Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Silence of the Lambs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Seriously, this time: Let The Right One In and My Life in Pink.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ninja Gamer posted:

Let The Right One In

I'd recommend this movie to anyone, but that had never occurred to me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ed Wood, and his movie Glen or Glenda. (Don't watch Glen or Glenda).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Narciss posted:

Could anyone recommend some movies besides "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Juwanna Mann" that explore Trans* issues?

Zatoichi (2003)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
C'mon guys: Boys Don't Cry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Soldier's Girl.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Narciss posted:

Could anyone recommend some movies besides "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Juwanna Mann" that explore Trans* issues?

The Crying Game, which is also a better film than might be imagined for something I mainly knew as famous for the twist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Crying Game is a legitimately great movie.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Kinky Boots is pretty good.
The best trans film I can recall is Breakfast on Pluto

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Would To Wong Foo fall in this category?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Great movie. There's a scene in which Calpurnia explains why she doesn't want to visit her mother until she's finished transitioning, and she says something like, "I want to wait until I'm fully myself." It was an eye-opening moment for me, that being trans doesn't mean you want to become someone else, but that you want your outside to match who you already are inside.

It was Lee Pace's first movie role, playing Calpurnia Adams, and he was fantastic.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Kinky Boots is pretty good.
The best trans film I can recall is Breakfast on Pluto

I cannot believe I said The Crying Game and not the other London/IRA/transsexual comedy-drama from Neil Jordan. They are both great. Also Breakfast On Pluto has an amazing Bryan Ferry cameo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rabbit Hill posted:

Great movie. There's a scene in which Calpurnia explains why she doesn't want to visit her mother until she's finished transitioning, and she says something like, "I want to wait until I'm fully myself." It was an eye-opening moment for me, that being trans doesn't mean you want to become someone else, but that you want your outside to match who you already are inside.

It was Lee Pace's first movie role, playing Calpurnia Adams, and he was fantastic.

Yeah, it was shockingly good for a Showtime original movie, so much so that I bought it on DVD. What I liked so much about it is that they don't spare the angst yet don't forget it's a love story. It would've been very easy to make it very dour and downbeat, given the climax of the film. Instead, it gives the relationship something beyond tortured, guilty misery.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: wrong thread

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 24, 2013

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Hedwig and the Angry Inch, y'all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sleepaway Camp.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did anyone say Zerophilia yet?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Sorority Boys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And Big.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bamhand posted:

Ed Wood, and his movie Glen or Glenda. (Don't watch Glen or Glenda).
Watch Glen or Glenda (1953). People just love to poo poo on Ed Wood, but he's a legitimately interesting director, and his films are animated by a loopy energy that's way more engaging that the dreary utility dramas that most people are mentioning. And Ed Wood was out there making Glen or Glenda decades before it was a Hollywood Issue Film issue. Don't be hating on Ed Wood, he's a ballsy loving film director.

Nobody's mentioned John Waters yet. And while Pink Flamingos (1972), Female Trouble (1974), Multiple Maniacs (1970) and so on aren't Big Issue films, I think they're better films `about' gender identity than most films that are `really' `about' gender identity, if that makes sense. As in the diegesis is completely willing to accept Divine as a housewife or whatever with a completely straight face...like it never even occurred to the diegesis that Divine might `actually' be an overweight guy. And again, this is all in films that are way the gently caress more ballsy and out there than anything involving Big Name actors mugging for Oscar nominations.

The other film I'd mention is Matsumoto's Funeral Procession of Roses (1969), one of the fencepost films of the Japanese New Wave. Like most of the films made by ATG, it's almost impossible to locate a `legitimate' copy of the film (at least in North America). It's generally believed that Matsumoto was an influence on Kubrick in making A Clockwork Orange (1971), particularly the use of undercranking in the sex scenes (which sounds like a dirty joke but isn't one).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SubG posted:

The other film I'd mention is Matsumoto's Funeral Procession of Roses (1969)

BEST MOVIE.

stevebuscemifan
Dec 24, 2013

Not bad.
Should I see Wolf of Wall Street with my mom tomorrow? I hear there is a scene where Leo sticks a candle up his rear end.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

stevebuscemifan posted:

Should I see Wolf of Wall Street with my mom tomorrow? I hear there is a scene where Leo sticks a candle up his rear end.

AV Club gave it an A- so I'd say yes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

stevebuscemifan posted:

She's your mom. Would she not be into that?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

Watch Glen or Glenda (1953). People just love to poo poo on Ed Wood, but he's a legitimately interesting director, and his films are animated by a loopy energy that's way more engaging that the dreary utility dramas that most people are mentioning. And Ed Wood was out there making Glen or Glenda decades before it was a Hollywood Issue Film issue. Don't be hating on Ed Wood, he's a ballsy loving film director.

In my opinion, Glen or Glenda is by far his best movie. And while we're talking about trans* issues and Ed Wood and John Waters, I think The Goddess Bunny is a great documentary and I'm not joking about that.

stevebuscemifan
Dec 24, 2013

Not bad.

FishBulb posted:

She's your mom. Would she not be into that?
Maybe, maybe not. My family sees a movie together only about once a year and I like to make it a memorable experience, and this should definitely be one whether or not the content is too racy. We saw Django last year and everyone liked it, so I'm not too worried about it, but still.

Also, it's the only film that comes out on Christmas worth seeing this year. 47 Ronin, Walter Mitty, and Grudge Match all look like poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In my opinion, Glen or Glenda is by far his best movie. And while we're talking about trans* issues and Ed Wood and John Waters, I think The Goddess Bunny is a great documentary and I'm not joking about that.

Glen or Glenda suffers a little from its pace and especially the extra footage added to get it to seven reels. But it is worth a watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It is a movie by Edward D. Wood, Jr. after all. If there's one guy you have to mentally prepare yourself to watch it's him.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Do I need to watch Firefly to understand or enjoy Serenity?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

Not really. If you like Serenity I'd certainly recommend the show, but you should be able to pick up the character beats without any foreknowledge.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Tootsie, guys. Also, Wolf of Wall Street is a great movie that's pretty bloated at three hours.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yaws posted:

Understand, no, but you're not terribly likely to enjoy it if you weren't invested in the show. The film has minimal characterization and relies almost entirely on goodwill from the show to make up for that.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Does anyone know when The Visitor will be on VOD from Drafthouse?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

DeimosRising posted:

Understand, no, but you're not terribly likely to enjoy it if you weren't invested in the show. The film has minimal characterization and relies almost entirely on goodwill from the show to make up for that.

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment; I had no idea the show even existed when I saw Serenity for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They set up the personalities of each of the major characters quite well within the first half hour and getting to figure out the subtleties of their universe without heavy-handed exposition really made for a pleasant viewing experience.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Going back to the transgendered movie question, there was a French-Canadian film last year called Laurence Anyways that would fit the bill. It's good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If intersex/gender identity issues fall under this purview there's also the Argentine film XXY (2007).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you were also accepting transvestite movies, there is "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Flawless" (1999).

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Could I get some opinions on Solaris? The Tarkovsky one, not the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Could I get some opinions on Solaris? The Tarkovsky one, not the remake.

Greatest science fiction film ever made. Challenging to watch, at least at first, but once you make it through the traffic montage the rest is easy.