Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I don't know, I was just kind of assuming at least two people did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Someone has to

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wakka'a cool because he's like one of the three characters in the team who actually develops as a character and becomes pretty sweet, he's also voiced by John Dimaggio and has a high attack stat.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well the current rumors of X-3 are something.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Potential spoiler for voice drama added in the remaster:On one hand Tidus and Yuna breaking up is kind of funny, on the other hand that and Sin returning completely invalidates the previous games in my opinion.

I don't care what the content is or for what platform it's on or what the monster is or who breaks up

if another piece of Final Fantasy X content comes out I will buy it

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr. Fortitude posted:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Potential spoiler for voice drama added in the remaster:On one hand Tidus and Yuna breaking up is kind of funny, on the other hand that and Sin returning completely invalidates the previous games in my opinion.

I really want the first bit to be true because it'd be an actual natural thing to happen and it'd be a pretty ballsy move by Square to just break up a ~character couple~.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wakka'a cool because he's like one of the three characters in the team who actually develops as a character and becomes pretty sweet, he's also voiced by John Dimaggio and has a high attack stat.

On the other hand, Kimahri is voiced by John Dimaggio, has a solid starting attack stat, and... kinda develops? So make of that what you will.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Maltose posted:

I really want the first bit to be true because it'd be an actual natural thing to happen and it'd be a pretty ballsy move by Square to just break up a ~character couple~.

I'd love the X-3 to be Tidus bumming around Spira after a massive break up. Lots of drinking, bar brawls, bad pick up lines. Just Tidus slowly becoming his father.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wakka's cool people but even if only about half the party develops or grows, I think it's one of the strengths of the game that everyone has their own "arc" where they are significant while at the same time not being completely useless the rest of the time. Kimahri's high point was obviously on Gagazet but even before that we ran into his douchebag brother and his pal a couple of times to build up to that point. Plus he has his whole history with Auron and being the one who guarded Yuna all this time.

I'd say X's party is the best handled out of all the games, or at least in the top 3.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tidus starting to game in a Jecht Depression Mark 3 only to revive with the help of his friends who have moved on into good and stable relationships sounds like a wonderful game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-3 should be all about Brother. And blitzball. poo poo just make it a full on blitzball simulator.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

poo poo just make it a full on blitzball simulator.

I keep saying that I would buy ten thousand copies of Blitzball Manager 2014 but SE won't make it happen. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Wakka's cool people but even if only about half the party develops or grows, I think it's one of the strengths of the game that everyone has their own "arc" where they are significant while at the same time not being completely useless the rest of the time. Kimahri's high point was obviously on Gagazet but even before that we ran into his douchebag brother and his pal a couple of times to build up to that point. Plus he has his whole history with Auron and being the one who guarded Yuna all this time.

I'd say X's party is the best handled out of all the games, or at least in the top 3.

Yes, let me say how moved I was by Kimahri's high school bully story or Lulu's one line of dialogue in the Calm Lands about being a previous guardian and then getting very little follow up on it, truly the most satisfying character arcs.

Kyrosiris posted:

I keep saying that I would buy ten thousand copies of Blitzball Manager 2014 but SE won't make it happen. :smith:

If they made it into a legit sports game and not menu based it would be amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Given the Ronso seem to be a primitive, warrior culture by and large, Kimahri's deal was less of being bulied and more like winning back his (cat)manhood. And I for one was very satisfied when I could at last beat the poo poo out of Biran and Yenke. I wonder how hard they are if you actually use and train Kimahri.

And Lulu's arc was in the little cavern where Yojimbo is and where you encounter her Unsent Summoner.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously though FFVI and FFVII are the high point of FF. (And FFT)

That era was when Square could do no wrong, and is probably why we're all posting here. I know a lot of you love X, I wasn't such a huge fan (and the PS2 got a lot of needless, halfhearted sequels) but everything they made near the end of the SNES' life and their PSX titles are solid gold. VIII was a misstep, one I personally find enjoyable, but VII and IX were incredible. Tactics is the best game the company's ever put out. Even random offshoots like Bushido Blade and Threads of Fate were a blast.

We'll never see an era like that again, thanks to rising costs in game development. Back then they could afford to experiment and see what stuck.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Given the Ronso seem to be a primitive, warrior culture by and large, Kimahri's deal was less of being bulied and more like winning back his (cat)manhood. And I for one was very satisfied when I could at last beat the poo poo out of Biran and Yenke. I wonder how hard they are if you actually use and train Kimahri.

And Lulu's arc was in the little cavern where Yojimbo is and where you encounter her Unsent Summoner.

I always use Kimahri (he's actually pretty good if you take him down Rikku/Tidus/Wakka's paths) and there really isn't much of a challenge. If your Kimahri is physical, they get easily wasted and Mighty Guard and White Wind reinforce that. If he's magical, it's slightly tougher, but you get more powerful Ronso Rages and you should hopefully have Curaga or Drain. If he's down Rikku's paths, Use is really all he needs.

Also Lulu's arc is bad especially because it's optional. It's fine if it's closure, like with Gau or Shadow, but since it's supposed to be a character developing... thing for her it just feels off.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes and it was goofy and silly because they literally just push him and call him names until he socks one of them in Luca. Kimahri's story arc in general is marred by it being reoccuring, but it occurs so infrequently and to a character who's very easy to forget about because he has such little involvement with the story. He's supposed to be this big badass guardian who seems somewhat learned in the ways of the world, but he's eclipsed in that by Auron and he isn't even a really interesting character to use so it's even easier to forget he's there when you never have to switch him into your team because he's rather milquetoast even in what he can in gameplay. Another problem with Kimahri's story is it heavily involves the Ronso, although we see very little of the Ronso in general, all we have is Kimahri for practically the whole game and some nothing Ronso that play Blitzball. Biran and Yenke show up with very little relevance to anything that's happening and just act like generic bully characters and when we finally get to Gagazet, we still see very little of who the Ronso actually are and this culminates in them just letting Yuna pass and Seymour killing them all. FFX-2 did a better job with Kimahri's character than the original game.

Lulu's easier to remember because of how useful she is as a fighter, but as a character she remains flat for almost the entirety of the game and yes, I'm referencing the cavern when I say it has very little follow up. We have very little build up to that entire segment and when it happens it's really hard to care because it's literally 3/4's into the game for a character who's been with us since the first island (Same goes for Kimahri, but his at least had build up at different points). It's also OPTIONAL and the end of her nonexistent character arc. I repeat X-2 did a better job with Lulu than the original game did. FFX-2 is a really good game.

I like X's party, but I don't feel they're amazing and as a group they could use a lot of work, saying they are the best though because they character arcs that don't make them useless? That's something literally every FF game starting with 4 has been doing with varying success.

EDIT:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by this in the slightest? Final Fantasy VII had entire cities and characters you could finish the game without ever seeing, which I think just makes the game more replayable.

It wouldn't be a problem if Lulu wasn't a mandatory character and didn't stick with you for long stretches of the game doing nothing of relevance to anything including herself. Like you can miss out on Yuffie and Vincent entirely, but at least they're optional to make up for their character arcs being optional too. Their's also come very soon after their respective introductions and their character arcs top off with end game content or in Vincent's case the Hojo fight.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 27, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also Lulu's arc is bad especially because it's optional. It's fine if it's closure, like with Gau or Shadow, but since it's supposed to be a character developing... thing for her it just feels off.

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by this in the slightest? Final Fantasy VII had entire cities and characters you could finish the game without ever seeing, which I think just makes the game more replayable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How have they ALREADY ruined it? I don't care what they do with Yuna/Tidus but don't bring back Sin. I don't care if you make the enemy a giant flying whale name Fin, just don't invalidate the game you're trying to capitalize on.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That era was when Square could do no wrong, and is probably why we're all posting here. I know a lot of you love X, I wasn't such a huge fan (and the PS2 got a lot of needless, halfhearted sequels) but everything they made near the end of the SNES' life and their PSX titles are solid gold. VIII was a misstep, one I personally find enjoyable, but VII and IX were incredible. Tactics is the best game the company's ever put out. Even random offshoots like Bushido Blade and Threads of Fate were a blast.

We'll never see an era like that again, thanks to rising costs in game development. Back then they could afford to experiment and see what stuck.
In the spirit of the thread title, I disagree with almost all of this (I don't care for X either). I stopped enjoying IV and V long before the halfway mark (still need to finish VI); IX is probably my least favorite game in the series; I still haven't maintained interest in VII long enough to finish the first disc (though I just bought it on Steam to try again in the near future, so fingers crossed); VIII is one of my favorites, and to date the only one I've played through twice; and I thought Tactics was pretty boring with the exception of Calculators and was relieved when I'd finished it.

I keep playing them though, for whatever reason. Final Fantasy has to be the series I've put the most time into relative to how much I don't like most of the games.

Bushido Blade owns though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
All you suckers will buy that poo poo anyways so I'm pretty sure SE is just catering to their fanbase.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

All you suckers will buy that poo poo anyways so I'm pretty sure SE is just catering to their fanbase.

They've got one two four more chances before I completely give up on them :colbert:.

Who the hell am I kidding, the only reason I didn't buy XIII was because of a lack of money, I'll keep playing this poo poo to the end of time unless it becomes so mediocre it doesn't even have a trainwreck quality to entertain me.

EDIT:

Two words: TIME. TRAVEL. That way Square doesn't have to explain poo poo about why Sin in back, it's time travel paradoxes all the way down.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 27, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

How have they ALREADY ruined it? I don't care what they do with Yuna/Tidus but don't bring back Sin. I don't care if you make the enemy a giant flying whale name Fin, just don't invalidate the game you're trying to capitalize on.

If "Sin" comes back, dollars to donuts it isn't Yu Yevon again and the big drama is "what is this thing that is supposed to be dead and why is it alive?"

Which is dumb but is pretty common for sequels. I doubt they're writing it as "whoops, turns out you failed in FFX, haha suckers!"

On the other hand Toriyama.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

1st AD posted:

Yep, especially if it has Lightning.

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand Toriyama.

Does just his mere presence at Square cast a shadow over this even if he doesn't get involved with it in any way?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe this Sin will be Jenova.
Since apparently the universes are connected according to some dumb Ultimania thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Does just his mere presence at Square cast a shadow over this even if he doesn't get involved with it in any way?

Toriyama was one of the writers on FFX and straight up director for FFX-2. It's pretty likely he'd work on FFX-3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Toriyama was one of the writers on FFX and straight up director for FFX-2. It's pretty likely he'd work on FFX-3.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot this. ...Man, FFX-2 turned out a lot better than it should have in retrospect.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Did he like, get hit in the head by a bowling ball while cleaning out his closet? What happened after FFX-2?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Don't kid yourself. X-2 was full of creepy fan service, and a lot of the plot and script was eye-bleedingly terrible.

Also, those X-3 spoilers are not encouraging. I'm sensing The After Years levels of rehashing here. I hope we don't have to go through Macadamia Temple 6 times, then watch as New Yevon conducts Operation Mihen 2 and gets wiped out by Sin (again).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Squallege posted:

Did he like, get hit in the head by a bowling ball while cleaning out his closet? What happened after FFX-2?

X-2 had some of the signs of what was to come, because in hindsight it's like XIII-3 but toned down and not completely batfuck insane. Changing clothes as a gameplay mechanic, with some of the outfits being kinda really skeevy comes to mind. I bet he had an editor or something to keep his creepier impulses in check, come FFXIII there's no such editor and then he proclaims the main character HIS WAIFU and it all goes downhill from there.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It has been a few years since I played it. I guess that's what the HD collection is really for.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

I wouldn't. I enjoyed Advent Children for what it was (dumb action flick) but I've never played any of the EU games. I also cut line after FF XIII. So if X-3 is poo poo, I won't buy it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I like X's party, but I don't feel they're amazing and as a group they could use a lot of work, saying they are the best though because they character arcs that don't make them useless? That's something literally every FF game starting with 4 has been doing with varying success.

I mentioned that they had character arcs and were also involved in the story consistently. Everyone being there for Yuna's Pilgrimage gave the whole group a sense of purpose not really seen in most of the games hence the perpetual complaint of "why is [insert character] even there to begin with?" XII might very well be my favorite game in the series but by god could it have benefited from some X style party involvement. Instead we get Basch being irrelevant for 3/4 of the game. At least Kimahri and Lulu did memorable things while Basch and Fran and Vaan and Penelo all just kinda faded into the background more often than not. I would say this happens in VII as well with characters only really being important in their arcs, like Red XIII and Cid, and then just kinda fading out after a bit. And the plot really does just forget about Barrel. He gets development, learning he isn't a leader and regretting his actions, but that line of dialog on the Highwind doesn't satisfy me. I want those fuckers in Corel to apologize to him or something.

And speaking of VII, Toriyama also wrote for that game. I remember because someone posted on here about it and how he was involved with the Midgar section, which is apparently so many people's favorite part of the game. I don't know why but there it is.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

At least Kimahri and Lulu did memorable things

Yeah no, I'm done.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah no, I'm done.

Come on, Kimahri had AT LEAST five lines and only three of them were grunting! That's great character development!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

"Pick spot. Shut up. Wait." Honestly, Kimahri's bluntness and the Ronso way of talking makes his lines more memorable than most. Certainly can't tell you anything Steiner or Kain or Fran ever said.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Honest question: Kimahri had lines? Like, at all?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
"Kimahri problem"

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
I remember Lulu and Wakka constantly bickering and reminiscing about Chappu being a pretty important part of the first half of the game :shobon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

"Pick spot. Shut up. Wait." Honestly, Kimahri's bluntness and the Ronso way of talking makes his lines more memorable than most. Certainly can't tell you anything Steiner or Kain or Fran ever said.

Steiner's one of the most memorable characters in FF9 with a ton of good lines, so that's probably a personal failing on your part if you can't remember things if they don't say them in a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Defiance Industries posted:

Steiner's one of the most memorable characters in FF9 with a ton of good lines, so that's probably a personal failing on your part if you can't remember things if they don't say them in a weird way.

To add to your point, Kain is also a major villain for large swathes of FF4 and while he doesn't really have memorable lines per se his actions have huge ramifications throughout the story, which is far, far more than can be said for whatever Kimahri did.