Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you got all your theology from Christian media you'd think that premillenial dispensationalism aka The Rapture was actually in Revelation instead of being some kooky off-shoot interpretation that few denominations actually believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BrendianaJones posted:

Ashley Tisdale was originally going to be in it as the female lead, but she dropped out. But still, you want an insane rapture movie, why not Cage?

It won't even be the first insane rapture movie he's starred in! :v:

exquisite tea posted:

If you got all your theology from Christian media you'd think that premillenial dispensationalism aka The Rapture was actually in Revelation instead of being some kooky off-shoot interpretation that few denominations actually believe.

In fairness, if I got all my Christian theology from media I'd definitely become Catholic for the anti-monster super powers they gain. You never see protestants kicking vampire rear end.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Well, the guy in The Last Exorcism is a Protestant minister. But we don't really know how successful he was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

weekly font posted:

The belief that fossils are millions of years old is just a belief! You know not a detailed and specific testable science that can be repeated with accuracy and precision. This is making my entire core hurt.

e: Oh my god it gets worse. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

And it ends with a sequel tease about human evolution. Tell me this exists. :unsmigghh:
I'm just glad that my priests always just went with the "Days from God's perspective could be millions of years" and that God made the mechanisms for evolution and started the Big Bang. I mean then again Catholics don't really get in the whole antiscience creationism museums for all deal that some of the crazier denominations do.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You should play the RTS Left Behind game. You use gospel singers and youth pasters to convert the forces of the Anti Christ, aka college proffessors and rock musicians.

http://leftbehind.wikia.com/wiki/Left_Behind:_Eternal_Forces

There was a mild controversy about that when it people realized part of the gameplay involved machine gunning heretics with Christian soldiers, such as Jews and Muslims. Sure you lost points for not converting them, but it was still possible and viable.

Modern American Protestantism is a goddamn scary thing, and it's so mainstream no one even thinks about it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You should play the RTS Left Behind game. You use gospel singers and youth pasters to convert the forces of the Anti Christ, aka college proffessors and rock musicians.

http://leftbehind.wikia.com/wiki/Left_Behind:_Eternal_Forces
I love everything about this Wikia page: The writing that's clear but not quite up to Wikipedia's standards, the subtle ways in which it demonizes the left ... just beautiful.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dont forget the mountain of spyware it came with!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best part of the Left Behind video games was that one of them let you play as the Antichrists forces.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Other than a copy of Jesus Christ Superstar (which I never watched)

You should change that, Jesus Christ Superstar is great.
Like it's already been said, though, it's not really in the same spirit as the rest of this thread, hardly the same audience as Left Behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_mJgVwQ3Qw

It's shot in Israel and there's a lot of great looking locations. Also I love how half the Roman soldiers have spears and the other half guns.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's also the 2000 version which feels more like a stage production that's also a pretty interesting interpretation of the story and coaxes performances I prefer out of a bunch of the supporting characters like Simon and the Pharisees.

Though really, you're not going wrong with either, both are well worth a watch, and a solid palate cleanser from most of the things in this thread.

Plus hey, gently caress the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8cVnYO3AM&t=176s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gils posted:

Like it's already been said, though, it's not really in the same spirit as the rest of this thread, hardly the same audience as Left Behind.

It's shot in Israel and there's a lot of great looking locations. Also I love how half the Roman soldiers have spears and the other half guns.
That and Carl Anderson's performance of Judas is just mesmorizing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-voeq7Cebo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNj4UGjvSU
That and I always loved the title track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVr2uks0C8

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gils posted:

I don't like hippies or evangelicals so I imagine this movie would be hell for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

I stopped going to church a while back, but the last time I was there, my father was teaching Preterist theology in Sunday School. He is a cool dad, even if Preterism is kind of an unpopular, out-there view.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's maybe not a Christian movie in the sense of most if what's been discussed, but The Apostle (1997) is a great movie. It was Robert Duvall's passion project- he wrote directed and starred in it, and I believe did a good bit of fundraising for it. The central character is an honest-to-god human being who believes 100% in what he's teaching and is kind of a con man (but not a hypocrite) at the same time. It's got an ambiguity that you wouldn't find in a church-produced Fireproof type movie, but has a genuine respect for its subject and his faith that you wouldn't find in many mainstream pictures.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Random Stranger posted:

You never see protestants kicking vampire rear end.

Solomon Kane is a "Puritan" (it's in scare quotes because Kane cares less about religious orthodoxy than he does about kicking both supernatural and mundane rear end).

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I stopped going to church a while back, but the last time I was there, my father was teaching Preterist theology in Sunday School. He is a cool dad, even if Preterism is kind of an unpopular, out-there view.

Preterism does appear to be growing, and I think it's due to the fact that the Dispensational Premillennialists have been trying to push this agenda of the "end coming soon" for so many years now, and it's not happening, and people are realizing it's nonsense (also as we move further away from the creation of the country of "Israel", it makes the theology they are trying to expound more and more difficult to make sense of).

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's maybe not a Christian movie in the sense of most if what's been discussed, but The Apostle (1997) is a great movie. It was Robert Duvall's passion project- he wrote directed and starred in it, and I believe did a good bit of fundraising for it. The central character is an honest-to-god human being who believes 100% in what he's teaching and is kind of a con man (but not a hypocrite) at the same time. It's got an ambiguity that you wouldn't find in a church-produced Fireproof type movie, but has a genuine respect for its subject and his faith that you wouldn't find in many mainstream pictures.

Haven't seen it since I was in high school, but I remember this being pretty great. Actually, Robert Duvall starred in another great Christian movie called Tender Mercies (1983) about a washed up country singer finding redemption and forgiveness and putting his life back together. (A lot of similarities with Crazy Heart, which also had Duvall.) The main character's conversion to Christianity plays a huge part in the movie, but it wasn't made by a Christian production company so I guess it's not really a "Christian" movie like most in this thread.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Malaleb posted:

Haven't seen it since I was in high school, but I remember this being pretty great. Actually, Robert Duvall starred in another great Christian movie called Tender Mercies (1983) about a washed up country singer finding redemption and forgiveness and putting his life back together. (A lot of similarities with Crazy Heart, which also had Duvall.) The main character's conversion to Christianity plays a huge part in the movie, but it wasn't made by a Christian production company so I guess it's not really a "Christian" movie like most in this thread.

I think bringing up "Christian" movies made by secular companies is perfectly fine. They serve as a parallel between them and Christian movie companies that try to make purely Christian movies. Ultimately, I think secular films centered around Christianity show what Christian movies are missing.

Also, I'll get to Megiddo soon enough. Holidays and all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Malaleb posted:

I was almost going to mention Tender Mercies. I love it a lot, but it had been a while since I'd seen it and I couldn't remember how much his conversion is spelled out.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I watched a short film called Final Exit when I was in middle school youth group in the 90s. Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgKItt2O-eo. At one point in my life, I found this video very compelling, but watching it now, it is absolutely atrocious.

I don't want to rewatch the whole thing, but here is what I remember. It starts off with a guy about to be executed for murder. The victim's sister and her friend are there to witness, and this older liberal academic-type is there to protest the death penalty. During the execution, some guy shows up to assassinate the liberal academic and ends up shooting the victim's sister and her friend. All of them, the murderer included, end up in this white void where an angel and the devil show up to talk about their upcoming judgement. The film makes sure not to tell you for sure what is going to happen to them (because only God can do that), but it makes it pretty darn clear through black and white flashbacks what is going to happen to each of them.

-The convicted murderer - heaven - because even though he was a terrible person, he believed in God and said a prayer before he was killed (Whew! Close one.)
-The liberal academic - hell - because even though he went to church and was seen as a good member of society, he was an atheist at heart and was unswayed by the "Liar, Lunatic, Savior" argument.
-The victim's sister - heaven - because she not only went to youth group but she said a prayer (saying the right prayer seems to be the key) and she legit believed in Jesus.
-Her friend - hell - because even though he went to youth group he never said that prayer.

I can understand the intent behind the film, because I used to believe the same stuff myself, but this film is truly awful. At one point the victim's sister is treated to a vision of her sister (the one who was murdered) burning in hell, because she wasn't a real Christian. Oh, and the movie ends with the academic's funeral as his pastor delivers a sermon about how good of a guy he was and how he is surely in heaven (Oh, the irony!).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I interpret Dead Man Walking as a relatively Christian movie and it was decent enough.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Malaleb posted:

I watched a short film called Final Exit when I was in middle school youth group in the 90s. Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgKItt2O-eo. At one point in my life, I found this video very compelling, but watching it now, it is absolutely atrocious.

The film makes sure not to tell you for sure what is going to happen to them (because only God can do that), but it makes it pretty darn clear through black and white flashbacks what is going to happen to each of them.

-The convicted murderer - heaven - because even though he was a terrible person, he believed in God and said a prayer before he was killed (Whew! Close one.)
-The liberal academic - hell - because even though he went to church and was seen as a good member of society, he was an atheist at heart and was unswayed by the "Liar, Lunatic, Savior" argument.
-The victim's sister - heaven - because she not only went to youth group but she said a prayer (saying the right prayer seems to be the key) and she legit believed in Jesus.
-Her friend - hell - because even though he went to youth group he never said that prayer.

And poo poo like this is why the world is such a horrible place. By making the way into heaven the equivalent of giving the password to a bouncer at a club, you open the door to all sorts of justifications for continuing pain and misery in the world. Everyone knows it's hard work serving their fellow man, but it costs nothing to say a prayer for Jebus.

This is kinda why I like the message of This Is The End, where the characters who get into heaven have to prove themselves worthy through self-sacrifice and piety. When all of the survivors find out about the calling up, there's even a point where they start cleaning up their language and kind words, at which point Jay Baruchel admits it's not going to work, it has to be deeds.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Just Offscreen posted:

All this discussion of terrible Christian children's shows and none has mentioned The Kingdom Chums Original Top Ten yet?

It's really something else.

Holy poo poo I remember watching this when I was younger, and liking it enough to watch it multiple times.

I forgot about it until fairly recently, though. Mostly just remembering it as a tape I used to watch about some crazy rear end game through different landscapes/worlds, with most of the Ten Commandments details forgotten.

I think the only reason I liked it when I did was because the whole "quest for 10 golden records" made it feel more like a fantasy, and I'm pretty sure I mixed it in my memory of other trippy movies.

I first heard about Bibleman on these forums, and watched a complete episode as a result. It's as terrible as people say.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

So, although it doesn't quite count as fundy propaganda, since it was apparently (inexplicably) made by a Jewish director, has anyone here ever seen 1991's The Rapture?

"It goes places movies seldom dare to go" -For good reason.

My father and I ended up going into this blind on a VHS we had found buried in the bookshelf years ago. It is a weird loving movie. It bounces between debauched swinger sex in a furniture store with a mullet-donning David Duchovny to smug holier-than-thou apocalyptic death-cult evangelizing. Also there's a hobo who really doesn't know when to shut the gently caress up about Maine and clone sex, or something.

We Hate Movies did a great summation of the film, which forced me to rekindle my interest in the flick: http://www.whmpodcast.com/2012/12/episode-89-rapture.html

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vedius Pollio posted:

So, although it doesn't quite count as fundy propaganda, since it was apparently (inexplicably) made by a Jewish director, has anyone here ever seen 1991's The Rapture?

"It goes places movies seldom dare to go" -For good reason.

My father and I ended up going into this blind on a VHS we had found buried in the bookshelf years ago. It is a weird loving movie. It bounces between debauched swinger sex in a furniture store with a mullet-donning David Duchovny to smug holier-than-thou apocalyptic death-cult evangelizing. Also there's a hobo who really doesn't know when to shut the gently caress up about Maine and clone sex, or something.

We Hate Movies did a great summation of the film, which forced me to rekindle my interest in the flick: http://www.whmpodcast.com/2012/12/episode-89-rapture.html

Yeah, I've seen it although it's been awhile and I might forget stuff and put things out of order. The interesting thing about the movie is that, up until the last fifteen-twenty minutes, it's played as a psychological thriller. You're not sure if Mimi Rogers has cracked from all these pressures and has latched onto the Rapture as some means to find a way to find some sense of meaning in her life, which unfortunately leads her to the conclusion to kill her daughter because she can't wait for the Rapture to come any longer.

And then the horns blow.

It also challenges the annoying point of the whole "Say the 'Jesus' password to the bouncer" concept when the lifelong atheist says the magic words and is ushered into heaven almost immediately after the Rapture happens, while Mimi Rogers' character stays in purgatory by her own volition, refusing to accept God because of what God has done to her.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I don't know if this counts since it hasn't been released yet, but God Isn't Dead is coming to theaters this year. Here is the trailer and, oh man, I almost want to see it just for a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8

For those that don't want to click on the link, the movie is basically filled with every cliche thing christian parents tell their kids will happen in college. The professor requires his students to write "god is dead" on the first day of class, but the strong christian student says no! So he sets about defending his point of view but the evil professor is threatening to fail him and the best line is said "Are you failing me? Or are you failing God?!" It is so ridiculous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gatesealer posted:

I don't know if this counts since it hasn't been released yet, but God Isn't Dead is coming to theaters this year. Here is the trailer and, oh man, I almost want to see it just for a good laugh.

For those that don't want to click on the link, the movie is basically filled with every cliche thing christian parents tell their kids will happen in college. The professor requires his students to write "god is dead" on the first day of class, but the strong christian student says no! So he sets about defending his point of view but the evil professor is threatening to fail him and the best line is said "Are you failing me? Or are you failing God?!" It is so ridiculous.

Isn't that the exact plot of a Chick Tract?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I think so yes. It is every bad thing good christians are warned about when it comes to college. I used to be christian and even when I was I knew this was BS because I had older siblings in college who didn't have to deal with it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vedius Pollio posted:

It bounces between debauched swinger sex in a furniture store with a mullet-donning David Duchovny to smug holier-than-thou apocalyptic death-cult evangelizing.

Is this the one where Duchovny's character turns hyperchristian and ends up walking through work blowing everyone away with a shotgun?

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Not quite. Duchovny does inexplicably discard his atheist philosophy and hedonistic lifestyle midway through the film at the request of Mimi Rogers, and then they fast-forward 6 years and they're super christian and they have a daughter and he's the head of some kind of office firm, a big step up in a few years from his previous career of painting chairs, or something.

Then he fires some really weird atheist alcoholic who, because of his lack of moral-grounding in god and conviction that Duchovny is a "Bannahead" and an "A-hole", goes on a shooting rampage and kills Duchovny.

This movie makes no sense. It's basically a movie which espouses a smug, holier-than-thou Christian attitude while simultaneously glorifying swinger sex and explicitly depicting some pretty brutal violence, the most gross example being religiously motivated (when Mimi Rogers kills her daughter because she's tired of waiting for the Rapture). So it basically alienates its own target audience.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 2, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'd like to talk a little about a Christian movie that isn't completely terrible: Romero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hAdhmosepI

Released in 1989 and produced by a Paulist society of Roman Catholic priests, Romero tells the story of the late Archbishop Oscar Romero, the reluctant archbishop of San Salvador who slowly turned from hardline conservative to outspoken social activist as he learned more of the Salvadoran government's oppression and its human rights violations. Raul Julia is a powerhouse as Romero, and the cast also includes Richard Jordan and Tony Plana.

For a movie ostensibly intended as a propaganda piece, and despite its sometimes hilariously low production values, I still enjoy Romero cradle to grave, despite not having been in a Catholic church for more than a decade -- it's a legitimately good movie.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

gatesealer posted:

An ex of mine posted this trailer on Facebook not too long ago and sounded really excited about it coming out soon. I sometimes forget that just a few months after we broke up, she transitioned from being a relatively normal person who goes to church on occasion to a crazy religion-crazed one. She's also the kind of person that supports women's equality, etc. but is vehemently anti pro-choice, but that's for a different thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Iron Crowned posted:

Isn't that the exact plot of a Chick Tract?

It is.

I think both the Chick Tract and the film are based on the urban legend of Albert Einstein humilitating an atheist college professor.

Something I've been wondering about while reading this topic: are these Christian "propaganda" films uniquely a US phenomen or do they exist in other countries as well?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 2, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05Wmrqhqjs

Having been to a few church lock ins this trailer is extra hilarious to me. If one Playboy can do all this I can only assume all pornography stores are poltergeist filled hell swamps.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Having been to a few church lock ins this trailer is extra hilarious to me. If one Playboy can do all this I can only assume all pornography stores are poltergeist filled hell swamps.

"A correlation between pornography and demon activity"? So, instead of going for the obvious "reading/watching porno opens you up to demon possession and turns you into a goddamned rape monster, Ted Bundy-style", which is what I had thought this poo poo would go, they went with a Paranormal Activity ripoff?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So that's what the grunting and bumping noises from the neighboring booth were!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If one Playboy can do all this I can only assume all pornography stores are poltergeist filled hell swamps.

I don't imagine that's far from the truth.

Anyway, there's a seed of a funny idea in the trailer; I think it's self aware to a certain extent.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Forget Porn stores, what about the internet? Every computer, smart phone and tablet on this planet might as well just be a direct gate way hell itself.

I guess most demons are just a bit lazy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Here's one that sticks out in memory from my Serious Christian Days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeghFM0SL6Y
Finger Of God is about the charismatic/pentecostal movement in the United States, made for and by said groups. It's hard to quantify how bad it is, I'm not sure the trailer really captures the spirit of the film, which if memory serves is basically how the Holy Spirit will make it rain if you believe hard enough. It mentions faith healings and stuff, but it goes heavy on the gold dust, jewels, and other horse-poo poo in the actual documentary. It basically felt like the subtext of the thing was "come to our church and tithe and gold literally falls out of the sky".

I also visited a pentecostal "school" in north carolina and they screened a tell-all expose about the dangers of Buddhism. I will share that one as soon as I can find it. It features Richard Gere quotes heavily taken out of context to make the entire faith seem like a hollywood cult or something. It's really incredibly offensive, and was taught like the gospel truth. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Random Stranger posted:

I saw The Omega Code in the theater. It was one of the worst movie going experiences of my life.

My brother and I saw Omega Code in the theater, left partway through to sneak into another movie, and came back at the end and felt like we'd missed nothing. Not sure what exactly that means other than it's a bad film.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm a minute in and this is already amazing "Scientists say dinosaurs never co-existed with man, how do they know, I mean, were they there?"
The proper response is, "Yes, I was. How do you know I wasn't? Were you there?"

I found <a href=http://www.sybilludingtonmovie.com/>this movie</a> at the library. Sybil Ludington is a bit of a local heroine and in my state (NY) she was just added to the fourth-grade curriculum. I do reenactment and have been thinking of doing a first-person talk as an older Sybil Ludington so it seemed worth a look. But I've seen better acting by my friends doing Committee of Safety scenes at events (although to be fair those scenes mostly involve a lot of yelling). Also better characterization and more accurate hairstyles. Anyway it's distributed by a company with the word "ministries" in its title., which makes sense because it was the sort of uninspiring, unamusing badness that I've come to associate with Christian films.

eta:
Holy poo poo, it's Eddie Izzard!

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 4, 2014

• Locked thread