Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Henchman of Santa posted:

TWIABP are not a post-rock band. They're the best of the emo revival and a lot of the crowd was not ready for them. Great band though.

I was also at the Cleveland show and it absolutely ruled. Every Caspian song is the same but they bring so much energy it didn't matter. Loved the diversity of the 65days setlist. Best concert I've been to in 2013.

I was at the show too. I had checked out TWIABP earlier in the week and am really digging their new album, so I really enjoyed their set. I'd like to see them again with a longer setlist. Caspian and 65days were both good but paled in comparison to Mono who I saw at the same venue two days earlier. Mono were just spectacular. "Ashes in the Snow" live is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

So I had no idea about that and checked out their album Whenever, If Ever. This seems like it'd be up a lot of post-rock fans' alleys. Pretty much all post-rock fans I know IRL are into old emo stuff and some new emo stuff like this too. Plus this seems to have enough post-rock style instrumentation to keep fans of the genre interested.

I don't know why it wouldn't go over well with fans of Caspian. This is going over pretty well with me v:shobon:v

I don't think the crowd disliked them, but they were certainly not expecting them. They do have a lot of post-rock elements but I think people were thrown by such a vocal-heavy band (especially one where the lead singer has a high, whiny voice and the others scream) opening for two instrumental acts.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I am ashamed that I didn't even know Mono was playing there as I would have gone, but I'm pleased to have seen Caspian and 65daysofstatic. I'm surprised there were more than two goons in the house (myself and fellow awful gamer ScurvyKip were there). Didn't expect enough overlap between SA/ohio/post-rock to have another, much less more than one there. Clearly we should consider an Ohio goon outing to a post-rock show at some point. We all have at least one thing in common. If These Trees Could Talk appears to be scheduled at the same venue (Beachland) on December 21, and I should very much like to attend that. If any fans here are ever attending a post-rock show within a couple hours of Columbus, please say so! I know I'll be keeping an eye out because this is really the only music that's ever got me worked up to go to shows and I want to go to more.

And no, I don't think many people were expecting an emo band (I didn't). I deliberately didn't check them out beforehand, but I found them quite alright and was pleased by my first impression of their work. Strangely enough, of the 75 or so people I estimate were there, two actually came specifically for TWIABP and hadn't heard of either Caspian or 65dos. :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm actually from Michigan but I go to school down here so I occasionally make it out to Cleveland or Columbus shows (I'm about an hour south of the former and 90 minutes north of the latter).

This was my second time seeing TWIABP this year. The first was BLED Fest, which is a hardcore/emo/pop-punk/post-hardcore/whatever festival in a Michigan high school. They were playing a tiny side stage at 3 p.m. but their new album had just leaked and was already getting massive hype. The crowd was nuts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's a new Mono single out on the Japanese iTunes store. It's called Kanata.

I can't access it though since I have a US iTunes account :(

Hopefully it gets posted to SoundCloud or YouTube or somewhere like that.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
They've been playing it on this tour. It didn't particularly stand out to me, if I'm honest. It's apparently the theme for a TV show, and as such it's not quite as dynamic as their music tends to be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Velocirocktor posted:

They've been playing it on this tour. It didn't particularly stand out to me, if I'm honest. It's apparently the theme for a TV show, and as such it's not quite as dynamic as their music tends to be.
Ahh. Yeah, I saw that it was only 3 minutes and change, which is pretty short by their standards. Still, I'd love to hear it, even if it isn't one of their best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spotify got me into a band I've never heard of before: Couch. Apparently they were a German post-rock band, not to be confused with what appears to be a Japanese pop band with the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKsR_MVp6Y

Some of their stuff gets more Krautrock-y than that song, but yeah, they're really good.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

precision posted:

Spotify got me into a band I've never heard of before: Couch. Apparently they were a German post-rock band, not to be confused with what appears to be a Japanese pop band with the same name.

Some of their stuff gets more Krautrock-y than that song, but yeah, they're really good.

Couch are excellent, this is my favourite track, it's off Figur 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0XPL2SOyA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mono's new single/TV theme "Kanata" is up on their Bandcamp to stream/buy.

At first it really sounds like an Explosions track, but then around a minute and a half in, it kicks in and I was like "Oh yeah, NOW this is Mono!"

I wish it were a little longer and more varied, but it's the length it is because it's the theme for a TV show, and as it stands, it's one of the coolest TV themes out there.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 29, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Mogwai song "Remurdered" is up on Spotify now. It piddles around for a couple minutes, but then it gets seriously awesome.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Don't know how many of you may have caught them on the post-rock FB page, but Aesthesys is really quite good. And free!

Not sure who I could compare them to cuz I'm bad at that, but it's pretty light stuff in general with a lot of strings sprinkled throughout. Arise From Dreams of Thee is a really good track.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mogwai: The Lord Is Out Of Control
New track from their new album Rave Tapes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwIFzxD1-w

There are the vocoded vocals we all know and love!

This is giving me serious Mr. Beast vibes, which is a good thing because I like that album despite it not being my favorite of theirs. If you love that album, you'll probably dig this.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mogwai: The Lord Is Out Of Control

I heard it this morning, it's fantastic! Can't wait for the new album now

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Speaking of Mogwai, they are playing Other Voices RIGHT NOW:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/interactive/2013/dec/02/other-voices-festival-2013-other-voices-festival

Expect to hear some more unreleased stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Run Dodo Run posted:

Speaking of Mogwai, they are playing Other Voices RIGHT NOW:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/interactive/2013/dec/02/other-voices-festival-2013-other-voices-festival

Expect to hear some more unreleased stuff.
Cool, I'm watching :) Thanks for the link!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

And it's over. I flicked off and on and it seems the vast majority was Rave Tapes (if not all but one song?), and it sounds excellent. Was wondering how Remurdered would work live, but it fits into the set very well. Really looking forward to this album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Run Dodo Run posted:

And it's over. I flicked off and on and it seems the vast majority was Rave Tapes (if not all but one song?), and it sounds excellent. Was wondering how Remurdered would work live, but it fits into the set very well. Really looking forward to this album.
Yeah, they played How To Be A Werewolf but they said everything else was from Rave Tapes. Remurdered sounded pretty cool.

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?
I'm going to see Caspian (for a second time) in January hopefully.

The first time I saw them, it was the first gig of their European tour. There were no more then 50 people in the venue and it was hands down the best gig I've ever been to. We were basically all stood in a line at the front of the hall, really close to the band (and speakers). They finished with Sycamore and it was absolutely amazing. I would really recommend seeing them if you can.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Australasia. This is pretty drat good. As you might suspect it's a little Pelican influenced, but it also gets a little synthy at times.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Professor Genki posted:

I'm going to see Caspian (for a second time) in January hopefully.

The first time I saw them, it was the first gig of their European tour. There were no more then 50 people in the venue and it was hands down the best gig I've ever been to. We were basically all stood in a line at the front of the hall, really close to the band (and speakers). They finished with Sycamore and it was absolutely amazing. I would really recommend seeing them if you can.
Sycamore's the best closer of any live band I've ever seen, and I've seen it two or three times.

If you have the chance to see Caspian, you definitely shouldn't miss it. God, I can't wait to see them again so I can request The Heart That Fed. And they're really cool guys, so if you let them know that you really want to hear a certain song and if they have the right equipment with them to play it, they will play it for you.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and third the notion that Caspian is amazing live. It was all worth it just to hear Gone in Bloom and Bough played at bowel-shaking volume.

I am saddened that they won't be back to the US until like 2015 or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zxqv8 posted:

I'm going to go ahead and third the notion that Caspian is amazing live. It was all worth it just to hear Gone in Bloom and Bough played at bowel-shaking volume.

I am saddened that they won't be back to the US until like 2015 or something.
Why does it seem like they tour Europe a lot more than they tour the US?

Although I'm friends with Phil, and every time they're over there, he's posting amazing pictures of scenery from the various towns they play in and he always says how awesome those crowds are. I guess most of Europe is just very appreciative to see Caspian play over there and the guys always have great experiences there. Well, aside from them almost getting robbed in Italy recently :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mogwai's Rave Tapes leaked like a month early (it isn't officially released until January 20th). Why does this seem to be a theme for them? The same thing happened with Hardcore Will Never Die.

After my first listen of it, I'm not blown away by it. They don't seem to be breaking any new ground here...in fact, it almost feels like the opposite. And since most of these songs aren't as catchy as, say, the ones from Hardcore were, they just kind of feel like forgettable retreads of previous material. Hexon Bogon and Remurdered are my favorites, and I'd already heard Remurdered a bunch of times before this, but Hexon Bogon is just this perfect little short post-rock track that seems to have something to say and gets to the point quickly and ends before it wears out its welcome. It's the kind of track I would have liked the rest of the album to be like. Instead, a lot of the other tracks don't seem to go anywhere or they go on too long or both. I mean, even Remurdered is guilty of going on too long. That track really does not need to be 6 and a half minutes long.

The drumming is the clear star of this album, not the synths or the guitars.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 21, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just listened through it myself (Thanks for the heads up!) and have to say my first impressions were a bit different. The first couple songs didn't blow me away, but pretty much everything after Remurdered was fantastic. There's nothing really ground breaking, no, but some drat good Mogwai here, and some songs did honestly surprise me, like Blues Hour. Remurdered is actually the longest track, and since the rest of the album was p. :krad: to me, I didn't mind the other songs going on for 4-6 mins, let's not forget this band used to love making 15 min tracks. You're right that the percussion is really strong, and sometimes a bit too strong, because there is still alot of awesome synth work in there, it just more often than not gets masked by the percussion. It may just be omgnewmogwai glow, but I'm digging it.

Edit: Deesh and No Medecine For Regret really stood out for me.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 21, 2013

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
I just listened through it and loved it! Although, this is coming from a big Mogwai fan. I definitely agree with what Jehde said about the album, not groundbreaking, but totally solid. I really enjoyed the synthwork on this album and just the overall songwriting in general. Looking forward to picking up a physical copy when it's out.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Maybe one of these days I'll get Mogwai...

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Maybe one of these days I'll get Mogwai...

Took me a while but now they are probably my favorite post rock band. I enjoy Mogwai more as a collection of songs rather than in album form.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

For some strange reason I can really only thoroughly enjoy Happy Songs for Happy People, but that apparently isn't even what most people think of when talking about Mogwai. I suppose I just need to give the rest of their work a bit more of a chance, but that album just really hits the sweet spot for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zxqv8 posted:

For some strange reason I can really only thoroughly enjoy Happy Songs for Happy People, but that apparently isn't even what most people think of when talking about Mogwai. I suppose I just need to give the rest of their work a bit more of a chance, but that album just really hits the sweet spot for me.
For years, that was my favorite album of theirs. Hell, it still might be.

e: Yep, I burned a copy for my car and I'm listening to it now for the first time in a while and it's still my favorite of theirs.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 22, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In the spirit of Christmas, Sigur Ros posted this live cover of Feliz Navidad they did from a pub in Reykjavik in 1999 on their SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/sigur-ros/eg-fae-jolagjof

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Why is Sycamore such a good song? It makes my head want to explode over and over.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

zxqv8 posted:

Why is Sycamore such a good song? It makes my head want to explode over and over.

Have you seen it live? They do an extended drum circle as the finale and life is beautiful

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

After listening to Rave Tapes way too much, the new album glow has finally worn off. I can definitely see now how some would find it generic and boring. There's not a lot of variety within the songs themselves, they play out pretty predictably. That said, I still love the tidbits of synth scattered about the album and it still makes most of the songs fun to listen to. The more I hear any lyrical work though, the more it makes me cringe.

And to contribute to other Mogwaichat: Happy Songs For Happy People has always been my favourite album too. I've never really been able to pinpoint why, though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 25, 2013

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Man the Heart That Fed sounds so good on vinyl. The bass is just so punchy

As far as complete Mogwai albums I'd have to go old school and say Mogwai Young Team is my favorite album although it does not contain my favorite Mogwai songs. There's just something about YT as a whole that does it for me

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The Facebook post-rock page released their end of year stuff: http://t.co/qUjL0QMcXX

Naturally there's a bunch of awesome poo poo on there I didn't even hear about, including from bands that I already know.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I had no idea there was a new Hammock album out. Cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zxqv8 posted:

I think they've more or less been getting better with every album (Happy Songs and Mr. Beast are particularly dramatic upticks in quality, while Hawk is Howling was a slight downturn).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

precision posted:

while Hawk is Howling was a slight downturn

How does it feel to be so wrong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I would say Hawk Is Howling is more the plateau, and Hardcore Will Never Die was the slight downturn, and now Rave Tapes being a return to a comfortable plateau.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 28, 2013