Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: nvm I can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Prison Warden posted:

The other is Brinnie, she's a Valkyrie.
What wait? When?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went and googled it and apparently brinnie is Brynhildr a Valkyrie sent to earth for going against Odin 's wishes. Tom also says that Valkyries "perform a similar function to psychopomps but are in a related field" or something like that. There's a thread about it linked in the citations of the GKC wiki I found.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Haiku posted:

What wait? When?

It was never covered in the comic - the plot line's been effectively discarded, and what people are quoting is what Tom has said in Q&A's since.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Whaddya mean discarded, do you have more info?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Pretty sure it hasn't been discarded, it's just one of the many hanging plot threads that Tom can tug on one of these days. The only thing I've ever heard mentioned as being a possible plot element that was tossed out was something to do with the glowing pictures on page 23.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Unless Brinnie taught the Donlans how to make the ZAM™ Beacon (or left a crate full of them) before going back to her home planet, it's a safe bet she - or someone related to her - will show up eventually.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Brinnie was relevant as recently as Microsat 5, so she's probably not out of the story yet.

And she was outed when Tom had her vanish into a valknut. One of the few occasions when a "Mystery solved" page actually solved a mystery, albeit only for folks who knew about a somewhat obscure Norse symbol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kat is both. Remember that Robot made a big deal out of her ability to activate as well as deactivate the Old Machines.

Paz is basically irrelevant as far as Robot and the robots are concerned, for now.
I don't know, Human religions are full of people who are only important because they hung around the godlike big players, but are still considered super important because of that. Paz could easily become St Paz or Paz the Disciple.

Actually there's a question. What do the Robots think of Annie? Is she important or just "and Annie was there too"?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
St Paz of the Truly Great Hair. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Splicer posted:

Actually there's a question. What do the Robots think of Annie? Is she important or just "and Annie was there too"?

She's the Prophet's mother, and the Creator's friend. Pretty important.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Cat Mattress posted:

She's the Prophet's mother, and the Creator's friend. Pretty important.

Especially important given that the robots seem to be trying to become more human - the Prophet having a human mother could be a pretty big deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Splicer posted:

I don't know, Human religions are full of people who are only important because they hung around the godlike big players, but are still considered super important because of that. Paz could easily become St Paz or Paz the Disciple.

On the other hand, the robots are demonstrably exceedingly different from humans in how they view many things. See their lack of giving a poo poo about the lack of reward they receive for their efforts, for example. There's also the fact that, despite Annie being there with Kat pretty much all the time, the robots have remarked on her exactly not at all and don't seem to care about her at all.

Anyhow, there's a reason why I include "for now". There basically isn't much use in speculating on how they see Paz because we don't even have so much as something that can be construed as evidence if you squint. We have nothing. Wait and see :v:

ionicism posted:

Especially important given that the robots seem to be trying to become more human - the Prophet having a human mother could be a pretty big deal.

I'm not sure "trying to become more human" is accurate. Trying to become more truly alive seems to be the idea, and that is an important difference.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 26, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I'm not sure "trying to become more human" is accurate. Trying to become more truly alive seems to be the idea, and that is an important difference.

More human in the Star Trek sense then? :v:

Hexlotl
Nov 6, 2012
Tangentially related to the Robot Jesus discussion, what about the fact that Kat is trying to grow a robot that looks like a bird? The Tic-Tocs grow and look like birds, and we already know that the robots think they were created by a god or angel. If Kat really manages to make a robo-bird, she's going to hit all the notes to be considered a Divine Creator, and then there's really going to be trouble.

Or parties. You never know, in Gunnerkrigg.

Also maybe Coyote's got the wrong idea and the Court isn't trying to become god, it's trying to make gods?

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Yeah, on second thought "human" doesn't seem quite right. It does seem like they're already alive, though. They can die, even if it's a very electronic sort of death, and they're definitely animate in a way that's far beyond automation. It's more like they're trying to become organic, with everything that entails, including a "proper death."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hexlotl posted:

Or parties.

Also maybe Coyote's got the wrong idea and the Court isn't trying to become god, it's trying to make gods?

What's the difference :v:

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Don't forget that Robot Jesus went into the forest and came back with an organic part . A combination of the new spirituality and the creation by the court could lead to a future where robots are free to cross between both worlds. With two humans as mediums, they might be able to visit the forest someday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

More human in the Star Trek sense then? :v:

Data was such a huge racist.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The robots are going to get weird about this religion thing, aren't they?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Going to get weird?

I think they crossed over the border into weird territory back in Sky Watcher and the Angel (no link because I'm not that cruel).

<edit>Got my chapters mixed up, which is the one where Kat reactivates the old robot?

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2013

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

Oneiros posted:

Got my chapters mixed up, which is the one where Kat reactivates the old robot?

Give and Take

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Give and Take.

e:f,b

Robot gets creepier every time, I swear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He used to be so cute when he was worried about his mommy and zipping around in a little mouse body.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pretty sure it hasn't been discarded, it's just one of the many hanging plot threads that Tom can tug on one of these days. The only thing I've ever heard mentioned as being a possible plot element that was tossed out was something to do with the glowing pictures on page 23.

So this link here made me do the Gunnerkrigg thing where you get distracted and end up reading 5 whole chapters before you come to your senses. I realized something though and that's that even though Tom's art style in the early chapters is very primitive (to say the least), stylistically its very consistent with the more recent chapters. He is experimenting with oddly shaped panels and perspective even at the very start of this comic, before his drawing skills could really match it. To me this proves that while drawing is a soft skill that Tom dramatically improved on, the artistry that makes this comic so good was always there. I guess he just has some sort of natural talent.

This comic is so loving good.

paragon1 posted:

Religion is pretty weird in general, so far the robots are acting pretty benign though, I don't think they could be considered harmful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jhordhynne posted:

Don't forget that Robot Jesus went into the forest and came back with an organic part . A combination of the new spirituality and the creation by the court could lead to a future where robots are free to cross between both worlds. With two humans as mediums, they might be able to visit the forest someday.

Makes me wonder whether - or, more likely, in what way - coyote tampered with Robot.

A robot named Robot hits some nice mythic notes too, of course; like a man named Adam, or at least the dude being symbolic of his kind. Shadow2's name takes on significance in light of that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't think this is Coyotes doing. Remember that the other robots implied that Robot being a religious preacher is what got him deactivated and put in storage where Annie found him in the first place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Vorpal Cat posted:

This comic really does have the greatest faces.

Sorry, no, that is Cucumber Quest

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Fried Chicken posted:

Sorry, no, that is Cucumber Quest

Ehhhhhhh.

For a less rediculous example, try these two pages.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Onean posted:

Ehhhhhhh.

For a less rediculous example, try these two pages.

I think that, if they could, Paranatural, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Cucumber Quest would all be friends and tell each other that they all had some pretty good faces.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I think that, if they could, Paranatural, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Cucumber Quest would all be friends and tell each other that they all had some pretty good faces.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
"His name is Robert Paulson"

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
What the poo poo, Robot, that is super creepy.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

"His name is Robert Paulson"

Robot and the narrator are the same person!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Have I mentioned that Robot's cult of Kat is incredibly worrying. Because every time it comes up it becomes increasingly alarming.

(good way to end a nice chapter, with a twist of dread from this)

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Okay, someone needs to rein in Robot. Even Secret Servicebot is in on the cult. This goes all the way up, folks.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Here lies Wingy. Its death was much like its life: debatable.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Man, Kat should really stop being so flippant about the way the robots treat her, and also the way she treats the robots. She didn't really give a second thought to creating and blowing up the "living" robot, only that it was weeks of wasted work, and she always brushes off their adulation like it's a little embarrassing. Of course, judging by Zimmy, there's a lot of legitimacy to their worship that hasn't emerged yet.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
:stare: Man, I guess that's one way to end a chapter. Every time I think Robot is on a fairly even keel after all he finds a way to make me doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That doesn't bode well. Nope. Not one bit.