Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Collector's lair reminded me a lot of the stuff on Giedi Prime in David Lynch's Dune. Even Del Toro's mannerisms reminded me of Piter's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
That Collector scene looked like an episode of Doctor Who and I hope the final film looks better than what we saw at the end of Thor 2.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Starsnostars posted:

That Collector scene looked like an episode of Doctor Who and I hope the final film looks better than what we saw at the end of Thor 2.

I don't. I hope it is like a really big, really long episode of Doctor Who but with a raccoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jonny Nox posted:

Maybe not though? This is the post-Gollum world after all.

I guess as far as trees walkin' and talkin' goes you're right. Though obviously LOTR is 100% Fantasy World and one of the most popular of all time. It'll be interesting to see the reaction to Groot in a genre that heretofore has tried to keep things from getting too silly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

I don't. I hope it is like a really big, really long episode of Doctor Who but with a raccoon.

Star Lord takes his helmet off to reveal he was really Peter Capaldi the whole time! :aaa:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Vin Diesel practices on stilts for Groot on Fast and Furious set, Kurt Russell shows up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWN2OLstNmA#t=75

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Empire Magazine gives us the first look at the Winter Soldier, as well as the new uniforms for Cap and Black Widow:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Empire Magazine gives us the first look at the Winter Soldier, as well as the new uniforms for Cap and Black Widow:

I'm surprised we're getting an unmasked Winter Soldier picture this early since spoilers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I'm surprised we're getting an unmasked Winter Soldier picture this early since spoilers.

He doesn't really look enough like Bucky that I think most people would notice or care. I know who he is, and I barely remember what even happened to Bucky in the first film.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Bucky was in maybe 5 minutes of the first movie anyways, so 95% of the audience probably won't recognize him (which makes it a weird storyline to go with in the first place, I guess)

it'll be like watching Empire Strikes Back and finding out Luke's dad was Biggs Darklighter.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 28, 2013

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The extended trailer showed his face at the end. I think with IMDB around and Sebastian Stan coming back it would be pretty hard to hide that from the casual audience, especially since they could just wiki it and see it from the comics. Not much point in trying to be coy, so might as well promote it and get people to watch the movie to see how it happened and where the story will go.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PupsOfWar posted:

Bucky was in maybe 5 minutes of the first movie anyways, so 95% of the audience probably won't recognize him (which makes it a weird storyline to go with in the first place, I guess)

it'll be like watching Empire Strikes Back and finding out Luke's dad was Biggs Darklighter.

Yeah, as someone who never followed Cap in the comics, I had no idea about the relationship with Bucky. I definitely didn't recognize him in the trailer reveal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It doesn't really even need to be a surprise to the audience, just Cap. He could be revealed in the first 10 minutes and it shouldn't effect too much. In the comics doesn't Cap figure it out pretty much immediately?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Surprised they did the infamous heroine butt shot after the criticism they got for the avengers tie in comic cover.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
They will always go for the t&a shot. Always.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Should have been Hawkeye in Black Widow's place, with the exact same pose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PupsOfWar posted:

What a twist!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bucky looks a million times better minus the mask though Cap looks like he is wearing a terrible kid's Halloween costume and the less said about Widow the better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

Cap looks like he is wearing a terrible kid's Halloween costume

It really does look like one of those cheap costumes with a built-in muscle suit

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lose the mask for Cap and make his costume less puffy, drat son.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the mask is fine.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

A while ago Denzel Washington was rumored as a contender for Lex Luthor in Batman Vs. Superman. The website Nuke The Fridge is saying that the role he was actually up for wasn't Luthor, but Green Lantern John Stewart.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/12/27/exclusive-denzel-lex-hes-playing-green-lantern-superman-vs-batman/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want to go to there....especially if he gets to ham it up. A big green middle finger gently caress you, then spits and does his laugh.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'd be surprised if they're casting that old for the role, he's almost 60. Him as Luthor though could be great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dacap posted:

I'd be surprised if they're casting that old for the role, he's almost 60. Him as Luthor though could be great.

If he's old for the role, oh jeez, he gonna die isn't he...

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

Yeah it looked really weird. Like it hadn't been through post processing or anything.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dacap posted:

A while ago Denzel Washington was rumored as a contender for Lex Luthor in Batman Vs. Superman. The website Nuke The Fridge is saying that the role he was actually up for wasn't Luthor, but Green Lantern John Stewart.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/12/27/exclusive-denzel-lex-hes-playing-green-lantern-superman-vs-batman/

I dunno about that

He'd make the best possible Black Lightning, though. Particularly if they wanted the crusty "Hush up, [younger black hero]! You don't understand what I had to go through so that you could have these opportunities!" Black Lightning from pre-reboot days.

Him as Stewart does make sense in a manner consistent with Warner/DC's methodology of throwing money and big names at their problems and hoping that they get fixed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PupsOfWar posted:

I dunno about that

He'd make the best possible Black Lightning, though. Particularly if they wanted the crusty "Hush up, [younger black hero]! You don't understand what I had to go through so that you could have these opportunities!" Black Lightning from pre-reboot days.

Him as Stewart does make sense in a manner consistent with Warner/DC's methodology of throwing money and big names at their problems and hoping that they get fixed.
Nah Black Lightning should be played by Phil Lamar because he has pure electricity in his pants :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

That loving helmet.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

greatn posted:

Surprised they did the infamous heroine butt shot after the criticism they got for the avengers tie in comic cover.

Why? The criticism only really gained traction in an ignored portion of an ignored portion of the movie's potential fanbase. Comic fans mean bunk to them and the sliver of feminist comic fans mean even less.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That one in particular isn't bad, either. She's just mirroring Bucky and Cap's arm is covering her up

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Opopanax posted:

That one in particular isn't bad, either. She's just mirroring Bucky and Cap's arm is covering her up
To be fair, if she were perfectly mirroring Bucky then we'd see some of his rear end too. Her side is facing the camera, whereas he is mostly facing front like Cap.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 28, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, I think it's more laziness than maliciousness. It's a cliche and boring shot for a woman to be in. I don't think anyone was wringing their hands and saying, "Black Widow's rear end will make us a million dollars!" It's just thoughtless sexism, going forward with what they know.

It's crazy to say she's mirroring Bucky though. Imagine if she wasn't turning her head and was just holding her arm at her side.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
You can kinda see the curve of her butt. Meanwhile, Captain America is posed with his pecs thrust out, biceps a-quiver, and his hands leading your eyeline directly to his crotch, and Bucky is over there literally holding a gun in front of his dick. We need to get the Tumblr Social Justice Brigade on this right away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

You can kinda see the curve of her butt. Meanwhile, Captain America is posed with his pecs thrust out, biceps a-quiver, and his hands leading your eyeline directly to his crotch, and Bucky is over there literally holding a gun in front of his dick. We need to get the Tumblr Social Justice Brigade on this right away.

Please, tell me more about how men are just as objectified as women in media. :allears:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Where's my Robert Redford rear end shot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hi liter posted:

Where's my Robert Redford rear end shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have no idea what point you're actually arguing for.

Either way, the problem isn't male or female gaze. We can look at people's asses and people can show their asses. The problem is when a superheroine, someone who should be an inspirational figure or at least a badass is reduced to a sexual object because sexual objectification is the default for representations of women. It's also a loving stupid pose. Like try to make it. It's pretty awkward stance since you're turning your head 90 degrees which throwing one shoulder back. There's no reason she can't be in the same exact position as Bucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any pose they put her in will be argued as sexual objectification.

Dat leather outfit.

• Locked thread