Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My first ever demonspawn Queen finally loving died. She reigned continuously from around the time she turned 14 (after murdering her three brothers and dad conveniently dying in a war in Ireland) until she was 90. I've never had a ruler come anywhere NEAR 90 in the 300 hours or so I've played CK2, and it was frustrating as hell at the end, since my heirs were all off doing their own poo poo and I had no control over whom they married or who raised whom.

She did lose the demonspawn trait though at around age 30 after I got an exorcism event. That removed a lot of the malus associated with being a demonspawn, but she still heard Satan's voice in her head until her death. At a couple points she got some crazy modifiers, too, like "Jesus gives martial advice" or whatever, which increases your martial score by +20 for several years.

I'm starting to get bored up here as Scotland/Ireland/Wales, though. Going to just bumrush the Britannia achievement before I start a Byzantine ironman game instead, working my way up from a count-level title in 867. My map of Europe has gone off the rails pretty hilariously though - France hasn't existed for like a hundred years, and the Kingdom of Aquitaine is the superpower in Western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Eegah posted:

Is DLC disabled on the Mac or does the game need some special instruction to tell it that yes, I have the expansions installed? I have everything except SoA, everything is checked on the launcher but I can't choose a Pagan/Muslim ruler because it doesn't think I have the DLC.

Oh and the launcher crashes every time I launch from Steam.

E: Turns out you do -- Steam overlay has to be disabled for whatever reason. Weird.

Yeah, the Mac version is borked still. If you run it through Steam once, then all of your DLC should be available now if you launch CK2 outside of Steam.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

At some point in my CK2 copy, I permanently dismissed the notification that one of my grand/children needs education. I probably got annoyed with it, but now I'm getting back into CK2 and am ending up with illiterate teenagers because I forget to set them up with a good guardian. Is there any way to get that notification back without having to re-download CK2? Resetting to defaults doesn't seem to have worked.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

babies havin rabies posted:

At some point in my CK2 copy, I permanently dismissed the notification that one of my grand/children needs education. I probably got annoyed with it, but now I'm getting back into CK2 and am ending up with illiterate teenagers because I forget to set them up with a good guardian. Is there any way to get that notification back without having to re-download CK2? Resetting to defaults doesn't seem to have worked.

Yeah, notifications should be in the options. The problem is there's a huge list to sift through to find the child needs education one, but it's in there.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nolanar posted:

For people who want to bypass those cultural/religious requirements, but still want them to mean something, I uploaded that mod I mentioned. I don't know Fake Latin well enough to come up with a standard CK2 mod name, so I just called it Tweaked Titles. Download it here.

TinTower posted:

Because it's trivial but boring to code, I also did it myself:

Full Kingdom Control Minimod
Hey did either of you dudes update your mods? TinTower's is missing and Nolanar's doesn't work in 2.0.2 or whatever the latest version was.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

babies havin rabies posted:

Open the outliner options and enable 'disabled alerts'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

crm posted:

Hey did either of you dudes update your mods? TinTower's is missing and Nolanar's doesn't work in 2.0.2 or whatever the latest version was.

2.0.2 already has removed most of the cultural and religious requirement from most titles anyway.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

crm posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

2.0.2 already has removed most of the cultural and religious requirement from most titles anyway.

Yeah, that's my reason for not updating. If there are any with weird requirements left, let me know and I can throw together a new version once I'm back from visiting family.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, that's my reason for not updating. If there are any with weird requirements left, let me know and I can throw together a new version once I'm back from visiting family.

Several Empires have weird requirements (Mali, Italia, Abyssinia require specific kingdoms to form, the Latin Empire need Constantinople and no Byzantine Empire, Francia needs a kingdom outside de jure Francia to form, the HRE must be held by a Catholic) Jerusalem/Israel can only be formed by Christians/Jews.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 27, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know why CK2 refuses to launch for me if I edit any of the values in the Defines.lua file?
It launches fine with the default values, but as soon as I make any changes it crashes when I click "Start CKII" on the launcher.

This has only been happening since the SoA expansion came out as well.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. If anyone else has the same problem, it seems to be something with the Notepad messing things up. using Notepad++ works.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 27, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Several Empires have weird requirements (Mali, Italia, Abyssinia require specific kingdoms to form, the Latin Empire need Constantinople and no Byzantine Empire, Francia needs a kingdom outside de jure Francia to form, the HRE must be held by a Catholic) Jerusalem/Israel can only be formed by Christians/Jews.

Let me tell you about the fun times taking land for the kingdom of Sicily to be able to form the Empire of Italia:

:suicide:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 27, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

Oh man, it would be hilariously awesome -- if vanishingly improbable -- if Jeanne d'Arc were to give birth to the demonspawn child.

That happened to a guy on the Paradox Forums:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736028-From-Holy-Kingdom-to-Unholy-nightmare-Why-this-is-the-best-DLC-yet

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Don't think Not Jeanne gave birth to the demonspawn, he married Not Jeanne to his heir, the demonspawn was his daughter.

I got the event chain playing Elder Kings (tweaked to fit the setting), and I raised an eyebrow when my vassals bitched about a woman leading them, since this is Tamriel and a woman fighting isn't exactly uncommon.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Torrannor posted:

Latin Empire kinda makes sense since it's just the Catholic version of the ERE.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Don't think Not Jeanne gave birth to the demonspawn, he married Not Jeanne to his heir, the demonspawn was his daughter.

I got the event chain playing Elder Kings (tweaked to fit the setting), and I raised an eyebrow when my vassals bitched about a woman leading them, since this is Tamriel and a woman fighting isn't exactly uncommon.

Maybe it'd make more sense for them to bitch about the fact they're being lead by a commoner rather than her gender.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

This thread is amazing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

After playing around with Ck2+ I wish a mod like Ancient Religions was updated to have the religions, as that's the only thing I like about Ck2+. Well that and the ability to plan feasts/hunts/fairs. I guess back to just playing with VIET or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Eimi posted:

After playing around with Ck2+ I wish a mod like Ancient Religions was updated to have the religions, as that's the only thing I like about Ck2+. Well that and the ability to plan feasts/hunts/fairs. I guess back to just playing with VIET or something.

Ancient Religions is a mod on the Paradox forums, I think they're about to release their latest patch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JGBeagle posted:

Ancient Religions is a mod on the Paradox forums, I think they're about to release their latest patch.

What I mean is AR is just Hellenism and like parts of celtic. CK2+ has a lot more, like Egyptian. If Ancient Religions is updating I'll check and see what they added. I just know I like that part of CK2+ and hate...like everything else. Well some of the titles are cool, like being able to actually be Pharaoh. Clearly the answer is to just play more vikings til then. Try and start as norse and take over Perm for the best flag. (Bears rock.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 27, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

1066 Novgorod used to be my favourite start and I went back to it after the major changes and they've pretty much gutted the fun out of it since your father (GP of Kiev) doesn't run around Russia conquering his brothers while you slyly assassinate your own brothers. I decided to play as the father instead to get Russkaya Pravda and the cluster gently caress of vassal wars (all the Rurikids have claims on each other) meant that by the time my first ruler died and the GP of Novgorod inherited I was in my own vassal's jail after the AI lost a series of wars without my gentle guidance. Naturally, I attempted to imprison my captor, lost the coin toss, was immediately de-landed somehow and my son became Emperor of Russia and player character

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Eimi posted:

What I mean is AR is just Hellenism and like parts of celtic. CK2+ has a lot more, like Egyptian. If Ancient Religions is updating I'll check and see what they added. I just know I like that part of CK2+ and hate...like everything else. Well some of the titles are cool, like being able to actually be Pharaoh. Clearly the answer is to just play more vikings til then. Try and start as norse and take over Perm for the best flag. (Bears rock.)

Ancient Religions is made by the same guy but I think he also works with the CKII+ team and puts some of his work there first.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Haha, The Outside Bet is the ultimate "gently caress you" achievo. As Denmark you start with Min Crown Auth and Elective Succession so when you put together all your alliances, mercs and levies against England it too becomes Elective and you lose it as soon as you die.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

How do I get Sons of Abraham events to fire? I want to see the Demon Child event chain for myself and its ID is apparently 3000, but putting event 3000 into the console does nothing. Do I need to add something else for a DLC-specific event?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Blarghalt posted:

How do I get Sons of Abraham events to fire? I want to see the Demon Child event chain for myself and its ID is apparently 3000, but putting event 3000 into the console does nothing. Do I need to add something else for a DLC-specific event?

Do you have a child under 3?

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

Blarghalt posted:

You need a child under 3, and the proper syntax is "SoA.3000"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My compulsion to roleplay my characters just put me in the worst, best situation. I was playing a Greek Megaduke, a genius, leading a couple of factions against my liege. I marry another genius from Italy, and I get the "This is a marriage of love" event less than a year afterward. After 7 long years, she finally gives me a son, then gets pneumonia and dies. My mother, another 100/100 relation, who raised my character from childhood and was my regent/spymaster died two days later, or maybe earlier. My best friend, the Marshal of the Knights Hospitallier (met him on a pilgrimage) decided that since I was a heathen Orthodox, we couldn't be friends anymore. My liege threatens me and I have no choice (literally!!!) but to stop my factions. The "I miss my wife" event fires. I take the Celibacy/depression option. I marry a relative that I'm fond of and get another 100/100 relationship. Another marriage of love, only this one chaste, another kind of love. She dies less than a year later. I go into the Intrigue menu and commit suicide.

As a player, I honestly feel sad. That poor fuckin' guy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Does anybody have any strategies for a 1066 Navarra start? Your neighbors are all dynastic relations, a Muslim duchy that immediately gets poached by Castille, and loving France.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

DStecks posted:

Does anybody have any strategies for a 1066 Navarra start? Your neighbors are all dynastic relations, a Muslim duchy that immediately gets poached by Castille, and loving France.

I started a 1066 Barcelona game once, which is sorta the same I guess? Ignore France and don't holy war the Muslims yet, just expand east/west until you form a solid kindgom. As Navarra it shouldn't be too hard since it only needs like 3 counties.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

I started a 1066 Barcelona game once, which is sorta the same I guess? Ignore France and don't holy war the Muslims yet, just expand east/west until you form a solid kindgom. As Navarra it shouldn't be too hard since it only needs like 3 counties.

It's not really the same at all. :v:

OK, I think I've figured out a solid opener, at least: immediately, before the game ever unpauses, declare Holy War on the Muslim duchy to the south, then call in all your relatives. They'll very likely answer yes, and with their collective armies you should be able to take the Duchy of Aragon. From there, I'm not sure what to do next. I just got the Joan of Arc event chain, so relations with my nobles are pretty catastrophically low, which will stall expansion for quite a while. I'm thinking that my next move should be against Barcelona, since they aren't Jimena.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Here's an idea: Figure out which of your brothers/relatives has the lowest Diplomacy score and the "meanest" traits, and park your chancellor on the most powerful other relative. Wait for your relations to get to around 100 and then declare war on the Jerk. Your powerful relative should love you enough to side with you, or just plain stay out of it.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

DStecks posted:

It's not really the same at all. :v:

OK, I think I've figured out a solid opener, at least: immediately, before the game ever unpauses, declare Holy War on the Muslim duchy to the south, then call in all your relatives. They'll very likely answer yes, and with their collective armies you should be able to take the Duchy of Aragon. From there, I'm not sure what to do next. I just got the Joan of Arc event chain, so relations with my nobles are pretty catastrophically low, which will stall expansion for quite a while. I'm thinking that my next move should be against Barcelona, since they aren't Jimena.

That's pretty much what I do. Usually you can stab your way into inheriting some of your relatives' kingdoms as well if you're looking for an easy land grab; sometimes just bringing them on campaigns with you is enough to get at least one of them killed and leave you their land.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NatasDog posted:

That's pretty much what I do. Usually you can stab your way into inheriting some of your relatives' kingdoms as well if you're looking for an easy land grab; sometimes just bringing them on campaigns with you is enough to get at least one of them killed and leave you their land.

Bizarrely enough, I have never died in combat before. In my current Navarra game, I lost two kings in a span of about 5 years in combat.

I'm also not sure how effective stabbing would be, considering just how loving many Jimenas there are. It would heavily rely on luck, unless I'm missing something.

Losing Antzo IV so early is kind of a shame too, the guy starts with 5 bastards and no legitimate heirs, so theoretically, you can educate them all and then pick the best of them to be your heir (by only legitimizing the one you want to inherit). But he died long before any of them were adults, so his brother Ramiro inherited. Then promptly died in battle not 5 years later. So I'm now dealing with a regency due to playing a 6 year old, and a rebellion to deal with. On the plus side, inheriting at 6 means that the short reign penalty will be pretty much gone by the time he comes of age, and soon after, that sweet Basque cognatic succession.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anyone's looking to try this game out, I've got a steam gift cert. First PM gets it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Probably been asked before but whatever. How can I best minimise the impact of inheritance? I'm the Norse Pagan Emperor of Britannia and Scandinavia right now with over 100 vassals including a few Kingdoms. I'm getting old and my last few inheritances have been rocky, I kick it, my son's crowned Emperor and three civil wars kick off at once.

I always make sure my rulers have good diplomacy, all my kids are educated by Grey Eminences and the like so shoving aside people who whine about vassals not serving them is easy enough, but it's really loving hard to keep factions down and prevent those independence rebellions.

Should I stop killing my sons and allow the titles to be distributed (Gavelkind) or what? I suppose the benefit of civil wars is that it gives me the opportunity to revoke those pesky Kingdoms.

Obligatory map. I'm the red one. The Pope's not happy with me.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 28, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

I just tooled around with it and there are a couple of options for diplomatic expansion in addition to loving with the muslims. The first thing you wanna do is change your succession law to absolute cognatic. Next, marry the heir to Leon and matrilineal marry your sister to the King of either Castille or Galicia. Boom. You're set to hopefully merge crowns with another Spansih Kingdom. In the game I just started, my ruler was killed by the elder sister and from there I was able to switch to elective when my son was born (so I could skip the sisters and have him inherit Navarra and Castile). From there, my son became the heir to Galacia and one assassination later he's set to unite 3 crowns with a weak claim on the forth, which I will claim when I become him unless he takes it first.

Edit: make sure that you educate him yourself or he'll likely flip to Castilian which basically defeats the purpose of starting as Navarra.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 28, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nobody Interesting posted:

Should I stop killing my sons and allow the titles to be distributed (Gavelkind) or what?

Change succession laws...

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Change succession laws...

I could, but I need to change crown authority twice for that and I think you can only do that once in a lifetime.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nobody Interesting posted:

I could, but I need to change crown authority twice for that and I think you can only do that once in a lifetime.

Change to elective.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For anyone trying Navarra, don't do what I did and invade France before completely neutering the muslims. They will bite back. :gonk:

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If anyone's looking to try this game out, I've got a steam gift cert. First PM gets it.

thank you for this, by the way! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Just ran into a stumbling block on my 1066 Neapolis Ironman game. Things were going well, and I just conquered enough to usurp Sicily. I just needed to wait for the vultures to finish their wars with the last king. Unfortunately, one of those vultures was one of my new Norman vassals, who won the king title, and is now subject to the Basileus. Which means I can't usurp the title. I can't swear allegiance either, as I already have the Basileus as my liege. Ugh.

• Locked thread