Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Action Launcher is great. I cleared out the quick drawer on the right and filled it with the Google Play music controls and it is the perfect "on the fly" media control. I wish Google Rewards would give me one more quarter this year so I could buy the Pro version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Sair posted:

I dunno what's with you guys, I don't have any problems with it. I'm probably faster on a phone screen with Minuum than Swype.

Yeah this is actually really neat. Do you use the space bar or just the gesture? I can definitely see getting used to this especially in landscape mode.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Any suggestions for a replacement app then? One that will actually, ya know, send MMS messages? I'd like to avoid spending money since I like hangouts otherwise and will use it after it is fixed, but I can swing a couple bucks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good TV guide app? I was using the actual TV Guide app until I noticed it never closed after I hit the Back button and it kept it awake for 10 hours doing nothing. Needless to say, I'm looking for a replacement.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know of a good TV guide app? I was using the actual TV Guide app until I noticed it never closed after I hit the Back button and it kept it awake for 10 hours doing nothing. Needless to say, I'm looking for a replacement.

if you are rooted you can use greenify to hibernate it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Action Launcher is great. I cleared out the quick drawer on the right and filled it with the Google Play music controls and it is the perfect "on the fly" media control. I wish Google Rewards would give me one more quarter this year so I could buy the Pro version.

Good idea. Don't pay the developer for an app you really like because of that 25 cents.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

if you are rooted you can use greenify to hibernate it.

I'd rather not root just to hibernate one app. I'm just looking for a replacement, I wasn't much a fan of the TV guide app anyway.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IuniusBrutus posted:

Any suggestions for a replacement app then? One that will actually, ya know, send MMS messages? I'd like to avoid spending money since I like hangouts otherwise and will use it after it is fixed, but I can swing a couple bucks.

8sms is my app of choice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just FYI, Timely Premium IAP is only a dollar today.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah this is actually really neat. Do you use the space bar or just the gesture? I can definitely see getting used to this especially in landscape mode.

Use the gesture, it works just fine.

koekje4life
Aug 11, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Good idea. Don't pay the developer for an app you really like because of that 25 cents.

Or maybe he has a prepaid creditcard and it'll take effort to actually get 25 cents on it. That's my case anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

koekje4life posted:

Or maybe he has a prepaid creditcard and it'll take effort to actually get 25 cents on it. That's my case anyway.

Well at least it didn't take the developer any effort to make the app.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used TV Show Favs which does the job, I've seen other goons recommend a web based solution (possibly getglue?), and Twee looks like it might be a better option than TV Show Favs but I haven't used personally.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

THF13 posted:

I've used TV Show Favs which does the job, I've seen other goons recommend a web based solution (possibly getglue?), and Twee looks like it might be a better option than TV Show Favs but I haven't used personally.

Another vote for TV Show Favs (though I wish it was Faves). I've tried a few other apps that do the same thing but keep coming back to Favs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

THF13 posted:

ilysespieces posted:

Another vote for TV Show Favs (though I wish it was Faves). I've tried a few other apps that do the same thing but keep coming back to Favs.

Thanks guys! I'll give this a try.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently battery text % is in Kit Kat but hidden by default, but this app can enable it, even on a stock unrooted device. Working great on my MAXX, but it only does white, so on phones with white battery bars it only really works at lower battery levels.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 27, 2013

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there an app this forum can recommend for audio books? Im looking for something that will save my place in a playlist over restarts etc. Going to use it for the song of ice n fire series, and the chapters arent numbered, theyre character names instead, and repeat often.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

8sms is my app of choice.

This should be qualified with the statment that 8sms is the old stock 4.3 SMS app, which works fantastically and is compatible with everything. You'd be dim witted to not try this first before going with more exotic replacements.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TVShowFavs looks neat and I'll probably use it, but I'm more looking for a TV listings app, I guess. Any suggestions for those?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there any consensus on which Playstation emulator is the best?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Apparently battery text % is in Kit Kat but hidden by default, but this app can enable it, even on a stock unrooted device. Working great on my MAXX, but it only does white, so on phones with white battery bars it only really works at lower battery levels.

:psyduck: why does Google do poo poo like this? Put something in, and hide it from users?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

:psyduck: why does Google do poo poo like this? Put something in, and hide it from users?

Probably because its half baked/not yet finished

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Consider the cart of ART which is hidden under the Developer options and Google have said repeatedly that it is designed for platform development/testing, yet people were posting in this thread with things like "I can't believe it doesn't work perfectly, why did Google release this?".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Are people really saying that Google would never release a half-assed product or is my eggnog expired?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Are people really saying that Google would never release a half-assed product or is my eggnog expired?

No, we're saying that they don't release ALL their half-assed products

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Is it just me or does Hangouts always show anyone else as always available? I like having it on my phone and use it for SMS, but for some reason it always is showing me as available and so colleagues think it's totally okay to contact me at night.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

booshi posted:

Is it just me or does Hangouts always show anyone else as always available? I like having it on my phone and use it for SMS, but for some reason it always is showing me as available and so colleagues think it's totally okay to contact me at night.
On the phone Hangouts will always show you as available if you're connected to Google's servers, Hangouts open/active or not. It's particularly annoying because on the web-based Hangouts availability works the way you'd expect.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

LastInLine posted:

On the phone Hangouts will always show you as available if you're connected to Google's servers, Hangouts open/active or not. It's particularly annoying because on the web-based Hangouts availability works the way you'd expect.

Is there a simple way to toggle being connected, perhaps with Tasker or anything else like that?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is there any point getting the paid version of Lux for a Galaxy Note 3? To my understanding AMOLED screens don't have backlights and most of the options I see mentioned seem to deal with backlight management.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

fuckpot posted:

Is there any point getting the paid version of Lux for a Galaxy Note 3? To my understanding AMOLED screens don't have backlights and most of the options I see mentioned seem to deal with backlight management.

The nighttime screen filter is pretty sweet, if you like to play with your phone or tablet in bed at night.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

booshi posted:

Is there a simple way to toggle being connected, perhaps with Tasker or anything else like that?
Not if you want your phone to work for anything. The service that keeps Hangouts connected makes everything sync. If you were to disable it you'd be essentially disabling everything but phone and SMS.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The nighttime screen filter is pretty sweet, if you like to play with your phone or tablet in bed at night.

Not really too keen on that. Was mainly keen on the powersaving capabilities.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Is there any reason that random icons would be removing themselves automatically from my Action Launcher homepage?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Sorry for all these posts but I've just received my first Android phone after years of wandering the iOS wilderness so it's all quite new to me.

I am trying out that n7 Music Player and opened it for the first time. It has been stuck on 'waiting for scanner' for a while now. It is parsing 18gb of music so I guess it should take awhile - I was wondering if someone could roughly ballpark how long it should take before it seems like a problem on a Galaxy Note 3. Probably been doing it for about 20 minutes now. On a side note, I hate things that don't have progress bars or at least some sort of moving thing to indicate that something is happening.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fuckpot posted:

While AMOLED screens don't have backlights, I would think that Lux can still lower the overall brightness of your screen. The free version should be enough to tell you whether that works or not.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fuf posted:

oh hey, didn't know you could upload your own files to google play books. Time to surrender another aspect of my life to google's control. :)

Thanks for the responses.

Just wanted to chime in. I use Play Books, and while it is nifty, as far as I've been able to tell there is no way to actually organize your books.
I have a lot of books and some comics on it and my only options are Sort by Author, Title, or Recently Read. All those do is change the order they're displayed in in the single giant grid that is my entire library.
This is pretty frustrating since it means there's no way to quickly access my comics, or all the books in a specific series, or to make a collection of books for a trip, etc. Coming from having my digital books be on a Kindle/Kindle App for Android, this was a pretty big shock to me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Woodsy Owl posted:

Is there any reason that random icons would be removing themselves automatically from my Action Launcher homepage?

That could happen if you were unintentionally using the Recent Apps widget that Action comes set up with already taking up most (all?) of the Quickpage.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Illuminado posted:

I've been using Transmission and then just accessing it via the webapp.

Wrong thread I know but can someone point me in the right direction to actually use torrents on a Galaxy 4? Everyone one ive used *(kickass, utorrent, ttorrent) I download and either it doesnt actually download or doesnt play

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is the go to irc client these days?

I'm really digging action launcher but I'm not sure what I'm missing that pro would provide me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the go to irc client these days?

I'm really digging action launcher but I'm not sure what I'm missing that pro would provide me.

I have no idea either, but I loved it so much that I wanted to donate a couple bucks

• Locked thread