Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

londonmoose posted:

Use your normal payment method but change the billing address on it to the fake US one, or is that what you have been doing?

If that doesn't work, maybe your bank is fussy, you can also buy yourself an Amazon US gift card with your normal payment details, apply it to your account details and use that balance, along with the fake US billing address to buy the game. That's usually worked for me.

Not working for me, I think my credit card might be flagged with my proper billing address or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
PayPal $10 to Baudenp@gmail.com and I will take care of you when I get home this evening if you'd like. I'll just email you the steam code via my US amazon and you should be golden.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 26, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zylen posted:

Stop playing for a while.

That's just crazy talk.

Also I have a lesson tonight so I seriously can't.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A lesson FOR you or that you're giving? Because the instructor's going to say the same "know your limits" poo poo as we are.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Dead Pressed posted:

PayPal $10 to Baudenp@gmail.com and I will take care of you when I get home this evening if you'd like. I'll just email you the steam code via my US amazon and you should be golden.

Well I took you up on this, hopefully you don't end up regretting your post :)

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Got this for Xmas. Already noticing improvement. This is an awesome tool. Played a bunch of that duck fret game too.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Well I took you up on this, hopefully you don't end up regretting your post :)

Just emailed the code. Let me know if you have any issues. :)

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Dead Pressed posted:

Seems to have worked. Thank you :)

Now to find the importer tool...

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Seems to have worked. Thank you :)

Now to find the importer tool...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221680 :)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Dead Pressed posted:

I just got home, are you still up for hooking me up as well?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Yep. :) I'll be up for another hour or so. I'll purchase as long as the deal is up.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

:siren: Rocksmith 1 is $7.49 for PC/Mac on Amazon. Go get it! :siren:
Oh son of a whore I just bought it from Steam for the "sale price" of $15 just to get the song import.

I've played acoustic guitar on and off for the past 20 years and mostly it's been an off thing for the past 3 or 4. After a couple hours of playing RS14 on my acoustic piped through a cardioid mic -> m-audio fastrack -> monitor output -> realtone usb cable -> Rocksmith, I finally went out and bought my first electric guitar. I think I waited too long because I tore the gently caress out of my fingers playing on the acoustic for too long. But now who has a bad rear end Epiphone Les Paul Standard (For $260 from guitar center WHAT)?

Learning tool is fun, especially when you upgrade levels and suddenly you've gone from playing a note every 10 second to jumping all over the fretboard. I know I've got that srs face I used to make when I was just learning guitar all over again. I kinda like Rocksmith 1's a little more guided "play this ok and then let's do a performance" thing a little better. This feels right now like I'm all over the map just trying out every song and feature.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Sent, FYI. Let me know if you have any trouble!

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
I got a bass for Christmas!

I've been a guitar guy for 20 years so bass playing is new to me. But, if you can play guitar, you get some bass skills be default. Cherub Rock has such an easy and sweet bass groove.

I love this game!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Dead Pressed posted:

Sent, FYI. Let me know if you have any trouble!

Registered on Steam with no problems, thanks again!

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Bought game, ordered cable, tried to find my old electric guitar...

Roommate gave it to his 12 year old cousin for his birthday three months ago.

Carados fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 27, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Carados posted:

On the flip side your roomate now owes you a new guitar!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

On the flip side your roomate now owes you a new guitar!

This ^

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
What kind of roommate just gives away your stuff without asking :confused:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Carados posted:

At least you have vital new info. Time to do inventory on your stuff.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Aardark posted:

What kind of roommate just gives away your stuff without asking :confused:

This. I'd be pretty pissed. Just because it's a dust collector doesn't mean you have the right to just go give someone's stuff away.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of way to tone down the penalty for loving up?

I'm going along having no problem whatsoever, thinking I can probably grab a sip of beer between some of the parts I have to play. Suddenly playing 5-7-5 on the red string every 3 seconds becomes a chord and wait there's one on the next string down too and was it this way or that way, welp I hosed it up and missed it so now I've deleveled back to being bored again. I know you can jump into the riff repeater and learn it. I'd rather have it just keep throwing the new stuff at me for a little longer because I'll pick it up, just not the very first time I see it and if you take it away I'll forget it by the next time it comes around.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

CapnBry posted:

I'm going along having no problem whatsoever, thinking I can probably grab a sip of beer between some of the parts I have to play. Suddenly playing 5-7-5 on the red string every 3 seconds becomes a chord and wait there's one on the next string down too and was it this way or that way, welp I hosed it up and missed it so now I've deleveled back to being bored again. I know you can jump into the riff repeater and learn it. I'd rather have it just keep throwing the new stuff at me for a little longer because I'll pick it up, just not the very first time I see it and if you take it away I'll forget it by the next time it comes around.

Are you asking about the old Rocksmith or Rocksmith 2014? I've found this happens a lot less in the new version except for a few custom tracks.

Also in RS2014 you can go into riff repeater, select multiple or single sections and boost the difficulty without having to play through accurately. Then you can either practice in riff repeater or exit back to the full song and it will remember where you set it.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

CapnBry posted:

Go into Riff Repeater (Space Bar) turn off Level Up

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Finally got this drat hell rear end game :f5:

here are my super important opinions

Negative poo poo first
  • It was a nightmare getting this thing actually working. I had to look for tech support threads to get it to see the cable (changing audio input settings - you could hear it just fine in Windows), and then when I was playing around with config stuff I had to restart, and the game flat out wouldn't load. Just the intro movie and then a Rocksmith pick in the corner. Possibly a corrupt ini file, possibly something to do with Uplay, you tell me! Got in there after A FEW HOURS

• Some screwy poo poo is going on with note recognition - some of the games feel unresponsive, and I spent a good while killing my fingers trying the Cherub Rock solo (bending 11s at the 21st fret is bad for you, kids) and constantly missing the same unbent note over and over. I finally looked in the tuner and it thinks that fret is sharp, but the moment you bend it slightly it drops back down to where it should be. I can't hear any squeaks or rattles, it sounds completely fine to me, and I just set my intonation (not that that would explain the 'accurate when bent slightly' aspect. Some kind of software glitch? I'm trying to find out more on the forums

• I've been playing for a long time, and everything feels upside-down to me. It completely throws me off, even the hammer-on/pull-off symbols feel the wrong way around. This isn't a complaint, and I can see why they've made the decisions they have, but I get the feeling this is the number one reason why 'established' guitarists are turned off by the experience. Songs I already know are horribly confusing, so the game in effect is regressing you into someone who can't play, which probably irritates a lot of people. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time - and I know you can flip stuff, I'm just sticking with it to see how it goes

Positive stuff
  • This is awesome

• The whole thing is like some guitar playground. You almost don't know where to start, there's so many directions you can run off and explore - play songs, drill bits you need to practice, session mode, put all the gear together...

• The lessons are actually pretty cool - maybe not as actual lessons (they're more 'hey sup cool guy, try this poo poo out' than focused on explaining technique and pitfalls to avoid) but the whole 'here's a technique, you try it, now here's a riff to master that uses it' is a good practice approach. I like. Some of the riffs are cool too, I think... the sustain one maybe, that has a weird timing change in it, so I like that they're not pulling punches. Maybe that confuses some people though

• This game is going to kick my rear end, I can feel it. I was playing You Really Got Me, and it suggesting riff repeating the verse. Simple as hell, play a root-fifth-octave power chord a few times and shift it. Turns out I don't always hit the octave, or at least not as strongly as the others, even when I want to. A simple riff becomes a trial to establish ultimate rhythm accuracy, and there's no hiding behind messy technique. I've always been a messy player, so this is going to help a hell of a lot

• And on that note, I thought the DLC was a bit overpriced for single songs - ok it's a bit like buying the song as a music download, but building your DLC collection will be £$€. Having played a few though, and getting my money's worth out of even a simple thing like that Kinks riff, I can see the justification. You can learn any song for free - use your ears, or even tabs if you want. If you want a personal trainer who'll set you a project, wind the song back and shout at you when you make a mistake, until you can do it perfectly, there's a download for you!

• The arcade games are cheesy as hell and have a ton of character. Spotty recognition aside (which I'll hopefully sort out), they look like great practice

• The guitar tones are fun as hell, and I've barely touched the Tone Designer yet except to make an Orange stack and play some Boris riffs. Same for session mode, which reminds me I need to get the kazoos out

• Since my Amazon sale copy was apparently a pre-order edition they needed to get rid of, free Cherub Rock :hellyeah: I'll probably end up making some customs

I also thought I was going to get a blister doing that Cherub Rock bend but I didn't, so five stars all round!

Sorry for the megapost, here's a ferret in a guitar

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 27, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can invert the strings in the options to make it feel more "right," like how tabs look. Oh right you already know that. Well I flipped mine and find it a lot easier to read. Might as well do it! :thumbsup:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Verizian posted:

Also in RS2014 you can go into riff repeater, select multiple or single sections and boost the difficulty without having to play through accurately. Then you can either practice in riff repeater or exit back to the full song and it will remember where you set it.
Holy fijoles I didn't realize that the settings you set in riff repeater carry back over into the regular play. That's great because I was sort of dreading my first playthrough of every song because it was just going to be a handful of notes. Thanks!

Thanks to you to, toymach1ne.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Finally got this drat hell rear end game :f5:

here are my super important opinions

Negative poo poo first
  • It was a nightmare getting this thing actually working. I had to look for tech support threads to get it to see the cable (changing audio input settings - you could hear it just fine in Windows), and then when I was playing around with config stuff I had to restart, and the game flat out wouldn't load. Just the intro movie and then a Rocksmith pick in the corner. Possibly a corrupt ini file, possibly something to do with Uplay, you tell me! Got in there after A FEW HOURS

• Some screwy poo poo is going on with note recognition - some of the games feel unresponsive, and I spent a good while killing my fingers trying the Cherub Rock solo (bending 11s at the 21st fret is bad for you, kids) and constantly missing the same unbent note over and over. I finally looked in the tuner and it thinks that fret is sharp, but the moment you bend it slightly it drops back down to where it should be. I can't hear any squeaks or rattles, it sounds completely fine to me, and I just set my intonation (not that that would explain the 'accurate when bent slightly' aspect. Some kind of software glitch? I'm trying to find out more on the forums

• I've been playing for a long time, and everything feels upside-down to me. It completely throws me off, even the hammer-on/pull-off symbols feel the wrong way around. This isn't a complaint, and I can see why they've made the decisions they have, but I get the feeling this is the number one reason why 'established' guitarists are turned off by the experience. Songs I already know are horribly confusing, so the game in effect is regressing you into someone who can't play, which probably irritates a lot of people. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time - and I know you can flip stuff, I'm just sticking with it to see how it goes

Positive stuff
  • This is awesome

• The whole thing is like some guitar playground. You almost don't know where to start, there's so many directions you can run off and explore - play songs, drill bits you need to practice, session mode, put all the gear together...

• The lessons are actually pretty cool - maybe not as actual lessons (they're more 'hey sup cool guy, try this poo poo out' than focused on explaining technique and pitfalls to avoid) but the whole 'here's a technique, you try it, now here's a riff to master that uses it' is a good practice approach. I like. Some of the riffs are cool too, I think... the sustain one maybe, that has a weird timing change in it, so I like that they're not pulling punches. Maybe that confuses some people though

• This game is going to kick my rear end, I can feel it. I was playing You Really Got Me, and it suggesting riff repeating the verse. Simple as hell, play a root-fifth-octave power chord a few times and shift it. Turns out I don't always hit the octave, or at least not as strongly as the others, even when I want to. A simple riff becomes a trial to establish ultimate rhythm accuracy, and there's no hiding behind messy technique. I've always been a messy player, so this is going to help a hell of a lot

• And on that note, I thought the DLC was a bit overpriced for single songs - ok it's a bit like buying the song as a music download, but building your DLC collection will be £$€. Having played a few though, and getting my money's worth out of even a simple thing like that Kinks riff, I can see the justification. You can learn any song for free - use your ears, or even tabs if you want. If you want a personal trainer who'll set you a project, wind the song back and shout at you when you make a mistake, until you can do it perfectly, there's a download for you!

• The arcade games are cheesy as hell and have a ton of character. Spotty recognition aside (which I'll hopefully sort out), they look like great practice

• The guitar tones are fun as hell, and I've barely touched the Tone Designer yet except to make an Orange stack and play some Boris riffs. Same for session mode, which reminds me I need to get the kazoos out

• Since my Amazon sale copy was apparently a pre-order edition they needed to get rid of, free Cherub Rock :hellyeah: I'll probably end up making some customs

I also thought I was going to get a blister doing that Cherub Rock bend but I didn't, so five stars all round!

Sorry for the megapost, here's a ferret in a guitar

How did that ferret get into that guitar?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PaganGoatPants posted:

You can invert the strings in the options to make it feel more "right," like how tabs look. Oh right you already know that. Well I flipped mine and find it a lot easier to read. Might as well do it! :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm seeing how it goes, I'm imagining a situation in future where other people will be playing and we're all drunk and I'm all WAIT WAIT I NEED TO INVERT I ONLY PLAY THAT WAY. I'd be that guy.

I'll do it anyway if my brain can't rejig, but to be honest everything's a bit :catstare: right now anyway

awesmoe posted:

How did that ferret get into that guitar?

The eternal ferret question

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Due to the color coding the string order is really only relevant for chord shapes, and I can't see why you wouldn't want those in standard-inverted/tab order.

Then again maybe at some point people start making tabulature books or sites that are "Rocksmith optimized" in a few years and I'll feel like a relic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

In a thousand years it'll have replaced staff notation, and all the cyberoboe players at the Globodome Megaconcerts will be sat in front of little holographic screens showing Rocksmith

That's the other thing actually, the yellow and orange strings don't look that different to me, which isn't helping. Maybe when I get over the initial information overload I'll be able to see the difference easily. Chords are definitely an issue though - when I was playing Cherub Rock (a song I've been able to play for like a decade) and I got to the chorus, some three-note chord appeared. The hell is that! I got the open strings, but I couldn't process the chord.

Turns out it's a Dsus2, which I not only knew from knowing the song, but it's my natural go-to chord whenever I pick up a guitar! Tricky...

e- so what's the deal with customs, do people basically make them and post them and that's it, done? Or do they constantly refine and improve them? I could see the latter causing a few problems with progress and all that

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

baka kaba posted:

In a thousand years it'll have replaced staff notation, and all the cyberoboe players at the Globodome Megaconcerts will be sat in front of little holographic screens showing Rocksmith

"Globodome" cracked me up a bit too much, "Two Oboists enter! One Oboist leaves!"

Last night I fired up the game after the update and it wouldn't connect to uPlay in the game due to their servers being rear end I guess. Tried twiddling with that gain setting and it kept making me do the calibration again and then declaring that something had changed with the volume and then setting it back to default, so I'm not sure what the point is if it's going to be like that about it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Brightman posted:

"Globodome" cracked me up a bit too much, "Two Oboists enter! One Oboist leaves!"

"He's soaked his reed in a highly flammable lighter fluid! But his competitor has upped the ante and switched to a bassoon reed, completely turning the tables!"

Brightman posted:

Last night I fired up the game after the update and it wouldn't connect to uPlay in the game due to their servers being rear end I guess. Tried twiddling with that gain setting and it kept making me do the calibration again and then declaring that something had changed with the volume and then setting it back to default, so I'm not sure what the point is if it's going to be like that about it.

Yeah, the first time I saw "Unable to connect to the Ubi.com servers," a few nights ago I was thinking gently caress I can't play my game anymore but lo and behold it let me through to discover the bouncy bouncy joy of Go Further. drat that song's fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
32,966,000 points in Ducks ReDux.

I was at Level 2 for that round.

:black101: leaderboards will be mine :black101:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

32,966,000 points in Ducks ReDux.

I was at Level 2 for that round.

:black101: leaderboards will be mine :black101:

Now do it without looking down. :mmmhmm:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I don't even type without looking down. :saddowns:

e: Not making a new post for this but 95 million now. ~150/30,000 on the Steam boards. Buahahaha.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 28, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Some custom comments since I'm finally back home and can play guitar again. All from the fabled terrible generic metal category.

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies
Relatively easy song considering the guitarist. The tones are probably the biggest reason I was so impressed with this, it just sounds right. Really cool to play and surprisingly not ruined by LaBrie. No DD.

Velvet Revolver - Messages
From Slash with love. Very easy to play, sounds amazing. Has DD.

Serenity - Wings of Madness
These guys are essentially a European Kamelot. The rhythm especially early on is unorthodox and I liked figuring it out. The song is excellent too. Has DD.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Good riffs even for Metallica standards. Not too complicated but kind of fast. Actually has some pinch harmonics which confirms that Mr. Hammett is indeed capable of playing them. No DD.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Hey, thanks for that. More people should post comments about customs, otherwise I just check out songs I already know.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Agreed, I've had to sift through a ton of poor customs. I'd love it if people recommended the good ones they've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Some custom comments since I'm finally back home and can play guitar again. All from the fabled terrible generic metal category.

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies
Relatively easy song considering the guitarist. The tones are probably the biggest reason I was so impressed with this, it just sounds right. Really cool to play and surprisingly not ruined by LaBrie. No DD.

Velvet Revolver - Messages
From Slash with love. Very easy to play, sounds amazing. Has DD.

Serenity - Wings of Madness
These guys are essentially a European Kamelot. The rhythm especially early on is unorthodox and I liked figuring it out. The song is excellent too. Has DD.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Good riffs even for Metallica standards. Not too complicated but kind of fast. Actually has some pinch harmonics which confirms that Mr. Hammett is indeed capable of playing them. No DD.

Awesome, thanks! Loving customs.
I got my buddy a copy since he's picking up bass again after years, to play in his buddies band. He fell in love instantly, and it was great fun playing with a bassist. I highly recommend it.