Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it may have been, but the writer change and the internet guessing the ending probably led to the last minute switcheroo. It was certainly a surprise, just not the good kind.

What was the ending the internet guessed again? The Dark Matter one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spikeguy posted:

How many of you have played ME3 (or any of the other games) since you either played or learned about the ending? I'm curious if the initial anger went away and allowed people to play again, or if some people were just turned off outright.

I've done 2 trilogy playthroughs since ME3 came out. Now it's kinda become a Christmas tradition for me.

I've done a couple playthroughs for new DLC or to see if Kaiden or Ashley was more interesting, but I've never been able to complete one since I say the original endings. The closest I got was going through the goodbyes on Earth before losing all will to continue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Spikeguy posted:

How many of you have played ME3 (or any of the other games) since you either played or learned about the ending? I'm curious if the initial anger went away and allowed people to play again, or if some people were just turned off outright.

I've done 2 trilogy playthroughs since ME3 came out. Now it's kinda become a Christmas tradition for me.
when the extended cut came out I liked it enough that I played through the game again to get a paragon Control ending. Me and my wife both started a big trilogy playthrough in the summer, but we didn't get all the way through ME3. Yet, at least.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've done multiple trilogy playthroughs since the game came out. Or at least tried to, I normally peter out early in ME1. God that game has aged abysmally.

I honestly don't understand people who won't touch the entire series because of the ending.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Wait a second, what was the original ending that the internet apparently guessed correctly?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

n4 posted:

Wait a second, what was the original ending that the internet apparently guessed correctly?

Broadly, it had to do with the Reapers preventing the galaxy from being consumed by out-of-control dark energy. I don't think the specifics were ever nailed down.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Milky Moor posted:

I wish there was more of an interest in the creative process of games from gamers and gaming journalism (lol), like there is in films. How things were made, why certain decisions were made, what the difficulties and obstacles were. I reckon the development of Mass Effect 3 would be enlightening and pretty fascinating.

There's no such thing as games journalism, it's just a bunch of people who are willing shill for large corporations in order to get access into the little club of game execs and managers (notice how nobody ever talks to some joe schmo particle animation guy or whatever)

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

I've played through ME3 probably about three times. My last playthrough was after all of the DLC had been released, so I could have the "complete" experience. I honestly thought that the whole ending controversy was blown way out of proportion when I played it right after it first came out, and still do. But, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I was completely fine with the "control" ending (despite leaning heavily Renegade throughout the series).

Like you, there was a time when I used to put in a playthrough of ME1 and 2 at least once a year, but I haven't jumped back in just yet. I love ME1's writing and atmosphere, but it takes forever to get going. And it really sucks that I can't Biotic Charge my way through every battle. If they dumped the ME3's combat into ME1's exploration-focused structure, I would be a happy baby.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

n4 posted:

If I recall right, it'd eventually turn out to be something to the effect of "Oh no, it turns out that massive use of Mass Effect technology will cause the universe to be consumed in a black hole, and the Reapers do their galactic cleansing cycle before any race in a given cycle can advance far enough for it to start!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

It's not really out of anger or anything, but I haven't touched any Mass Effect game since I beat ME3. I probably won't buy a sequal either. I just don't have any desire to return to the ME universe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BexGu posted:

What was the ending the internet guessed again? The Dark Matter one?
No idea. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that the ending changed, and it's clear from hastily patched in plot hooks in 3, and clues in 1 and 2 that the ending in 3 is not the trilogy ending they had in mind when writing 1 and 2.

The internet guessing the ending is probably me projecting my own theory about the ending of lost, which is that they kept changing it because the fans kept working it out, to the point that it kind of stopped making sense.

Maybe it's just that they changed lead writers (which apparently they did) and the new guy had his own idea.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wasn't there also something about their original final draft getting leaked out somehow? Between that and the head writers changing midway through, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't opt for everyone exploding into orange goo while rather disturbing music played in the background.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have to try the Psychotic Biotic.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bobjr posted:

Shepard knew otherwise they would have potentially treated Harbinger as a love interest, which would have been almost slightly better than what Harbinger ended up getting in 3.

Do you have something against Harbinger being a love interest???

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
are you pursuing an agenda here, mr bobjr??? my reaper-human babies will rule this galaxy until kingdom come

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well I'm sure Harbinger couldn't be a worse love interest than Dianna Allers.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

bobjr posted:

Well I'm sure Harbinger couldn't be a worse love interest than Dianna Allers.
Just wait until you see him mack on the lady reapers with his space-fedora, you'll be thankful for what we've got. Also please probate me for one week if, at any point in the future, I unironically use the term "mack" again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Do you have something against Harbinger being a love interest???
"I know you feel this."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
somebody explain to me why the sovereign ai projection (red thing on virmire) had a head. what is the point?

http://minus.com/i/bvGbkZV4yZJWN

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

somebody explain to me why the sovereign ai projection (red thing on virmire) had a head. what is the point?

http://minus.com/i/bvGbkZV4yZJWN

You mean the thing to the left? I think that's an interface like the ones you see all over the CIC on the Normandy.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

You mean the thing to the left? I think that's an interface like the ones you see all over the CIC on the Normandy.

yeah, the thing to the left. It, more or less, has features similar to eyes so I always assumed it was supposed to be a head. And the CIC interfaces are shaped like monitors.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

yeah, the thing to the left. It, more or less, has features similar to eyes so I always assumed it was supposed to be a head. And the CIC interfaces are shaped like monitors.

Probably supposed to be a Minority Report-esque one where you stand and fling things around you.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It doesn't look a head.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NAoNd4YyY

It's the console Shepard uses. Obvious from the angle this video starts at, less so in that one screenshot (which is probably from about a minute in or so)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's pretty interesting to see how much the voice acting improved from Mass Effect 1 onwards. It's all fairly serviceable but flat. In particular, both Garrus and Tali are noticeably better in Mass Effect 2.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Psion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NAoNd4YyY

It's the console Shepard uses. Obvious from the angle this video starts at, less so in that one screenshot (which is probably from about a minute in or so)

drat =[ i would also like to say the human reaper looked hella dumb

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

drat =[ i would also like to say the human reaper looked hella dumb

Them's fightin' words.

Milky Moor posted:

It's pretty interesting to see how much the voice acting improved from Mass Effect 1 onwards. It's all fairly serviceable but flat. In particular, both Garrus and Tali are noticeably better in Mass Effect 2.

They all got the same clip around the ears that Mark Meer did.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Brandon Keener has such a distinctive voice though, so far I've spotted him in Castle, LA Noire and Buffy. With the other Turians it sounds like they put a slight distort on the lower range of the voices, but if you listen to Keener in anything else, his voice seems to do the Turian distort on its own.

It's weird seeing characters you know from a game in the flesh, because you can't help but hear their voice as an entity separate to their real face. Funnily enough the Deus Ex thread was saying the same thing about Adam Jensen's voice actor, who also has a really distinctive voice.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's weird seeing characters you know from a game in the flesh, because you can't help but hear their voice as an entity separate to their real face.

Ever since I re-watched 24, Admiral Raan will always be that terrorist-family mother to me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And in counterpoint, it was nice to end up in a firefight with Jayne Cobb.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Spikeguy posted:

I haven't worked up enough interest to play ME3 since I learned about the endings. They just totally sapped my interest in the last game. I hear ME3 gameplay is good, but it doesn't offer anything I can't get elsewhere. My real interest was in the story.

It's not just the endings either, I have a real issue with how they butchered the Geth's character. It's total bullshit to imply that they weren't really alive the way they were before and they need to become more like organics to be considered of worth. It's also ridiculous how their whole interest as a networked AI with a lack of individuality wanting to join together as one giant entity was ignored and discarded in the way that you actually make them do the exact opposite of what they really wanted.

I also dislike the way BioWare has made Cerberus the Team Rocket of Mass Effect. The whole about-face in the third game into token bad guys was ridiculous and boring. I was hoping you'd be forced to team up with the Illusive Man and he would act as a moral foil for Shepard.

Basically, it's the story issues that have kept me from playing the game.

I am actually looking forward to Mass Effect 4, but the subject of the "canon" Mass Effect 3 ending and BioWare's history has made me expect the worst. I'm afraid BioWare is going to make the Destroy ending canon, which I view as the lowest common denominator ending that reverts everything to the status quo. Having the Reapers still be alive in Mass Effect 4 and be on your side for a change would make things far more interesting. Their presence, knowledge, and technology would have a huge impact on how the galaxy develops in the future and present more options in general.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Ever since I re-watched 24, Admiral Raan will always be that terrorist-family mother to me.

Raan - Admiral, author, tech support:

(starts at 3:47 if Youtube doesn't automatically redirect you)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FPFUrXbQgc&t=227s

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

I am actually looking forward to Mass Effect 4, but the subject of the "canon" Mass Effect 3 ending and BioWare's history has made me expect the worst. I'm afraid BioWare is going to make the Destroy ending canon, which I view as the lowest common denominator ending that reverts everything to the status quo. Having the Reapers still be alive in Mass Effect 4 and be on your side for a change would make things far more interesting. Their presence, knowledge, and technology would have a huge impact on how the galaxy develops in the future and present more options in general.

I agree with this, and also am against Destroy being the canon ending for other reasons (no Geth, EDI, etc.), but having said that, Control be the canon ending, even just synthesis, and having Reapers around as allies, creates broadly the same problem as having God as a character in a story. I.e. why doesn't God just fix it with a wave of a wand? Or in this case, why doesn't a Reaper just fix it by vaporizing somebody or just hovering there and looking menacing?

The most I could see them doing is either having Destroy be canon and retconning out the "killed all synthetics" officially and make it just Reaper stuff (lame but I can live with it) or go with Synthesis and hand wave away most of the space magic and write the Reapers out of the story somehow.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I still play the gently caress out of the multiplayer if that counts!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

1st AD posted:

Raan - Admiral, author, tech support:

(starts at 3:47 if Youtube doesn't automatically redirect you)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FPFUrXbQgc&t=227s

It's kind of uncanny, really, her and Brandon Keener have such distinct voices that they require hardly any post-processing when they do the alien voices in Mass Effect, so their alien characters sound pretty much exactly like they do.

Like, I don't think Harbinger's VA sounds that much like Harbinger in real life. Although that would be pretty funny.

E: Actually, speaking of which, wasn't there a goon that did some Harbinger voice clips way back in the old ME2 thread? Some of those were pretty good.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 28, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with this, and also am against Destroy being the canon ending for other reasons (no Geth, EDI, etc.), but having said that, Control be the canon ending, even just synthesis, and having Reapers around as allies, creates broadly the same problem as having God as a character in a story. I.e. why doesn't God just fix it with a wave of a wand? Or in this case, why doesn't a Reaper just fix it by vaporizing somebody or just hovering there and looking menacing?
Well not all problems can be solved with overwhelming military force obviously. I'm sure BioWare has enough talent left to come up with a plot that can't be solved by the Reapers throwing their weight around. At least not easily.

Hell, just take a look at Afghanistan. The US has more than enough firepower to flatten the country and everything in it, but that isn't feasible for obvious reasons.

Of course we don't know enough about a possible ME4 plot to judge things. Perhaps a guerrilla warfare campaign by surviving Leviathans trying to ruin everything?

quote:

The most I could see them doing is either having Destroy be canon and retconning out the "killed all synthetics" officially and make it just Reaper stuff (lame but I can live with it) or go with Synthesis and hand wave away most of the space magic and write the Reapers out of the story somehow.
Retconning the Destroy ending so it only kills reapers and not all synthetics would be the worst cop-out ever. It's totally abandoning the idea that choices have consequences. I hope BioWare isn't that far gone yet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Choices don't have consequences though, because no matter what you have to accept what the Catalyst is doing either by choosing one of it's options or by doing nothing and letting everyone get wiped out. For a series that tricks you into thinking that self-determination is a thing, it really takes a dump on everything you've accomplished at the end.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Burning Mustache posted:

E: Actually, speaking of which, wasn't there a goon that did some Harbinger voice clips way back in the old ME2 thread? Some of those were pretty good.
I don't remember anyone doing Harbinger, but someone did a pretty good reading of Legion talking about Zybourne Clock.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Naw, there was a goon who put recordings on Tindeck saying poo poo like "Asari, perfectly adapted for fellatio"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burning Mustache posted:

Like, I don't think Harbinger's VA sounds that much like Harbinger in real life. Although that would be pretty funny.

He sure doesn't!

• Locked thread