Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
MO: the cool mod manager for cool people all of who have to come to this thread for help when it doesn't loving work.

But yeah, still earning that glowing recommendation in the OP :rolleyes:

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012
I just started runnning with Smart Cast and it is absolutely brilliant. Does anyone know how to get it to pick iup the apocalypse spell pack as well?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kilroy posted:

MO: the cool mod manager for cool people all of who have to come to this thread for help when it doesn't loving work.

It works perfectly and is objectively superior, most people are just too stupid or lazy to use it correctly or understand what it does.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kilroy posted:

Yeah, I also don't understand why people that are having a problem with something post about it more than people that aren't having any problems with it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I haven't really played the game (just done the "hey I'll update all my mods and play for 5 minutes" cycle) since a couple patches before Dragonborn. Is Deadly Dragons still recommended, or did one of the patches/Dragonborn finally balance out combat with them so Deadly Dragons isn't needed?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kilroy posted:

are you really so invested in a mod manager for a video game because this is not the first time I've seen you angrypost about MO. Worthless angryposting too since it's not like you're suggesting an alternative or pointing out specifics of how other_mod_manager_x is superior to a particular MO issue so basically, please just give it up. Nobody cares.

ps: MO owns, cannot imagine Skyrim modding without it, might have to rebuild my NV mod list in it too. Switching full modlist profiles in like, two clicks, is completely great.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 27, 2013

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I just went back to rebuilding my Oblivion modlist, thinking I might finally play SI, and goddamn did I miss MO. If only it supported omods.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Psion posted:

ps: MO owns, cannot imagine Skyrim modding without it, might have to rebuild my NV mod list in it too.

Why not just get Fallout Mod Manager for that? It's basically the exact same program but designed for the Bethesda-produced Fallouts.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32363/

Assuming you can read it and Nexus isn't busy rolling around in a pool of it's own piss and vomit, this seems like a pretty good guide for Skyrim not making GBS threads itself to death every 5 minutes.

.....and poo poo, it's saying Imaginator is broken as gently caress, which I am using. TO THE TEST CHAMBER!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I was having that same issue with Mod Organizer bitching about not being able to find files, when I found out that it was DELETING the very files it was trying to find if I didn't remember to run it in administrator mode every time I opened it. :wtc: Eventually I just changed the installation folder to the desktop and it's been working fine ever since, even without opening it in administrator mode. If anyone's still having trouble getting it to work, try putting it there.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's giving me the "We have taken down this site while we perform some maintenance. We'll be back soon so please be patient" for awhile now, not just me right?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Psion posted:

are you really so invested in a mod manager for a video game because this is not the first time I've seen you angrypost about MO. Worthless angryposting too since it's not like you're suggesting an alternative or pointing out specifics of how other_mod_manager_x is superior to a particular MO issue so basically, please just give it up. Nobody cares.

ps: MO owns, cannot imagine Skyrim modding without it, might have to rebuild my NV mod list in it too. Switching full modlist profiles in like, two clicks, is completely great.
I'm not invested in anything, no, and it's not really an 'angrypost' although I guess it comes off that way (sorry). So that's why I'm not suggesting an alternative. It's just really loving hilariously dumb to me that it has such a glowing rec in the OP yet around half the posts in this thread are 'MO isn't working'. So yeah, I like to bring it up every ten or so pages. I don't feel like it's a derail really since, again, half this thread is about MO tech support anyway.

Maybe we just need a new thread just for MO :confused:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

epitasis posted:

It works perfectly and is objectively superior, most people are just too stupid or lazy to use it correctly or understand what it does.
I guess the good point about MO is it allows its users to feel smart somehow.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

It's giving me the "We have taken down this site while we perform some maintenance. We'll be back soon so please be patient" for awhile now, not just me right?

If there's one thing that's going to make me say "gently caress it all" and only use Steam Workshop mods, it's the Nexus site.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pimpmust posted:

Nexus is Simba, steam sale is the wildebeest.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008
As someone new to modding games, I didn't have the patience to figure out how MO works. I just wanted to get some mods on and start playing, which NMM let me do. I definitely plan to go back and learn MO when NMM isn't doing it for me anymore.

Also, I was scared to even install BOSS and TESVedit, but now I'm glad I have. BOSS fixed all of my load order issues.

The OP really made everything simple, thank you for putting it together!

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I know we have a few of Gopher's tutorial videos in the OP but I think we should link his beginners guide to modding skyrim video series. I had a friend who was new to Skyrim start with that video series & he felt it was a huge help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQ1JN_X-_Y&list=PLE7DlYarj-DdhDG41roBVJfNCqvO5MmKP

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It would only take a few MO FAQs in the OP to cut down on 90% of repeated issues being brought up in the thread.

1. Always run as administrator.
2. Running from MO uses it's own .inis so launch the Skyrim Launcher to edit graphics settings etc. if you can't manually.
3. As it always states, MO prevents mod installers from seeing what other mods are installed so ignore the SkyUI error message that it can't find SKSE.
4. SKSE and ENBs are not installed with MO (unless the dumb ENB comes with some other mods you want to keep segregated).
5. Left panel dictates the load order for "loose files" i.e. prioritizing which texture packs override which; right panel dictates load order for scripts and you should just let BOSS handle this.

Any others?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Something about how you have to launch programs like SkyProc or FNIS through Mod Organizer so they can see what mods you have installed.

I've personally never had any problems with Mod Organizer but maybe it's because I read the documentation? :shrug:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Psion posted:

I wouldn't use Mod Organizer for NV. Some FOMOD mods won't like too much, but if you want to work around that, it is an alright solution. However, I'd try FoMM first.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

epitasis posted:

It would only take a few MO FAQs in the OP to cut down on 90% of repeated issues being brought up in the thread.

2. Running from MO uses it's own .inis so launch the Skyrim Launcher to edit graphics settings etc. if you can't manually.
3. As it always states, MO prevents mod installers from seeing what other mods are installed so ignore the SkyUI error message that it can't find SKSE.
4. SKSE and ENBs are not installed with MO (unless the dumb ENB comes with some other mods you want to keep segregated).
5. Left panel dictates the load order for "loose files" i.e. prioritizing which texture packs override which; right panel dictates load order for scripts and you should just let BOSS handle this.

Any others?

Huh, I didn't know #5. Last time I played before modding was pre-high resolution packs so I really have no idea what textures I'm seeing. Time to experiment. If I'm getting an invisible helmet bug (an Immersive Armors helm I think, I also installed all the armor mods in the OP that are listed as "will be included in the next version of IA), could this be the reason?

I've only been modding Skyrim a couple weeks but all the MO problems seem to stem from not really understanding how it works. I don't use most of the features but here's what I've been able to pick up:
  • When you launch Skyrim from MO, it sets up a temporary mod directory, then launches Skyrim.
  • This means you have no reason to ever directly mess with the Skyrim data directory (except maybe for ENB?).
  • Mod Organizer can launch other executables besides Skyrim.exe, following the same procedure of first setting up the temporary directory.
  • This means that all those utilities that do something with the data directory? If you just run them on their own, they won't be able to see it. You need to run these from the MO executable list. SKSE, Skyrim launcher, SUM, BOSS, Wrye Bash, TES5edit, etc. MO will set up the temp directory, then the utility will read it and perhaps make some changes. MO will read those changes before dismantling the data directory and use these changes the next time you launch an executable from MO (i.e., Skyrim itself).

I think if you follow these guidelines - don't expect anything to work unless you run it from MO, don't mess with the data directory otherwise - you should be fine.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So it looks like something is up, there's no file to download for BOSS on nexus. Anyone have an alt link?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Cismans Burden posted:

So it looks like something is up, there's no file to download for BOSS on nexus. Anyone have an alt link?

It helps to read the description page.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

If your Skyrim/MO installs aren't in Program Files and in some place like C:\Games instead, then there's no need to run MO as administrator.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kilroy posted:

I guess the good point about MO is it allows its users to feel smart somehow.

Thanks for your great posts

Can anyone recommend a good subtle DoF effect? I'm using RealVision right now for my ENB but I'd like something that was subtle but still obscures/blurs bad and horrible textures when outside.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Gyshall posted:

Thanks for your great posts

Can anyone recommend a good subtle DoF effect? I'm using RealVision right now for my ENB but I'd like something that was subtle but still obscures/blurs bad and horrible textures when outside.

I wouldn't necessarily call it subtle but setting Dynavision to use static DoF at 1.1 intensity does a good job of obscuring distant texture sadness/making the world feel bigger without making you feel like your character is severely nearsighted.

Keep in mind that I'm biased towards visual tweaks that make the game look more stylized, so something closer to Dynavision's default .8 DoF intensity might work better for you.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

epitasis posted:

Any others?

I'd change #1 to include "or install Mod Organizer outside the Program Files folders". Technically, you can avoid needing to do either if you're willing to screw around with folder permissions, but that's really overdoing it when you have a program that offers you a "download, extract, and run" archive.

MadJackMcJack posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32363/

Assuming you can read it and Nexus isn't busy rolling around in a pool of it's own piss and vomit, this seems like a pretty good guide for Skyrim not making GBS threads itself to death every 5 minutes.

.....and poo poo, it's saying Imaginator is broken as gently caress, which I am using. TO THE TEST CHAMBER!

I stopped attributing any value to that guide once I saw the "gently caress with these services" section.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 27, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009
Yeah that's the page that acts like turning off a couple services will make any loving difference on Skyrim stability, or advises you to start changing your hardware timer or download "memory cleaner" programs. Do NOT bother with it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Huh, I didn't know #5. Last time I played before modding was pre-high resolution packs so I really have no idea what textures I'm seeing. Time to experiment. If I'm getting an invisible helmet bug (an Immersive Armors helm I think, I also installed all the armor mods in the OP that are listed as "will be included in the next version of IA), could this be the reason?

I'm starting to think this might be the cause of my problems, as I didn't know this either and I was chucking poo poo on willy nilly thinking it didn't matter :ughh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is Nexus the only major source of these mods? I wanted to try the unofficial bugfixes, or at least SkyUI, but as far as I can tell the Nexus servers are busy making GBS threads the bed.

Also, what is "Gategate"?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

YggiDee posted:

Arthmoor, the main dude behind the unofficial patches, made some mod with a non-optional feature that "restored" really ugly out-of-place Oblivion gates all over Skyrim's cities for ~lore reasons~ and got super ornery when people called it out for being dumb. He really started throwing his weight around when versions of the mod without the gates started popping up.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

YggiDee posted:

Is Nexus the only major source of these mods? I wanted to try the unofficial bugfixes, or at least SkyUI, but as far as I can tell the Nexus servers are busy making GBS threads the bed.

The nexus is the most comprehensive site despite how awful it is on many levels. The unofficial patches[url] have bunch of other mirrors. I think SkyUI is nexus only, but other big projects often have a couple other sites too.

Gategate is chronicled in the [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514513]Awesome/awful mods thread
in the second post. Tld;dr: is that mod makers are giant man-children and goons are trying to destroy the modding community. There are other stupid drama explosions in that thread too but gategate was the biggest.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

scamtank posted:

Arthmoor, the main dude behind the unofficial patches, made some mod with a non-optional feature that "restored" really ugly out-of-place Oblivion gates all over Skyrim's cities for ~lore reasons~ and got super ornery when people called it out for being dumb. He really started throwing his weight around when versions of the mod without the gates started popping up.

But they're lore friendly, it makeS NO SENSE FOR THEM TO DISAPPEAR, IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO :qq:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks, I think I've got things sorted out. But holy poo poo this guy is really upset about Oblivion gates.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Does anyone have a mirror of the Skyrim Borderless Fullscreen mod? Nexus is down and I really would like to play this game and be able to seamlessly alt-tab out.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Does anyone have a mirror of the Skyrim Borderless Fullscreen mod? Nexus is down and I really would like to play this game and be able to seamlessly alt-tab out.

I'm not sure what the latest version is, but here is the one I downloaded back in june.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I swear whenever I want to get something, Nexus is down :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

deathrat posted:

I'm not sure what the latest version is, but here is the one I downloaded back in june.

Thanks! Although now it seems to have disabled my mouse cursor or something. Is that normal?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Great OP, I downloaded a lot of stuff since I played this game way back when it got released on PS3. I'm using MO, and I'm having an issue when it comes to TKCombat and two other TK files; also Uncapper (wanna try SPERG) where it says "No game data on top level"

The display is basically

-> <Data>
-> Actual mod files here

Is this normal or I'm missing a step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Azran posted:

Great OP, I downloaded a lot of stuff since I played this game way back when it got released on PS3. I'm using MO, and I'm having an issue when it comes to TKCombat and two other TK files; also Uncapper (wanna try SPERG) where it says "No game data on top level"

The display is basically

-> <Data>
-> Actual mod files here

Is this normal or I'm missing a step?

MO just reads what is in the archive, so it means the mod author made an archive with a data folder as the top level rather than what you should put in the data folder. MO is saying you need to tell it how you want it to extract the file, so you should drag and drop folders so they look as they're supposed to in Skyrim's Data folder.

• Locked thread