Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

It would be cool if AT&T let you rollover data like minutes. I'd probably drop unlimited for that. (Although I bet it would be a mobile share thing which I'm not on)

Honestly I would bet on it sometime down the road, competition will drive them to do different things. How they do it who knows, but I would bet on stuff like nights and weekends and roll over at some point. Probably not soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Beefstorm posted:

Maybe I'm just clinically retarded. What exactly am I looking at?

Sorry, I'm not very good a spreadsheet design, but for the top one, it's just comparing prices of the various tier/price combos.

Take for example 4 smartphones on the old mobile share plans. What's the point of getting 4 smartphones with the 2 GB plan when the 6 GB is the same price.

As for the second chart, it's comparing the new Value (subsidized) prices to the old share plans. The main point there is that the majority of prices for plans between 6 GB and 20 GB went up.

:shrug:

banana tophat
Apr 25, 2007
I won't accept that anecdotal evidence is irrelevant in the face of actual data, because I lack critical thinking skills.

It is impossible to engage me in reasonable discussion, ignore my posts.
I've been with Sprint for a few years now, and have always hated their coverage, and false promises of 4G in my area that should have been here 2+ years ago. So I'm looking into AT&T.

I'm looking for a plan for 2 smartphones. I'm currently paying $150 a month with Sprint's unlimited data and 1500 minutes (I think), so anything close to that would be perfect.

I went onto the AT&T website and added:
- 4GB mobile share
- iPhone 5S
- Lumia 1520 (I know, it's a monster, but I want it)
- both with basic insurance

After all was said and done, I wound up with a $163 monthly estimate. After taxes, this will be well over my $150/mo that I'm paying currently. Any idea what the taxes might be in PA?

I'm curious, are there any other plans, possibly with less minutes? It seems my only option with AT&T is unlimited everything +data. My wife and I rarely ever call people, and we're on wi-fi whenever possible. The only possibility I see is to shave off a couple bucks by going 2GB, but that's not a whole lot. Removing the insurance is probably a bad idea, because my wife and I have both had to get replacement phones with Sprint. Hers was from a drop, mine was an antenna that died after a while (does AT&T cover fall damage?)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

banana tophat posted:

I've been with Sprint for a few years now, and have always hated their coverage, and false promises of 4G in my area that should have been here 2+ years ago. So I'm looking into AT&T.

I'm looking for a plan for 2 smartphones. I'm currently paying $150 a month with Sprint's unlimited data and 1500 minutes (I think), so anything close to that would be perfect.

I went onto the AT&T website and added:
- 4GB mobile share
- iPhone 5S
- Lumia 1520 (I know, it's a monster, but I want it)
- both with basic insurance

After all was said and done, I wound up with a $163 monthly estimate. After taxes, this will be well over my $150/mo that I'm paying currently. Any idea what the taxes might be in PA?

I'm curious, are there any other plans, possibly with less minutes? It seems my only option with AT&T is unlimited everything +data. My wife and I rarely ever call people, and we're on wi-fi whenever possible. The only possibility I see is to shave off a couple bucks by going 2GB, but that's not a whole lot. Removing the insurance is probably a bad idea, because my wife and I have both had to get replacement phones with Sprint. Hers was from a drop, mine was an antenna that died after a while (does AT&T cover fall damage?)

ATT could be a few more $$ than sprint because the coverage and data speeds are better.

Your Sprint plan currently would be $150+ tax currently, so check and see if you are getting a discount on your plan. If so, maybe you can get one with ATT (or you have a false discount on Sprint, which is possible).

Insurance is $7 a month and if either phone is broken or lost it is $199 to swap out. Up to you if you want that or not.

And where in PA are you? Just FYI taxes are going to be like on sprint, stage and federal tax and the standard processing fees and the like, so taxes and fees add up to about 15%.

Phone wise what are your current smartphones? You can get a trade in credit depending on what they are.

And FYI ATT Next can make sense on the 4GB plan, here are the numbers for one specific line:

Option 1: 2 year contract:
Pay $236 (act fee) for phone.
Pay $40 over 24 months = $960
$960 + $236 = $1196

Option 2: ATT Next
Pay $32.5 over 20 months for phone = $650
Pay $25 over 24 months = $600
$600 + $650 = $1250

So basically, ATT Next might be about $50 more over the 2 years, but I would say advantages are you don't pay up front and you have the option to trade in your phone in a year for a new phone if so desired.

Good to mention with either Next or standard two year contract once you are out of said agreement, your plan goes down to $120 (drop insurance when you are out of contract) until you next get a discounted phone or next plan. Kind of nice.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 15, 2013

banana tophat
Apr 25, 2007
I won't accept that anecdotal evidence is irrelevant in the face of actual data, because I lack critical thinking skills.

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT could be a few more $$ than sprint because the coverage and data speeds are better.

Your Sprint plan currently would be $150+ tax currently, so check and see if you are getting a discount on your plan. If so, maybe you can get one with ATT (or you have a false discount on Sprint, which is possible).

Insurance is $7 a month and if either phone is broken or lost it is $199 to swap out. Up to you if you want that or not.

And where in PA are you? Just FYI taxes are going to be like on sprint, stage and federal tax and the standard processing fees and the like, so taxes and fees add up to about 15%.

Phone wise what are your current smartphones? You can get a trade in credit depending on what they are.

And FYI ATT Next can make sense on the 4GB plan, here are the numbers for one specific line:

Option 1: 2 year contract:
Pay $236 (act fee) for phone.
Pay $40 over 24 months = $960
$960 + $236 = $1196

Option 2: ATT Next
Pay $32.5 over 20 months for phone = $650
Pay $25 over 24 months = $600
$600 + $650 = $1250

So basically, ATT Next might be about $50 more over the 2 years, but I would say advantages are you don't pay up front and you have the option to trade in your phone in a year for a new phone if so desired.

Good to mention with either Next or standard two year contract once you are out of said agreement, your plan goes down to $120 (drop insurance when you are out of contract) until you next get a discounted phone or next plan. Kind of nice.

I believe I'm getting a discount on Sprint. But I would no longer be eligible for that. In fact, I don't think I was eligible at the time, a salesman simply asked where I worked, and after I replied, said, "well, let's just get you the Wachovia discount" or something. Sadly, I'm obviously not eligible for that on AT&T, unless AT&T salesman are terrible and shady like Sprint?

I'm in eastern PA, near Reading.

Current smartphones are Nexus S and iPhone 4 (not 4S). The 4S has a spider-webbed rear plate, covered by a sticker to keep it intact. I doubt AT&T would be so generous as to offer anything for that one. haha.

I saw the Next plans on their site and didn't fully understand how it worked. It sounded like something I would be interested in, but it makes my monthly costs higher. A new phone yearly is obviously nice, and I somehow missed the "no upfront cost" part. I'll look into it.

My ultimate goal is to get our monthly bill as low as possible. We're a very budget-oriented household, and I was hoping to keep the phone bill where it was. I might just have to suck it up and admit that normal smartphone family plans simply don't cost $150, huh?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

banana tophat posted:

I believe I'm getting a discount on Sprint. But I would no longer be eligible for that. In fact, I don't think I was eligible at the time, a salesman simply asked where I worked, and after I replied, said, "well, let's just get you the Wachovia discount" or something. Sadly, I'm obviously not eligible for that on AT&T, unless AT&T salesman are terrible and shady like Sprint?

I'm in eastern PA, near Reading.

Current smartphones are Nexus S and iPhone 4 (not 4S). The 4S has a spider-webbed rear plate, covered by a sticker to keep it intact. I doubt AT&T would be so generous as to offer anything for that one. haha.

I saw the Next plans on their site and didn't fully understand how it worked. It sounded like something I would be interested in, but it makes my monthly costs higher. A new phone yearly is obviously nice, and I somehow missed the "no upfront cost" part. I'll look into it.

My ultimate goal is to get our monthly bill as low as possible. We're a very budget-oriented household, and I was hoping to keep the phone bill where it was. I might just have to suck it up and admit that normal smartphone family plans simply don't cost $150, huh?

Haha as someone who used to do shady discounting on Sprint, all the carriers cut back on it.

Monthly plan wise you would be looking at $164 for the 4GB plan, but before tax. So overall yes.

The two year contract and next upgrade equal out overall with the new plans, it's just whether you pay up front or a little more on the bill. FYI wherever you go the nexus S would have a $100 trade in with the next plan (not 2 year), 4 S with a cracked screen is about $50-70.

FYI my ATT store is in Exton, so if you wanted help it's a slight hike but I could ensure you get setup correctly. You can PM me or email at jimplaysdrums at gmail if you want to stop by.

And to clarify on trade in promos: right now any working non broken smartphone gets rounded up to a $100 trade in credit with the Next plan. So if Next is equal, you can get a little more. That's why your nexus would be $100 trade in. If you have any older non broken smartphones they would qualify too.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 15, 2013

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004
So I am thinking about getting my two teenage boys IPhone 5cs for Christmas. The wife and I just did upgrade/2 year back in October, but the boys have been out of contract on dumbphones for a while with no data plan. From what I can tell, getting them 5cs with Next and then moving the whole family onto the new shared plan will save us some money.

Is it possible to move us to the new shared everything plan? Can any of you ATT goons help me with that?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stachatoryR posted:

Is it possible to move us to the new shared everything plan? Can any of you ATT goons help me with that?
Definitely possible. You might as well go to a local COR store and have them do it though.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Anyone done BYOD with the new value plan? Considering doing the 2GB plan but it won't let me do it online without adding a device (as a new user)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright AT&T goons, AT&T's website is broken so I need some advice. I am trying to price out two BYOD Mobile Share plans for my wife and I. When I click on my account then try to change my plan to mobile share, I get this:

Anyhow, so apparently I can't even price out mobile share plans online via My Account, so here's my question.

Here is our current plan. Both devices are fully owned and we are not under any contract.

Wife: 450 minutes, shitload of rollover, $5 legacy 200 SMS plan. Unlimited data (uses ~1gig/month)
Me: $9.99 add a line, 5gigs w/tethering. No SMSs (nope, not paying $30/month for bytes of data)
23% FAN
Bill all told: $128.01/month

Was looking to price out two lines with the $15/line BYOD discount. Is my math correct here?

6gb = $80
Two phones = $30 ($15x2). Right?
Actually, my math is wrong. It's $25/line for BYOD, so $50 + $80 = $130 pre tax and FAN?

Total before tax = $130
Total after tax ~ about the same as we pay now, after FAN...possible cheaper (than $128)?
If it's a bit less than $128, we could step up to 8 or 10 gigs and still be in the neighborhood of $128 after the 23% FAN, right?

Also, how does tethering work into this equation? It's included, right? A benefit to this besides potential savings, is unlimited texting, which we've never had.

Last question: will the FAN apply to the entire bill?

Just trying to price this out since the website shits the bed when I try to do it via my account.

Thanks!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 17, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kaizoku posted:

Sales Managers seem to exemplify the, "gently caress you, got mine," attitude.

Forgot to reply but I even meant managers in a non-profit. :v:

Rent posted:

Is there a Microsoft Store in your area? It's $99 for 2 years, $49 deductible. Doesn't cover lost or stolen. Nice thing about it is if you break your phone in 18 months and they don't carry 1020's anymore, you get store credit to pick out the new phone without contract extension

CharlesM posted:

Yes there is. What is that called? Assurance? I forgot about that. Their website is slow as hell right now.

I called them (kinda a long & crazy drive esp. during Christmas shopping) and said they only sold it for Microsoft products... WTF. I dunno. I can't find any info on the website. I might just go for Squaretrade.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

Last question: will the FAN apply to the entire bill?

Just trying to price this out since the website shits the bed when I try to do it via my account.

Thanks!

No, the FAN only applies to the base data charge.

So @23% it'd be (80* (1-.23)+2*25) = 111.6 + taxes

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FunOne posted:

No, the FAN only applies to the base data charge.

So @23% it'd be (80* (1-.23)+2*25) = 111.6 + taxes

Thanks. I just found this:

http://myattrpc.com/

I don't know why I've never known of this calculator. It's pretty useful, actually.

Ninja edit (?) So it appears there is really no reason NOT to drop our legacy plans, unless I'm missing something.

AT&T finally found a way to get my wife off of unlimited data. Bravo.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 17, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CharlesM posted:

I wasn't implying that you didn't; was just saying when it comes to management ineptitude in my experience, sales managers are the pinnacle.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Digital life is finishing up my install. Tons of new toys to play with.

banana tophat
Apr 25, 2007

I've been insanely busy, but I wanted to drop in and reply to this thread.

Duckman2008 posted:

Haha as someone who used to do shady discounting on Sprint, all the carriers cut back on it.

Monthly plan wise you would be looking at $164 for the 4GB plan, but before tax. So overall yes.

The two year contract and next upgrade equal out overall with the new plans, it's just whether you pay up front or a little more on the bill. FYI wherever you go the nexus S would have a $100 trade in with the next plan (not 2 year), 4 S with a cracked screen is about $50-70.

FYI my ATT store is in Exton, so if you wanted help it's a slight hike but I could ensure you get setup correctly. You can PM me or email at jimplaysdrums at gmail if you want to stop by.

And to clarify on trade in promos: right now any working non broken smartphone gets rounded up to a $100 trade in credit with the Next plan. So if Next is equal, you can get a little more. That's why your nexus would be $100 trade in. If you have any older non broken smartphones they would qualify too.

I didn't see your post until after I had run off to the AT&T store (it's about a minute's drive from home). The rep's there were extremely helpful, but I appreciate your offer for personal assistance.

They gave me pretty much the exact same info you did. I wound up going with a 2 GB plan. The wife got an iPhone, I decided to try out the Lumia 1520. My bill is close enough to my past Sprint bill that I'm happy. I was also told I could upgrade to 4GB at any time, so that's a huge plus. I can deal with a $35 restocking fee if I decide I'd prefer an Android device within the next couple weeks.

So far, the data speeds I'm seeing are far superior to Sprint, with 4G consistently between home, work, and the family members I see regularly. I'm quite happy that I switched carriers.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Checking on the eligibility page (here) (I entered my work email), it says I'm eligible for a discount. They also sent me an email. But they don't mention how much of a discount it is. Is there a way to check? My company intranet is completely useless. The only reason I care to check before talking to AT&T is because I have a discount through my old job (that I just left last month). The old discount is 18%, are there different levels?

I was looking at that calculator that hotsauce linked above, and the new mobile share maybe makes sense for me? There are 4 people on the 700 minute family plan, we have the unlimited texts, my phone is the only smartphone and it has grandfathered unlimited data. I think I could get the 4GB plan and still pay about what I'm paying now? (I haven't used over 3GB in a while (I'm at a little over 2GB right now and the billing cycle ends tonight. In fact, except Aug 2013, I've used under 4 every month since Aug2012)) And not have to worry about minutes anymore (we've gone over the last few months, but I have rollover minutes still). Do all of our family plan contracts have to be up to switch? I'm on a Nexus 4 and will probably stay on the subsidized path (if I can, but the Nexus phones look pretty good usually...). Nobody else on the plan has any interest in a smartphone.

Beefstorm, maybe I can go to your store, depending on how far away it is (and if you would even get any benefit from this switch, if it happened?)

e: I just signed up for the discount using my work email, it's the "at&t sponsorship program". I didn't like sign up to have my employer pay my phone bill or something, did I? Because that's not a thing. It's listed as "IRU" and the last one was "FAN" what is the difference :confused:

myron cope fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 19, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Checking on the eligibility page (here) (I entered my work email), it says I'm eligible for a discount. They also sent me an email. But they don't mention how much of a discount it is. Is there a way to check? My company intranet is completely useless. The only reason I care to check before talking to AT&T is because I have a discount through my old job (that I just left last month). The old discount is 18%, are there different levels?

I was looking at that calculator that hotsauce linked above, and the new mobile share maybe makes sense for me? There are 4 people on the 700 minute family plan, we have the unlimited texts, my phone is the only smartphone and it has grandfathered unlimited data. I think I could get the 4GB plan and still pay about what I'm paying now? (I haven't used over 3GB in a while (I'm at a little over 2GB right now and the billing cycle ends tonight. In fact, except Aug 2013, I've used under 4 every month since Aug2012)) And not have to worry about minutes anymore (we've gone over the last few months, but I have rollover minutes still). Do all of our family plan contracts have to be up to switch? I'm on a Nexus 4 and will probably stay on the subsidized path (if I can, but the Nexus phones look pretty good usually...). Nobody else on the plan has any interest in a smartphone.

Beefstorm, maybe I can go to your store, depending on how far away it is (and if you would even get any benefit from this switch, if it happened?)

e: I just signed up for the discount using my work email, it's the "at&t sponsorship program". I didn't like sign up to have my employer pay my phone bill or something, did I? Because that's not a thing. It's listed as "IRU" and the last one was "FAN" what is the difference :confused:

Send me a PM with your employer if you are not comfortable posting it. I'll check the discount. I'm in the Pittsburgh area if you are anywhere near there.

And no they are not paying your bill.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Beefstorm posted:

Send me a PM with your employer if you are not comfortable posting it. I'll check the discount. I'm in the Pittsburgh area if you are anywhere near there.

And no they are not paying your bill.

Ok good! Just making sure someone's not going to come to me with a "what the hell are you doing??" sometime soon.

And I tried to send a PM but it told me your mailbox is full!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Ok good! Just making sure someone's not going to come to me with a "what the hell are you doing??" sometime soon.

And I tried to send a PM but it told me your mailbox is full!

Yeah that would require the business to accept a transfer of billing responsibility. And I'm clear now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm thinking about doing the Next thing since it looks like it's not some ghetto financing that I thought it was. But I got a couple questions first.

My girlfriend just renewed her contract with a iphone 5c in November. She doesn't have unlimited data but she does have one of the old non share plans. She's also using my company discount for 25% off the bill. Could I get on the Next plan, then merge my account with hers, and switch her to mobile share? Next or not, I think switching her over with give us both more data and cost less.

Also, how does the Next plan affect my discount? I'm assuming I don't get anything off the hardware payment, but will I get it off the rest?

Edit: Oh and one more thing. If I go and set the account up today under my name without her present, can I merge the accounts later?

Haggins fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 20, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Haggins posted:

I'm thinking about doing the Next thing since it looks like it's not some ghetto financing that I thought it was. But I got a couple questions first.

My girlfriend just renewed her contract with a iphone 5c in November. She doesn't have unlimited data but she does have one of the old non share plans. She's also using my company discount for 25% off the bill. Could I get on the Next plan, then merge my account with hers, and switch her to mobile share? Next or not, I think switching her over with give us both more data and cost less.

Also, how does the Next plan affect my discount? I'm assuming I don't get anything off the hardware payment, but will I get it off the rest?

Edit: Oh and one more thing. If I go and set the account up today under my name without her present, can I merge the accounts later?

Make sure you do any transfer of billing responsibility BEFORE you start a NEXT plan. AT&T can't move accounts to someone else's name once it is in a NEXT plan.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

This just in, AT&T will discount your (mobile share only) plan by $15 when you do NEXT or bring your own device. Basically accounting for the difference for not having to subsidize your device. Hooray.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25145&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37330&mapcode=consumer|mobile-devices

Pardon me for being dumb, but does this mean AT&T will discount a Mobile Share bill if the line is no longer under contract?

The wife hasn't upgraded her phone in well over two years.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Pardon me for being dumb, but does this mean AT&T will discount a Mobile Share bill if the line is no longer under contract?

The wife hasn't upgraded her phone in well over two years.

Taking this one step further...we went into AT&T the other day and changed to an 8gb mobile share plan. Both phones are owned outright. The rep tried the NEXT pitch, I instantly said no (just not interested).

She set everything up, said each phone will show as $80/both, but we will receive a monthly discount bringing it down to $50 ($25x2 for BYOD after $15 discount per line).

Since billing is always screwed up when you make a mid-month change, can someone confirm that BYOD without NEXT does in fact take off $15/line? I'm going to be irritated if NEXT is a requirement since we were told it wasn't.

Edit: holy hell, didn't even read the prior post. Either NEXT or BYOD. I'm dumb.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

CharlesM posted:

I called them (kinda a long & crazy drive esp. during Christmas shopping) and said they only sold it for Microsoft products... WTF. I dunno. I can't find any info on the website. I might just go for Squaretrade.

Yeah you can only buy it if you bought the phone at a Microsoft Store.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I found that out. Oh well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's an oddball question:

If a person gets one of those Wireless Home Phone things, does their number (that was previously a regular landline number) continue to appear in the phone book? And by phone book, I mean the actual dead-tree phone book.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thermopyle posted:

Here's an oddball question:

If a person gets one of those Wireless Home Phone things, does their number (that was previously a regular landline number) continue to appear in the phone book? And by phone book, I mean the actual dead-tree phone book.

No, because it's a cell phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SeaborneClink posted:

No, because it's a cell phone.

Well, that's what I figured, but I can see it being possible that AT&T does something on their end to make it appear like a regular landline, since that's what its supposed to replace.

But, if you have knowledge about the matter, than I guess that's that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Alright, I've done the unthinkably stupid and dropped my Lumia 1020 on a concrete floor about two weeks into ownership. :( Is my best option to use my SquareTrade warranty and pay the $70 deductible? Would it be feasible to repair for cheaper?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thermopyle posted:

Well, that's what I figured, but I can see it being possible that AT&T does something on their end to make it appear like a regular landline, since that's what its supposed to replace.

It becomes a mobile phone and no longer a valid land line. It also falls into the anti telemarketer poo poo too.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, I suppose I could have been more verbose about it. :(

In that it is now a cellphone, the following things will no longer work on it:
Alarm Systems
Pacemaker/Medical devices
Fax Machines
DVR's/Cableboxes
Anything that requires a POTS line to function.

Jan 1, 2006

Pornhub. XTube. I know these names, better than I know my own grandmothers.

CharlesM posted:

Alright, I've done the unthinkably stupid and dropped my Lumia 1020 on a concrete floor about two weeks into ownership. :( Is my best option to use my SquareTrade warranty and pay the $70 deductible? Would it be feasible to repair for cheaper?

I would probably do just that. A phone like that is much less common than an iPhone and parts aren't always well stocked by places that fix them (at least at places around here). The option thats probably less of a headache in the long run is to just pay the deductible and be done with it.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

$70 is VERY reasonable for your situation and I would go that route were I in your shoes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ok, cool deal. I feel like such a dumbass though. :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry for the double post, what's the best place to get a cheap phone while I send mine out for repair? Can I get a cheap go phone at retail?

Jan 1, 2006

Pornhub. XTube. I know these names, better than I know my own grandmothers.

CharlesM posted:

Sorry for the double post, what's the best place to get a cheap phone while I send mine out for repair? Can I get a cheap go phone at retail?

Yea a place like best buy, radio shack or a COR store will have stuff. Nokia Lumia 520 would be a decent option if you want to spend the money.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cool, I may take the opportunity to switch my dad to a dumbphone and use his 8x as a backup. I just wasn't sure if the SIM cards swap over.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Cool, I may take the opportunity to switch my dad to a dumbphone and use his 8x as a backup. I just wasn't sure if the SIM cards swap over.

Lumia 520 seems to be almost constantly on sale, and is a decent backup phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's only $60 on Amazon, so that's good, but are there any recommendations for non-smartphones? If I get my dad on a dumbphone it's $20 cheaper / month...
Also I gotta find a SIM removal tool somewhere :P