Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

You can also get Wonderful 101 for cheap as balls right now, although try the demo first because that game is really Hit or Miss.

Where? BestBuy Walmart and Target don't seem to have it on sale.
Also god drat Walmart finally updated it's Canadian site to not be complete and utter poo poo. Seriously before the site was like wading through a pile of poo poo so you could look at the steaming piles of poo poo hidden in the larger pile of poo poo. oh and the wii u is going to fail or something topical like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cerepol posted:

Where? BestBuy Walmart and Target don't seem to have it on sale.
Also god drat Walmart finally updated it's Canadian site to not be complete and utter poo poo. Seriously before the site was like wading through a pile of poo poo so you could look at the steaming piles of poo poo hidden in the larger pile of poo poo. oh and the wii u is going to fail or something topical like that.

Last I checked Target was selling W101 for $30, but that might be American prices.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
W 101 was the only game that I wanted to get today that was still at 59 dollars at best buy. So that's a shame for me.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Louisgod posted:

Now's a good time to buy one since the price is good and it actually has games but god drat did it suck rear end for the first year.

Having owned a Wii U since March this is mostly true. Just got Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World and suddenly the system is more fun than anything else I've played all year.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I was in my local Best Buy on Christmas Eve and they were almost entirely out of eShop gift cards. That should be a good sign for Nintendo, though I suppose they could mostly have been for 3DS owners.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bob Socko posted:

I was in my local Best Buy on Christmas Eve and they were almost entirely out of eShop gift cards. That should be a good sign for Nintendo, though I suppose they could mostly have been for 3DS owners.

3DS and Wii U eShop wallets got merged in a recent patch, so that might've helped sell eShop cards better for those that own both platforms. That and the 20% discount on all eShop cards at Best Buy.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 26, 2013

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright so I'm back from buying. Aside from 1 minor accident (no injuries/minor car damage) it went well. I started off at Future Shop but they were out of Wii Us, so I just got SM3DW there and went to best Buy, but they were also out. Lastly I went to Walmart and got myself the 2nd last M+L Bundle + Pikmin 3. I shall have tons of fun coming in the next few hours once I finish setting up and updating the system.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cerepol posted:

Alright so I'm back from buying. Aside from 1 minor accident (no injuries/minor car damage) it went well. I started off at Future Shop but they were out of Wii Us, so I just got SM3DW there and went to best Buy, but they were also out. Lastly I went to Walmart and got myself the 2nd last M+L Bundle + Pikmin 3. I shall have tons of fun coming in the next few hours once I finish setting up and updating the system.

I think this thread may be better suited for your WiiU adventures.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is normal to witness a crash with a Wii U on the first day, though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Smash for Wii U will probably have an attached rate similar to that of NSMBU. The people buying Wii us absolutely love Mario and all those Nintendo characters, and Smash Bros. will likely release during another great Wii U drought.

There are other factors at play here though, such as release timing. If Nintendo is shrewd/clever, they'll release the Wii U version first to bolster sales. People who want Smash NOW will be more likely to buy a Wii U for that so long as the 3DS Smash doesn't have a firm date.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rorus Raz posted:

Smash for Wii U will probably have an attached rate similar to that of NSMBU. The people buying Wii us absolutely love Mario and all those Nintendo characters, and Smash Bros. will likely release during another great Wii U drought.

There are other factors at play here though, such as release timing. If Nintendo is shrewd/clever, they'll release the Wii U version first to bolster sales. People who want Smash NOW will be more likely to buy a Wii U for that so long as the 3DS Smash doesn't have a firm date.

I fully expect both versions of Smash to release on the same day. They're way too similar not to.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
So does the recent 3DS update finally bring purchases tied to an account as opposed to the console?

From what I read of the warning when I went to open the eshop on the 3DS it seems this is now the case. Although past purchases are tied to the console only.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DarthBlingBling posted:

So does the recent 3DS update finally bring purchases tied to an account as opposed to the console?
It doesn't. No one knows if that is ever coming.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

I would toxx that when you break down the ratios that the 3DS version will sell much higher ASSUMING they're virtually the same game with the only notable difference being the local multiplayer on the WiiU. I don't doubt the hardcore crowd won't pick up the WiiU version (they absolutely will) but I don't think it'll be in as high of droves as you think.

Okay, see you in 21 or so months.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
i just saw that Super Punch-Out was released on the E-Shop today, and that it is EIGHT loving DOLLARS?! Seriously Nintendo? :stare:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mayodreams posted:

i just saw that Super Punch-Out was released on the E-Shop today, and that it is EIGHT loving DOLLARS?! Seriously Nintendo? :stare:

How is this shocking to you? SNES games have been eight dollars since the Wii.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

I think that fact alone is what is shocking to him.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Louisgod posted:

Now's a good time to buy one since the price is good and it actually has games but god drat did it suck rear end for the first year.

I just got mine and I don't feel like I missed anything at all. The launch was just horrific - a bunch of old rear end titles (seriously - Arkham City? Mass Effect 3? Who the gently caress wants old games that have been out for a year or more on other systems already?) and the Wii U. version of NSMB which was barely different from NSMB Wii and is a bit of a tired formula.

However I'm super happy with WW, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3DW. I just wish Nintendo would nut up and get Retro to start working on another Metroid game once they finish with the next DK.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I just got mine and I don't feel like I missed anything at all.

[...]

(Who the gently caress wants old games that have been out for a year or more on other systems already?)

[...]

However I'm super happy with WW

Try again.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
EDIT: Boy, I love posting in the wrong thread and taking nigh on a decade to catch it.

Violen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 27, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

TaurusOxford posted:

I bought a few games on the VC right after the Wii launch, so I had forgotten how much they cost. Nostalgia is one thing, but $8 for a 20 year old game?

I know there is a line between consumer demand and value of a product, but I really think that if they flooded the VC with quality titles for $2-3 each more people would jump on board. Emulators are a pain in the rear end, particularly when you want to use them on a TV in a living room. If they had an awesome selection of vintage games at a 2013/2014 steam sale reality price, coupled with strong first party titles, I would get one. Just being there with a handful of AAA titles that come 6-9 months apart and a giant touchscreen with a lovely battery is not enough.

This is a realistic way Nintendo could drive console sales that does not involve a ton of loss on their behalf. Being able to play SMW flawlessly on my TV or away from it on the tablet is the killer feature that would make me rush out and buy the drat thing. But they need to get off their high horse with how much these games should cost, particularly because nostalgia comes from playing the game in the past, where most of us owned (or still have in a closet somewhere) these games, and double and triple dipping (poor bastards with Wii VC titles on the Wii U) are less willing to keep paying a ridiculous price. How about rewarding those long term fans?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

mayodreams posted:

I bought a few games on the VC right after the Wii launch, so I had forgotten how much they cost. Nostalgia is one thing, but $8 for a 20 year old game?

I know there is a line between consumer demand and value of a product, but I really think that if they flooded the VC with quality titles for $2-3 each more people would jump on board. Emulators are a pain in the rear end, particularly when you want to use them on a TV in a living room. If they had an awesome selection of vintage games at a 2013/2014 steam sale reality price, coupled with strong first party titles, I would get one. Just being there with a handful of AAA titles that come 6-9 months apart and a giant touchscreen with a lovely battery is not enough.

This is a realistic way Nintendo could drive console sales that does not involve a ton of loss on their behalf. Being able to play SMW flawlessly on my TV or away from it on the tablet is the killer feature that would make me rush out and buy the drat thing. But they need to get off their high horse with how much these games should cost, particularly because nostalgia comes from playing the game in the past, where most of us owned (or still have in a closet somewhere) these games, and double and triple dipping (poor bastards with Wii VC titles on the Wii U) are less willing to keep paying a ridiculous price. How about rewarding those long term fans?

$5 for NES, & $8 for SNES is perfectly fine, especially if you compare it to prices to buy the actual cartridges. Hell, Earthbound for $10 is a steal seeing that it regularly goes for $150+ on eBay.

I agree that they need more releases, however.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Considering the ubiquity and ease of SNES and NES emulation, I see no reason at all to bother paying eight dollars for a game. An HDMI cable to hook up my laptop to the TV costs $10, and a controller to USB plug is like $5. You can say it should cost whatever, but I'm not paying $8 for 25 year old games. It's not that big a pain in the rear end to use an emulator.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 27, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Orgophlax posted:

$5 for NES, & $8 for SNES is perfectly fine, especially if you compare it to prices to buy the actual cartridges. Hell, Earthbound for $10 is a steal seeing that it regularly goes for $150+ on eBay.

The price of a limited collector's item versus an unlimited digital game. In no way should the rarity of cartridges affect the price of VC games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They charge what they think the market will bear. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

mayodreams posted:

This is a realistic way Nintendo could drive console sales that does not involve a ton of loss on their behalf. Being able to play SMW flawlessly on my TV or away from it on the tablet is the killer feature that would make me rush out and buy the drat thing.

This is a killer feature only in your mind. You are the only person I've ever heard of pining for the opportunity to pay $300 to play SMW on the WiiU tablet.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crackbone posted:

They charge what they think the market will bear. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Yes and the market won't bear it, which was the entire point of that guy's comment in the first place.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

icantfindaname posted:

Yes and the market won't bear it, which was the entire point of that guy's comment in the first place.

No, he won't buy it. One person does not constitute the whole of the market. This is the pricing Nintendo has used for 5+ years now. Nintendo is obviously happy with the sales at that price point or they would have adjusted it by now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crackbone posted:

No, he won't buy it. One person does not constitute the whole of the market. This is the pricing Nintendo has used for 5+ years now. Nintendo is obviously happy with the sales at that price point or they would have adjusted it by now.

Oh thank god, as long as Nintendo's happy about it then it's perfectly fine and he shouldn't complain.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fallom posted:

Oh thank god, as long as Nintendo's happy about it then it's perfectly fine and he shouldn't complain.

What's the point? They've had this pricing for years, it's not going to change. And Nintendo property VC pricing is the least of their issues.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Crackbone posted:

What's the point? They've had this pricing for years, it's not going to change. And Nintendo property VC pricing is the least of their issues.

Because services like steam have shown that when it comes to the long tail of digital sales, charging less makes you more money through volume of sales.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Crackbone posted:

This is a killer feature only in your mind. You are the only person I've ever heard of pining for the opportunity to pay $300 to play SMW on the WiiU tablet.

I am not pining to drop $300 on a console for that specific purpose. The point I am trying to make is that Nintendo needs something to differentiate themselves in the market. Their first party games, and the rate they are released, are not sustaining the console. Instead of bullshit gimmicks like 3D, waggle controls, and underutilized tablets, focus on vintage gaming. Be the go to console to play all of those older games we love to play. Build on the BC of the Wii, and by extension, GameCube library. Other publishers like Sega already put games on the VC.

Being the King of Vintage Gaming in ADDITION to new AAA titles would make me want a Wii U, where right now there is not enough justification to buy one for me, and what seems like, everyone else in the world.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't have any problem dropping $5, $8 or $10 for an e-shop game for my Wii U if I want to play it. The games they bring to the e-shop are usually high quality and still worth the money today. I think people only balk at the price because they are accustomed to playing old Nintendo games for free. Given that some Wii games still retail at full price, what do you expect from Nintendo. Do you guys make minimum wage at wally world or something?

Wish dragon quest would come to the VC.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Crackbone posted:

99% of things people discuss on forums are things they have no power over, they like discussing them none the less. The purpose of this thread is basically to discuss how badly Nintendo is managing their products, 'but they're not going to change it so there's no point discussing it!' isn't exactly a useful contribution in a thread 90% about theorycrafting business decisions we already know they're not going to make.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nintendo probably has a better idea of how much demand would be at various price levels, and determined 8 is the best one. Charging 4 would get them more sales but would it be twice as many sales? They clearly don't think so. Really, it should be different for different games, but I can see Nintendo's perspective in wanting a uniform pricing scheme. I think keeping them where they are and having weekly sales would get more of the steam effect than lowering the prices uniformly. (Do they do this already?)

The fact that VC games don't transfer from Wii to WiiU is laughable though, and basically a gently caress you to anyone who paid their high prices instead of just emulating the games. - Looks like I'm wrong about this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 27, 2013

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Jeffrey posted:

Nintendo probably has a better idea of how much demand would be at various price levels, and determined 8 is the best one. Charging 4 would get them more sales but would it be twice as many sales? They clearly don't think so. Really, it should be different for different games, but I can see Nintendo's perspective in wanting a uniform pricing scheme. I think keeping them where they are and having weekly sales would get more of the steam effect than lowering the prices uniformly. (Do they do this already?) The fact that VC games don't transfer from Wii to WiiU is laughable though, and basically a gently caress you to anyone who paid their high prices instead of just emulating the games.

You can bring them over for pennies if they are available on the wii U shop. Usually you are paying for gamepad support.

Edit: Maybe it isn't pennies. I don't remember how much. Thought it was less than a dollar though.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 27, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

I like your idea but I think the 3DS would've cannibalized any potential sales the WiiU would've received since it would've played the same games. Toxx me but Smash Bros will sell crazy amounts on the 3DS and bomb on the WiiU since consumers have an option to avoid the WiiU.

It will be an interesting experiment to see what happens for sure. But I think this is a case like Mario Party where the single player experience is not nearly as fun as the multiplayer experience making the console version far superior. And I just don't know people that sit down in the same room with 4 portable systems and play anything, even as a kid... I honestly have no idea how it will play out but I'm curious to find out.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Build on the BC of the Wii, and by extension, GameCube library.

It's too bad they dropped the gamecube controller ports since the Wii U should be able to run gamecube games no problem and a bunch of wii games supported the controller too.
If Nintendo went all out they could have been king of backward compatibility. How much would the ports cost, 2 dollars?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The_Frag_Man posted:

It's too bad they dropped the gamecube controller ports since the Wii U should be able to run gamecube games no problem and a bunch of wii games supported the controller too.
If Nintendo went all out they could have been king of backward compatibility. How much would the ports cost, 2 dollars?

I'm pretty sure it's much more than just the ports, and had actual GC hardware inside to properly emulate it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

The_Frag_Man posted:

^^^^ If the Wii U has full compat with Wii games, it can certainly play GC games.

I bet they could add GC (Wavebird!) compatibility via a USB port. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

I'm pretty sure it's much more than just the ports, and had actual GC hardware inside to properly emulate it.

Other than the disc drive being able to recenter the small discs I'm pretty sure Wii's architecture is the same as Gamecube's, only upgraded. Just like with Wii U and Wii, and that's how they achieve perfect BC. Same deal with GBA / DS / 3DS :eng101:

There's no reason a set of ports can't be added over USB if they start selling GCN games over eShop.

Orgophlax posted:

Nah, that's a ridiculous pricing structure in a world where it's not uncommon to see all sorts of amazing games going for under $5 on Steam and PSN. Not to mention how ubiquitous and commonplace emulators are, isn't there a SNES emulator as one of the top apps on Google Play? And it's trivial to install one on the PSP, which you can also get component cables for. That's a better solution for the guy wanting to play SMW on his Wii U, just play it on PSP and disconnect it from the TV out when you wanna go portable.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 27, 2013

• Locked thread