Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on shopping and flooding - Online shopping and foul weather kept British consumers indoors at a time when high streets are usually overflowing"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Sir James Thornhill. (Or is it this one?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

All I can see for Salmond is him doing the Single Ladies dance. And Ed Milliband's Christmas jumper is a topper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

onoflalks posted:

All I can see for Salmond is him doing the Single Ladies dance. And Ed Milliband's Christmas jumper is a topper.

I love Farage with his ciggie and his pint, dreaming of having more ciggies and a bigger pint. It's a perfect expression of how he has no real ambition, he just wants more.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jedit posted:

I love Farage with his ciggie and his pint, dreaming of having more ciggies and a bigger pint. It's a perfect expression of how he has no real ambition, he just wants more.

I have to admit that panel actually made me laugh

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Apologies for lateness, computer problems.

Stephen Collins:

Yesterday's Observer

A link to someone's transcription in the CiF comments

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the expected rise in interest rates - The increasing cost of energy, food and travel means that a rise in interest rates could spell trouble for millions"

Telegraph:

Nigel Farage calls for Syrian refugees to be allowed into UK

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on plans to charge tourists and migrants for NHS emergency services – Government aims to cut what is calls[sic] health tourism and make people from overseas pay"

Telegraph:

Volgograd blasts: IOC 'confident' Games will be safe

Yesterday's Independent:

Independent:

Mail:
"David Beckham is not in the New Year’s honours list."

quote:

“I’m disappointed that David Beckham’s not on the list. I was hoping to show him my new tattoo.”

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 31, 2013

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Don't go to Russia! They've got TERRORISM! and CORRUPTION! and... DEMOCRACY! CIVIL LIBERTIES! And worst of all... an ECONOMY!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Don't go to Russia! They've got TERRORISM! and CORRUPTION! and... DEMOCRACY! CIVIL LIBERTIES! And worst of all... an ECONOMY!
Putin is trying to cover up Russia's awful political cartoon labels. They're everywhere.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"David Beckham is not in the New Year’s honours list."

heh.

My father took me to England to visit relatives for my first time in 1980. It happened to coincide with the Queen Mother's 80th birthday, and my father cut out a photo from one of the newspapers that came out the next day of a skinhead that jumped out of the crowd to show the Queen Mum his Union Jack tattoo that he just got to commemorate her birthday. She was standing there touching it with this "oh how nice" look on her face.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:toot: Happy New Year, everyone! :morning:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron's new year resolutions - Prime minister's list getting longer every year"

Telegraph:

Independent:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Trust loving Adams to try to import that cringeworthy Baby New Year poo poo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

John Charity Spring posted:

Trust loving Adams to try to import that cringeworthy Baby New Year poo poo.

Not a fan of the Saturday Evening Post, then? Besides, it's not the first time.

Guardian:

"Phil Disley on Nigel Farage and the Roma community – Cross-party group calls for calm dialogue after Tory council leader blames Roma in London for disruption and crime"

Telegraph:

Final countdown for Sherlock's return

Independent:

N Korean leader Kim Jong-un hails execution of uncle

Also I imagine the thread would appreciate Steve Bell's five favourite cartoons of 2013.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the government's sentencing proposals - Prime minister David Cameron has given his backing to plans to allow murderers and others convicted of serious offences to be jailed for 100 years"

Telegraph:

Rail fare rise of 2.8% comes into effect

Independent:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the UK storms - Environment agencies warn of threat to life in flood areas as high winds batter south-west and Wales and head for Scotland"

Telegraph:

David Cameron's EU referendum bill 'unlikely' to become law

Independent:

After Millais.

Stephen Collins:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stephen Collins, perpetuator of racist "slit-eyed" Asian stereotypes, creator of the poorest, least relevant caricature of Kim Jong-Un to date.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Loving this Rowson, hating the government. D:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SedanChair posted:

Stephen Collins, perpetuator of racist "slit-eyed" Asian stereotypes, creator of the poorest, least relevant caricature of Kim Jong-Un to date.

Pretty sure this is the first time I've seen it from him but yes, that's pretty lazy at best.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Judging by their position on his head those are meant to be his eyebrows.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Puntification posted:

Judging by their position on his head those are meant to be his eyebrows.

They really aren't.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

They really aren't.

Look at the panel with the list where his head is at the different angle, there's no way that line is meant to be an eye.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Puntification posted:

Look at the panel with the list where his head is at the different angle, there's no way that line is meant to be an eye.
Collins is not very consistent when it comes to drawing eyes, but the slit/line is something he has used in the past, for non-Asian characters (cf. Indie guitarist, dentist dog). On the other hand, there is also this.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Old Father Time has a message for 2014 - Happy new year from Chris Riddell"

Sunday Telegraph:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Collins is not very consistent when it comes to drawing eyes, but the slit/line is something he has used in the past, for non-Asian characters (cf. Indie guitarist, dentist dog). On the other hand, there is also this.

Well the picture of him in the glasses in that last cartoon completely undermines my position, fair enough I was totally wrong, it is an inexcusably racist caricature.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is it Collins' fault that style of glasses are enjoying a resurgence?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Far worse than any racism is the fact that his comics just aren't funny.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Everyone and everything is racist, I can tell by the pixels.
:goonsay:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Loving the Hartlepool reference in this one.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is it Collins' fault that style of glasses are enjoying a resurgence?

It's his fault that he chose to draw lines for eyes on an caricature of an asian person without considering whether that evoked stereotypical and racist depictions, the glasses just convinced me that mfcrocker and sedanchair were right when they said those were his eyes.

Fluo posted:

Everyone and everything is racist, I can tell by the pixels.
:goonsay:

No one actually called him a racist though did they? Just because you like his work doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't criticise an entirely inappropriate manner of depiction for an ethnic minority.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Puntification posted:

It's his fault that he chose to draw lines for eyes on an caricature of an asian person without considering whether that evoked stereotypical and racist depictions, the glasses just convinced me that mfcrocker and sedanchair were right when they said those were his eyes.

No one actually called him a racist though did they? Just because you like his work doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't criticise an entirely inappropriate manner of depiction for an ethnic minority.

Cliff Racer posted:

Far worse than any racism is the fact that his comics just aren't funny.

For me this is the stupidest derail this thread has ever been on. I found Collins hilarious for about 5 cartoons after which I've got his shtick and he's kind of dull. Still, he's not racist in any way shape or form.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't say there was racism in his comics, I think they do an acceptable job of getting his physical looks across though they don't do a good job of sharing his personality (which is what they aught to do.) I merely left the possibility open so that the whiner brigade wouldn't jump down my throat about his eyes being racist. As I said, the real issue is that his work is unfunny which, since it never has anything politically relevant to say nor has any hidden bird images, means that the comics are totally worthless.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Not to mention the whole cartoon is a retread of that Putin one from last year.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Michael Gove's first world war comments - Tristram Hunt says education secretary's attack on 'unpatriotic' views is a shocking attempt at political point-scoring" After Bruce Bainsfather.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Blackadder star Sir Tony Robinson in Michael Gove WW1 row

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's welfare cuts plan – Chancellor demands that roughly half of future spending cuts in the next parliament come from welfare budget"

Telegraph:

UK storms: Giant waves hit amid fresh flooding fears

Mail:
"The Chancellor is looking to penalise big earners who are living in council houses."

quote:

“Watch out. They’re in a foul mood. Apparently George Osborne may be targeting better off tenants living in council houses.”

Express:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't read this any other way than that Osborne hasn't improved anything, and is willing to use any natural incident to make fake claims about how bad Labour were. Is this an actual Good Cartoon?

quote:

Mail:
"The Chancellor is looking to penalise big earners who are living in council houses."

Is mac insinuating that the Finest Family might be living at massive taxpayer expense? :monocle:
edit: Nope. I glossed over it and saw servants, so assumed it was a Royals jab.

quote:

Express:

Fox on the bag, badger on the tree, bird on the bush far left. Those are black bags in the boat, not decoy badgers as I first thought.
I hope the boat doesn't hit that huge sign announcing what is going on :ohdear:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I'M USING A MOBILE TELEPHONE

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SedanChair posted:

Haha it's a brick with a phone symbol on it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

SedanChair posted:

Now that is a great avatar waiting to happen.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

A rowson for tribune magazine.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Geokinesis posted:

A rowson for tribune magazine.

I guess now we know how they refill the Massive Fur Cup.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the serious disorder at HMP Oakwood - Labour calls on justice secretary to give G4S firm six months to improve situation at prison facing series of disturbances"

Telegraph:

David Cameron's hair stylist 'honoured' by MBE

Yesterday's Independent:

After Magritte

Independent:

Nigel Farage calls for five-year ban on migrant benefits

Mail:
"Practically the whole of the UK is suffering from floods."

quote:

“Welcome to the UK. Will passengers please swim to the rear doors where a boat will take them to the baggage reclaim….”

Express:

MirrorCameron knows where you live!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"Practically the whole of the UK is suffering from floods."
I know it's the Mail and also sort of a minor thing to get annoyed about, but do parts of SE England and the Midlands really count as "practically the whole of the UK"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

big scary monsters posted:

I know it's the Mail and also sort of a minor thing to get annoyed about, but do parts of SE England and the Midlands really count as "practically the whole of the UK"?

For all of the national media outlets: yes.

• Locked thread