Still get no response, so my assumption is that I'll be stopping by Friday as planned, I set up an appointment for 11am Friday at an Apple store a few minutes away to get the system checked out.

Friday comes around, still no response to numerous emails and voicemails, and I'm about to head on site. My account manager gets a call from an angry on-site manager, he decided to take the broken Mac Pro in himself to Apple. They wouldn't touch it since it was out of warranty, so he had to find another local shop that was certified/approved to work on Macs. $500 and 3 hours later, he gets the Mac back with a new video card, so my suspicions were correct. Then he goes on a tirade about how if "you guys don't know how to work on Macs, maybe we need to modify our contract" and bitches about someone not going on site to pick up the Mac. Dickbag tries to blame us for the wasted time, after not responding to any calls or emails for DAYS, and my boss asks me what happened and I fill him in. I've got call logs showing when I called, e-mail chains showing when I sent messages out, showing when I'd made the Apple store appointment, and even had another tech confirm that HE called to find out what was going on, since he's more experienced with Macs and offered to help out.

Needless to say, the on-site manager got all this info thrown right back at him, and admitted that the guy with the broken Mac didn't have voicemail set up correctly (not our problem) and neither one of them had kept up on email for a couple days. I even gave my boss the info about the Apple appointment I'd set up for Friday after the manager requested it, so my rear end was thoroughly covered. We're going to have a meeting next week on the 30th to go over the situation and how to handle incidents like this in the future. As an added bonus, I went through all their machines on site to check warranty status and see what machines were close to, or out of, warranty. Literally all but 4 of their machines have expired warranties - they have a mix of HP desktops and various model Macs, only 1 Mac has an active warranty that's not expired, the rest are expired by anywhere from 2 months to almost 3 years. :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ozz81 posted:

We're going to have a meeting next week on the 30th to go over the situation and how to handle incidents like this in the future.

Dunno, if you can't change your client there's not a whole lot you can do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ozz81 posted:

As an added bonus, I went through all their machines on site to check warranty status and see what machines were close to, or out of, warranty. Literally all but 4 of their machines have expired warranties - they have a mix of HP desktops and various model Macs, only 1 Mac has an active warranty that's not expired, the rest are expired by anywhere from 2 months to almost 3 years. :psyduck:

We have a new client whose DC's warranty expired in 2007.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At the company I work for, probably 60% of the desktops have expired warranties. If anything but the hard drive fails, we throw it out and buy a new one that comes with a 3 year warranty. No big deal.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Trastion posted:

Log into your amazon account on your computer. Go into "Your Account". Under Settings there is a 1-click settings option. In there on the right hand side is a list of your devices with the option to turn off 1-click individually.

Click for bigger version.

I think this only shows up if you have an actual Kindle. None of our Android phones or tablets show up on that page for me, just a single "Turn on/off one click" button.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

CollegeCop posted:

I think this only shows up if you have an actual Kindle. None of our Android phones or tablets show up on that page for me, just a single "Turn on/off one click" button.
So turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Edit: Reading comprehension.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 27, 2013

• Locked thread