Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

macnbc posted:

I'm not like that earlier guy who thinks that this has ruined digital goods forever for me

The 3DS was for my wife and she seems to like it now that she can actually use it, but I think I'll be looking at a Vita for myself in the future.

Reading comprehension :ughh: followed by validating the exact point I was making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

poonchasta posted:

Why do you want to get a 6th (7th?) 3ds?

Seriously, why in the hell are you doing that many system transfers on a regular basis?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a specific reason nintendo doesn't sell GBA or Super NES games on the 3DS Eshop?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

If we could buy earthbound on 3ds there would be even less reason to get a wii u?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a specific reason nintendo doesn't sell GBA or Super NES games on the 3DS Eshop?

SNES because it's a TV console and not a handheld, which has been the line they've drawn (home consoles get home console ports, handhelds get handheld ports).

GBA because they have forever ahead of them to fill with content and whether they release GBA content in 2014 or 2018, we're going to buy it up, so what's the rush on their part? I suspect we'll have to wait for the next handheld to get GBA stuff, but others have said the GB/GBC library isn't deep enough to get us there. Time will tell!

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 27, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Huxley posted:

SNES because it's a TV console and not a handheld, which has been the line they've drawn (home consoles get home console ports, handhelds get handheld ports).

What about all those NES games?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Huxley posted:

This only makes sense if you forget you can buy NES games on the 3DS.

The real answer is there's no rhyme or reason for it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was thinking about picking up Ocarina of Time to go along with my new Zelda 3DS and ALBW, and noticed it was still $40 in the eshop, and on Amazon. Are there any better deals around for it? If not I'll just buy it digitally.

Also thinking about picking up the Oracle games because I haven't played them in years. Oh well do they translate to the 3DS?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

This only makes sense if you forget you can buy NES games on the 3DS.

The real answer is there's no rhyme or reason for it.

I think quite a few of the NES games were ported to GBA already and are grandfathered in, but maybe not all of them. It seems like a rule they put into effect this generation. Not saying they won't break it in the future, but for the time being that's their rhyme and reason, at least.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just bought my 3DS today, being delivered tomorrow. Hype as gently caress for it. I got it with SMB which gives me SM3DW for free too. Next on my list for purchases are Monster Hunter and Link Between Worlds.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The not having SNES/GBA games on 3DS has to do with accuracy and not if they can do it. Each virtual console game is tweaked specifically for a certain game, and in the case of the 3DS, it just does not have enough power to run games to the standard Nintendo wants. Even the GBA games on the 3DS have trouble, utilizing hardware that requires a lot of things like the home menu and sleep mode to be disabled just to run properly. Crappy emulators with speed hacks will run yes, but there will be graphical glitches and other things Nintendo just won't stand for. I feel like this is posted constantly but bears repeating.

The thing is, it takes time and resources that they prefer to dedicate to new games. Maybe not as much as with a completely new game, but it still requires someone to tweak the emulator and someone to play test it. They would rather dedicate their programming resources to making new games.

TL/DR: Nintendo doesn't hate money, but recognizes when the total amount of money made from nostalgia won't keep up with the money spent in development.

E:

Nintendo of America posted:

We saw some questions about why we're taking the Nintendo eShop offline between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. ET and how it will help.
The Nintendo eShop will be offline at different times around the world to manage traffic volume until full operation is restored.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 27, 2013

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huxley posted:

GBA because they have forever ahead of them to fill with content and whether they release GBA content in 2014 or 2018, we're going to buy it up, so what's the rush on their part? I suspect we'll have to wait for the next handheld to get GBA stuff, but others have said the GB/GBC library isn't deep enough to get us there. Time will tell!

I can't remember when, but Nintendo announced they were putting GBA titles on the Wii U VC.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EC posted:

I was thinking about picking up Ocarina of Time to go along with my new Zelda 3DS and ALBW, and noticed it was still $40 in the eshop, and on Amazon. Are there any better deals around for it? If not I'll just buy it digitally.

I wouldn't hold your breath. First party Nintendo titles are notorious for almost never going on sale. Even the Gamestop near me was trying to sell a used, cartridge-only copy for $40.

The good news is, the game is well-worth $40. The graphics are improved, the game runs better (higher framerate,) touch screen controls help out a lot, and it includes Master Quest a la the Gamecube port if you care about that. It's the definitive version of Ocarina of Time, and the optional 3D (which is generally good, but just as annoying as almost every other game in 3D) only adds to the awesomeness.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

EC posted:

Also thinking about picking up the Oracle games because I haven't played them in years. Oh well do they translate to the 3DS?

Just wait, I snagged a copy on sale for about $20 or less at Best Buy over the summer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Best Buy (and other retail stores) clear out their stock of older Nintendo games during the summer. After that, they immediately go back to New prices for a used copy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dehry posted:

Even the GBA games on the 3DS have trouble, utilizing hardware that requires a lot of things like the home menu and sleep mode to be disabled just to run properly.
That's not really the case, they're not disabling anything because GBA games are ran in an environment in which those things don't exist. The 3DS actually has 4 firmwares: 3DS mode, a safe mode state for system updates, and DS and GBA compatibility modes that set up the traps necessary to make those games run natively.

The 3DS could probably emulate GBA games just fine, the current solution is just something they kind of threw together as a stopgap when the ambassador poo poo was going down. And the extent to which they "tweak the VC emulator" is probably overstated, but we probably shouldn't get into that.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
So my roommate has a 3DS now, and we're getting Streetpasses from each other like crazy. Just curious, is there an upper limit for the number of times that can happen, or are we going to cutting a bloody swath through each other's Find Mii games at level 99 or something?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Complexcalibur posted:

So my roommate has a 3DS now, and we're getting Streetpasses from each other like crazy. Just curious, is there an upper limit for the number of times that can happen, or are we going to cutting a bloody swath through each other's Find Mii games at level 99 or something?

Level 7 is the max.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Complexcalibur posted:

You can get as many Streetpasses as you like, but the level for Find Mii maxes out at 7.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Complexcalibur posted:

It used to be that when you would streetpass, the other person's Mii would max out saying "We've met 99 times!" My ex who I lived with and I must have streetpassed at least 150 times.

However, when I ran into her the other day, we streetpassed and her Mii said it was the 100th time we had met, so that must have been part of the big Streetpass Mii Plaza update.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I like how everyone complaining about Nintendo's eShop servers getting overloaded on Christmas seems to have forgotten the major problems that other the companies have had that were way worse than a few days of problems. Like when Xbox Live (that wonderful paid service) went down for 11 days. Or when Sony got hacked and had to take the PSN down for 24 days.

Not that I'm saying it's okay, mind you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canned Panda posted:

I like how everyone complaining about Nintendo's eShop servers getting overloaded on Christmas seems to have forgotten the major problems that other the companies have had that were way worse than a few days of problems. Like when Xbox Live (that wonderful paid service) went down for 11 days. Or when Sony got hacked and had to take the PSN down for 24 days.

So why say it at all.

All 3 situations where lovely.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Canned Panda posted:

To be fair, a lot of people freaked the gently caress out at those outages at the time, too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear the fuckheads in Starfox take a lot more damage in the 3DS version, and gently caress that useless, piece of cocksucking garbage named Slippy, I cannot believe how often he gets shot down, and its always him to, never the other 2 wastes of space. :argh:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I received a Zelda Bundle 3DS for Christmas, and thanks to this thread I'm not touching the thing til I've got everything (I think) I need for it. I already ordered a new case, Hori XL screen protectors, and those little plastic bumper things... Though I can't remember what the bumpers are for. I just knew I was supposed to get them. Can't wait to try it out though! It's such a pretty machine. :allears:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Canned Panda posted:

In both of those cases they gave out free games to say sorry (granted Microsoft gave out a lovely XBLA game no-one wanted) so hopefully we'll get a free VC game out of this or something.

And then the network goes down again when everyone tries to download their free game at once.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Were Trace Memory or Time Hollow any good?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pyrovile posted:

In both of those cases they gave out free games to say sorry (granted Microsoft gave out a lovely XBLA game no-one wanted) so hopefully we'll get a free VC game out of this or something.

And then the network goes down again when everyone tries to download their free game at once.

Hopefully so. They were kind enough to give away a free NES VC game back when they made the internet browser free to people who paid for it on the Wii so hopefully they give us our choice of free game instead of choosing like one or two for us.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finishing ALBW and I gotta say I haven't enjoyed a game so much since Dark Souls which is like 2.5 years old now. It had some major flaws but goddamn it was fun as hell to play and I'm kind of sad it's over.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anatharon posted:

Were Trace Memory or Time Hollow any good?

I really like both of them. Trace Memory is more puzzles, Time Hollow is more story and shorter.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know if this is a fair comparison. But goddamn does SMB3 look like absolute poo poo when compared to all the recent Genesis ports on the 3DS right now. Sonic looks loving amazing. SMB3 looks really crappy.

I forgot about the pepper as a weapon in Streets of Rage - Awesome! Great memories have been uhh remembered.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Is the Adventure Time game from the DS any good? Apparently the new one is garbage which makes me really sad, as the premise sounds pretty much perfect.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Digital Jesus posted:

Is the Adventure Time game from the DS any good? Apparently the new one is garbage which makes me really sad, as the premise sounds pretty much perfect.

I think the overall opinion on the original one was "decent but short".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also that it had some great tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp7GsRKLmJs

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Can you get more than one pass off a relay? I passed two relays yesterday and wound up with six passes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bean posted:

Can you get more than one pass off a relay? I passed two relays yesterday and wound up with six passes.

You're supposed to get up to six, I thought, but the most I ever get is three.

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast

Digital Jesus posted:

I got the new one for Christmas. Haven't played too much, but I can already tell it's going to be repetitive and boring as all hell.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I just got my 3DS and I was trolling the eShop this morning and I couldn't find any SNES games in the virtual console. When I was checking around online I thought I saw you could download tons of games like Chrono Trigger, old Final Fantasies, or any SNES classic but it seems that I'm only seeing NES and Game Boy games, is the SNES stuff only available on the WiiU?

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I just got my 3DS and I was trolling the eShop this morning and I couldn't find any SNES games in the virtual console. When I was checking around online I thought I saw you could download tons of games like Chrono Trigger, old Final Fantasies, or any SNES classic but it seems that I'm only seeing NES and Game Boy games, is the SNES stuff only available on the WiiU?

Pretty much correct.

Here's a list of available games from Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Anyone wanna buy a new, barely used 3DS w/Link Between Worlds? lmao :-/

• Locked thread