Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Who says it has to be "half-assed shovelware"? Dimensions certainly didn't feel like that to me. Hell, I'd rather play Dimensions than 13 or its iterations.

I tried to enjoy Dimensions but it was a really badly constructed campaign with a shoddy script even by videogame standards, the battle system might have been fun but being drip fed a single job every four to five dungeons was terrible design and dragged any pacing the game had right down. Maybe Matrix could do a better job if they weren't working to an episodic format, but they've yet to make an actually great title like Silicon did with Bravely Default and looking at their back catalog, I really don't think they have it in them. And regardless, when studios commission mirror titles for handhelds they seldom care about producing a high quality game so much as they do producing a cost-efficient title to sell on the name, see: any modern Sonic title, Movie: the game or any sports franchise title, do you actually think SE would actually shell out for the talent and development time to authentically re-imagine FFXV as traditional title or is it perhaps more likely that they'll give Matrix a seven month contract and have 'it doesn't crash on startup' as the main design goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm afraid I'd have to restart the game to get a screencap, because it's only in that one instance, and he's got the correct model in all others. If you want to see it for yourself, it's not far into the game. When Cid first appears in the Garden lobby, you'll see his hi-res model, then the camera angle will change and he'll be a horrific pixel monster.

Are you sure thats not how it was originally?

They do that often in VIII, I think its because they were hitting draw call limits on the polys for the characters, so they'd only be allowed to have X full detailed characters on-screen at once, so they'd bake sprite versions of some characters into the backgrounds, so they don't have to be rendered at all, but are still visible.

Problem being since you have a maximum texture resolution on your backgrounds, a small section of that is going to be way lower resolution than the rendered polygons its replacing.

Watch the opening sequence in Quistis' school room. There's like 8 students in there, but only like 4 are real people with polygons, the other 4 are a blurry mess of pixels. Then when everybody gets up to leave the room, suddenly there's only 4 people, and the other 4 already got up! That's because they couldn't properly animate them without putting in tons more work.

ShineDog posted:

There are plenty out bits in the old games where people are rendered as part of the background aren't there? Doesn't that look really weird with model swap mods? Those are always going to be weird chubby duders

I was afriad of that, but they've also redone the backgrounds too, so its possible they could have fixed those or rendered them at higher resolution or something and baked them in.

So far I honestly haven't noticed much. Playing FFVII with the mods for using battle models and other cleaned up models in the overworld looks fantastic, and mostly still fits in the same style. There are other models for cloud that are based on advent children and such that don't fit in and stick out like a sore thumb, but I disabled those and opted for things more tasteful. But still WAY better than popeye arms.

Even little things that I expected to be wrong are still corrected. Young Tifa and Cloud during the flashback looked great, they had tons more polys than the original version but still animated properly.

So I guess I'll let you know if I run into anything terrible, but so far it looks great. Really great.

That said, this is VII, which has WAY more modding development. I hear VIII has like none and I bet as a result if you modded it, then it'd look all kinds of unbalanced.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 26, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

or any sports franchise title

EA made an excellent port of Fight Night Champion for iOS, except for the smaller roster and lack of story mode (and story mode was dumb in the regular game) it's on par with the console version and basically the best boxing game ever made.

Their Need For Speed ports are really good as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Companies have made low budget mobile versions of games for 20 or so years now. Are there people that don't know what a gameboy is or what? I don't think SE is competent enough to make a mobile ff alongside a console version but if they did they absolutely need to cut ties with groups likes matrix.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Fister Roboto posted:

If you loved Xenosaga, then you'll really love Xenogears. Just keep in mind that this is not a common sentiment.

I loved it, it was way over the top ridiculous, the plot made no sense, the cutscenes were often over 30 minutes long, and it was awesome. I finally did finish Kislev today, it was a struggle, but thank god I'm out of that stupid prison.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

8-4 has like 5 people working for them, they probably couldn't take on every project even if S-E wanted, especially because they're working for other companies at the same time.

That's why those five people would be in charge and given authority to reshape the international releases of Final Fantasy games as they saw fit, of course. This is an alternate universe where Square makes good decisions we're discussing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

That's why those five people would be in charge and given authority to reshape the international releases of Final Fantasy games as they saw fit, of course. This is an alternate universe where Square makes good decisions we're discussing.

8-5 are not a magical band of superwriters. They do well because they have good material to work with. They did Tales of Xillia for example which has a fine translation but is nowhere near as full of character and like as Nier. They've certainly brought their own flavor to material but I doubt 8-5 being in control of FFXIII would have been anything more than a bandaid on the problem. You need a good combination of good translators and good original writers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 27, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

8-5 are not a magical band of superwriters. They do well because they have good material to work with. They did Tales of Xillia for example which has a fine translation but is nowhere near as full of character and like as Nier. They've certainly brought their own flavor to material but I doubt 8-5 being in control of FFXIII would have been anything more than a bandaid on the problem. You need a good combination of good translators and good original writers.

What you're saying is true, but Xillia is one of very few Tales games that doesn't make me roll my eyes into my own skull, and the translation is a big part of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-4 also did Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

I liked the game but it kinda proves what Imp was saying. You can only make do with what you are given.

semiavrage posted:

I loved it, it was way over the top ridiculous, the plot made no sense, the cutscenes were often over 30 minutes long, and it was awesome. I finally did finish Kislev today, it was a struggle, but thank god I'm out of that stupid prison.

Well if it's any consolation, I'd say Xenogears does make sense insofar as everything comes together more logically and with better explanations than in Xenosaga.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't want to believe they submitted the whole "nappy time" set of lines.

:smith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

NikkolasKing posted:

Now there's something I wouldn't want on my CV.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have to believe they were given a directive from higher-up that they were supposed to stick as closely as possible to the Japanese material, kind of like the VAs for the English version of FF13.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The localization was the least of that game's problems. You can't really fix a game like SO4 unless you just invent your own script and ignore what they are actually saying.

And the game was a pretty decent seller so I doubt 8-4 really cares if it was creepy otaku poo poo or not. Honestly if your gig is translating Japanese stuff, you should hire the most non-judgmental people possible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What made Nier's localization good was the amount of work put into it, culminating in them making an entirely new model for Nier and rewriting his relationship with Yonah. That's the kind of stuff they need to do more of.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Didn't Star Ocean: The Last Hope NOT have that stupid loving "'kay?" vocal quirk in japanese?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Defiance Industries posted:

What made Nier's localization good was the amount of work put into it, culminating in them making an entirely new model for Nier and rewriting his relationship with Yonah. That's the kind of stuff they need to do more of.

The brother version of Nier was just an alternate release in Japan, I think. They didn't change it from that, we just didn't get it.

e: yeah, the brother version was "Replicant," and the one we got was "Gestalt."

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 27, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MrAristocrates posted:

The brother version of Nier was just an alternate release in Japan, I think. They didn't change it from that, we just didn't get it.

The brother Nier version was the original version, which they released with Japan in mind (hence, why the version split in Japan is Brother-PS3, Dad-360). I don't know who it was, but some unsung genius actually took the time to say "hey, aren't Western family dynamics really different, and this relationship between a brother and sister would be really weird to them as a result?" And the Dadass Nier was born, and released as the version for the West on both platforms.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, wasn't aware of the finer details there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raruna posted:

Didn't Star Ocean: The Last Hope NOT have that stupid loving "'kay?" vocal quirk in japanese?

Apparently that was just their adaptation. She still had a verbal tic in the original but it was "nano yo." Kinda curious now what that even means.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"yo" is a particle that's kind of like an exclamation point. According to my dictionary "nano" is a copula that is only used when you are speaking in a feminine manner. So she's basically ending every single sentence with "__________, it is!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

1st AD posted:

If Square were smart they'd do a parallel mobile development of FFXV using the Dimensions engine and roll it into the (probably) already massive budget for the game. EA notably does this for a lot of titles and the results aren't always terrible, plus it fits in with Square's desire to shift more resources towards mobile gaming.

They could do the whole game in the style of FFVI, and that'd be fine by me.

Original Size

God, that took me far too long to make.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That is really very good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68045/final-fantasy-x-3-a-possibility-says-ffx-scenario-writer-kazushige-nojima

So... Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy X?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Give us the prequel where we play as Jecht, Auron and Braska. Dresspheres are changed into beardspheres.

Game would be awesome. Keep the battle system from 10-2 or evolve it further.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wendell posted:

That is really very good.

The background was from Secret of Evermore, with the layout and palette changed. Noctis is made up of parts of Locke and Celes, and the swords are from All the Bravest, although I had to redraw the Buster Sword since it only had it at a 45 degree angle.

I should have redrawn the floor tiles to look like the ones in the trailer, I didn't apply a shadow to the statues, and I forgot to draw a handle for the gunblade. It's based on the very first trailer, so Noctis has his leather outfit with a massive popped collar (although not very visible with the colour palette I used), and is by himself. The screen wasn't big enough to show the soldiers preparing to attack him at the bottom of the stairs.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I gotta admit, a prequel game with a shoopuff slicing minigame would be pretty rad.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I gotta admit, a prequel game with a shoopuff slicing minigame would be pretty rad.

Only if Auron kills it with OverDrunk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You gotta wonder how popular Prequel Auron would be. Judging from the Jecht Spheres, he was completely the opposite of how he is in X; loud, opinionated, rather big Yevonite....

Plus no one seems to remember that the game can only have the biggest downer of an ending. Might even have Auron vs. Yunalescas a "final boss" you can't beat and results in you getting your rear end kicked and nearly dying after your closest friends were all sacrificed pointlessly.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NikkolasKing posted:

You gotta wonder how popular Prequel Auron would be. Judging from the Jecht Spheres, he was completely the opposite of how he is in X; loud, opinionated, rather big Yevonite...

Well, people like Wakka, don't they?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Crisis Core had a heavy downer of an ending, and it was a really powerful sequence. Tragedies are unusual in gaming, but they aren't inherently bad!

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Wendell posted:

Crisis Core had a heavy downer of an ending, and it was a really powerful sequence. Tragedies are unusual in gaming, but they aren't inherently bad!

This is the truth. I honestly think Crisis Core had an ending we all knew after playing FFVII would be a downer, but the way it was handled didn't make it any less impacting.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

They beat up Gackt, don't they. :(

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish Square Enix would make sequels to good games. I also wish Crisis Core wasn't such a crisis chore to play because I want more FF7 story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Armor-Piercing posted:

They beat up Gackt, don't they. :(

Uh yeah, that was the best part of Crisis Core.

Overbite posted:

I wish Square Enix would make sequels to good games. I also wish Crisis Core wasn't such a crisis chore to play because I want more FF7 story.

You apologize to Crisis Core right now, it is easily the best Final Fantasy 7 thing to come out of the Collection and even if that's not a high benchmark it's still awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You know, 'tis the season for playing a Square game with a strong female protagonist and Tetsuya Nomura designing clothes a human being might actually wear.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really don't like CC's story or ending. I thought Zack's death was needlessly protracted for instance. Why did he keep talking after he said the all-important "living legacy" line and his arm dropped from Cloud? He should have died then as it would have been more fitting and more powerful.

But you guys are right. There's nothing at all wrong with a downer ending. I just don't think the game could be as silly as people are making it out to be. If they made the prequel, it be more in-line with X's tone IMO than with X-2's.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Overbite posted:

But do we really want something like FF5 or 6 to get a sequel like The After Years?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TheEggsBenedict posted:

But do we really want something like FF5 or 6 to get a sequel like The After Years?

I was talking something like Einhander 2.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You apologize to Crisis Core right now, it is easily the best Final Fantasy 7 thing to come out of the Collection and even if that's not a high benchmark it's still awesome.

It plays poorly and I hate the roulette thing that interrupts battles all the time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

alcharagia posted:

Well, people like Wakka, don't they?

They do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well the current rumors of X-3 are something.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Potential spoiler for voice drama added in the remaster:On one hand Tidus and Yuna breaking up is kind of funny, on the other hand that and Sin returning completely invalidates the previous games in my opinion.