Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

dandaman posted:

Saw this beauty today...

drat, good find. There used to be a p1800es around my town, never had the chance to talk to the owner. Somehow they look even prettier in person than they do in pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

As Nero Danced posted:

drat, good find. There used to be a p1800es around my town, never had the chance to talk to the owner. Somehow they look even prettier in person than they do in pictures.

At my last job, we went to install internet at a guy's house, and in his garage he had a partially restored P1800 and a donor/resto candidate P1800. It's hard enough to find one in the midwest, much less two in the same place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 25, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrap it up VAGailures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6wiwCWa1E

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Guys: Behold, the Lego Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ObE4_nMCjE

Now we just need to see how it was built.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Paging Cakefool to Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALVIS-STALWART-6x6-MILITARY-VEHICLE-/181283910900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a355cf4f4

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

I wonder how much it'd take to get that to the States. Would it fit in a container? Could probably fill it and the container with Rover spares and make a good chunk of the cash back selling the parts in the States and get a cheap and awesome 6x6 out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

I wonder how much it'd take to get that to the States. Would it fit in a container? Could probably fill it and the container with Rover spares and make a good chunk of the cash back selling the parts in the States and get a cheap and awesome 6x6 out of it.
Just fill it with Rover parts and tell them to tow it behind the ship.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
e: ^^^^^ Ad says it doesn't have any of the swimming gear

Cool as heck, drat nearly placed a bid on it too.
Then I was struck by the reality I couldn't afford the insurance (probably) and I expect it needs a special licence?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is every american TV advert narrated in that same "EEE AAA. It's in the GAME!" voice? Or has the internet misled me?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crankit posted:

e: ^^^^^ Ad says it doesn't have any of the swimming gear
It should still float, though. Maybe.

quote:

Cool as heck, drat nearly placed a bid on it too.
Then I was struck by the reality I couldn't afford the insurance (probably) and I expect it needs a special licence?
Technically a category C, unless they've been a bit cheeky and registered it as pre-'60, in which case you're ok unladen.

Insurance probably isn't a huge amount. When did you last see/hear of something like that being stolen or crashed?

The main problem is that there are no differentials between the 1st/2nd/3rd wheels on a given side, only between the two sets, so they get transmission wind-up on hard surfaces.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My uncle's restored 1967 1969 Camaro with 383 stroker of some sort

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 27, 2013

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
To nitpick, it' a 69, but still. Sweet car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I.......don't know what to say about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Tamp2fHhg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

"gently caress Yeah, this is Awesome!" works for me.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Motronic posted:

What's its quarter mile time?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

What's its quarter mile time?

That depends. Are we talking about chain speed or the speed of the operator when it kicks back?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Das Volk posted:

My uncle's restored 1967 Camaro with 383

Holy poo poo that is nice but yea its a 69. 67 had vent windows and no eyebrows over the wheel wells.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Fart Pipe posted:

Holy poo poo that is nice but yea its a 69. 67 had vent windows and no eyebrows over the wheel wells.

I don't have year-to-year knowledge of muscle cars, I like them aesthetically but I never got into them otherwise. However I do like how it sounds while idling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwOfV7wD9I

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That sounds amazing, holy crap. Super nice car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Das Volk posted:

I don't have year-to-year knowledge of muscle cars, I like them aesthetically but I never got into them otherwise. However I do like how it sounds while idling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwOfV7wD9I

Lumpy and grumpy. Sounds fantastic.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

How many people die if the chain breaks?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the poi posted:

How many people die if the chain breaks?

The chain won't break, the whole mess will break loose of the pivot wheels and slice the entire planet in half.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

The chain won't break, the whole mess will break loose of the pivot wheels and slice the entire planet in half.

:corsair: "Every decade or so, we start hearin' a buzzin'. That means deathchopper is comin' back to town. Goin' underground don't help.. it goes underground. You can only in the sky for so long.. when deathchopper comes for ya, its gonna getcha!"

:downs: 'But doesn't it run out of gas, Grandpa?'

:corsair: "It does, Timmy. It does. :sigh: But some fool bastard always refills it and starts it up."

:corsair: :sigh:

:corsair: "Timmy, I'm going to tell you something I never told anyone else, before, ever, in my life. I was in Desert Storm, and I have seen people die.. but I've never told another soul about this."

:downs: :smith:

:corsair: "I.. I refilled it once, Timmy. It remembers. Its coming, but I'm too old to fight. Its time for you, Timmy, to pick up and rebel against the deathchopper."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Lumpy and grumpy. Sounds fantastic.

No poo poo.

Am I a bad person if I want to put a cam in my GMC just so it has a nice lumpy idle?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo.

Am I a bad person if I want to put a cam in my GMC just so it has a nice lumpy idle?

Nope, presentation counts. Who gives a poo poo if it goes faster when it sounds good?

Disclaimer: I am now, and have ever been a teenage ricer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, it'd go faster too :getin:

I just worry that it'd be impossible to launch... well, more impossible than it already is.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Das Volk posted:

The thing I love about the motors in muscle cars is just how drat low they idle. No matter how many times I hear them I just keep expecting the engine to stall, even though I know better.

[edit] saw this while I watched the chainsaw video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdt68v5UA8E

V8 Barstool

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 27, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

11BulletCatcher posted:

The thing I love about the motors in muscle cars is just how drat low they idle. No matter how many times I hear them I just keep expecting the engine to stall, even though I know be

Dude, they stall all the time. Anything with a big overlap cam idles like poo poo. That's what happens when half your exhaust is reversing through the intake valves and half of the fresh mix is blowing out of the headers before ignition.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Excellent point. Still, it's an awesome sound, taut with suspense.

Now, for a different kind of awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpFg7U8HFp8

1978 Mercury Cougar XR7. Sure, slow as hell, but that styling rocks! I'm pickin up a 77 in Feb, and I could not be more excited. Say what you will about land yachts, but you can't argue they have a hell of a presence on the road.

On the flipside, they really are slower than they have any right to be. I was watching a video where a guy was reviving his Lincoln Continental Mark V with a 460, and his 0-60 time was almost 15 seconds.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 27, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It'll be cool when we get to play with electromagnetic valves in street cars. Hello lumpy rear end idle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlackMK4 posted:

It'll be cool when we get to play with electromagnetic valves in street cars. Hello lumpy rear end idle.

Tunes apparently can already make loping idles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekjX2vCTvc

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Tunes apparently can already make loping idles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekjX2vCTvc

Make it miss at idle basically?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I would pay a lot of money to drive around that all day long.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

Make it miss at idle basically?

Yep. Big cams idle that way because they run high overlap (for high-rpm power), which causes it to misfire at idle due to

wallaka posted:

...half your exhaust is reversing through the intake valves and half of the fresh mix is blowing out of the headers before ignition.

The 5.0 has dual VVT, so you can tune it to run high overlap at idle to get the misfire like that. It's neat, but at the same time kind of a poser thing, since you're not gaining any power by doing it; with VVT you can tune for high overlap at high RPM, but still have smooth idle and clean emissions.

Also it can gently caress up your catalytic converters if you do it a lot; all that hot unburnt fuel and free oxygen will make the cats way hotter even than they already are, and can slag the catalyst if it gets hot enough. Then you've got a drivability issue (because your exhaust is now plugged) that's several thousand dollars to fix, because even the federal emissions warranty probably won't cover it since it was directly caused by modifying the car.

E\/No that's the whole thing, VVT is Variable. With a traditional cam (especially on pushrod engines) you're stuck with one overlap setting, so either have a smooth idle and give up power, or sacrifice idle quality for power gains. With VVT you can change the overlap throughout the rev range, so you can have both. Having VVT make a loping idle is entirely an image thing.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 27, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The "cam tunes" are supposed to help at high RPMs too, but who knows. I'd be more worried about the tuners turning off the knock sensors and grenading the engine.

I'd imagine most people running a cam tune would also have an "off-road" x-pipe too. Then again, Mustang owners...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does that mesh with emissions testing? We don't have EGR on petrol cars anymore because VVTI can be used to do the same thing. If you gently caress with the overlap at idle it could potentially gently caress this up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A lot of areas only computer-scan OBDII cars, and skip the time / expense of actually sniffing the exhaust. Which means that the people who have the ability to tune their cars to create more emissions, can also tune out the CELs they would normally get, and would only fail on the X-pipe if they get a visual inspection.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good that's a state, still beautiful though. I need to refresh my memory on the drive train, it must be possible to install e/m clutches between the pairs to make it street drivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Good that's a state, still beautiful though. I need to refresh my memory on the drive train, it must be possible to install e/m clutches between the pairs to make it street drivable.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. They use bevel gears at each wheel with propshafts between them, so I'm sure you could make a disconnect system that'd work. Drive from the powerplant is via the
centre wheels, then fore/aft from there.

I still want one. :3: Guess for the time being I'll have to settle for getting a 1/35 scale one when I have £100 spare.