Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I took my son for the first time recently after his 3rd birthday. All they did was count his teeth, do a thorough brushing and flossing and a fluoride treatment. They said unless there are obvious signs of decay or pain, at this age it's just to get them used to the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The updated guideline we were told was a first visit at one year and then a follow-up once all of the teeth are in.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

MarshallX posted:

https://www.owletcare.com

Do I think parents with normal babies need this? Probably not. Given our circumstances though...am I being crazy?

Absolutely 100% NOT crazy.

My son has Williams Syndrome and had a ton of medical issues in his first year of life. We've been incredibly lucky in that he's evened out and his more severe medical problems stabilized since then. But man, that first year - I used every piece of tech I could get my hands on to make my life easier. Any breastfeeding mom of a completely healthy infant will tell you sometimes she can't remember which side she nursed from last...add in a whole bunch of additional things you have to remember to monitor or dose or record or whatever and things can go to poo poo really quickly.

Hdip posted:

When do you take a baby to the dentist for the first time?

I took my son in for the first time at somewhere between 12 & 15 months. They did a quick look and cleaning and took x-rays (although I think the x-rays are atypical? My son's syndrome carries with it a possibility of some adult teeth being missing, so she did x-rays to check the tooth buds and make sure they were all there). He's seen her every 6 months since then for cleanings. Speaking of which, he's got an appointment at the end of the month - his first one with his 4 shiny new super sharp adult teeth! However, it seems common enough around these parts for kids to not see a dentist until 4 or 5 years old. There's a state requirement in California that each kid see a dentist by the end of their kindergarten year and there were at least a few in my son's kindergarten class who hadn't seen one yet when school started.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Finances/Stay-at-home issues: When I quit my job and got pregnant with my first kid, I made a deal with my husband - I take care of the house/kids, he earns the money. I do as much as I can in the home while he works a full-time job with a brutal commute AND works a freelance gig in his spare time. It is very 50s but it works for us, and I let him handle the nighttime routine with the kids (bath, storytime, bed) so he has some bonding time with them. So, essentially, my job is as valuable as his since I coupon to save money on groceries, we don't have to pay for daycare, and the household chores are maintained as well as can be. And, you know, caring for children 24/7. I maintain the books, we discuss the status of all bills and upcoming expenses, and everything is handled reasonably.

First time at the dentist: I have been brushing my kids teeth since they first popped through their gums, and the oldest first saw a dentist at 18-months. My second will be seeing the dentist for the first time at around 14-months. It's all about routine, ease of procedure, and the free toothbrushes. It also encouraged me to set a tooth brushing routine with the kids for both morning and night.

Dudes carrying babies: Honestly, Bjorns and stuff are becoming so popular, I am pretty used to seeing dads carrying kids these days. I don't think it's a big deal to anyone, just make sure the kid is comfy and survives the ride.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the replies, everyone. It's interesting to see how others do things, because it's not usually something you can ask anyone but the closest friends and family.

greatn - I like the way your system sounds. I had been hoping to avoid daycare because of the expense. My partner is an academic, and largely works from home, so I was thinking we'd rearrange our schedules to accommodate work time for both of us. I do admit that it would be complicated though. Physical therapy is actually a really great idea that appeals to me, but I'd have to go back to school to do it, so it's not for right now.

hookerbot 5000 - This sounds like a good system too, with the two accounts. We only use my partner's accounts right now, in his name. I do think a serious conversation is in order, because I had no idea he felt that way. I doubt I'd make enough money at this point to be contributing in any meaningful way to the household, but it seemed like the only option at the time. I didn't say it in retaliation, but more like, what does that make me, if all the money is his? I can't have that, therefore I must make my own money.

Ben Davis, An Cat Dubh and Chickalicious - I'm glad to see that other reasonable people would get angry at the "his money" thing, too.

Papercut - That's how I thought we were doing the money thing, as a couple. I do hope we stay together, though. I really do love him and we have good times together.

Alistair Cookie - First of all, I loved, "I am Santa and the Easter Bunny exclusively." It sounded like a royal decree. My daughter is into the princess thing, and I pictured you with a fancy robe and sceptre. We never did have "my/his" money since we had our daughter, and I thought we were ok with that. He never has any cash on him, but since at any time he could have had cash by withdrawing some, I figured that that's the way he wanted it. I guess he's feeling overworked or under-appreciated. You are right about the mine/yours mentality - it isn't productive, and it doesn't feel good. The job thing wasn't really "spite" though. I mean, I did say it while we were angry, but I felt he was being a bit holier-than-thou about being the only earner… I mean, I can and did earn my own money for years and years, and I don't want to be the sort of role model for my daughter that freeloads off another, and if her dad feels that way, it's bound to show in some manner. Boycotting the shopping was also immature of me, I know. But if he was feeling unappreciated, it's nothing to being told you're essentially useless, and a burden. That arrangement can't continue, because when he left yesterday to do the Christmas shopping I told him we didn't have much for dinner, and when he came home just before 8, the only food he brought was a single serving of hash browns from a diner nearby. He never, ever, ever goes grocery shopping with me. And in fact, I bring my daughter along on every trip, and we take the bus, so I can see why he wouldn't want to. He'd never come.

Ron Jeremy - thanks!

hepscat - We could definitely use more money, although we are comfortable enough right now. I believed that we were sacrificing my potential income so that our daughter would be well looked-after, and we scrimped accordingly. He pays the bills, and beyond that, he doesn't usually seem to care where money goes, or maybe he doesn't have enough time to check? It wasn't that he objected to groceries, per se, more I think that he doesn't have much spending money, or perhaps that we had a lot of expenses for Christmas. I hadn't considered your example of gymnastics class - I had just planned on spending any money I made all for the household in any way that it was necessary. I wasn't even thinking about buying anything whatsoever for myself, it was just the principle - I wouldn't feel as lovely as I do now, if I had money I was earning. About the allowance thing - it does sound that way. Not that I would ever take it, if the mine/yours divide was still in place. I very rarely make purchases for myself, and in fact I could really use some dental work we've been putting off, I don't have winter boots, and a lot of my underwear have holes in them.

Thank you so much for sharing, everyone. I'm glad to know that others feel similarly about the mine/yours thing, and I'm also glad that I was called out for being passive-aggressive about the shopping and job issue. He and I will have to find a time to talk soon, otherwise Christmas is going to be pretty grim! If we don't figure this out soon, I have no idea how I'm supposed to host three days of festivities for his family if I don't get the groceries and little things I need!

Edit: clarity and gratuitous comma usage.

Chandrika fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just one more data point for you.

I'm the bread winner, and my wife is a stay at home mom. Even when she worked, she didn't make a lot, and we ran the numbers and child care/gas/etc would cost about as much as she would earn.

That said, I have had to stop myself at the last moment from saying the same thing to my wife that your husband said to you. He doesn't actually want you to work a different job. Your job is hard enough. What he means is that he feels like he isn't being respected and appreciated, and feels like you don't appreciate what he does to earn that money. Have you been complaining about money being tight? Asking him to ask for a raise? Doing something he considers frivolous? Spending a lot of time with friends and asking him to watch the kids?

You've spent a long day at work, but so has he, so when one of you sees the other relax and not taking care of chores, it might seem like someone is getting the short end of the stick.

Sit down and talk with your husband, and figure out what he really means. Listen to what he says. He'll probably be fine with everything that's going on once you talk it out and figure what's actually bugging him.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Chandrika posted:

We only use my partner's accounts right now, in his name.

Good luck with the chat, I hope it goes well. One thing I'd say though is that if you aren't already a named person on bank accounts or utilities it might be an idea to bring that up when things have calmed down. When my dad died my mum was hosed for a while because no one would speak to her about any of the existing stuff as it was all in dads name and then when she tried to take out new contracts for the phone or something the company wouldn't give her one because she didn't have a credit history after everything being in my dads name for the last 15 years.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I work a full time and a part time job, and my husband is an automotive tech student and has been unemployed for over a year. My mom watches the baby while he's at school but most of the childcare and housework falls to him. I admit I've been resentful about spending "my money".

I pay for his tuition, his gas to class, the $500+ of auto tools he's bought so far, the rent and food, the $1000+ of dental work he had recently, the $1000+ of car repair he's needed recently, and the very expensive antibiotics he needed for Lyme disease.

Some days I get up at 6am, work my first job, go directly to second job, get home at 11pm, and hear my husband tell me about the nap he took with our daughter and the movie he watched after she went to bed. I see the dishes piled up on the counter and the laundry hamper overflowing and I just feel so, so resentful about spending so much of my paycheck on him.

Other days I work just one job and I come home and he's done a good job with the house and the baby's happy and I feel a lot better about the situation.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Adding another data point to the "how do couples with children handle money?" discussion.

My wife is a stay-at-home parent; I have a full-time job that (thankfully) pays well enough to support the family. But in terms of the money I make, I don't think of it as "my" money; it's our money (I will try to never play the "I'm the one who supports the family" card, because that's just low). My wife does plenty of labor around the house, not to mention watching the little bundle of energy, that the amount of money she'd have to make to offset it just isn't worth pursuing. My wife is also ultimately responsible for the finances; after all, she's the one who spends money the most often. I arguably only spend it when I buy lunch at work (instead of bringing it); she buys groceries, takes care of the cars, handles clothes shopping, and all the other little things that go into maintaining a household. I benefit from her labor and free time; she benefits from my working full-time. Ultimately, this is a mutually beneficial relationship.

In terms of our accounts, my paycheck goes into our main bank account, out of which all of our bills are paid. A regular deposit is put into a separate bank account that is our savings for our next car, and also doubles as my "allowance". (As I'm the one who's terrible about money, having this check on me means that I don't bankrupt us with stupid purchases). We have one shared credit card (paid out of the main bank account), and we each have our own separate credit cards on top of that (mine pays out of my "allowance"; hers out of the main bank account if she even uses it? I don't know if she does). The separate credit cards is mostly so that we can buy gifts for each other without the other seeing the charge or how much it really was and such.

With spending, we generally have a threshold of 100$ that requires talking with each other in some fashion. If she buys a book, or I buy a fancy lunch or something, it's not worth arguing about--but things over 100$ at least we do a "Hey, by the way, I'm going to be getting a lot of clothes soon" or "By the way, I'd like to buy an iPad". And even sub-100$ things we talk about: "Hey, I'm going to buy this board game". But that's because we see ourselves as being in this together, and the money being "ours". The idea of "I pay for this, you pay for that" wouldn't work for us and would divide us too much (my allowance notwithstanding, but that's explicitly for things I'm buying for myself or as gifts, not for the family).

Ultimately, it's communication, and it's fair to be angry when people aren't looking out for the alliance fully. And sometimes, we get angry and say things that are hurtful and make things harder. So you spend some time apart, calm down, and come back trying to talk about it calmly again.

:words: Every family figures out their own balance, as all the other people clearly show. The common thread among all of them that work is communication, communication, communication.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
Not to overly dramatize this point, but I can't imagine saying that kind of thing to my wife even if she WAS spending too much money.

We both work full time, and we have separate accounts for some things (mostly just to keep track of spending in Mint), and I make almost twice as much as she does, but all the money is ours. Even the gold and silver coins I bought while we were engaged. Even the $4k in fun-money I have in my brokerage. Even my bonuses.

I think the only time I've considered money "mine" vs. "ours" is when we get like a gift card or a $100 bill for our anniversary and I expect to split it with her.

Separate, not as serious topic:

My wife and I have an awesome 2.5 year old son named Beckett who goes to daycare while we work. We couldn't be happier with his daycare teachers, but (and maybe this was inevitable) he has started using words like "hate" and "stupid" and "jesus" - words that we definitely don't use around him.

It's usually when he's tired or upset, and we explain to him that we don't like those words and that they make us upset.

But he doesn't seem to be especially remorseful or even really understand - like he does with hitting, for instance. If he hits someone he knows it's wrong and when confronted will apologize and show remorse, but we can't seem to get him to care very much about the bad words he uses. And yes, I know that hate and stupid aren't really bad words...

I guess I'm wondering if there's a technique we're missing to get him to understand that we don't want him using these words.

He's also wonderfully blunt in other ways that we appreciate, if not enjoy - like the other day when he told a woman that her son wasn't cute.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
He doesn't get it. He's not really capable of getting it. Hitting is comparatively easy--it's concrete, he can see the [bad] results, and he knows it hurts to be hit. Words are so esoteric. My kids both picked up bad words [yes, from me--gently caress and 'god-dannut' specifically] and they do not sound like sailors now. First of all, I would try not acknowledging it, and since it's not in your home lexicon, they may just fade on their own. Next, if it persists, you can just off-handedly say something like, "Oh, "hate" is such a mean word; it hurts our feelings. You can say you 'don't like' something instead." Or encourage him to replace the offending word with something nonsensical and silly instead--a goofy word may have more appeal anyway. Fiddlesticks! Biscuit-buttons! But don't try to make a big deal of it--it will backfire. I wouldn't try to make him feel 'bad' since it's just not something he's developmentally capable of with regards to the power of words. You would have better luck explaining why telling someone their kid isn't cute isn't appropriate (it can clearly hurt someone's feelings, and he can understand that if the situation was flipped to be about someone telling you that he wasn't cute.) But trying to explain why "Jesus!" is rude is so much more nebulous, since there isn't a real concrete context he can get--it's just another seemingly arbitrary adult rule.

Also, I don't know what you are assuming about daycare, but the language was just as likely (if not more) to as come from the other kids as the teachers. It would be worth a mention next time you have a meeting or whatever with his teachers that he's picked up some rude language, just so they're aware and can keep a sharper ear on the toddler chatter.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
He doesn't get it. He's not really capable of getting it. Hitting is comparatively easy--it's concrete, he can see the [bad] results, and he knows it hurts to be hit. Words are so esoteric. My kids both picked up bad words [yes, from me--gently caress and 'god-dannut' specifically] and they do not sound like sailors now. First of all, I would try not acknowledging it, and since it's not in your home lexicon, they may just fade on their own. Next, if it persists, you can just off-handedly say something like, "Oh, "hate" is such a mean word; it hurts our feelings. You can say you 'don't like' something instead." Or encourage him to replace the offending word with something nonsensical and silly instead--a goofy word may have more appeal anyway. Fiddlesticks! Biscuit-buttons! But don't try to make a big deal of it--it will backfire. I wouldn't try to make him feel 'bad' since it's just not something he's developmentally capable of with regards to the power of words. You would have better luck explaining why telling someone their kid isn't cute isn't appropriate (it can clearly hurt someone's feelings, and he can understand that if the situation was flipped to be about someone telling you that he wasn't cute.) But trying to explain why "Jesus!" is rude is so much more nebulous, since there isn't a real concrete context he can get--it's just another seemingly arbitrary adult rule.

Also, I don't know what you are assuming about daycare, but the language was just as likely (if not more) to as come from the other kids as the teachers. It would be worth a mention next time you have a meeting or whatever with his teachers that he's picked up some rude language, just so they're aware and can keep a sharper ear on the toddler chatter.

My toddler has picked up some pretty bad words from me too, mainly I think from being in the car when I was learning to drive. We tried redirectioning so when he said something that sounded suspiciously like 'loving hell' we said 'flipping heck!' and kept repeating that. He tells us he hates us all the time though :( I don't know if it's having lots of older brothers, having a younger sibling at an age where he still needs a lot of attention or any of the other differences but he is so much more rambunctious and rude than the others were and every 'I hate you mummy, sooo much' feels like a reminder that with the baby I can't spend as much time devoted to him as I wish I could.

Also he has picked up the insult 'stupid meatbag' and calls everyone that. I have no idea where from but I suspect his big brother.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Aww, he doesn't really hate you. I'm sure you know not to take it personally (but that sucks to hear, I know.) "Stupid meatbag" is a hilarious insult, however.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My toddler has picked up some pretty bad words from me too, mainly I think from being in the car when I was learning to drive. We tried redirectioning so when he said something that sounded suspiciously like 'loving hell' we said 'flipping heck!' and kept repeating that. He tells us he hates us all the time though :( I don't know if it's having lots of older brothers, having a younger sibling at an age where he still needs a lot of attention or any of the other differences but he is so much more rambunctious and rude than the others were and every 'I hate you mummy, sooo much' feels like a reminder that with the baby I can't spend as much time devoted to him as I wish I could.

Also he has picked up the insult 'stupid meatbag' and calls everyone that. I have no idea where from but I suspect his big brother.

Assassin droid from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\

I'm definitely not thinking it's one of the teachers. Beckett tells us he hears these words from everyone from his aunt (who he has seen in person once in the last year) to his friends, to nonsensical people like "boomph" or "paw-pee."

I'm guessing it's other kids, for sure.

Thanks for the tip to not give him the thrill of getting a rise out of us.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Aww, he doesn't really hate you. I'm sure you know not to take it personally (but that sucks to hear, I know.) "Stupid meatbag" is a hilarious insult, however.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Thanks :)Rationally I know he doesn't but lack of sleep and feelings of guilt make me wonder sometimes.

Molybdenum posted:

Assassin droid from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA

Proof that video games will corrupt youth.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope santa was good to you all

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Just this once, everybody lives!
Any advice on how to deal with violent babies?

My nephew (KJ) is 2 months older than my 5 month old (Godric), but he's ridiculously violent and has scratched and attacked 2 other babies already, and regularly goes after his 5 year old sister. It'd be great to get pictures of them together and introduce them, but I'm leery of my baby getting injured. The one time we placed them semi-near each other, KJ reached for Godric and KJ's dad yoinked him away before anything happened.

Godric sees other babies at my breastfeeding support group, so I'm sure he's good to go with nonviolent babies, but well... How in the world do I let him play with his cousin?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
How violent can a 7 month old really be? At that age, they're not trying to hurt someone on purpose. I'm sure you can manage to prevent him from damaging your baby.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Put mittens on the cousin.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

How violent can a 7 month old really be? At that age, they're not trying to hurt someone on purpose. I'm sure you can manage to prevent him from damaging your baby.

Yeah, "violent" isn't really a characteristic I would attribute to a 7 month old...maybe more "has exceedingly poor motor skills". Babies pull hair, they accidentally scratch each other, they bonk heads together, when they start walking they will stomp on each other's feet and hands all the time - sometimes this results in tears, occasionally there's a bit of a mark for a few days, but there's not going to be permanent damage. If it bothers you, keep them a few feet apart - they're not exactly capable of cooperative play at that age anyway.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Emily scratched the poo poo out of her cousin's face the first time they got to hang out, she didn't do it to be 'violent' she did it because she has nails and hey, what's this do? Give them each a noisy toy and let them hang out and take pictures, if one starts to 4-wheel over the other one, pull him off.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

re: sippy cup chat -

It really doesn't matter which kind you get because they will all eventually turn in to leaking pieces of garbage. Especially if you use your dishwasher to clean them - and there are various factors at play to how long they will hold up albeit hard water or the type of detergent you use. I recommend trying a variety that say they're spill/leak proof and go from there. Try Marshalls/TJ Maxx for discounted ones.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004

Ben Davis posted:

I don't know. His parents say he's violent and keep telling me how he goes after other babies. They're questionable parents and he sees a lot of spanking and gets swatted for things already so I'm honestly not shocked when they claim he's violent.

Hdip posted:

Put mittens on the cousin.

This seems like a good solution. I can't imagine he'd hit hard enough to do more damage than shock, so I'll definitely try mittens.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
My kids more 'rough' as I call it. He pulls hair, scratches, tries to bite and give kisses. It's not malicious in any way, it's their way of learning about the outside world. When he does it, or I see him start to, I tell him 'no, we don't do x.' While gently redirecting him (and apologizing to the parents, who're usually really nice about it.) If your cousin doesn't do that, just keep an eye on them. My little one doesn't have siblings though, so it's only in play groups or at the mall he does it.

On another subject: dudes cruisin! If he has his walker, he walks super fast, but if he's doing it solo, he'll take small wobbly steps.

Also, sippy cups wise, we just got some of these (http://www.munchkin.com/click-lock-straw-cup) and he's doing super good with them.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I've given Rory sippy cups but right now he thinks the goal is to get a big mouthful of milk or water and then just dribble it all out and laugh. Welp.

In other news: He started crawling today! He's been kind of lifting himself off and sort of snake dancing his way around, but now he's doing one arm in front of the other :3:

https://vine.co/v/h9H9th37hl6?fb_ac...288381481237582

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Oh my god, they HIT an infant? What assholes.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our 19-month-old daughter is what I would characterize as "aggressive" instead of "violent". She doesn't quite get the concept of personal space, especially with kids who are smaller than she is. We've had to break accidental choke holds a couple of times, and the church nursery workers have asked us to bring a stuffed animal for her to snuggle, so she doesn't constantly do it to the other kids.

I find it really hard to considering characterizing a 7-month-old as "violent", as a result. If there is real violence there, that's probably an indication of something else going on in the home :shrug:.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Chouzan posted:

I don't know. His parents say he's violent and keep telling me how he goes after other babies. They're questionable parents and he sees a lot of spanking and gets swatted for things already so I'm honestly not shocked when they claim he's violent.

This seems like a good solution. I can't imagine he'd hit hard enough to do more damage than shock, so I'll definitely try mittens.

You should be reporting them to the authorities instead of putting mittens on their infant.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Chouzan posted:

D: That's horrifying. This is how big a 7-month-old is, and that's what they're hitting.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

Oh my god, they HIT an infant? What assholes.

I want to clarify exactly what I've seen just because my reaction was more "wtf is he doing" than utter horror, so I might need a reality check.

I have seen the father, and only the father (my sister doesn't believe in spanking) swat my nephew. It's hard to describe a physical thing in text, but the baby didn't respond or cry as it wasn't hard enough to hurt. I describe it as swatting because it was a hand slap that could probably be seen as rough but OK if it were in play (I've seen their baby hit things harder, to be honest), but was used to stop the baby from trying to grab things.

I hope that's a bit clearer. If there's another word I should have used, please correct me. I didn't think it was serious enough to warrant a confrontation, but I'm fairly sure the authorities here (Idaho) only get involved if there's marks and he isn't swatting hard enough for that so I don't know what I could do really.

EDIT: I should also clarify, the spanking he sees is his 5 year old half sister.

Whovian Bookworm fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 28, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Isn't grabbing things and hitting stuff just what babies do with their hands? My kids have all happily pulled hair, poked eyes etc when they were little babies and I always put it down to them working out how their hands work and generally being excited to touch stuff rather than violent tendencies.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Babies grab things. Your family is a pack of assholes.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Dandy Shrew posted:

I've given Rory sippy cups but right now he thinks the goal is to get a big mouthful of milk or water and then just dribble it all out and laugh. Welp.

In other news: He started crawling today! He's been kind of lifting himself off and sort of snake dancing his way around, but now he's doing one arm in front of the other :3:

https://vine.co/v/h9H9th37hl6?fb_ac...288381481237582

Aww...little guy really wanted that toy! We have hard wood floors everywhere but the bedrooms and they're kind of slippery and not really conducive to crawling. We have a big area rug in the living room, but Aaron doesn't want to be confined to that (he's not crawling yet but rolling and sliding himself along the floor. He's getting up on his knees and rocking back and forth though). I'm not sure what to do to help him out on the wood floor. It's too cold to go without pants.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Physical punishment has really bad long term repercussions.

• It affects children's sense of self worth.
  • Makes them prone to aggression towards friends, family, strangers, and future spouse.
  • Causes the relationship between parent and child to more distant, due to resentment, consciously or subconsciously.

Telling a child "I don't like that" or some variation on that, usually works. Sure at one year old or less they might not understand the words, but they do understand tone of voice so we concentrate on the tone of voice. Not an aggressive tone, and not raised, but stern. As they get older expand on this and teach them about empathy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah my son likes to pull my beard. It hurts, so I say "Ouch, that hurts" sharply and pull his hand away, and then he stops doing it because he can pick up the tone of voice. I can't imagine swatting a kid for that.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

An Cat Dubh posted:

Aww...little guy really wanted that toy! We have hard wood floors everywhere but the bedrooms and they're kind of slippery and not really conducive to crawling. We have a big area rug in the living room, but Aaron doesn't want to be confined to that (he's not crawling yet but rolling and sliding himself along the floor. He's getting up on his knees and rocking back and forth though). I'm not sure what to do to help him out on the wood floor. It's too cold to go without pants.

Yeah, the wood floors were a bit of a problem, but he's figuring it out. He was using them to his advantage by dragging himself along for a while, and then getting on his knees and rocking.. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Babies are nothing if not innovative.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Speaking of teaching babies "no", it's not working well for me. Vivian is only 13 months old so I'm not worried or expecting her to truly understand. But when she goes after an electric outlet, for example, I'll try to firmly say NO. She then laughs at me. Every time. It's adorable but clearly I'm not getting through to her. Like I said I'm not worried, I guess she's just too young?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

She's too young. At that age, and for a good while longer, you just have to put things you don't want her to touch out of reach or protect them with safety devices. When my son got mobile and grabby, I turned my living room into a prison cell basically. All the knickknacks and photo frames went away or up high, and every outlet in the house that wasn't in use got one of those outlet covers. The outlets in use got furniture moved in front of them so he couldn't fiddle with the plugs. It was super nice to have a place where we could hang out all day and I didn't feel the need to police his behavior for safety and destruction issues constantly. Even if she understands no at some point, impulse control is absent for a long time in small children.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I figured as much. I just wondered if I lack authority or something. Our house is generally baby safe but when we visit family there are a million things for her to get into. No biggie. We usually pull a switcheroo and try to distract her with something else (safe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My 14 month old spends a lot of time at grandma's house. When he's getting into stuff she likes to use the phrase "do not touch" and then he looks at her and generally walks away. The other day he walked over to her bowl of plastic fruit and she told him as usual "do not touch". He looked at her and then turned around and as fast as he could touched every piece of fruit. :)