Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Have you ever seen The Life of Brian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

My sig is from ghost in the shell stand alone complex.

Also

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah but there sure are a lot of 15 year olds with the same dickwaving looky at my totally old and rare and cool bro guitar attitude

Sorry :buddy:

e: also lol @ thousands of dollars spent on minor variations in tones

You are stupid.

All of my instruments have different electronics with very different tones, and I augment them with home-modded switches to make drastic changes in gain structure, treble response, and attack and sustain.

You are stupid about guitars. Dummy.

Senorita Stinkers posted:

Have you ever seen The Life of Brian?
Always look at the bright side of life.

A little advice you negative Nancies should take from time to time.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

You are stupid.

All of my instruments have different electronics with very different tones, and I augment them with home-modded switches to make drastic changes in gain structure, treble response, and attack and sustain.

You are stupid about guitars. Dummy.

You spent thousands of dollars on different bodies for pickups and lol I can do that too it's called a computer or effects pedals

I bet those 4 guitars I saw that look like a paint swap totally have like $5000 worth of "tone difference" between them

e: hey look I can make "Drastic changes in attack and sustain" with this too and it's free with an y synth ever made

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 28, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

here is an ugly guitar i spent $20 on

it's from Aldi and it sounds like a wax cylinder recording of a strangled cat

it has frog stickers on it because i had frog stickers

E: pretend i wrote a long and detailed post about the history of aldi here to prove my knowledge of the manufacturer

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

You are stupid.

I don't believe you. We want to see frequency graphs plox.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Dewgy posted:

here is an ugly guitar i spent $20 on

it's from Aldi and it sounds like a wax cylinder recording of a strangled cat

it has frog stickers on it because i had frog stickers

spray paint it black

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spray paint it black

i'd have gotten a plain one if i wanted to do that, look at that loving bubblegum pink though

it's so beautiful

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

You spent thousands of dollars on different bodies for pickups and lol I can do that too it's called a computer or effects pedals

I bet those 4 guitars I saw that look like a paint swap totally have like $5000 worth of "tone difference" between them
A) You don't know what I spent on what
B) They are for discerning musicians who can make such judgements
C) You know nothing except your preconceptions, which are worthless as your opinions

Photex posted:

I don't believe you. We want to see frequency graphs plox.

They would tell you nothing. Instead, just listen to the first two tindeck tracks I posted. They are the same instrument, yet they sound nothing alike. Welcome to the matrix.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

C) You know nothing except your preconceptions, which are worthless as your opinions

D) :dong:
E) :flaccid:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ha ha ha "discerning musicians" are more often than not idiots that think magical juju totally unrelated to sound generation makes a deep and intimate difference in their music. Also lol I can replace your gear with free software.

quote:

They would tell you nothing. Instead, just listen to the first two tindeck tracks I posted. They are the same instrument, yet they sound nothing alike. Welcome to the matrix.
I can fart through a mic thousands of times and never have it sound the same whoopity doo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I get it! You're E!

Xen Tricks posted:

Ha ha ha "discerning musicians" are more often than not idiots that think magical juju totally unrelated to sound generation makes a deep and intimate difference in their music. Also lol I can replace your gear with free software.

So do it! Show me! Knock my socks off, genius.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Xen Tricks posted:

e: hey look I can make "Drastic changes in attack and sustain" with this too and it's free with an y synth ever made

It's funny because if you ever watch rig rundowns with a lot of the 80s and 90s guys now they all switched to Fractal AxeFXs because they can just feed their old master recordings in and get exact models and patches made in minutes. It also costs a gently caress ton less when touring when you don't need to haul a ton of poo poo.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

It's funny because if you ever watch rig rundowns with a lot of the 80s and 90s guys now they all switched to Fractal AxeFXs because they can just feed their old master recordings in and get exact models and patches made in minutes. It also costs a gently caress ton less when touring when you don't need to haul a ton of poo poo.

Until the DSP dies and you have no sound coming out of your rig and the whole band has to stop playing while you swap out Fractals. O wait, you only had one? Well, you're hosed!

Hahaha a classical guitar with a fedora on it lolz can I haz drone stringz?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Photex posted:

Almost any old keyboardist says that modern smaller digital synths are a godsend compared to hauling around hundreds of pounds of fragile poo poo when they can just get the same sound for cheaper and easier. Technology kicks the poo poo out of nostalgia most times

Dr. Faustus posted:

I get it! You're E!

So do it! Show me! Knock my socks off, genius.

ok http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-pro/

also you didn't deny that musicians (and everyone else ever) are superstitious morons

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Almost any old keyboardist says that modern smaller digital synths are a godsend compared to hauling around hundreds of pounds of fragile poo poo when they can just get the same sound for cheaper and easier. Technology kicks the poo poo out of nostalgia most times

Except when heavy as poo poo analog gear can survive falling off a truck at 75 MPH and survive a burning building but a DSP can't survive a voltage blip.

Bleep blorp all instruments are the same I am a computer bloop bleep I sound like Jimmy Page until someone hits CTRL

Xen Tricks posted:

also you didn't deny that musicians (and everyone else ever) are superstitious morons
No one told me that was a thing.

I am not a superstitious moron. I cannot speak for anyone else.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was going to dick wave how I work in live production but it wouldn't matter because you still wouldn't understand and at the end of the day you're still in your basement while I'm setting up and tearing rigs everyday.

Photex fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 28, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Photex posted:

I was going to dick wave how I work in live production but it wouldn't matter because you still wouldn't understand

yo shut up man you're lying and probably POOR and oh god why does no one care

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Except when heavy as poo poo analog gear can survive falling off a truck at 75 MPH and survive a burning building but a DSP can't survive a voltage blip.

Bleep blorp all instruments are the same I am a computer bloop bleep I sound like Jimmy Page until someone hits CTRL

lmfao

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha h ha loving ha ha ha try dropping a yamaha cs-80 or a moog modular or an old siel/whatever the hell else whose oscillators go out of tune if you so much as bang it

You're an idiot who doesn't know anything about gear besides your little six stringers

Try even moving a mellotron, go on, try it, show me "genius"

Drop this out your truck fucker

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 28, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
yo watch it bro, he has money and a job

and a dog

you don't know who you're messin with

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

I was going to dick wave how I work in live production but it wouldn't matter because you still wouldn't understand
No man, I wanna grok your real life cred, tell me about your live production. What instrumentation is involved in your show and how much redundancy do you keep around? What gear do you use?
Wave your dick, I am an old hand at live production and dick waving, too.

Don't leave me :flaccid:.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/cQ6UY9d.jpg :nws:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

No man, I wanna grok your real life cred, tell me about your live production. What instrumentation is involved in your show and how much redundancy do you keep around? What gear do you use?
Wave your dick, I am an old hand at live production and dick waving, too.

Don't leave me :flaccid:.

sorry it's a 4 hour minimum freelancers fee for me to give you a show rundown.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha h ha loving ha ha ha try dropping a yamaha cs-80 or a moog modular or an old siel/whatever the hell else whose oscillators go out of tune if you so much as bang it

You're an idiot who doesn't know anything about gear besides your little six stringers

Try even moving a mellotron, go on, try it, show me "genius"
Wait, why are you trying to equate your MOOG poo poo or other synth poo poo to my world of guitar amplifier emulators in a box? Who's the loving idiot, again? Care to explain to me what your ancient singularity machines have to do with modern amp modeling or FractalFXs or PODHDs or Amplitube software on a laptop?

Because they are not the same beasts at all, you loving dipshit.

Photex posted:

sorry it's a 4 hour minimum freelancers fee for me to give you a show rundown.

Oh, ok, then feel free to go gently caress yourself.
Oh wait, I found your 4 hour freelancer's fee in my couch cushions. I'll paypal it to you and you can reveal your big secrets.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 28, 2013

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
I liked Fender on fb a while ago and they keep putting things like this in my newsfeed

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Wait, why are you trying to equate your MOOG poo poo or other synth poo poo to my world of guitar amplifier emulators in a box? Who's the loving idiot, again? Care to explain to me what your ancient singularity machines have to do with modern amp modeling or FractalFXs or PODHDs or Amplitube software on a laptop?

Because they are not the same beasts at all, you loving dipshit.

Lol "ancient singularity machine" *plays an instrument with the same design as 70 years ago" also it's Moog, it was a name, it's not all caps

And the point is the same, old stuff sounds good but is extremely expensive and fragile where as all the poo poo you do with custom modeling and tone difference and all that lah dee dah can be contained in modern digital systems that give an all but indiscernible sound for 1/10th the price and much more reliability

also lololol http://www.musiciansfriend.com/power-conditioners-surge-protectors I wonder what these are for your little "voltage blips"

also also also you "world of guitar amplifier emulators" wouldn't exist without my "ancient singularity machines" I don't think DSP technology just sprouted out of your rear end in a top hat

and your midi controlled hardware is courtesy of mr. Dave Smith, an engineer and synth designer

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 28, 2013

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
oh wow that is kind of awesome and awful at the same time

Dr. Faustus posted:

Oh, ok, then feel free to go gently caress yourself.
Oh wait, I found your 4 hour freelancer's fee in my couch cushions. I'll paypal it to you and you can reveal your big secrets.

seriously what do you do for a living

who else gets paid to put up with you on a daily basis

because the paycheck bragging really does make you look like a humongous baby

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Lol "ancient singularity machine" *plays an instrument with the same design as 70 years ago" also it's Moog, it was a name, it's not all caps

And the point is the same, old stuff sounds good but is extremely expensive and fragile where as all the poo poo you do with custom modeling and tone difference and all that lah dee dah can be contained in modern digital systems that give an all but indiscernible sound for 1/10th the price and much more reliability

also lololol http://www.musiciansfriend.com/power-conditioners-surge-protectors I wonder what these are for your little "voltage blips"

also also also you "world of guitar amplifier emulators" wouldn't exist without my "ancient singularity machines" I don't think DSP technology just sprouted out of your rear end in a top hat

That's not the point at all. The point is there are still few live guitarists who want the link from their hands to the ears of their audience to be a DSP. Sorry, that's just how it is. They are evolving and improving, but they are far from robust proven tech like, say, a 1970's Marshall Plexi head and cabinet still is today.
Stick that in your rear end in a top hat, ok?

Dewgy posted:

oh wow that is kind of awesome and awful at the same time

seriously what do you do for a living

who else gets paid to put up with you on a daily basis

because the paycheck bragging really does make you look like a humongous baby

I work a normal blue-collar job for 40 hours a week and take good care of myself and my dog. I am not bragging about my paycheck, I am saying that yon's freelance fee is worth gently caress-all to me and the industry in general. There's a huge difference.

I worked hard as loving hell for my gear and I sacrificed a lot, and I cherish it. That's why it's such a slap in the face when douchebags like you who know nothing of where we came from, or what the gear is, make callout threads to dick with ME about my beloved instruments. No matter how you slice it, it's a shithead rear end in a top hat move. I just play along and try to provide perspective.
I'm excellent at the work I do, and I've been doing it a long time, and I try to improve every day. If you knew what I made in a year you'd be shocked at how I make it all work.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

its always a bit shocking when someone with an ancient regdate shows up posting like a complete fucker

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's not the point at all. The point is there are still few live guitarists who want the link from their hands to the ears of their audience to be a DSP. Sorry, that's just how it is. They are evolving and improving, but they are far from robust proven tech like, say, a 1970's Marshall Plexi head and cabinet still is today.
Stick that in your rear end in a top hat, ok?

No one said to replace your precious stacks with an amp modeler and computer speakers, none of your "custom tone" and all the other jazz you waste money on even has to do with your amp and loving lol if you think most live guitarists don't use DSP in their line to provide the integral sound. First off what are effect pedals, and second if you think guitarists don't love the ability to craft their tones in one consolidated box then you're a dinosaur

http://www.guitargeek.com/stephen-carpenter-deftones-guitar-rig-and-gear-setup-2011/

Hey what's this it's a very popular band whose lead guitarist's line starts with guitar rig maybe you should go bitch at him about DPS and authenticity while he's loving girls and making money that you're spending on your precious custom tone switches

I'm sure fans of their three platinum albums sure do hate that lack of a real nice authentic tone that all your fans love

quote:

I worked hard as loving hell for my gear and I sacrificed a lot, and I cherish it. That's why it's such a slap in the face when douchebags like you who know nothing of where we came from, or what the gear is, make callout threads to dick with ME about my beloved instruments. No matter how you slice it, it's a shithead rear end in a top hat move. I just play along and try to provide perspective.
I'm excellent at the work I do, and I've been doing it a long time, and I try to improve every day. If you knew what I made in a year you'd be shocked at how I make it all work.
Maybe you would have had to sacrifice less if you spent your money better idk just tryin to help :q:

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 28, 2013

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Gibson SGs aren't pretty but then there's these...

Gibson Zoot

I kinda like the coloured one though

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

you're a dinosaur
I'm proud to be a dinosaur, if that's what it means to use tried-and-true tech. The "Dolly Parton is successful" argument means dick to me. I'm a working man and I use what I have, I don't get to go on tour and have roadies and poo poo. I have to make music by the means I can afford.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm proud to be a dinosaur, if that's what it means to use tried-and-true tech. The "Dolly Parton is successful" argument means dick to me. I'm a working man and I use what I have, I don't get to go on tour and have roadies and poo poo. I have to make music by the means I spend too much money on because I'm a hack.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xen Tricks posted:

http://www.guitargeek.com/stephen-carpenter-deftones-guitar-rig-and-gear-setup-2011/

Hey what's this it's a very popular band whose lead guitarist's line starts with guitar rig maybe you should go bitch at him about DPS and authenticity while he's loving girls and making money that you're spending on your precious custom tone switches

I'm sure fans of their three platinum albums sure do hate that lack of a real nice authentic tone that all your fans love

to be totally fair, deftones aren't 'very popular', certainly not today, nor is popularity even a good measure for musical talent to begin with.

otoh, steph is a goddamn magician at making awesome riffs that are simple to play at the same time, i.e. the exact kind of poo poo faustus probably hates because it's not massively douchebag pretentious poo poo that's technically involved but ultimately soulless and boring poo poo like what steve vai writes.

Fair Hallion posted:

Gibson SGs aren't pretty but then there's these...

excuse the gently caress outta me, but the gibson sg is the best looking guitar ever made, jerk.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm proud to be a dinosaur, if that's what it means to use tried-and-true tech. The "Dolly Parton is successful" argument means dick to me. I'm a working man and I use what I have, I don't get to go on tour and have roadies and poo poo. I have to make music by the means I can afford.

if that was even remotely close to the truth you would only have like 2 guitars, a few old effects pedals and a amp you got from a pawn shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wall Balls posted:

its always a bit shocking when someone with an ancient regdate shows up posting like a complete fucker
It's not the least bit shocking when someone makes a regdate argument of any kind.

if that was even remotely close to the truth you would only have like 2 guitars, a few old effects pedals and a amp you got from a pawn shop

And what, exactly, would you know about it? You don't make sacrifices in your life for things you are passionate about? Sorry I try to balance my obligations with my passions, I guess you know better.

Cannot Find Server posted:

because it's not massively douchebag pretentious poo poo that's technically involved but ultimately soulless and boring poo poo like what steve vai writes.

You should know better. Sit down and listen to "Call It Sleep" or "Tender Surrender" and tell me Steve Vai has no soul.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 28, 2013

• Locked thread